supersaver

Author Topic: Recreation of accounts  (Read 1383 times)

Offline l a p i s

Recreation of accounts
«: September 02, 2010, 08:34:31 PM»
I believe that those who wish to delete their accounts should give Mods a -legitimate- reason as to why they want to remove their account. Yes, there's the new rule on not having multiple accounts which is nice.. However, I've come to notice that there's one or two people that continually delete and recreate new accounts over and over and over.

Maybe I'm just being too wary, but I don't see the reason for such, other than to clear posting history and abandon an alias and start up a new fresh one without any type of good/bad reputation of any kind... Or, for the genuine sake of just quitting FAM for awhile. (Note that these are the ones that usually don't come back for an extended period of time.) I'd like to continue keeping my finger on who my good buyers and shady buyers are.

And no names were put in, for the sake of neutrality i'm not going to point obvious fingers at anyone. This is a mere suggestion.

Input?

Joel

Re: Recreation of accounts
«Reply #1: September 02, 2010, 08:37:47 PM»
if you have a bad reputation you should reap what you sow instead of hiding with a new account.

Offline Zim

«Reply #2: September 02, 2010, 08:47:45 PM»
I actually wouldn't mind making this official policy.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Creek

«Reply #3: September 02, 2010, 08:54:04 PM»
I agree with this so much.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline CJnomnom

«Reply #4: September 02, 2010, 08:55:33 PM»
Strongly agree.
PM or whisper CJ in-game.

Offline Julie

«Reply #5: September 02, 2010, 08:57:40 PM»
this could help a lot with the scam threads too, not only current but future ones as well.

however, it would be incredibly difficult for mods to determine whether or not the person is lying abou their reason for wanting to delete their account... so perhaps there need to be a few other rules created? something like, if you're involved in a scam, one way or another, you cannot delete your account until both sides are resolved? and you cannot delete more than one account in the span of so many months?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:00:53 PM by Julie »

Offline l a p i s

«Reply #6: September 02, 2010, 09:05:35 PM»
Oh I love y'all so hard. <3
I think the Mods could do an IP check on the account before deleting it, and do a quick posting-history skim to determine if it seems like the user seems clean. I'm certain they've dealt with shady users before, and that they know how to pinpoint which behavior is normal or erratic.
But I do wholeheartedly agree with the scamming both-sides thing, and the limit on deletions too.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #7: September 02, 2010, 09:32:55 PM»
I don't have a right to require someone to give me a reason to delete their account. If I continue to keep their account after they want it deleted I might have a problem.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Julie

«Reply #8: September 02, 2010, 09:40:37 PM»
would it still be possible to limit how many accounts a person makes in a certain time span, so we don't have the same person creating account after account?

Delilah

«Reply #9: September 02, 2010, 09:55:30 PM»
would it still be possible to limit how many accounts a person makes in a certain time span, so we don't have the same person creating account after account?

I agree with this concept.

To me, it seems shady if someone deletes an account, creates more, and mysteriously have alts that were similar to the "quitter." It raises a red flag, and makes me not want to do business. That's just me, though, since I'm paranoid.

Haz

«Reply #10: September 02, 2010, 10:05:52 PM»
This seems its directed tords me a little, because i just deleted meep and returned, I did once before wayway back. *edit*  nevermind that was on faz, forgot. But that's beside the point I notified a staff both times, I agree with this, I did for the sake of drama, I hate drama.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:12:29 PM by alexusonfiyah »

Offline RIKKI

«Reply #11: September 02, 2010, 10:22:48 PM»
This seems its directed tords me a little, because i just deleted meep and returned, I did once before wayway back. *edit*  nevermind that was on faz, forgot. But that's beside the point I notified a staff both times, I agree with this, I did for the sake of drama, I hate drama.
The OP didn't name names for the sake of neutrality, as stated in the first post. Don't try and turn the subject around to make it about yourself when someone is trying to give a genuine suggestion to improve the site as a whole.

That being said, I also agree with this suggestion, if it can come to fruition.

