supersaver

Author Topic: If you ran DEP...  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Julie

If you ran DEP...
«: June 30, 2010, 12:13:16 PM»
What would YOU do? I know a lot of people have opinions on everything DEP does, including the new digo releases, and this includes myself.

That's really the thing that bothers me the most. It seems DEP has completely forgotten about the old digos, some that may need an update (I know the old digo portraits are not nearly as intricate as the new ones). Why not take ideas to make their old digos better, instead of creating more and more new digos that people may or may not like?

If I ran DEP, I would listen to my players. To me I feel like they're satisfying their own wants, and not listening to what their players want. I, for one, never remember asking for a new snail digo...

I do, however, remember asking to have a voice feature in the game. I haven't looked into what the newly-added feature does completely (if someone can explain it in a nutshell for me, that would be greatly appreciated!) but I'm glad that I see something I remember wanting in an update.

The newest map, The Wylde, looks dead every time I am in it. Granted, I'm not in it often. It's very intricate, but what was wrong with our other maps? Yes, it was added because they came out with the Feral digos, and is meant for feral dreams, but why spend so much time and effort on a map such as The Wylde instead of working on something your players REALLY want? I know a lot of people asked for Feral digos, but why go so far as add an entire Feral map? The only reason I can see for a new map is to make space for dreams on other main maps--which I CAN understand that. It's much easier to get around AI than it used to be, pre-Wylde. But the map seems way too intricate to be used simply as a dream uploading map, which it's being used as now.

Why not expand the maps we already have? If there's too much concentration in one area, make another area designed to handle high traffic.

I know DEP is a business. They are centered around making money. In order to make money, however, you need to cater to what your customers want. You spend time and money creating something, wouldn't you make sure it would make a profit when it's done?

Like said, if I ran DEP, I would listen to my players. If more space was needed, I would expand older maps and update them, rather than spending time and money on an entirely new map that may or may not be a hit. When it comes to making money, I would play it safe. Make sure the idea was popular with my players before I invested in it.

Cup Ramen

Re: If you ran DEP...
«Reply #1: June 30, 2010, 07:44:42 PM»
If I ran DEP, that shit would run into the ground.

I am not even going to pretend like I know how to run a business. I am definitely guilty of bitching about the way they run things, but to be honest, I don't truly know any better than they do.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #2: June 30, 2010, 08:01:06 PM»
Do you read their forums?

They're working to address like everything you've mentioned.

If I ran DEP though, I would have quit because of assholes like me.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Julie

«Reply #3: June 30, 2010, 10:15:54 PM»
Do you read their forums?

They're working to address like everything you've mentioned.

If I ran DEP though, I would have quit because of assholes like me.

actually i don't, haha. ;x never was a fan of their forums. i'll check it out though

Offline Altria

«Reply #4: June 30, 2010, 10:50:14 PM»
I'd do pretty much the same things as you, Julie. I haven't been on for most of the past year, I admit. However, I see that players are complaining about some of the same things now as they were when I took a break a year ago. IMO, it seems like they're ignoring most of what players are saying, and that's not the way I would do things if I ran DEP. We have a lot of new digos, which can be nice, but nobody is going to want to buy digos if they aren't entertained by Furcadia itself anymore. I agree that the old digos should be re-vamped, and I think I would attempt to get my players back into the general "fun" of Furcadia, by improving old maps, perhaps introduce new games, and most certainly try and get people dreamweaving again. Walking around Furc, I see many of the same empty dreams and many of the same AFK crowd who just don't seem interested anymore. I'd also do more advertising/marketing to get some new people on the game as well.

Matter

«Reply #5: July 01, 2010, 12:14:41 AM»
I would hire someone who could handle PR properly and I would open space for paid advertisement on the website, forums and possibly the game. Aside from that, not much.

I am sure DEP would like to implement player input, but it doesn't have the income or staff to do anything about it in any timely fashion. Digos are (relatively) fast, cheap to produce and currently DEP's only source of income, so stopping that practice would just be shooting yourself in the foot. It's highly probably that they are plenty aware of what will and will not sell considering they've been selling this shit for over a decade. I doubt they have the buffer of funds to take their artists off digo production and revamp old art for an uncertain monetary return.

Offline Julie

«Reply #6: July 01, 2010, 01:18:28 AM»
I am sure DEP would like to implement player input, but it doesn't have the income or staff to do anything about it in any timely fashion. Digos are (relatively) fast, cheap to produce and currently DEP's only source of income, so stopping that practice would just be shooting yourself in the foot. It's highly probably that they are plenty aware of what will and will not sell considering they've been selling this shit for over a decade. I doubt they have the buffer of funds to take their artists off digo production and revamp old art for an uncertain monetary return.

if the entire digo itself is, as you say, relatively fast (which i do agree with), and if they even just went back and updated the portraits, that would be a cheap and quick touch-up to improve an old digo, even just a bit.

there were very few digos when i began playing furc a few years ago--dragon, phoe, gryffe, what wings they had, etc. i think furc was celebrating close to 10 years on-line... i really don't remember. it was the Squirrel update, i do remember that much.

they have recently started pumping new digos out and, compared to their activity over the previous years, it's at an incredible rate.

they stuck to the usual things you may see in a fantasy game--dragon, phoenix, and a griffon-like bird they dubbed the "gryffe". they are fairly recognizable, used in roleplays, and are therefore popular.

when have you ever RP'd as a slug? or a flynx?

