supersaver

Author Topic: Alt Concern  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Kayla!

Alt Concern
«: January 19, 2011, 11:45:09 PM»
Soo... Me and my friend, Bipolar were just discussing DNB alts.. oO

We were both talking about alts we want that are not just DNB, but it's alts that have had absolutely no activity for the longest time.. Basically alts that are rotting with there owner.

There isn't a rule or anything against it, but we figured we'd bring up the topic! Because we think there should be more behind it.

Alts like that just rot, when they have the opportunity to have an owner that will use it properly.
Bipolar braught up how owners could remove designs from the alts and just sell the alt names. It wouldn't matter really would it? If you want the character, keep the design and still name the character what the alts name was. If you don't use the alt(If it's rotting) there's no point in keeping the actual alt anyways if someone else would use it.

Alot of alts have been rotting for like ever.. The ones that are ported and there owners quit. There should still be some kind of time limit on it, so that the alt becomes open for creation after so long of inactivity. Despite being ported. oO Because if not then there's a crap load of alts out there that are just rotting when tons of people would love to own them.

We understand it is rather a "choice" whether the owner wants the alt to rot or not, but it's pretty messed up in our opinion. And we know plenty of people who agree. I absolutely adore my alt Veterinary. I never want to sell her, but if I quit.. I wouldn't just let the alt rot. I'd sell it. If I really wanted the character, i'd keep the design and just sell or give away the name. oO It's messed up. It's even worse when people still play Furcadia, and have a crap load of alts, and half of them never see the light of day. Such as the alt im wanting that is DNB.. The owner plays, but never ever logs onto the alt im wanting that they own.

It's just a big issue amongst alot of people who want alts that are doing nothing but rotting. Especially the ported ones whose owners quit, those alts can't expire. They'll just sit there forever.

Were not trying to bring up some big dramatic fight/ordeal.. Were just trying to make our point known, incase some kind of action can be taken. All in all, this is just our opinion. If you disagree, we understand. As said, were not looking to cause some big dramatic war here. Just hopeing something might be able to be done, is all.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!

Gemo.

Re: Alt Concern
«Reply #1: January 19, 2011, 11:56:39 PM»
Agree'd amen. If you have other opinions please share them with us, we want to see your point of view too!

Hadrosaur

«Reply #2: January 20, 2011, 02:35:16 AM»
Although I very rarely talk in this board, because I'm not particularly in-depth with anything I say, I will post on this with my 2 cents.

I'm really half and half with this kind of thing. Yes, I find it disheartening that people let their alts gather dust once they have long since left Furcadia, but they still paid money for that alt (or at least the items on them) and I wouldn't be very impressed if I found out down the line that DEP decided to remove said items and expired the name.

If removed items were sent back to the owner (I'm assuming this would be similar to the digo share-y thingy suggested for the accounts update) then I wouldn't see too much of a problem, bar that the owner may have lost a considerable amount of money given they bought the alt from another trader among sentimentalities, but at the current moment in time, it's highly unlikely.

Not only that but DEP have said ported/digoed alts will never expire and they would cause a huge outrage if they turned around and changed that...law, for lack of a better word. I would see that as being very bad for any kind of business since people would think along the lines of "Oh, even if I do spend hundreds of <currency> on digos, I'll lose my alt if I have to leave temporarily or I decide to quit".

/end 2 cent ramble that probably makes no sense

Gemo.

«Reply #3: January 20, 2011, 02:54:49 AM»
Although I very rarely talk in this board, because I'm not particularly in-depth with anything I say, I will post on this with my 2 cents.

I'm really half and half with this kind of thing. Yes, I find it disheartening that people let their alts gather dust once they have long since left Furcadia, but they still paid money for that alt (or at least the items on them) and I wouldn't be very impressed if I found out down the line that DEP decided to remove said items and expired the name.

If removed items were sent back to the owner (I'm assuming this would be similar to the digo share-y thingy suggested for the accounts update) then I wouldn't see too much of a problem, bar that the owner may have lost a considerable amount of money given they bought the alt from another trader among sentimentalities, but at the current moment in time, it's highly unlikely.

Not only that but DEP have said ported/digoed alts will never expire and they would cause a huge outrage if they turned around and changed that...law, for lack of a better word. I would see that as being very bad for any kind of business since people would think along the lines of "Oh, even if I do spend hundreds of <currency> on digos, I'll lose my alt if I have to leave temporarily or I decide to quit".

