supersaver

Author Topic: What draws you into a fandom/series/etc?  (Read 1423 times)

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
What draws you into a fandom/series/etc?
«: July 06, 2010, 05:12:50 PM»
What specific things get you hooked on a certain fandom?

The first fandom I got really attached to was Naruto (hurf durf). I think what made me really like it was that there was this really, really expansive fandom full of people. That was before I got easily annoyed by the general population of most big fandoms. It wasn't entirely about "this is what everyone's doing", though. Anyway, there was a lot you could creatively participate in with this fandom from roleplay to fanart to original characters and beyond.

Other than the large amount of people involved, I specifically liked some of the characters. I used to be a Kakashi fangirl, in fact. But, I was never truly invested in the plot. I only cared about what happened to characters I liked. I don't really give a shit if Naruto becomes Hokage.

I don't really get into fandoms as much as I used to, but I'm curious to see what other people will say about why they get into something.

Senny

• Topic Author
Re: What draws you into a fandom/series/etc?
«Reply #1: July 06, 2010, 06:09:12 PM»
Stargate: My mum used to watch SG-1, no lie, every single episode she had seen right down to the original movie. I eventually started watching it with her. From there, I got onto Stargate Atlantis. I'm a total wraith fangirl though, haha. I still rp as one on Gateworld, and used to rp as one in-game.

Offline ah

«Reply #2: July 06, 2010, 11:38:10 PM»
i'm really lame but i'm a rather hardcore vocaloid fan but i usually can't stand other fans for some reason

i like the singing robots' designs and most of their voices and the fact they mostly have no set personalities so you can just be like "THIS ONE HATES BUGS AND LOVES FROGS" or some crap. lol

Offline Hathor

«Reply #3: July 07, 2010, 10:57:01 AM»
Stargate. Like Pulchra's Mum, me and my Dad have watched it since the movie, saw the first series when it first came on Channel 4 and still watch it weekly on DVD. We both still need to see Universe though, don't get the channel it's on. ): I bet RPing as a wraith is really fun! Doctor Who is another of my favourite series. I started with the Ninth Doctor. My Mum had seen alot of the old series and said it was awesome, so I watched the first ep, and fell in love with it. The Back to the Future films first got me into time travel stories, and I just really, really love sci-fi. I find both SG and DW fans to be really nice.

Offline Julie

«Reply #4: July 07, 2010, 11:39:10 AM»
my dad played Zelda when my mom was preg with me, and i love zelda. always have, ever since i was old enough to use the controls. so maybe that has something to do with it? lols~

otherwise, my mother raised me around a lot of dogs. in our previous home she had a dog grooming salon set up in our basement and that's where she ran her business. i would hang out there often, seeing as my parents were usually busy and couldn't take me to any friend's houses. that developed into me loving dogs, and other animals, and as a result any show, movie, or book that has animals (Blue's Clues, Land Before Time, Guardians of Ga'Hoole, just to name a few) i was in love with it. i even had an Inuyasha craze for a while, because of the animal demons.

i'm not sure where i get my taste in music. none of my friends listen to what i like (they're all into the hip-hop shit, fucking makes me want to rip my ears off) and i was raised on things such as Molly Hatchet, Scorpion, and other things like that from my dad. my mom would play Bob Seger and Billy Joel. i guess i really just like things i can relate to, or beats that i like.. just the general reasons why you would like a song/artist/etc.

can't think of anything else i'm really into... ja
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:06:50 PM by Julie »

Senny

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: July 07, 2010, 11:56:04 AM»
@Hathor: I'm not a fan of Universe. Well, I haven't seen it, so I can't really say that off the bat.. But apparently it's completely a new 'breed' of Stargate in comparison to SG-1/SG:A. Ooh, yes, hehee. I have.. two wraith OCs.

Oh, and, another fandom I'm sort of partially into is, overall, historical films. Cold Mountain, Master and Commander, Hornblower...

