supersaver

Author Topic: Furcadia Display Names?  (Read 860 times)

Offline saibot

Furcadia Display Names?
«: May 28, 2015, 11:53:40 AM»
I hate how.. there isn't an option to have an alt name + a display name?
Like, you could have an alt named 'cool smiley face' for example. But your display name, the name everyone in game will see while roleplaying, is your characters name. Like John.
And if you wanted to whisper that person, you would whisper their alt name.

It would actually eliminate the alt problems. People would join furcadia and STAY.

How many good alts are lost right now never to be touched again? How many pre existing characters of ours or dream names can we never use because those alts will Never be sold or are stuck in a void because the person has been inactive for years.

It's very frustrating and I think having a whole username system on a roleplay game is really damaging. Who would honestly join and keep playing if their pre existing characters can't have a decent looking name and be taken seriously?

If not have this option for free, then why not sell display name slots so the creators can make a bit of money off of this dilemma they created? Hm.

I don't know, I'm just blabbing! I'm a little angry is all. It's just outright embarrassing that people have to use silly words to use as an alt because the name is literally. Gone forever, out of their grasp haha.

Offline turntechGodhead

Re: Furcadia Display Names?
«Reply #1: May 28, 2015, 12:20:04 PM»
I'm behind this 100% tbh.

Or at least get with the times and start purging unused alts with things on them. Purging names and sending digos/ports/etc to a "storage" wouldn't be that hard. C'mon, DEP.

The King | Shuu

Offline Zim

«Reply #2: May 28, 2015, 12:51:33 PM»

Or at least get with the times and start purging unused alts with things on them. Purging names and sending digos/ports/etc to a "storage" wouldn't be that hard. C'mon, DEP.

I really, REALLY doubt this is ever going to happen for two reasons:

1. Furc could get into legal trouble, considering they've used advertisement of "your character will never expire with x on it"
2. It would absolutely kill digo sales. If they can't stop stuff from expiring, there's less of a point to buying stuff to put on your character.

I could also imagine a ton of people quitting over it. But that's all speculation.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #3: May 28, 2015, 12:58:05 PM»
The reason we can't have that is because it was exploited to an obscene degree the last time the player base found a loophole.

Having unicode characters in a name was a great thing for people who wanted the real thing without having to resort to losing cash, but then someone had to ruin it for everyone and the ability was removed forever.

And honestly? Despite how DEP has been, this is one of the things they consistently will not budge on, and for that I'm thankful. I'd be fucking pissed if one of my alts was freed up, despite me investing a good amount of money on the name to keep it from expiring.

Yeah it sucks that you can't have your dream name, but it wouldn't be fair to the people who probably spent forever and a day earning it, to let it sit and rest because they decided enough was enough. Maybe it was their main? Maybe they have a huge history with it, and suddenly someone else is running around with it because DEP suddenly says "we hate money! these lifers are meaningless!" its just very ??????? over all.

Besides, there are other places you can roleplay without having the somehow still existing scrutiny of not having a good enough name.

Offline Cassiopeia

«Reply #4: May 28, 2015, 01:13:33 PM»
Well personally speaking as one of those who have at times, nigh on sold their soul to get the alt of their dreams, I would be well and truly ticked off if DEP did something like this.
Especially when you consider how much lifers cost.
They can't go taking $100's of dollars and just free up the name because someone hasn't played it for x amount of years.
I agree with Gaga on this, you don't always get the name you want, that is life, or rather Furc in this case.
Whisper In-game: Rep, Cassiopeia or Jubilee

If you are really desperate to get me, use the [FB] link and add me. Or Skype or icq.

Offline Guinevere

«Reply #5: May 28, 2015, 01:20:04 PM»
I'd be super pissed off if there was suddenly 5 Natasha's running around, or if my lifers started dissapearing off of my lesser used alts.
I know its frustrating being unable to make a good name now, but at the same time people give out good stuff on the Freebie boards, if you don't want to spend the money buying them.
I also agree with Zim that people'd leave Furc over something like this :/. It'd essentially make everything worthless.
Alts:

Offline turntechGodhead

«Reply #6: May 28, 2015, 01:35:03 PM»
True about the legal thing.
Regardless, I think they could "get away with it" if they did something like what a couple of sites/games do, where if you're inactive for x amount of years, your account (or alt and digos in this case) would remain intact, but the name will become available for people to "steal" for a price.
And considering how positively thirsty DEP is for money...

A little off topic in regards to OP, but-
In all honesty, with the way DEP is going, Furc won't be around for much longer anyway.
So I think that no matter what they do at this point, it won't mean a whole lot those x amount of years or so from now when they finally say, "Thanks for the KS money! You're welcome for nothing!" after sales become slower than they already are. Do people actually buy digos from the Digo Market anymore?
(I doubt they'd actually run off with the money, but it's what it feels like.)

