supersaver

Author Topic: PayPal Rant.  (Read 667 times)

Offline Guinevere

PayPal Rant.
«: January 09, 2015, 12:32:46 AM»
I'm so infuriated right now with all this bullshit with PayPal fees, and this new EU tax.
On top of the above, paypal now has a boarder fee; when you apply all that to the fact that I have to change it from USD to GBP after the transaction, with their absured - you guessed it - fee, I'm left with pennies.

I haggled from $50 to $35 on an alt.
Because it wasn't gifted, it went from being 35 bux to 32 bux.
After making this GBP I'm left with £19.48.

I know its against PayPals TOS to gift etc etc but, fees like this make me question why we even USE PayPal -.- I mean, I understand they need to make money but a boarder fee on top of the conversion rates and everything else? Feels a bit crappy to me, and nine times out of ten makes me want to keep the alts/digos or whatever because by the end of it, its not worth selling.

Anyone else have this problem? :c
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:35:16 AM by Natasha »
Alts:

Offline Gwynevere

Re: PayPal Rant.
«Reply #1: January 09, 2015, 07:55:50 AM»
As much as the conversion rate is annoying, I don't argue or quibble over it taking the fee out. It takes a fee regardless of whether or not I use gifting or goods & services. I've grown used to it after using Paypal for so long, to be honest.

Someone on FAZ wrote a good thread about it --
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?topic=17392.0

Offline Zim

«Reply #2: January 09, 2015, 01:29:38 PM»
We use Paypal because it's the big boy that everyone has, because it's been around pretty much the longest. It has a huge corner of the online money transfer market, so it's difficult to move away from it when EVERYONE is using it... sort of like Facebook.

There are, fortunately, alternatives cropping up that seem to be less of a headache than using Paypal. I've seen some people using Google Wallet for Furc-related transactions. My husband and his friends use Venmo to transfer around funds when we go out, and you can use it to request payment from somebody.

There's also ProPay (which advertises itself as being very similar to Paypal, and can even be used on eBay), but my knowledge of them is limited since I've never used it.

Really, the best we can do is start making a push to the less obnoxious services, but it would take a lot of people migrating at once to even make other people consider, and that could take a while. The conversion fee is a huge bummer in itself, and the only other option besides using a different money transfer option would be to stop taking real money altogether, and take things like GDs/gift cards/etc., since there's really no good option around it using Paypal.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Cougar

«Reply #3: January 10, 2015, 11:16:59 PM»
Can we all come together and decide on a new service to try out here and now? If there's a good solution proposed and several people are down, I'd be more than willing to start using it for buying and selling alts and digos!

I'd talked about switching to Bitcoin in another thread a while back, but it wasn't well-received. Has Bitcoin matured as a currency since then? I don't really care what particular service we adopt, I just want something different. It'll be slow going at first, but what do we have to lose?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:22:03 PM by Cougar »
An Astonishing Armada of Awesome Alts, All Available for ASAP Acquisition!
No price listed in the main post? Hit me up with $5 and we've got a DEAL!

Offline Guinevere

«Reply #4: January 11, 2015, 01:49:36 AM»
Can we all come together and decide on a new service to try out here and now? If there's a good solution proposed and several people are down, I'd be more than willing to start using it for buying and selling alts and digos!

I'd talked about switching to Bitcoin in another thread a while back, but it wasn't well-received. Has Bitcoin matured as a currency since then? I don't really care what particular service we adopt, I just want something different. It'll be slow going at first, but what do we have to lose?

I agree with Cougar.
I can't AFFORD to keep using PayPal, being an European.
I sold a portspace and after boarder fees got $4.30. I don't even need to say that that was PENNIES in GBP.
Either that or we try and encourage americans to pay the gifting fee for those in other countries? At least that way we get the full amount. They pay 5 cents extra, or I loose 70c. It seems in poor taste.
But I'd deffinatly be open for trying another method.
Does anyone know the rates for Google Wallet or something?
Alts:

Offline Mayim

«Reply #5: January 11, 2015, 12:22:27 PM»
I can tell you now if a seller only took bitcoin I'd take my business elsewhere-- and no, we cannot ask anyone to cover fees period as that is not our rule, it is PAYPALS. If you do not like their service don't use it, but don't go fighting their terms of use risking getting not only your account frozen but the accounts of anyone who does business with you.

Offline Guinevere

«Reply #6: January 11, 2015, 01:10:24 PM»
I can tell you now if a seller only took bitcoin I'd take my business elsewhere-- and no, we cannot ask anyone to cover fees period as that is not our rule, it is PAYPALS. If you do not like their service don't use it, but don't go fighting their terms of use risking getting not only your account frozen but the accounts of anyone who does business with you.

