supersaver

Author Topic: How do you feel about online drama?  (Read 2352 times)

betrayedandvengeful

• Topic Author
How do you feel about online drama?
«: October 08, 2010, 08:21:38 AM»
I was thinking about it for awhile and decided to make this an in-deph conversation, How do you feel about those who cause drama for no real reason online? Like take encyclopediadramatica.co m for example? half of the things on there are lies and drama? I don't feel sites like this should be allowed? it causes drama not for just the people who are on internet but for those who take things online quite seriously. This also follows for those who cause drama here on furcadia? If it is bad enough would you feel you should have them banned?

I mean drama also consist of spammers and those who are just trying to look ''cool'' online. If you think about all this carefully, I don't think a community as a whole would want to deal with these kind of people, especially on furcadia. Players usually just don't want involved and sure there is the ignore button for a reason however, I am talking about the kind of drama that is just out of control take a certain old friend of mine ''darknesschaotix'' for example, if you google it nothing but drama becomes of it nearly all her art pages, DA,SA,and or her personal website have nasty out of control comments, at this point this would be considered ''harassment right?'' Sure on furcadia we have DEP to minimize this but, they can't control everything that goes on.

I mean if you came a crossed a user that is being harassed by all this drama online where would you step your foot down? would you help, let it go, do something about it to stop all the drama, or just let it go cause its the internet? Maybe I am thinking to much into it, but i'd like to get some other peoples point of views when it comes down to ''drama'' on furcadia, maybe other places online too?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:39:16 AM by Amy. »

Offline bing

Re: How do you feel about online drama?
«Reply #1: October 08, 2010, 09:00:30 AM»
Itd be nice if you split your post into paragraphs.

As much as I think people who cause drama on the internet are hilarious, its pretty much easy to 'get rid of them' by ignoring them. The only reason they're causing drama is because they want to see the reactions towards what they're doing. Though that's only on furcadia. Drama only spews from other websites because the victim is also contributing to it. They react to the, ill just call them trolls, trolls who post on their account. Then the trolls reply back and so on and so forth.

It'd be nigh impossible just to completely get rid of drama on the internet. Even if it happened, it'd be pretty damned boring.
Also, Encyclopedia Dramatica does have some truth in it, though in a slanderous way.
If i sound like a dumbass forgive me

Also forgot to mention, that this is the internet.
People can cause drama since they have an anonymity. I hardly doubt that some may do the same thing in real life.

anonymous

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: October 08, 2010, 09:30:14 AM»
It's easier to say things you wouldn't normally say when you're behind a screen here you're invincible to being punched for the things you say. Needless to say, drama begins because certain people allow it.

A lot of people like to start with me by saying my art sucks, but I simply say "yup," and move on. I'm not going to give them the time of day to try and bring me down about something that I know isn't true.

Since I started using marijuana I've had a lot of people fall out of friendships with me because of it, and other people wondering why I'd want to get into something like that. I pretty much just give them my reasons, and say if they don't like me because of it that's their decision. I may lose friends from it, but I make others. Ironically the only drama I'm susceptible to is offline, because in my opinion it's real.

It aggravates me that a lot of people give others the time of day to get to them. I see journal posts like, "if you don't like my art don't watch me!!1" or "people are so mean!!" Why would you bother letting someone who basically doesn't exist give you such a hard time? As far as I'm concerned, if they don't have a name or a face, they're just another bot. Too many people become sensitive to the internet because they're far too concerned about getting well-known by people they don't know (aka internet famous).

Just take everything you see/read on the internet with a shot of penicillin. For all intensive purposes, everyone is a troll and you don't need to be susceptible to their bullshit cries for attention. Most of them make a post to get a reaction, and if they don't get one, chances are you might actually meet someone behind the trolling.

Offline Exmortis

«Reply #3: October 08, 2010, 02:08:35 PM»
I agree with a lot that Erde said.

Offline drama is stupid and online drama is even stupider. But people are going to make fun of others and pick at others no matter if you are online or off. It is all still the same. People are more likely to leave you alone if you do things like Erde said. Don't give a damn.

It's the people who write on their DA and on here or anywhere else with the " WHY IS EVERYONE SO MEAN TO ME? Oh god someone pity me RIGHT now." That usually get it the worst. Which those people ARE annoying. :/

I also think encyclopedia dramatica is kind of true but over dramatic in a cruel way. I think it's pretty funny. I understand it can hurt peoples feelings but my god everyone seems so overly sensitive these days. " Oh DON'T say anything about drugs cause so and so doesn't like to hear it." or " Oh don't say something like that, so and so might get offended." Who cares!? Why should myself and others who were having a good conversation because someone can not look at their screen for a few moments?

It's the damn internet. None of these people are ever going to see you. Grow a pair and stop whining like two year olds cause some big ol meanie on the other side of the world called you a fag. omgbbqsrsly?

I just don't see why so many people get butthurt by people they never have to talk to or see again.