Tbh, I'd be more prone to giving them money if they actually followed through with shit they said they would do years ago. As an artist myself, I know it doesn't take as long as it has to get a couple of avatars done, lmao.
(Not that I don't respect the artists who are working on it, I just know DEP has always been slow as all fuck.)

All I'm saying is I wouldn't put any of this past DEP.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:42:00 PM by turntechGodhead »

The King | Shuu

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #7: May 28, 2015, 01:53:11 PM»
They've gone on record several times that they wouldn't do this. It would bring about a huge negative backlash if they even considered it.

Like, if they do that, what happens when the person comes back and suddenly they don't have their name? What then? The negatives outweigh the positives, even if the game isn't as active as it used to be 5 years back.

Their practices aren't favorable, but they haven't decided to flip the bird to their users and do something that shitty. Other things they're currently doing, yeah not so great, but they haven't actually turned their backs on the player base that remains and continues to buy things from them.

Offline Asian

«Reply #8: May 28, 2015, 01:58:43 PM»
I would be really annoyed if this was a thing.. There would be lots of people using the same name and I'd get really confused :s

Offline Russo

«Reply #9: May 28, 2015, 02:37:41 PM»
I think the display names might be an interesting thing to consider.. but will it happen? Most likely not. It'd be very confusing as well. Furcadia has just been around too long to put in something like this.

But,
The reason we can't have that is because it was exploited to an obscene degree the last time the player base found a loophole.

Having unicode characters in a name was a great thing for people who wanted the real thing without having to resort to losing cash, but then someone had to ruin it for everyone and the ability was removed forever.
I'm curious as to what happened with unicode that made them remove it? I always wondered why I couldn't have a name like Renée for example.

Offline Imoku

«Reply #10: May 28, 2015, 02:53:58 PM»
This makes sense, I guess - I have a hellhound character named Damien, whom I LOVE - but because his alt name is 'Prince of the Damned', I think people take me less seriously as a serious rper. :/

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #11: May 28, 2015, 04:59:58 PM»
I'm curious as to what happened with unicode that made them remove it? I always wondered why I couldn't have a name like Renée for example.

I remember a few details of the situation, since I was jazzed af to have a presentable version of a name I'd wanted forever, and so did many friends of mine.

Part of it was someone, who as far as I remember is actually a member here, got really buttmad that people found this loophole with unicode names so the value of alt sales were dropping or something like that? So they tattled on people who had unicode names.

But the bigger issue was that some dumbasses were making fake DEP alts, and causing havoc that way.

So because of that the ability to make unicode names is gone forever :/

But in regards to having an accented name like Renée, I think it should be possible to give yourself an accent through the name change thing that lets you change the formatting of it in game? I might be wrong on that :/

Offline Cadaver

«Reply #12: May 28, 2015, 05:08:51 PM»
It's possible to add the accent to names through the name-changer, as it counts as the same letter. You could turn Jose into José, but the problem with accented names is that, at least in whisper windows, if you do an action, instead of "Jose does xyz" it'd be "José: José does xyz" - which isn't too bad of a thing, really, unless you get really picky with whisper RP.
Cadaver
Baal || Cancer || Cruel || Jeremy
Sean || Virus || Zane

Alts For Sale || FAZ Account || DeviantART || Weasyl

Offline saibot

«Reply #13: May 28, 2015, 07:45:48 PM»
I don't agree that alts should be purged, I'm simply saying a lot of them are unobtainable and it's very likely that person is never coming back. Of course, you could never know... but the odds are slim.

It's hella unfair to keep someone from having that character name just because ...you have it already. Not the alt, but a visible display name to use while roleplaying? While I understand the iffiness of having spent hundreds of dollars on and alt only to have other people running around with it... It's still your feelings vs. 100s of other people w that character name. You still have the luxury of owning that one Natasha alt, even then.

And the other Natashas would probably be happy with having the Natasha name rather than what they have now lol.

The alts already have a hard enough time selling because they're all different spellings and jumbled words.

And I had an idea that if you clicked to look at them, you would see their alt name anyway alongside their display name. You see John (cool smiley face). But will this ever happen? Nah.

It was just an idea for roleplaying! Only because having a word like 'Dramatic' as an alt name and roleplaying like 'Dramatic went to the store' is funny to read when trying to para roleplay seriously. Of course, I've been on furcadia for quite some time and eventually you just.. go numb to it and don't even read the names after awhile, which is just me.

But Yeah just an idea. Furcadia might very well not be around for much longer but idk. How long has everyone been waiting for the 24bit update honestly. But continue to come out with digos that were never ever in demand. Like what's up with that lemur av omfg.
I still gotta give them credit that theyre reprogramming a game with code from like the 90s. But.. when you make games you have to HAVE TO take into consideration what everyone wants and not just what one person on the team wants? That's how games fail. I think the only reason people stay on furc is because of the dreams, digos, community, and ports LOL

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #14: May 28, 2015, 08:58:28 PM»
I've been hearing about the 24 bit update for almost 10 years now and nothing's been done aside from one map getting a facelift and two additional maps were added in (Old Towne and the Wylde), so I have doubts that despite all the money they've gotten from us, that actual progress is being made outside of new digo designs.

