supersaver

Author Topic: Does the word 'faithful' mean anything to anyone anymore?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Tieler

I've been dating this girl for about 4 years now.
I've known her since the 5'th grade.
I got her into furcadia,
Yes, I know her in person and not just on the game.
Every since I got her into furc, she's done nothing but whore herself around.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm currently a bit distressed about it.
We broke up for a brief period and recently got back together.
My only two characters where mated to her's.
Turns out, that doesn't stop her.
So. I caught her hitting on some guy at the dream she works at.
I have the logs and everything where my afk'd alt was.
She went off with him somewhere, and that was that.

I know it's a game, and I know it's only roleplaying and is fictional. But on the other side of that computer is a real person. She gave me a lecture of how I should be her only mate and be so devoted to her. I told her "Sure," and agreed to it. It didn't matter much she she is the love of my life. But apparently it didn't apply to her. She keeps secret alts from me so she can roam around and yiff with everything in the furn. It probably shouldn't peeve me this much, but it does. She wouldn't be happy if I did it, but she has the right to do it? Yawouch.

Advice please ?):
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:08:41 PM by Deidara »

Bone Weir

Re: Does the word 'faithful' mean anything to anyone anymore?
«Reply #1: June 23, 2010, 10:25:21 PM»
This makes me mad. There are perfectly fine, loyal people on Furcadia. I know this may seem kind of harsh, but if she can't be loyal on a PIXELATED WORLD how can she be loyal in real life? You have to detach yourself for a moment here, look at this. She's running around on alts flirting with other people. How do you know she's not doing it, texting other people? Or IRL either? The best thing I suggest to do is to confront her on it, and don't back down. Tell her you don't like her attitude, it's not right. I feel your pain. I had a relationship that went awry because my mate and one of my best friends met. He ended up kissing her. We mended it, sure, but it took a lot of work. It took a year, actually, to really patch it up. You have to think, is she worth this kind of behaviour if she doesn't stop? You'll probably find the answer is that no, she's not.

Offline Tieler

«Reply #2: June 23, 2010, 10:31:37 PM»
I've broken up with her before over things like this. I have people flirt with me or what not, and I have other options then here. But do I flirt back? No. And I reject everyone else, but not as rudely as it sounds. She's a flirtatious person with everyone on the internet. I always catch her talking to creepy old guys on facebook and myspace. It just makes me feel like I'm not good enough, so bad that she turns to internet relationships. She should be calling me within the half hour, I'll gather courage to bring it up to her. I'm going to need to. I can find a new mate on furcadia, that doesn't bother me. I don't doubt that I can find someone trust-worthy. Actually, she just called this very second to complain to me about her ex. She talks about him constantly... I do guess it's not worth it anymore. It's much too stressful and I believe that a relationship should be stress free, but occasional fights is to be expected. This has just gotten ridiculous. :/

Bone Weir

«Reply #3: June 23, 2010, 10:33:46 PM»
Good luck darling. I hope everything works out for the best.

Offline Michelle

«Reply #4: June 23, 2010, 11:27:57 PM»
honestly, it's pretty dumb to be upset over someone 'flirting' on furcadia. i mean, unless she has the chance to meet him in real life, there's nothing to be so upset over. plus, if you met her 4 years ago in 5th grade, that makes you.. what.. 13, 14? you guys are still discovering who you are.. and really shouldn't be in a "devoted" relationship. it's silly.

but as beltaine said, you need to watch out.. if she's flirtatious on the internet, she may be playing around behind your back in the real world.
>>> alts for sale HERE.

Offline Tieler

«Reply #5: June 23, 2010, 11:41:59 PM»
I'm 19. I'm no kid. And I'm no fool when it comes to love.
I met her in the 5th grade, I didn't date her in the 5th grade.
I said I was dating her for 4 years.

She just toys with me. Constantly. I brought it up to her, and she just said she felt like having fun so went to the furn and asked some random guy to yiff. I mean. It peeves me a bit, but I understand it is only game. But those are real people on the other side of the computer screen. I'll get over that. But she flirts with random men on facebook and myspace and it bugs me in the sense that she could get hurt this way and the feeling that she's okay with cheating. It's her life and she can do what she wants and if she wants to be out flirting with everyone and using me as just a toy, I don't need to be a part of it.