Offline #Se

«Reply #4: October 08, 2010, 02:46:00 PM»
Welcome in the real world, drama is everywhere.
If people start wars for stupid reasons, or curse some drama online.

Humans are humans, and I rather deal with human minds then total control.
Irl and in every other community.

And its not just furcadia, it's in every community.
If somebody doesnt stop harassing you, change username.

The best to avoid harassement online is "not to care" ...
Or just dont respond, if you dont respond it will get boring.

and last but not least ...

Don't feed the trolls ;)
Means - if you don't give them reasons to continue, it will end too.
Everybody grows up.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:49:06 PM by Miss Monster »

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: October 08, 2010, 05:52:04 PM»
I come online to get away from all the shit happening in my life. I honestly don't care what anyone else does online as long as I can still find ways to be entertained. People vent and treat the internet in a variety of ways, and it will always be that way. There's no "internet police" to tell anyone to grow up, so we all might as well just mellow out and ignore the trolls.

Offline ✨ waifu

«Reply #6: October 08, 2010, 05:53:42 PM»
People need to avoid drama on the internet, especially when it comes to fail trolls.
I really see no need to even start fighting over nothing as well. All in all, drama is found everywhere sadly and apparently cannot be avoided.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:21:54 AM by Stef »

Offline Cardali

«Reply #7: October 09, 2010, 05:00:54 PM»
It's easier to say things you wouldn't normally say when you're behind a screen here you're invincible to being punched for the things you say. Needless to say, drama begins because certain people allow it.

A lot of people like to start with me by saying my art sucks, but I simply say "yup," and move on. I'm not going to give them the time of day to try and bring me down about something that I know isn't true.

Since I started using marijuana I've had a lot of people fall out of friendships with me because of it, and other people wondering why I'd want to get into something like that. I pretty much just give them my reasons, and say if they don't like me because of it that's their decision. I may lose friends from it, but I make others. Ironically the only drama I'm susceptible to is offline, because in my opinion it's real.

It aggravates me that a lot of people give others the time of day to get to them. I see journal posts like, "if you don't like my art don't watch me!!1" or "people are so mean!!" Why would you bother letting someone who basically doesn't exist give you such a hard time? As far as I'm concerned, if they don't have a name or a face, they're just another bot. Too many people become sensitive to the internet because they're far too concerned about getting well-known by people they don't know (aka internet famous).

Just take everything you see/read on the internet with a shot of penicillin. For all intensive purposes, everyone is a troll and you don't need to be susceptible to their bullshit cries for attention. Most of them make a post to get a reaction, and if they don't get one, chances are you might actually meet someone behind the trolling.

this says everything that i would want to say. i don't view people online as real and i don't view my relationships with people online as real. the world might be getting smaller because of the internet, but if you can't affect my real life, why let you affect any part of my life?

apparently to some people the internet really is srs business, but if someone else wants to waste their time on someone sitting in front of a computer screen, let them. i don't pity anyone on ED because a large portion of the time their own stupidity has landed them there.

the internet is the internet, and real life is real life. some people seem to confuse the two, but that's not my problem.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:03:05 PM by nik »

Offline Tyto

«Reply #8: October 10, 2010, 12:18:20 PM»
I agree with Nik and Erde. If you don't want drama, and someone is trying to start shit with you, just ignore them and move on o.o. Most of the time, people with ED articles deserve having one because of the stupid shit they do. I think so anyways. I don't really care much for drama on here, but it does entertain me when it does go on.

Offline Pikachu

«Reply #9: October 12, 2010, 12:54:47 AM»
Encyclopedia Dramtica actually gives a pretty accurate description of internet drama:
Since then, drama has come to mean any incident, scene, gaffe, rumor, opinion or disagreement that is blown entirely out of proportion.

It’s actually fairly easy to avoid/ignore drama if you go about it the right way:

1.   If you wouldn’t do/say it offline, don’t do/say it online.
2.   Stay anonymous. Don’t post personal information unless you’re asking for unwanted attention.
3.   There is a person behind the username, whether it’s the harasser or the harassed. Be polite, be friendly, and remain neutral unless you are among people you can comfortably discuss your opinions with. You will always find people that attempt to put you down for personal satisfaction online and offline.
4.   The internet is NOT serious business. In the end, it really doesn’t matter what people on the internet think of you. If you comfortable with yourself, then disregard the people attempting to put you down. You are in control of what happens, not them. You lose your cool and you loose big-time.
5.   Don’t make yourself a target.
6.   Choose your friends wisely.
7.   THE MOSE IMPORTANT RULE OF ALL: Get off your computer if it gets to be too much.

flamingdarkfox

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: October 21, 2010, 12:25:27 AM»
Coming back to this, I'd have to say all of you make valid points, Most internet drama, really has no meaning to it, If you get sucked into into it then that's just sad, best to ignore it and keep going forward with your own business

Joel

• Topic Author
«Reply #11: October 21, 2010, 12:34:22 AM»
it's certainly entertaining to see how serious people take the internet. online "drama" just shows how awkward those people probably are irl for seeking it on the net.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:35:26 AM by joel »

Offline Exmortis

«Reply #12: October 21, 2010, 04:30:00 PM»
What I don't understand is those people who never stop. Even after everyone already knows and has it figured out that they are liars and drama whores. What is the point to keep it up?

