supersaver

Author Topic: Dropping prices of lifers....?  (Read 957 times)

Offline Ongaku69

Dropping prices of lifers....?
«: July 09, 2011, 01:39:20 PM»
Anyone see this as a concern? They keep releasing, rereleasing, etc their digos, which ultimately lowers the value on the item since its digital and tradable...

Senny

Re: Dropping prices of lifers....?
«Reply #1: July 09, 2011, 04:15:18 PM»
They can sell the digos for what they like, and release them when they like. I don't see it as a concern simply because I won't get as much bang for my buck back when I go to resell it. I do not make a living off selling lifers, and hope to goodness that I never do.

Offline Ongaku69

«Reply #2: July 09, 2011, 09:43:47 PM»
They can sell the digos for what they like, and release them when they like. I don't see it as a concern simply because I won't get as much bang for my buck back when I go to resell it. I do not make a living off selling lifers, and hope to goodness that I never do.
I dont either, but releasing a lot of your product is never good for the over all value. even speaking just for dragoneye, re-releasing too much can hurt them because the market will be overly saturated with used items for low prices and people will stop buying so much new, where as if you have limited, or rare releases, then people will hang on to their item, item value will go up, and will have better sales per release. its kind of like collectors editions of video games now a days. they arent worth anything because so many get released.

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #3: July 09, 2011, 10:37:13 PM»
Late to the party much?

So what if they keep re-releasing the 'special' digos? It doesn't hurt them, if they're making specials and certain ones more available it is certainly not hurting their wallets. It can be good and bad, good for them, they get revenue, bad for us because we can't sell shit for as much as we want.

It's been happening for quite some time.

And your comparison of digos to limited edition collector's bundles is rather, well... weak.
Those are real life items that you can actually do something with. I've hardly seen anything with a package deal IRL go down in value once it's no longer available.

If I remember correctly, a particular model of Xbox that I've been coveting retailed at $400. This bundle included the system, the hard drive at 120 GB I believe, two controllers and a video game.

That's a hell of a deal for something that has limited release.
Fast forward a year, people are selling the console ALONE for 300.

Unless you go back in time 10 years, you'd never be able to make that kind of profit off of furcadia in one go these days. And I speak of Digo Re-Sales alone, alts are a completely different commodity.

You're better off getting tangible items to make a profit from rather than digital ones. And hell, if you really want to make bank off of digital items, move off of furcadia and go to a real MMO.

Offline Ongaku69

«Reply #4: July 10, 2011, 11:02:14 AM»
apparently people dont read much since no where have i said i wanted to make money off a digo...

Offline Ongaku69

«Reply #5: July 10, 2011, 11:31:12 AM»
Party1:
from a business standpoint to they hurt themselves by re releasing so often?

Party2:
Not likely.
It's an electronic product whose value is going to degrade as the larger scope it's based on looses popularity.
It costs them nothing to make the product, or near enough to.

Party1:
would it not make them more if they released a limited release and then made new avatars, thus retiring the old ones

Party2:
So the primary concern they have isn't so much how much they can make off an individual sale, but trying to get as many sales as possible at a maintainable price.

Party1:
and occasionally rerelease the super old ones when the value is insanely inflated

Party2:
That would be one method, but to make more money off that they would either have to sell more, thus making things even less exclusive, or sell at a higher price, and the product simply wouldn't have the added value to be able to sustain the added price.

Party1:
so basically selling anything digitally has a built in price degradation? and theres not a whole lot to do about it?

Party2:
No. Just anything that isn't world of warcraft.
This was what I was looking for, thank you kind soul who replied to me.

supersaver