I have no idea what BitCoin is.
As for the PayPal, I know its THEIR rule, but wheres the harm in wishful thinking? I'm with Cougar on leaning towards a new site to take and transfer money, even if it will take a while for it to become the 'main' method of payment. I simply CAN'T afford these fees, with the conversion rates PayPal has.
Its genuinely not becoming worth it to sell.
If it were the other way around, and it was americans loosing rediculous cuts of their goods due to a new tax, it'd be a MUCH busier thread.
I was simply ranting about the new EU tax and the addition to the boarder fee in relation to it.
Alts:

Offline Fae

«Reply #7: January 11, 2015, 01:54:18 PM»
Well, there's nothing you can do about conversation rates. That's all economy. No matter which method of payment you use the conversation rates are going to be the exact -same-.

The dollar is worth less than the pound. If you sell something for 5 USD, expect it to be less in GBP. Unfortunately, you're working in a market that is PREDOMINANTLY American, so you're already cutting yourself short by working in our currency. Well, I shouldn't say short. But the currencies are not -equal-. For you, less is more. You can get away with paying less for something that is more expensive for us Americans because the GBP is worth more than the USD.

For example, if you sold a portspace for 5 USD, that equals 3.29 GBP. That's the truth no matter which way you try to go around it. If you decide, "Well I will just work in GBP then!" and decide to ask for 5 GBP, you're actually asking Americans to pay 7.58. And I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to pay 7.58 for a portspace when there's usually an American seller listing theirs for 5, or even 4 dollars.

An alt listed for 30 USD is equal to 19.76 GBP. So, like I said, you guys on the other side of the ocean have the advantage of paying 'less' for an alt that an American might think twice about.

Anyways, I don't plan on paying -extra- of my hard earned money to give someone who works in GBP an 'equal amount'. 5 USD does NOT equal 5 GBP. 30 USD does NOT equal 30 GBP.

If you want to avoid feeling discouraged, I suggest you start working strictly in GBP, but be prepared to possibly adjust your prices in a largely American market.

Me, personally, I'm not going to be switching from Paypal anytime soon. I use it for just about everything, and I've never once had an issue with it. I'm fine with fees. There's fees and taxes in just about everything you do. It's a fact of life.

Offline Guinevere

«Reply #8: January 11, 2015, 03:06:26 PM»
For example, if you sold a portspace for 5 USD, that equals 3.29 GBP. That's the truth no matter which way you try to go around it. If you decide, "Well I will just work in GBP then!" and decide to ask for 5 GBP, you're actually asking Americans to pay 7.58. And I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to pay 7.58 for a portspace when there's usually an American seller listing theirs for 5, or even 4 dollars.

An alt listed for 30 USD is equal to 19.76 GBP. So, like I said, you guys on the other side of the ocean have the advantage of paying 'less' for an alt that an American might think twice about.

I've never once suggested £5 for a $5 item.
If PayPal allowed me £20 for every $30 transaction, there'd be no issue; but they take so much as a fee, I get £17ish for every $30. It may not seem like a lot, but if you imagine every £3 is about $5 (by xe.com) then I'm missing out on $5 a time. To me, that £3 makes a big difference.
I was complaining about their FEES, as well as the fact that they take a chunk for converting currency.
I just feel like theres a fee for just about everything being done when using paypal as of late; even gifting costs money now, and honestly it gives me a headache when I add up on how much I've lost out on lately x.x;
As for buying stuff, that'd be a great plan if - you guessed it - they didn't now add a charge to send money straight from my bank to someones account in the USA. I get a £1+ ish charge depending on how much I'm sending; or I can wait 7 days for the money to go from bank to PayPal. Which I rarley do, because I'm a big impulse buyer xD
I tried working in GBP before, but people were reluctant to pay the inflated conversion fee PayPal has, and I can't say I blame them.
I just wish they'd calm down on the amount of the taxes and fees, really. But like I said, its more just wishful thinking and ranting, than expecting anything to be done.
Alts:

Offline Zim

«Reply #9: January 11, 2015, 06:00:59 PM»
Just as a general overall reminder for everyone, we do not allow sellers to ask buyers to cover fees to get around this, as it can (and will if you are caught) get your account shut down by Paypal. Using the gift option can also get your account shut down, as too many gifts looks suspicious, and there is no protection for the buyer if a scam happens.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Vera!

«Reply #10: January 27, 2015, 10:59:04 AM»

I personally wouldn't touch bitcoin at this point; it's completely unstable as a currency. Last year at about this time it one bitcoin was worth around $1,100, and now it's deflated so violently one is only worth around $262, after consistently deflating for an entire year. I'm not really willing to work in a currency that's so volatile, and I'd hazard a guess that most people on here would say the same. Money's no good if it's unreliable.

Offline Guinevere

«Reply #11: January 27, 2015, 11:50:56 AM»

I personally wouldn't touch bitcoin at this point; it's completely unstable as a currency. Last year at about this time it one bitcoin was worth around $1,100, and now it's deflated so violently one is only worth around $262, after consistently deflating for an entire year. I'm not really willing to work in a currency that's so volatile, and I'd hazard a guess that most people on here would say the same. Money's no good if it's unreliable.

Yeah, after reseatching into Bitcoin I was like ehh...
Whats peoples thoughts on things like Google/Amazon wallet? I know some sites that have started taking these.
Alts:

supersaver