supersaver

Author Topic: Furcadia's Economy Vs. The Rise and Fall of Players.  (Read 1299 times)

Canicide

• Topic Author
So as a lot of you may know, and I've seen this argument come up lots of times when speaking with friends, or it was brought up with ex-friends.. that Furcadia's economy seems to be crashing a bit.

According to people since the Digomarket keeps releasing digo's the economy for re-sell value is going down. What I don't understand is.. why by re-sell value anyways? At least Digomarket has coverage if something happens to your item because it's on record. When you buy from another player you lose that coverage so if a digo is stolen it's harder to recover since there's no proof of you ever buying it unless you've used the secure trade commands. So I don't see how Digomarket is crashing the economy. People will continue to buy from Digomarket even if the re-sell value drops dangerously low. Though I realise this is argumentative, I find paying a little extra for assurance that my items are logged a little more comforting.

Second.. there's been an aughful lot of "quitters" lately who say that they're leaving and not coming back. I have noticed a decrease in Furcadia's numbers since I started playing 7 years ago, however this only seems to effect the roleplay community and not it's chat-based feature. To me it's just like a switching of time. The roleplays and dreams oriented around roleplay are growing far smaller and it's becoming increasingly hard to open a new roleplay oriented dream against all the chat-based and hang-out dreams. Only the ancient dreams seem to stick around and once those go.. what will we be left with. Instead of roleplay I find Furcadia turning into more of a world-wide MSN so to speak except with pixelated characters as avatars instead of a little window and a picture at the side. Furcadia's more on the creative side.

So my question to you guys is, what's your opinion on this. Do you agree or disagree with me and why. Don't just shoot me down for the sake of posting something. I want REASONS to justify your post. After all, that's what a discussion is right? You can't just jump in and go "nope you're wrong" and then not give any reasons why. Also if you agree with me, please back that up too. Make sure to point out the main reasons why, and add anything you feel needs to be added. I'm curious to see where this takes us.

Rules of the Board
I know, I know.. scary, horrible, bad rules. But if I don't put these here I'm gonna see far more people getting into trouble with the moderators then I'd like.

1. Please, please, PLEASE, keep everything PG. I don't want to see swearing or profanity. I see no harm in asking that things be kept clean.

2. If you're going to argue, do it PROFESSIONALLY. Don't attack someone purely because you don't like them. If you disagree with their post, then rebuttle against it with REASON. If I catch anyone, bullying someone else on MY BOARD I will ask for it to be locked permanently. Don't wreck a good thing guys.

3. Lastly, if this board ends up 120+ days old, let it die. Check the last post that was made before you post on it. Moderators don't like when old boards are resurrected.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:19:16 PM by Shimmer »

Offline Zuko

Re: Furcadia's Economy Vs. The Rise and Fall of Players.
«Reply #1: May 22, 2012, 09:14:13 AM»
I agree with you, I have definitely seen a decrease in the player base over the years, and as a result of that a handful (for arguments sake) of dreams that were great be wiped from the game. I feel that the alt market/art zone markets were a lot stronger years before now, more people, more interest in roleplaying leading to a bigger desire for alts/designs/artists. Now since there aren't as many people around, the economies are kind of... what's the word... going nowhere?.

Zuko           Spider-man          Legend

(10:19:03) Aang: I woke up like three hours ago and then I sat in bed reading a book about unicorns and then I cried because the unicorns were SO AWESOME

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #2: May 22, 2012, 11:47:23 AM»
1. Please, please, PLEASE, keep everything PG. I don't want to see swearing, profanity and any other things that don't belong on FAM.
You're assuming too much of the site.

See here

Canicide

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: May 23, 2012, 03:33:41 PM»
1. Please, please, PLEASE, keep everything PG. I don't want to see swearing, profanity and any other things that don't belong on FAM.
You're assuming too much of the site.

See here

Whoops.. sorry about that. I completely forgot about that rule. I just figured I'd include it anyways because there are children who use the forums as well as adults. I should probably edit that to take out the last part, but I don't really see a problem with asking that there be no swearing.

Offline Erotikitty

«Reply #4: May 23, 2012, 06:04:06 PM»
I completely agree! Like you, I too have been playing furcadia for 7 years and I've noticed a HUGE drop in players. But not just that, it seems too that the quality RPers are the ones disappearing. At least it seems that way to me. It's been incredibly difficult for me to find good people to rp with, especially since they all just sit around and just don't rp at all.

As far as the digomarket crashing re-sell value is concerned, I think that's kinda rediculous. People are going to buy what they want, period. But then, maybe it does, because they're spending the money on the new ones instead of something they've been looking at for years?
If anything, it's the economy OVERALL thats driving the prices down. People don't have as much money to spend on games and the ones that did are more despirate to sell it to pay the bills, even if they have to take a lose. I think introducing new digos is their way of trying to get people to start spending money again.

erde

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: May 27, 2012, 12:41:16 PM»
All I know is: All the people I used to know in 2004-2005 when I started "playing" don't anymore, except for a few exceptions, and most of them aren't really in the game.. Just idling.

I've made several attempts to try and bring interest into Furc via friends who used to play, new friends through FA, RPers, etc. I made a really, really nice dream.. almost a haven away from the drama that circulates in the game, but the dream is barren 90% of the time, and people who have stopped in still wind up in dreams like The Herm Haven, Yiffy High School, or even TGT (A lot of people, but I only ever see a lot of showing off or SRS BSNS/drama llamas).

And don't get me started on the quality of RP from then to now.

Long story short on RP: People either don't care enough or care WAY too much...

Much like what's been said, it's painfully obvious Furcadia is struggling to make ends meet unlike the past because they're releasing digos almost every WEEK now, as opposed to when it took them over a year.. It made them seem a lot more special back then, now anyone can have a FERIAN because they're cheap.

It's also obvious because they started with pretty standard digos: wings, mythical beasts, sponsorships and portrait spaces. The only additional digos I've liked the concept of more than anything are the desctags. Cheap, affordable, and fun for a social game, which this is and has become. The kitterwings look terrible, the purrwings are a really stupid idea if you ask me, and their inability to add scalies or free simple avians is limiting players. (It shouldn't, but it does. I don't like getting called a "canine" on my iguana character, and I reiterate about quality of RP)! Also, since when are bugges in higher demand that reptiles? Especially ones without wings.. Now you just have an ant.

I don't care about the 32-bit update as much as I did when I first heard about it, or even the FurN update (which it DESPERATELY needs) mostly because I know it probably won't happen while I'm playing. However, if they just took the time at the end of every month, set aside.. maybe a week's worth of time to try and work out whatever bugs exist at the moment, that would make me happy. There's no point in piling up a bunch of new GARBAGE and just leaving glitches and errors unchanged.

I watch Emerald Flame talk to people once in a while, and she says things like "See, you shouldn't want to me changes! You should want to help with what ideas are already in place!" Too bad none of us know what they are, other than Silver Sponsors, because you keep it a secret until it's too late...

The other part of it, though, is the fact a lot of "new" players seem like ass-kissers and mongers of popularity (for whatever reason). It's not about RP or meeting new friends, it's about being flashy and showing off your beautifully designed character and their amazing website in your clique.. But we're all "too busy" to RP, and if we aren't, it's ALL WE DO, and take it WAY too seriously.

I also notice a lot of unintentional bullying, because people are so used to being trolled/trolling others.. And a lot of people get rattled by conversations they aren't in favor for, or considering a normal, every-day chatting session "spam." (and I have seen ALL of these examples.. seriously people, it's a social game and we'll talk about whatever we feel like. y u so mad).

That's all I can come up with for the time being.

supersaver