i think the ferians are a good inclusion. DEP listened to what we wanted, and IMO i think they are very successful and most are cute, i would definitely buy them. you see people RP as lions, tigers, wolves, and foxes. adding other ferals (and other digos for that matter) past what are found commonly (flynx, slug, panooki?) are a risk. if it's cute, or if it's a common request, you can pretty much assure it's going to be popular.

when i say that they need to listen to their players, i do mainly mean about the digos. the maps can wait, that would be a huge update that would take too much time and really wouldn't make much profit at all, besides maybe bringing in people who make dreams and buy dream packages.

when i see furc pump out digo after digo, i feel like if i buy it i'd be disapointed with a half-assed project--which i know isn't true, but that's just the feel. it's a complete turn-off when i have money on furc to spend, but i don't want to spend it on the wrong thing.

i feel like all i'm talking about is digos. lol u_u

Offline Tony

«Reply #7: July 01, 2010, 01:45:50 AM»
i'd do a better job than they're doing now owned

anonymous

«Reply #8: July 01, 2010, 02:46:26 AM»
I would hire someone who could handle PR properly and I would open space for paid advertisement on the website, forums and possibly the game. Aside from that, not much.

This, and that's about it too. I don't think I could do anything BETTER than DEP could at this point, I know for a fact they're trying. I was actually thinking about why Furc doesn't get paid advertisement.. I think it would be beneficial.

As far as what they're doing now, there are plenty of better ways to do it, but I'm going to assume most of the people here don't know a lot about game development and coding, thus really wouldn't know anything about running the company (but this is just me assuming).

It's not like they're drones made to appeal to us. They deserve their fun, and if they DO want to make snail avatars than whatever, it's their game. It may not be a smart move since not many people will buy it, and it will 'take up room or cost them money they don't have,' but who are we to say they can't?

However, I do wish they would address more important things earlier on. Not so much the 32-bit update or any of that overly expensive updates, but... I'd like that new server, and perhaps a few more FREE avatars, as opposed to the 10 new digos per month.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #9: July 01, 2010, 05:54:58 PM»
I think they've gotten PR under control.

However, paid ads on the website and forums. Even if its just AdSense. God yes. They'd make at least an extra $500 to $1,000 a month if implemented properly. While not a ton, is more than they had before.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Harley

«Reply #10: July 01, 2010, 06:57:57 PM»
Back when the Life Dragon was first introduced, didn't it used to be that if you bought one you got a small blurb on the log in screen? (Back when it was that big brown display with Jujinka or w/e) They could probably throw in a little something like that for their News window too for the user base.

Edit: Probably wouldn't hurt for them to ask for a small fee for advertising on their channels either if they don't already.

anonymous

«Reply #11: July 01, 2010, 07:26:13 PM»
Back when the Life Dragon was first introduced, didn't it used to be that if you bought one you got a small blurb on the log in screen? (Back when it was that big brown display with Jujinka or w/e) They could probably throw in a little something like that for their News window too for the user base.

Edit: Probably wouldn't hurt for them to ask for a small fee for advertising on their channels either if they don't already.

I remember that, actually. I think it was for any mythical lifer. But yes, I agree they should do something like this again, maybe an announcement when someone buys a lifer (despite the fact a lot of people will complain about that, too).

At this point I think the best way they could make money is to implement advertising. Time will tell if they decide to do so. (:

Offline Harley

«Reply #12: July 01, 2010, 07:48:22 PM»
I wouldn't say an announcement when someone buys a lifer, or bring that exact thing back. Just that people can pay money to have a blurb on the log in screen/news window as another small means of generating some income.

I wasn't meaning to turn it into a suggestions post, by the way. Just something I recalled and wondered why it wasn't something they hadn't evolved from in regards to paid player advertising.

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #13: July 01, 2010, 11:33:21 PM»

I remember that, actually. I think it was for any mythical lifer. But yes, I agree they should do something like this again, maybe an announcement when someone buys a lifer (despite the fact a lot of people will complain about that, too).

At this point I think the best way they could make money is to implement advertising. Time will tell if they decide to do so. (:

http://mychelle.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5ioux Because I was such a nerd.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Cardali

«Reply #14: August 06, 2010, 03:06:26 AM»
I think they've gotten PR under control.

However, paid ads on the website and forums. Even if its just AdSense. God yes. They'd make at least an extra $500 to $1,000 a month if implemented properly. While not a ton, is more than they had before.

I agree. They don't have to put enormous ads, or anywhere where they'd be completely annoying.
Doesn't AdSense work to where you get x amount of money for each unique click you get on an ad? I could be misinformed, though, but that was my understanding.

It's not like they're drones made to appeal to us. They deserve their fun, and if they DO want to make snail avatars than whatever, it's their game. It may not be a smart move since not many people will buy it, and it will 'take up room or cost them money they don't have,' but who are we to say they can't?

It is their game, but they'd make more money if they also created things that players really want.

The worst digo that has come out, to me, was the Naga. It looked nice to me, but the water was just ridiculous. It doesn't even look like water. People can make animated waterfalls in patches, why didn't they do something more accurate?

I'm not saying that they can't create things they want, because that's important too. But creating things like ToasterWings and Flynxes and Snayles as opposed to something that people have wanted and been asking for for a long time is, in my opinion, a waste of their time. You can't just do what you want and expect a business to succeed, you have to put time and effort into it and listen to what your customers want from you, and act on that. Do what you need to do first, then do what you want to do.

And I'm sorry if any of that sounded rude. I didn't mean for it to be.
And also I know this hasn't been posted in since July, but I wanted to put my two cents in and see if there aren't more opinions out there.

supersaver