supersaver

Author Topic: Down Payments on Goods and Refunds  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Zim

Down Payments on Goods and Refunds
«: February 05, 2012, 12:11:08 AM»
It's been pointed out to the staff that there are users who are saying that if a down payment is made on an alt and the buyer vanishes or backs out, the seller keeps the money.

This sort of behavior goes against our moral code of transactions, and could be considered scamming.

Let's face it; real life happens. You are losing nothing by returning the money or simply by putting the alt on hold.

If you have an issue with people backing out after making a payment, don't put alts on hold or take installments.

We will start suspending if we catch users doing this as it IS considered scamming, so be warned. The ONLY exception will be if the buyer vanishes for an extended period of time.

For more clarification, PM a staff member.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Gengar

Re: Down Payments on Goods and Refunds
«Reply #1: February 10, 2012, 02:16:49 PM»
-insert perfectly logical argument here that is ignored to make people's lives easier. yay for democracy! and because someone giving you their money with full knowledge of the consequences if they back out or vanish is stealing!-

If the seller somehow forewarns the person paying in installments or placing a hold via a partial payment, then I think its legit. The buyer needs to be made aware that if they do back out or vanish, they will not receive their money back. By placing that payment afterwards, they are agreeing to the seller's terms, and that isn't scamming.

Another possible method is to extract a 'fee' for the waste of time, such as a percentage of the payment to be refunded, instead of not refunding at all.

I do agree, however, that real life does happen. The buyer should attempt to ask and explain things to the seller if something comes up. Hopefully they will understand and be reasonable, but its not scamming if its done this way.. not in my opinion, at least. It should be noted, though, that the seller should -NOT- spend any of the payments they get until its the full amount, and their side of the deal is given as well.

Also, in some cases, the seller CAN lose out if the money is refunded, particularly by Paypal. I've had to refund before, and I got -charged- money from MY account to refund the person. I'm not going to pay to return money that is legitimately mine, given of course the standards were followed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:48:53 PM by Meli »
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

Gengar

Offline Zim

«Reply #2: February 10, 2012, 02:21:51 PM»
Meli, this is not up for debate. The staff (Narnia included) has already decided on this.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #3: February 10, 2012, 02:25:14 PM»
No means no. It makes life easier for me and it makes life easier for Cironir/DEP.

If you want to steal people's money you can do so somewhere else.

End of story.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

vexstacy

«Reply #4: February 10, 2012, 02:33:57 PM»
-agrees with above-

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #5: February 10, 2012, 08:22:57 PM»
lol.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #6: February 10, 2012, 10:29:32 PM»
In response to your edit, this website isn't a democracy. It's an autocracy.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Zim

«Reply #7: February 11, 2012, 05:27:24 PM»
For reference, there is a statute of limitations of sorts on this particular rule. We understand that if the buyer vanishes for an extended period of time, the money may not be in your possession anymore.

This is mostly for short term stuff. For long term like that, there isn't much we can do, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're afraid that you'll have to pay someone back after something like 6+ months. (High number, but you get the picture)

supersaver