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for them if it is because they have some sad mental disorder or just that lonely, but some people just never stop.

It's sad and pathetic really and I wish those people would find some real irl help. Drama is drama, but I seriously believe some people it is more than just drama to them. Perhaps a way to get attention or feel wanted/liked in some sick, twisted way.

So where is the line between " Oh its just drama" and " My god this person may really need help." ?

Offline Swinks

«Reply #13: February 12, 2011, 07:03:30 PM»
Just as everyone above said, the ignore command is a wonderful thing

Offline Altria

«Reply #14: February 24, 2011, 08:18:49 PM»
i'm sure many of us have gotten irritated at someone online before, but i've been at the point for quite a long time now where i think its just stupid. -why- do you care if some faceless person on the internet slings an insult at you? are you ever going to see this person? no. is it appropriate for you to spam/flame their favorite hangout because you're upset? no. learn to have a sense of humor and just get over it.

personally, i don't care what people do. they can berate me for x,y, and z all they like, but the fact is that i'm just going to wander off and play xbox or something else entertaining, because they don't matter.

Joel

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: March 02, 2011, 10:33:19 AM»
i suppose it builds argumentative skills!

Offline Razuel

«Reply #16: March 31, 2011, 05:44:56 PM»
Reading the opening post seriously made me bring my hand up to my face and just cover it for a good five seconds while shaking my head.

I'm going to be honest here and say I love online drama, I'll get go one step forward to say I encourage and instigate it. It's not that big of a deal if someone who you've never met before other than on an online game where you are a walking-talking animal insults you. I mean honestly, sit down and think about what you're doing for a minute, think about what you're getting mad at. It's absurd. Also, I love some of the responses in this thread. "They have a mental disorder." "Just ignore them they'll go away.", I'm sure many of you know from experience that telling and doing stuff like this just lets them know that you are bothered by them and throws fuel on the fire. Use your head.

Offline Razuel

«Reply #17: March 31, 2011, 07:37:08 PM»
ahahha austin you took the words out of my mouth.

Well seriously come on, I feel like I'm sitting at the desk at Cypress Homes here with a bunch of kids who got bullied on the playground.

Offline Exmortis

«Reply #18: April 01, 2011, 06:08:12 PM»
I understand the " Why are you getting mad" part, since no one should get mad. But that isn't the point is it? I mean would you do the same thing in real life? Are you that person that has no problem going up to anybody and saying whatever insult you wish up in their face? If you do, then you are just being the way you are. If you don't? Well, that kind of just seems cowardly. Drama may just be drama, but it shows how a person is how they act upon it. Encouraging needless drama online isn't just going to erase away from the real world. Yeah a lot of them you will never meet or probably ever talk to again. But a lot of times reputations on the internet can cross with real life.

There is enough shitty people in the world already. Why add any more even if it is on some stupid game. These are real people. Even though you can turn off, laugh to yourself and move on. People who are not as mentally or socially stable, may not have it that easily.

Perhaps it just a simple. " Think about others before yourself". Type thing. Lord knows how hard that is to ask from people these days though.

Offline Shan

«Reply #19: May 24, 2012, 10:28:19 PM»
I personally choose to avoid it and steer clear!
do wut now?

Offline Zim

«Reply #20: May 24, 2012, 10:38:12 PM»
I personally choose to avoid it and steer clear!

Two things:

One, this thread has been dead for a year.
Two, if you're choosing to revive a dead thread in this section, please make sure you make a thoughtful post, as this is In-Depth Talk.
This goes for EVERY thread here you've revived.

c: Thanks.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Shan

«Reply #21: May 24, 2012, 10:41:59 PM»
Sorry, I just felt as if a few of these may needed to be bumped up. There are alot of forums nowadays that just let important topics and let their boards rot. It's good to keep things active for new members, so it looks like a welcoming and comfortable forum. I am terribly sorry.

My opinion though truely on online drama, is Facebook is alot of it. People are now creating crazy website just for drama! I live in Halifax, NS, and there was just a website opened called thedirty.com. There is a Halifax part, and it is for people to bash people and talk about them and post their pictures. It is a sick thing. Alot of people today try to fit in by joining in on it which causes alot of problems as well. The only way to avoid it is to absolutely STAY away from it :)
do wut now?

Offline Sheikah

«Reply #22: May 24, 2012, 10:47:17 PM»
It is understandable that import topics should be seen, but we do have rules in place pertaining to post content.
    Repeated topics will be locked or deleted.
        i.   This means thread necromancy is OKAY in this section, as long as you're adding an INTELLIGENT POST to the topic.

While good-intentioned, it is against the rules for posts to not be thoroughly thought out in the in-depth section! Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause. ;v ;
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:54:34 PM by Exavier »

supersaver