Haz

«Reply #12: September 02, 2010, 10:25:12 PM»
The OP didn't name names for the sake of neutrality, as stated in the first post. Don't try and turn the subject around to make it about yourself when someone is trying to give a genuine suggestion to improve the site as a whole.

That being said, I also agree with this suggestion, if it can come to fruition.

Im not just staying my opinon dear.

Offline Chronic

«Reply #13: September 02, 2010, 10:28:33 PM»
Granted, I don't know the full story behind this but it seems to me that if the drama is so extreme it would be wiser to leave for several months to try to cool down and perhaps have a friend post your alts in your absence?

Either way, it seems like it would be difficult to keep up with every person and whatnot. It seems logical to try and keep up with multiple accounts but what about people who go on their friends computers and those who use the same computer as their mother, brother, sister, etc. so certain accounts would have the same IP? That isn't entirely fair for them. I've never ran a forum though, so I don't know if what I'm saying is somehow easier to handle then I think. *shrugs* Having a reason would be the easiest way, but in that aspect I could tell a mod I'm quitting and have my account deleted easily enough.
Team Edward you got the sparkly bastard.
Team Jacob you got the pedophile.
Either way you look you're boned.

Offline Zim

«Reply #14: September 02, 2010, 10:30:38 PM»
Let's keep it civil and neutral please.

Offline Creek

«Reply #15: September 02, 2010, 10:31:42 PM»
Avoiding drama is not a good reason to delete your account and recreate one. It's called get a thicker skin and get over it, or leave 100% all together. I've been involved in plenty of drama on FAM, I still have my original account from 2008. If I were you, I'd have 5 accounts over the last 2 almost 3 years.

You can control everything you do. If you continue to post to a troll in a topic, you are adding to the drama; thus causing drama yourself. You can choose to ignore said person or report them to a staff member

Anyways back on topic~

[useless thing here since I dont think IP could be used to prevent that stuff at registration]

I agree with Julie on what she said though :3

And I think with the multiple account thing, you're supposed to tell a staff member if you're sharing a computer/account or something with another member; I'd need confirmation with that one~
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:35:29 PM by Jacki. »
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Zim

«Reply #16: September 02, 2010, 10:35:50 PM»
And I think with the multiple account thing, you're supposed to tell a staff member if you're sharing a computer/account or something with another member; I'd need confirmation with that one~

Yes.

Offline Chronic

«Reply #17: September 02, 2010, 10:42:48 PM»
Sorry for hopping off topic but: Ahh, news to me. Most of my friends aren't furs and those who are don't play Furc, except my husband when he's bored... But yeah, I never worried much on that topic because of such. Sorry about that.
Team Edward you got the sparkly bastard.
Team Jacob you got the pedophile.
Either way you look you're boned.

Offline l a p i s

«Reply #18: September 02, 2010, 10:43:16 PM»
I don't have a right to require someone to give me a reason to delete their account. If I continue to keep their account after they want it deleted I might have a problem.
S'understandable really, and in truth I did notice the posts made by accounts are still archived in the threads with their posts, just no longer searchable via the profile. However if there was any way the stats of the account could be logged temporarily in a section like a Mods only board, mayhaps? For future reference to turn to if a suspectable user needed a quick background check. On an popular forum I helped Mod once, we had an archive of users we stashed aside and discussed if the occasion needed be. We locked, deleted, and cleared their history as deemed appropriate.

As for keeping up with every user, that shouldn't be too much of a problem since by my experience, there hasn't been too many people that need to be hawked in the slightest. I've hopped on FAM on other computers, on my iTouch, etc. but I've done my best to stay in line and just go about my routine. I'm pretty sure the Mods are familiar with most of the users habits by now. The store thumbs are the ones that stick out the most, anywho.

Offline Margaery

«Reply #19: September 02, 2010, 10:51:50 PM»
I think you should only have to explain why you're deleting an old account and creating a new one if someone notices you doing it over and over and over again like I've seen one specific person do.

Offline l a p i s

«Reply #20: September 19, 2010, 04:05:58 PM»
Coming back to this thread, I just remembered something.
Facebook and Myspace make each user go through a bit of a process before allowing the deletion of an account.
Perhaps if there could be a similar method implimented?

supersaver