supersaver

Author Topic: WARNING: Alt Deletions (NO MORE ALT* or ALT. NAMES)  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Kiwi

WARNING: Alt Deletions (NO MORE ALT* or ALT. NAMES)
«: August 02, 2007, 12:24:50 PM»
Dear FAM Community,

The alt list will be purged of all duplicate alts. This means any alts beginning or ending with *. ., or any other symbol will be removed from the database. If you own the alt which has been deleted it is your responsibility to get in contact with the owner, through private message or otherwise and ask them remove the original alt so you can add it to your own list. You can check the recent forum activity of a member by following these instructions. However, it only takes into account whether they have posted on the forums.

If the owner does not seem to be active or respond (you can see if they read a private message by checking your Private Message Outbox) then you can turn to the Questions and Support - Alt Removals forum for administrative alt removal.

A final note of warning: All newly added alts will be deleted on sight if they are duplicates. Please follow the beginning instructions on how to add the alt to your list. Thank you.

FAM Staff
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:09:23 PM by Turquoise »
Furcadia Contacts: Kiwi                                                
Contactable for any reason.
FAQ

Black Rain

«Reply #1: August 02, 2007, 04:30:24 PM»
Thank goodness. It gets REALLY annoying to see those types of alts listed when doing a search for a specific alt.

Edward

«Reply #2: August 02, 2007, 05:27:31 PM»
agreed. something like this was really needed.

also what about purging inactive and unnecessary account names? lots of people have made accounts and either a) never used them. have no forum posts or any lists. or b) have accounts they were once active on, but then died. and have been dead for simply ages. it seems this type of stuff uses needed space and copious amounts of bandwidth that shouldn't be sucked out because people are too lazy to participate. especially there are names people want that were taken and are not being used. this may be something beneficial and could prove useful as well.

Black Rain

«Reply #3: August 02, 2007, 05:39:48 PM»
Didn't they already do a pruning for inactive accounts not long ago?

Edward

«Reply #4: August 02, 2007, 05:43:05 PM»
Quote from: "Black Rain"
Didn't they already do a pruning for inactive accounts not long ago?

hai. but there are STILL tons of inactive accounts. checked on a few and still found ones that have nothing to nearly nothing.

Black Rain

«Reply #5: August 02, 2007, 05:47:46 PM»
Well, as long as they have atleast a couple of alts listed, it should really be that big of a deal.  The ones that don't have anything listed, I can agree on being pruned.

Edward

«Reply #6: August 02, 2007, 06:10:43 PM»
the ones i saw had no alts listed, or a few on a wanted list, but nothing on an owned list.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #7: August 02, 2007, 07:44:49 PM»
We can only determine the activity of an account based on 4 factors:

1) The account is activated.
2) The account has made posts on the forums.
3) The account has alts listed.
4) The account has alts wanted.

Is the account is active (1) and has done any of the other three (2, 3, or 4) it is considered active.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Edward

«Reply #8: August 02, 2007, 07:58:05 PM»
Quote from: "Narnia"
We can only determine the activity of an account based on 4 factors:

1) The account is activated.
2) The account has made posts on the forums.
3) The account has alts listed.
4) The account has alts wanted.

Is the account is active (1) and has done any of the other three (2, 3, or 4) it is considered active.

so if an account has a wanted list, or has made one forum post, but hasn't been activated since, it's considered active? even if it's been pretty much dead for ages? because there are tons of accounts like this.

is there any way to tell when an account that hasn't made any forum posts or has no alt list was active last? because honestly, i think possibly abandoned accounts or abandoned accounts are wasting space that may name fam run smoother. just a suggestion though.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #9: August 02, 2007, 07:59:55 PM»
I gave you my answer to how we can determine activity. With the current forum system we cannot determine it any other way. With FAMv4 this will change.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Edward

«Reply #10: August 02, 2007, 08:02:05 PM»
Quote from: "Narnia"
I gave you my answer to how we can determine activity. With the current forum system we cannot determine it any other way. With FAMv4 this will change.

ouuh i see i see. because purging accounts that have been dead for a certain period of time may aid in the freeing of space and smoother run of the site. hopefully creative gets v4 up soon. :\

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #11: August 02, 2007, 08:07:53 PM»
-claps-
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Yogi (no longer Holly)

«Reply #12: August 02, 2007, 08:33:23 PM»
I would like to propose an idea for alt listing. Since some people may want to have duplicate names to show that perhaps the alt is shared, or they just want to make sure the description of the alt is read, maybe there can be special official marks to show what the status of that alt is. Say the alt is just a duplicate, we can do the normal * mark. If the alt is shared, put a period. If the person would like the alt's description to be read have a ! or a ~?

Just throwing out an idea since I currently am trying my best to handle the whole duplicate alt thing, and I've accidently deleted a couple that I thought were duplicates but were infact the reasons I listed above.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #13: August 03, 2007, 02:26:49 PM»
For now an idea like that would work, if FAM v4 ever gets done the new list will account for these things.

Edward

«Reply #14: August 03, 2007, 06:56:15 PM»
sounds interesting. i'd like to see this happen as well.

creative hurry your bum and get fam v4 up! #SI

Creative

«Reply #15: August 04, 2007, 05:41:28 PM»
Quote from: "Edward"

Read staff boards.

Edward

«Reply #16: August 05, 2007, 09:14:45 AM»
Quote from: "Creative"
Quote from: "Edward"

Read staff boards.

i normally dont read the staff boards; and i know i should more often. but i -just-read the one where you are showing v4 previews and i must say impressive. i like it. :D

can't wait to see it up though.

Creative

«Reply #17: August 15, 2007, 04:03:24 PM»
Deleted all the names with a * in it. Everyone should have gotten an e-mail.

Offline Yogi (no longer Holly)

«Reply #18: August 15, 2007, 04:05:42 PM»
now you must all come to me my children to get back the alts you hold so dear! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
ehem, yeah...just go to Questions and Support or PM me and I'll go about removing the originals xD Don't be skurd, I love removing alts and you'll never catch me in a bad mood. Your alt removals are never an inconvenience <3

Offline Kiwi

«Reply #19: August 18, 2007, 01:07:14 AM»
Your alts are being deleted. Read the first post and we can fix that!
FAQ

Offline Mau

«Reply #20: May 04, 2008, 04:09:03 AM»
zim and i are seeing WAY too many alts with an astrik or period after the listed name. it's a RULE, guys, we don't bite! ask us to remove your alts.

Offline Zim

«Reply #21: May 04, 2008, 04:11:08 AM»
Quote from: "Mauser"
zim and i are seeing WAY too many alts with an astrik or period after the listed name. it's a RULE, guys, we don't bite! ask us to remove your alts.

For those who are wondering why their alts are going missing off their lists, this is why.

When we see it, we will delete it.

PLEASE ask us to remove them instead of trying to get around that. We, as Mauser said, do not bite, and posting a thread in Q&A takes only a few seconds of your time. It saves a lot of confusion.

<: Thanks guys.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Mau

«Reply #22: May 04, 2008, 04:12:55 AM»
and if you're hesitant to post about it for whatever reason, PM us your removals. really, we just want to see this rule enforced to prevent confusion and to keep everything tidy around here.

Offline Mau

«Reply #23: May 09, 2008, 05:22:54 AM»
due to the fact that i've had to delete over 25 alts from people's lists just this evening, i am moving this from a topic up to an announcement. :? as always, if any other member(s) of the moderation team feels this is improper, feel free to revoke the change.

Offline Kiwi

«Reply #24: May 11, 2008, 01:12:45 AM»
I agree!
FAQ