Matter

«Reply #6: June 23, 2010, 11:50:48 PM»
lolmonogamy

Your girlfriend likes to text fuck other people. She isn't going to stop. Either deal with it or break up with her, but treating her behavior like it's some sort of abomination is just going to convince her that what she's doing is somehow inherently wrong, and instead of finding a partner who is okay with what she's doing (they exist), she will continue to lie to you and the rest of the partners she has that aren't okay with it -- all she is going to take away from your bitter breakup is that she needs to be ashamed and secretive about it.

Alternatively, if you actually love her, you could be the guy that doesn't give a shit. Seriously, what is it about her flirting with other people that bothers you, online or off? Why do you take her behavior as a commentary on her feelings for you? It's fully possible and probably true that she does care about you, and her flirting or lack thereof with other people doesn't change that. Why do you even care? Is it because you're actually jealous, or that you feel you have to be jealous because you're told repeatedly that faithfulness is some sort of holy grail and that any relationship that deviates from that is just lesser or bankrupt? "She gets her act together or I leave" aren't your only options.

Offline Tieler

«Reply #7: June 24, 2010, 12:00:40 AM»
I'm a girl):

I just feel like if she has it set in stone that I can't do this and she dictates it and enforces it, why doesn't she follow her own rule? I am a jealous person, and I know it is ridiculous getting upset over something that isn't really going on, but she doesn't even talk to me the way she talks to them. She's one that goes out for attention, and I suppose it makes her happy. So if random internet strangers make her feel better about herself, so be it. But it's just hypocritical how she tells me that I shouldn't even talk to anyone in a suggestive way other then her. Pft. It's no worth fighting over her. And I don't intend on blowing the 4 years we took to built. I do love her, so I guess I'll just suck it up. It's just a big pet peeve.

Offline Flaw

«Reply #8: June 24, 2010, 03:22:29 AM»
Maybe instead of posting on FAM (where you, know, she might possibly read considering she plays furcadia), you should go talk to her and work out whatever your problems are.

Or just stop bitching about it if you're not willing to.

Joel

«Reply #9: June 24, 2010, 08:07:50 AM»
Maybe instead of posting on FAM (where you, know, she might possibly read considering she plays furcadia), you should go talk to her and work out whatever your problems are.

Or just stop bitching about it if you're not willing to.
maybe she was looking for other's interpretations regardless if her girlfriend reads it or not. also, just because someone is looking for advice doesn't make it "bitching".

Offline Tieler

«Reply #10: June 24, 2010, 09:11:22 AM»
1. She doesn't have FAM.
2. I just talked to about it with her, I had to wait for her to wake up. I did this around 1am.
3. I wanted advice, I'm sorry if you took it as bitching.

Thank you, Joel. :x

Bone Weir

«Reply #11: June 24, 2010, 09:27:07 AM»
Some people just don't bother to read threads fully anymore and can be jerks about it, or just be too wrapped up in themselves to see that it's an advice thread.

My advice for everyone else? If you don't have some advice/something nice to say about it, don't post. Unless you really just enjoy wandering around looking like a jerk on everything you post on.

Offline Exmortis

«Reply #12: June 24, 2010, 09:48:56 AM»
Relationships are hard these days. Finding someone who is not only faithful, but will treat you right, is really hard. A lot of people take relationships to lightly these days. Not only do you want to be happy, you should want whoever you are with happy as well. If they aren't, whats the point?

Well, I hope everything goes well for you, Deidara.

Offline Tieler

«Reply #13: June 24, 2010, 09:52:49 AM»
Thank you Beltaine and Comedic.

I talked it over with her, and we are broken up for the time begin. Long distance relationships aren't my forte. She's in New York for schooling and I'm in Ohio visiting family. I rarely see her. We're not fighting or anything I just mentioned that if she can't be loyal in a fake world how can she be loyal in a real world? And one thing led to another, and it was the inevitable end. At this point, I don't care for fixing it asap. We'll see where it goes from here.

