supersaver

Author Topic: FAZ Malware  (Read 311 times)

Offline Jack Lantern

FAZ Malware
«: February 26, 2017, 09:21:19 AM»
Been noticing the last couple of weeks that when you try to get onto FAZ there's a piece of adware/malware that pops up claiming you don't have the appropriate font and linking you to a fake google chrome extension. I assumed that it would have been fixed by now given how much time has passed but it's still happening so I made an account to post here. You can block it if you have ad block by right clicking it and going to Ad Block > Block Ad and moving the slider all the way to the right, but Ad Block doesn't block it by default. Please either remove the ad or temporarily disable the site to prevent further damage to user's computers.

http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/HoeflerText-font-chrome.html

It looks like that.

Offline Zim

Re: FAZ Malware
«Reply #1: February 26, 2017, 03:24:12 PM»
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will notify Narnia immediately.

(Also, I'd highly recommend Ublock Origin over AB and ABP because of memory leaks and paid bypasses)

Edit: Narnia has been informed and he said he will look into it.

Also moved to a more appropriate section.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:11:18 PM by Zim »

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Jack Lantern

«Reply #2: April 03, 2017, 06:28:18 PM»
It's still present on FAZ and has appeared on FAM as well.

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: April 03, 2017, 07:28:37 PM»
https://support.google.com/adsense/troubleshooter/1190500?hl=en

Narnia suggests reporting the offending ad, since we can't remove individual ads, and none of us have seen the malware you're speaking of.

Offline Noctis

«Reply #4: April 14, 2017, 01:04:44 PM»
I can confirm at least 3 other people with accounts of this particular malware, including myself. It's very likely it is an ad doing it, however it gets past adblockers anyways so it's hard to tell which one is the culprit. The other thing I noticed is that once you're targeted, it doesn't matter if the ad in question appears on the site - it will destroy the webpage anyways. By that I mean it won't matter if Jack manages to block the ad, they have to manually remove the malware from their computer at this point.

Here's a fix: https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/ This is a direct link to a download for Malwarebytes AdwCleaner. It did the trick for me and a few others I know. No problems since.

Odi et amo, quare id facere forasse requiris... Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Offline Zim

«Reply #5: April 14, 2017, 01:56:18 PM»
Thanks for that, Noctis!

And as a reminder for those that missed it:

Narnia has looked into the issue and determined that it's not a problem on our end, but with Google AdSense, and needs to be reported to them immediately. The more reports the better, since there's literally nothing we can do to fix it beyond that.

supersaver