supersaver

Author Topic: Some kinda new paypal crap  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Iggy

Some kinda new paypal crap
«: September 10, 2010, 08:59:39 PM»
Here's the deal:

I'd made a full paypal payment no different then I usually do. What happened was quite simple: the money disappeared from my bank account, but I received no receipt from paypal.

I was suspicious, so I asked if the receiver got the payment. They did not.

I called up Wells Fargo. They said: "We do not recommend doing business with paypal. This has happened often."

The deal turned out to be paypal basically taking the money for themselves. I do remember that an old friend of mine had a similar problem, but she'd purchased a life dragon off the digo website. She never received the dragon, but the money disappeared. Same basic concept.

"Often," hmm? Anyone else had this problem? Not like I'm turning to snail mail or anything ... I explained that I must do this business with paypal now and then. They advised me to call anytime something seemed suspicious. They also advised me to NEVER link my bank account to paypal.

Worried? A bit. :/ Stop using the service? Well...there's not much else to use...

Anyway, it seems like banks will take care of the problem. I've NO idea how to avoid it except to not use paypal. I've no idea how to not use paypal. lol.

That's all, really. Dunno what to do D: All Wells suggested was to use bank transfers from one account to another directly, but that's a hassle and identity theft is a possible crisis anyway.

Meh.

I have every interwebular permission required to post Kyle's mathematical failures.

Offline Whister

Re: Some kinda new paypal crap
«Reply #1: September 11, 2010, 05:33:10 AM»
PayPal is pretty much THE most secure money handling system. I can't imagine them doing this for absolutely NO reason. D:

Offline Narnia

«Reply #2: September 11, 2010, 07:03:54 AM»
Did you try, you know, contacting PayPal?
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Iggy

«Reply #3: September 11, 2010, 03:04:37 PM»
Did you try, you know, contacting PayPal?

I sent in a full email going into detail about what had happened. It was sent yesterday so if I'm to receive a response I wouldn't expect one until Monday I suppose. Couldn't locate a phone number (-> The tabs that the link is on arent working) :/ But I suck at finding things.

edit: Found a number, calling. -wait, wait- .... YOUR CALL MAY BE RECORDED! ...If I have a 6 digit web pin? Oh, there it is. "Thanks, one moment." Lawl.

edit2: Hah, my guy was really sweet. :P "I suggest you call us, we just have the help center stuff to slow down people who don't know what they're doing."    Me: "Like me?"   Him: -laughs, says nothing.- LOL. Anyway, he said he sincerely apologizes for the missing charge, but since Wells Fargo had stopped any pending transactions and the money was returned, there was nothing else that could be done. He reassured that paypal would never steal. Now, perhaps I'm just lucky this time, but I KNOW that paypal has caused money to disappear before. This is why I asked if anyone else has ever had problems with them because I'm curious.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:20:58 PM by Jo »

I have every interwebular permission required to post Kyle's mathematical failures.

Offline Whister

«Reply #4: September 11, 2010, 08:09:29 PM»
Glad you got things sorted out, but PayPal is KNOWN for their lack of mistrust or missing money. Like I mentioned- they are the most secure money handling system on the planet (That I know of). If they had stolen money before, it was probably a con artist sending fraudulent PayPal emails (which happens more often than PayPal actually stealing the money) or a technical glitch. If PayPal actually was stealing money- they wouldn't be around.

Offline Schwarz

«Reply #5: September 11, 2010, 09:43:33 PM»
something similar happened to me a few years ago. i just called their help line & they were really nice about it. they admitted there are some technical glitches from time to time (most likely when many people are using the service at the same time) that screws things up.

but they refunded my money & it hasn't happened since so.

Offline Harley

«Reply #6: September 12, 2010, 08:23:16 AM»
Just to chime in I had an issue where I was trying to sign up for their PayPal Debit Card and they kept withdrawing that little down payment for it but it wouldn't let me get the card for some reason, despite being a verified buyer for years. All I had to do was call them up and it got fixed. I never got the card but I got the money back.

My point being is that people need to stop immediately posting their claims to fraud on the boards. At least take the time to contact the involved parties to get it sorted out, otherwise you do get questions like, "Well did you contact the Guardians/PayPal/Digomarket, etc.?"

supersaver