supersaver

Author Topic: Spyware  (Read 211 times)

Offline Fern Amethyst

Spyware
«: December 12, 2017, 12:11:16 PM»
I have a firewall, defender, ad-block, etc. Yet this is the third time I've gotten spyware from this site and had to remove it. Is there some plan to stop this? How are your users supposed to sell/trade if their computers are getting infected?  :'(

Offline Confetti

Re: Spyware
«Reply #1: December 12, 2017, 01:09:58 PM»
Is.. is that how all these PUP files got through my protection? :'(

Offline Fern Amethyst

«Reply #2: December 12, 2017, 02:55:05 PM»
Is.. is that how all these PUP files got through my protection? :'(

Probably! I really hope there will be a solution. ;;

Offline Mayim

«Reply #3: December 12, 2017, 10:22:06 PM»
Unless you're clicking ads or actively downloading I'm not even sure what from Alt Market, it is highly unlikely that you are getting the adware from FAM itself. Most times people assume the origin of a problem is when the problem is brought to their attention while doing something (e.g. browsing FAM) when the truth is that they picked up the problematic item or virus many days or even weeks beforehand.

Be sure that you are using browser addons like uBlock Origin to prevent things like this from happening, do not download any items or click strange banners, and remember: keep your protection updated!

Offline Fern Amethyst

«Reply #4: December 12, 2017, 10:28:00 PM»
Yeah, I'm not an idiot clicking on every thing I see. I don't click on anything other than the valid FAM board links. I already stated I have an ad-blocker and it works just fine on every site other than this one. I see multiple other people have this issue as well. I know it's this site, as I only ever come on this site for 3 minutes or less at a time.

Offline Mayim

«Reply #5: December 13, 2017, 08:30:15 AM»
No one is calling anyone an idiot here. The fact is that while you can get malware simply by visiting unsecure sites via something called an exploit kit, or EK, that the chances of it actually coming from FAM is unlikely.
One thing to consider... Your adblocker may also have what I call a sellable porthole; some adblocking software will allow companies to pay to be added to their safe list, meaning they are not actually ever blocked. You need no special qualifications for this, only money. This is why it is important to be very cateful of your choices in software. I personally recommend Malwarebytes as they include a free EK blocker with their program.
I have been a member and moderator for years and have never experienced an issue with FAM or FAZ. Nevertheless, Narnia has been asked to double check all our backdoors and ads.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:32:36 AM by Mayim »

Offline Intellectual Music

«Reply #6: December 13, 2017, 11:35:33 AM»
I would like to add to this (and not to argue I'm just stating information). FAM is routinely labeled an unsafe site by both my work and home computer. Interestingly enough when it's actually "blocked" (completely) it's not blocked "100 percent" of the time meaning there is something on/attached to it that is unsafe and not necessarily FAM itself. That alone validates the issues some others and myself have had. You don't always need to "click" on anything external to download certain malicious programs either. Visiting the page (that page being a valid FAM url link) is sometimes all that is needed for certain and more sophisticated programs to begin the process of infection because of vulnerabilities that do not require execution to run. In fact for a good while FAM was completely blocked from my work computer and now today Firefox labels the FAM sign in as unsafe and does not recommend using it at all.

There is an issue and while it might not be the FAM site it is definitely some of the things that are "attaching" themselves to it. Again this is only verified information being offered and I'm not looking to cause any issues just give more information.

Thank you,
~IM
Discord Rules: Direct messages are locked 99% of the time. However, I will unlock for trade once PM contact has been establish. Trade with Registered Users Only!

Trading Negotiations: When negotiating I calculate the fair cost of an item with relevance to profit as well as availability and going price on both sides. Just because something is selling for a price doesn’t mean it’s “worth” that price. In other words a break down. Why are some prices cutthroat? Because I’m “expecting” to be bid up (haggling is fun XD). On the rare occasion there are some things I just will not pay more than the posted price for and would rather wait an over extended amount of time for it. So don’t be shy!

Offline Fern Amethyst

«Reply #7: December 13, 2017, 03:36:13 PM»
I have Malwarebytes and a fully functioning ad-blocker.

Thanks for adding your experience, Intellectual Music.

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #8: December 13, 2017, 07:05:35 PM»
Fern, may I ask which adblocker you're using?

When we've been prompted about this issue in the past, we've heard of this being more prominent with users who use ABP, which is one of the aforementioned ad-blockers with the issues Mayim has outlined.

uBlock Origin has been proposed as a functioning alternative to that particular adblocker in hopes to nip the issues in the bud.

I've used it and the classic AdBlock via Chrome and have not seen these pop up issues in my experiences here.

It might not be much, but it's something while we wait on Narnia to look into the ads on our end.

Offline Fern Amethyst

«Reply #9: December 13, 2017, 08:00:53 PM»
Yeah, I have ABP. I had uBlock Origin before, but was then told ABP is better. I will switch, as I think you are right about that. Thanks.

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #10: December 13, 2017, 08:20:54 PM»
Yeah I highly recommend nixing ABP and switching to uBlock or AdBlock, and perhaps looking into Ghostery as well, just to have your bases covered.

To anyone else who seems to have this as a persisting issue and your adblocker of choice is ABP, NIX IT.

It tends to be the most common adblocker that pops up with considerable issues when it comes to ads and this site.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #11: December 14, 2017, 10:45:14 AM»
Step 1) Stop using ABP, it's literal shit.
Step 2) See no more malicious ads when you use a adblocer that's worth a damn.
Step 3) If you still see them, go make your own site and stop bitching here. Despite all the money that changes hands between users, we see none of it and this site doesn't even pay for its own operation at this point.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."