I get where you're coming from OP. Having a display name that doesn't equate to your actual alt name, kind of how Second Life gives you an option for a display name and you can hide your log-in.

Its a nice idea but who knows if it could be implemented with the kind of game Furcadia is. This sort of thing isn't just limited to Furc, other RP ventures kind of have a similar issue, but the stigma of name superiority doesn't seem to be such a big deal elsewhere.

If anything, seeing as the game is really just slowly crawling away to be put to rest, it couldn't hurt to look at other alternatives to RP with people one on one or even with groups.

Or hell, you could try and get creative with formatting and just choose a different font display. Which is what some friends of mine have done when alternates get too ridiculous ahaha.

Online Walter

«Reply #15: May 28, 2015, 09:14:28 PM»
this would kill alt sales indefinitely and this idea is moot. nobody would ever invest money into characters again. not to mention all of the confusion.

i think other chatrooms could easily accommodate this, but with the way furcadia establishes their character there is literally no point for DEP to add this seeing as this could significantly hurt the digo market.

also, for alts i've paid $300.00+ for, I would throw a chair if i saw 9 copies of that character around. it makes all the money i've spent totally worthless

also the legal thing is worth noting. not to mention impersonation of a DEP staff member or beekin is made extremely easy through this method.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:20:07 PM by spoderman »

Offline Russo

«Reply #16: May 28, 2015, 10:48:53 PM»

I remember a few details of the situation, since I was jazzed af to have a presentable version of a name I'd wanted forever, and so did many friends of mine.

Part of it was someone, who as far as I remember is actually a member here, got really buttmad that people found this loophole with unicode names so the value of alt sales were dropping or something like that? So they tattled on people who had unicode names.

But the bigger issue was that some dumbasses were making fake DEP alts, and causing havoc that way.

So because of that the ability to make unicode names is gone forever :/

But in regards to having an accented name like Renée, I think it should be possible to give yourself an accent through the name change thing that lets you change the formatting of it in game? I might be wrong on that :/

Ah! That's terrible. But now I know though, so thanks.

I meant I couldn't make a name like Renée with the accent because I assume the accented e is considered unicode, I think? And because the game reads the accented e as a regular e, Renée is the same as Renee. If that makes any sense. Though maybe that has nothing to do with the unicode issue? I don't know.

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #17: May 28, 2015, 11:03:52 PM»
As Sean pointed out, its possible for someone who has the alt Renee to present it as Renée with the name format changer since you're only changing an accented letter, that in itself has 0 to do with unicode.

Unicode alts were entirely different. The login name/ini for the alt would be something like D4536o.
So you would make a name in mind with the corresponding unicode numbers, then edit them a bit with the name format thing like so:
Code: [Select]
DᆸoAnd then the name would simply appear as Dio in-game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:08:14 PM by GAGA »

Offline Lovecraft

«Reply #18: May 29, 2015, 12:57:22 AM»
It's possible to add the accent to names through the name-changer, as it counts as the same letter. You could turn Jose into José, but the problem with accented names is that, at least in whisper windows, if you do an action, instead of "Jose does xyz" it'd be "José: José does xyz" - which isn't too bad of a thing, really, unless you get really picky with whisper RP.

i have tried like TEN TIMES to get this to work and i have had absolutely no luck. i had to let an alt i bought expire and then pounce back on it to make it with the cedille character. has anyone had any success doing this, personally? (if this is a derail i apologize and will more than happily make a new thread re: this specific issue)

edit for clarity:
i can use the website's name change portion just fine, but no matter what i do it won't show up differently in-game. it always shows up as the original spelling sans accent mark (i can capitalize or use lower case no problem)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:59:36 AM by Lovecraft »
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.

Offline Sylvirr

«Reply #19: May 29, 2015, 02:40:38 AM»

i have tried like TEN TIMES to get this to work and i have had absolutely no luck. i had to let an alt i bought expire and then pounce back on it to make it with the cedille character. has anyone had any success doing this, personally? (if this is a derail i apologize and will more than happily make a new thread re: this specific issue)

edit for clarity:
i can use the website's name change portion just fine, but no matter what i do it won't show up differently in-game. it always shows up as the original spelling sans accent mark (i can capitalize or use lower case no problem)

Did you remember to actually change that letter in the INI file, too? Because thats what happened to me when I had an accented character.
May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door....

Offline Lovecraft

«Reply #20: May 29, 2015, 07:50:21 PM»

edit for clarity:

Did you remember to actually change that letter in the INI file, too? Because thats what happened to me when I had an accented character.

no way lmao i'm gonna laugh when i get home and that was my problem this whole time! thanks for the help!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.

Offline Zim

«Reply #21: May 29, 2015, 09:38:20 PM»
While the help is nice, since this is in-depth talk, we need to ask you to remain on-topic please!

I'm only mean out of necessity.

supersaver