/end 2 cent ramble that probably makes no sense

Yes but then on the other hand if people removed ports and digos and sold the name naked. Then other people could use it and it would not be rotting, I understand that people spend a good amount on there alts or have an attachment to the design, why not just remove it and sell it when you decide to quit? makes sense to me.

Hadrosaur

«Reply #4: January 20, 2011, 03:06:56 AM»
Yes but then on the other hand if people removed ports and digos and sold the name naked. Then other people could use it and it would not be rotting, I understand that people spend a good amount on there alts or have an attachment to the design, why not just remove it and sell it when you decide to quit? makes sense to me.

It makes sense to me too but some people just don't want to sell their alts. Sometimes people buy the name, just for the name. Others buy the name because it goes with their design, while still more buy or make designs to fit the name. That sentence probably describes the same thing so bear with me, one cuppa is not enough to fully stimulate my brain xD

Gemo.

«Reply #5: January 20, 2011, 03:39:29 AM»

It makes sense to me too but some people just don't want to sell their alts. Sometimes people buy the name, just for the name. Others buy the name because it goes with their design, while still more buy or make designs to fit the name. That sentence probably describes the same thing so bear with me, one cuppa is not enough to fully stimulate my brain xD

True, I understand some people want the design but at least if someone didn't want to get rid of the design they could still sell the alt naked and someone would want it and use it. I'm sure.

Offline Kayla!

«Reply #6: January 20, 2011, 02:59:46 PM»

Yay I get to jump in for a minute! No but anyways.. Yea I do undertand fully with the whole not allowing alts to expire when they have something on it. It helps both the players and the furcadia people. xP I like the whole concept of alts not expiring, but it also has the big negative point of... Well the alt rotting if the owner were to vanish. So it's just something that would probubly need alot more indepth thought if anything were to change. So it wasn't so much of me saying.. Making ported/digoed alts eventually expire, as it as me just saying it's kinda crappy to have an alt rot away for ever.

Yea I agree the owers have every right to do whatever they want with the alt, even if that's letting it rot. XP They baught it, ect ect. I know. Just kinda something that gets to everyone when the alt is rotting away and not being used.

Cup Ramen

«Reply #7: January 20, 2011, 05:21:51 PM»
If people want to let their alts rot, then that's fine. Many alts become a part of that person's online identity... even if they quit, most people don't want that identity taken from them. That's why Flapper is going to rot. Sorry, that's just the way I think of it. I didn't use her for long, but she is by far my favorite alt I have ever owned and I'm not willing to completely give her up.

Senny

«Reply #8: January 21, 2011, 02:00:01 AM»
If people want to let their alts rot, then that's fine. Many alts become a part of that person's online identity... even if they quit, most people don't want that identity taken from them. That's why Flapper is going to rot. Sorry, that's just the way I think of it. I didn't use her for long, but she is by far my favorite alt I have ever owned and I'm not willing to completely give her up.

This sums up my viewpoint pretty much. While I have no intention of quiting Furcadia for a long time (it feeds my creative writing addicition), there are alts that ever do have to go on hiatus for whatever reason, then they will be 'rotting' with me for however long it takes for me to return. Some, due to storylines. Or the impact of those storylines. It'd be weird to see someone else running around on Pulchra or Laermeluion, and to be honest, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling the name even without the design due to the memories attached to them.

Offline Eevee

«Reply #9: January 21, 2011, 02:54:29 AM»
Sometimes letting an alt rot has nothing to do with the DESIGN.

There are quite a few alts rotting right now out of respect for the owners because they passed away whether its friends or DEP making sure the alt doesn't expire.

Also, there are plenty of people who left Furcadia and came back years later to use the same names they kept. People do come back even after years of their alt rotting away not in use. I'd be pissed as hell if I quit for maybe 5 years leaving life digos and portrait spaces on my alts and came back to all of my alts being gone. Especially if I HAD to quit due to real life issues and not just out of choice/boredom.

DEP could get sued if life digos and port spaces were removed to expire rotting alts because they state that alts with these items will NOT expire at all.

Plus, obvious and always stated, its their alt, they can do what they want even if you disagree with what they do.

I'm locking this as this is yet another repeat thread and the above has been explained every time.