Offline Alexandra

«Reply #6: July 07, 2010, 12:41:33 PM»
Character developement and storyline, as well as keeping it realistic or at least somewhat backed up by science and history so I can go indulge myself in it outside of the series. (:

Offline Fallon

«Reply #7: July 11, 2010, 09:43:21 AM»
What really gets me is a good mystery or hospital like series. For example: I love House, Dexter, and CSI.

A lot has to do with my mom would watch shows like that for as long as I can remember, and it kind of rubbed off onto me.

Offline Margaery

«Reply #8: July 12, 2010, 04:29:44 PM»
I'm very into The Tudors. The series draws me in because it's loosely based off King Henry VIII's reign over England. I've been studying that specific time period for quite some time, and I've always taken an interest in European history. While the series may have ended, and while a bit of information may have been twisted, it's still suspenseful and interesting.

Joel

• Topic Author
«Reply #9: July 13, 2010, 12:25:18 PM»
i'm a fan of shitty television series, i won't elaborate or specify...

but also, i've always been a fan of nintendo originals. such as zelda and mario for example, they're just such great classics. i'm not sure what has "drawn" me into these game series (and the characters), but i guess a lot of originality and optimism is incorporated.

anonymous

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: July 14, 2010, 10:10:09 AM»
First and foremost I am a member of gaming fandoms.

My top two favorite games are Earthbound and Zelda.

My favorite fandom though, by far, is Earthbound. It's a fairly small userbase, and since Earthbound has such witty commentary and colorful jokes, a lot of the fans use those for whatever they're doing (artwork based on it, modding ROMs).

In fact, the Earthbound fandom is so dedicated that starmen.net made a full English translation of the Japan-only release Mother3. I still bought the Japanese version, but played through the English ROM.

But what draws me in? Character development, plot, and originality. If anyone here has played through Earthbound, they know exactly what I mean. (:

Zelda fits in to this too, mainly because it's such an in-depth story, its own world and races, and even religion. I just really enjoy when a series takes every little thing and emphasizes it so it fits. Tiny details.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #11: July 15, 2010, 02:13:28 AM»
i love nine inch nails because.. ugh. it's probably one of the first true bands i've fallen in love with. i heard their music, adored it, saw them in concert, fell harder in love. after that i desired to know everything about trent reznor. i've been following the band and trent keenly ever since, and that dying love has transferred onto his new band, how to destroy angels. i just .. ugh. LOL i am just so nerdily obsessed with him because.. i don't even know. i just do.

Elmo

• Topic Author
«Reply #12: July 15, 2010, 02:23:08 AM»
... Elfen Lied, and Chobits.

I was hooked. I watched the entire series of Elfen Lied in one day, and same with Chobits.

I was hooked because, well.. I really really love blood and gore - but on the other hand (my sweet side) I love romance and 'cute things as well..

And it's quite a big step for me, since I don't usually focus on Anime all that much...

Offline Heavens cat

«Reply #13: July 18, 2010, 08:44:59 PM»
I don't get engaged into fandoms very often. The only ones I can remember right now are Wolf's Rain (anime series) and Teenage Fanclub (band).

Off the top of my head, two common and significant variables that are present for enduring fandom on my part are:

a. I need to really enjoy the series overall. I don't think I focus on any specific 'feature.' Both WR and TFC affect me emotionally though, so maybe the ability to exploit my emotions is significant? More importantly, I think I just have to enjoy it over and over and over ...

b. It doesn't matter if the fandom is already well-established or relatively undiscovered, but I have to discover it at my own pace. I can't follow a series as it comes out and be engaged with over fans of the series/band -- or at least when I'm in the process of discovering it I have to be in relative isolation. This helps me appropriate the series/band and makes it feel special. For this reason I usually join 'fandoms' several years after popular interest is depleted (although not necessarily).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:48:19 PM by Heavens cat »

supersaver