You guys(Well, most of you) gave good advice though. Thank you :3

Offline Julie

«Reply #14: June 24, 2010, 11:44:03 AM»
sounds like she's controlling, a hypocrite, and she's sneaking around. and i'm willing to bet that this isn't just happening with furcadia.

not good signs in a relationship, whether they're new or long-term. if your partner is controlling, it's also a form of abuse.

and really, she MAY be the love of your life, but you're 19 right? that is plently of time to meet someone new. someone who respects that you are being faithful, both IRL and online, and if they want to be with you, they'll do the same thing.

if this person cares about you enough, they'll realise their mistakes and work to fix them--not just pretend to, but really WANT to change and WANT to fix this.

i know this is late (since you just said you're broken up and all) but take this as future advice.

Matter

«Reply #15: June 24, 2010, 08:14:25 PM»
if this person cares about you enough, they'll realise their mistakes and work to fix them--not just pretend to, but really WANT to change and WANT to fix this.
No, they won't. People who need intimate interactions outside of their relationship need to be in relationships with people who will accept that. Bullying these people into staying in monogamous relationships and making them believe that no one will accept them otherwise is just going to make everyone involved miserable. Even if her girlfriend is hypocritical and "unfaithful", it doesn't mean her desires are not legitimate and that she doesn't deserve a fulfilling relationship. There are plenty of people who will be perfectly fine with this sort of one-sided open relationship she seems to want, especially in the LGBT community, and she needs to find those people instead of being lead to believe that there's something inherently wrong with her and that she has to change to be able to have any sort of healthy relationship.

Offline Julie

«Reply #16: June 25, 2010, 03:54:59 AM»
No, they won't. People who need intimate interactions outside of their relationship need to be in relationships with people who will accept that. Bullying these people into staying in monogamous relationships and making them believe that no one will accept them otherwise is just going to make everyone involved miserable. Even if her girlfriend is hypocritical and "unfaithful", it doesn't mean her desires are not legitimate and that she doesn't deserve a fulfilling relationship. There are plenty of people who will be perfectly fine with this sort of one-sided open relationship she seems to want, especially in the LGBT community, and she needs to find those people instead of being lead to believe that there's something inherently wrong with her and that she has to change to be able to have any sort of healthy relationship.

to each their own, however, it seems to me that the OP prefers monogomy, since the thread is about how people have seemed to lost the meaning of being faithful in a relationship. i'm not telling them to FORCE their significant other into being faithful, or as you said "bully" them into being faithful.

personally, i don't need any intimacy outside of my own monogamous relationship. i am HUGE on fidelity, and consider any form of intimate contact (besides like, hugging, friendly kisses, shit you would do to your mommy or your bff) cheating, and i don't like cheaters. (remember, this is a personal opinion. i do not mean to offend anyone. if that's what floats your boat, good for you)

if my boyfriend were to sneak around behind my back, instead of confronting me and saying that though he loved me, he also enjoyed being intimate with other people, i would have a DEFINITE problem with that. but had he been up-front from the start of our relationship, or whenever this need to be intimate with others began, we would have had a talk about it and either ended the relationship, or ... well, to be honest, i just wouldn't want to be with someone like that.

i don't want to speak for EVERYONE but from my experience (even in the LGBT community--i have many connections there) they highly prefer monogamy. i'm willing to bet that deidara has a few of the qualities i mentioned above that i posess.

Offline Tieler

«Reply #17: June 25, 2010, 06:54:02 AM»
Julie, I completely agree with you.
If she straight up told me, and put it out there that she does this, I might of been okay with it. It would of been nicer to have her be honest with me, but how she did it behind my back was very dishonest. I hate liars, I cannot stand them, and she seems to lie all too often.

As soon as we split, because one thine led to another and it led to the end, she was off with some other guy crying to him about how terrible I am. Since we both agreed to break-up, I didn't care what she did. I don't care now that she's single if she's with other guys.

Offline Cristina

«Reply #18: June 25, 2010, 07:12:45 AM»

I sorta agree with what you are saying, even though its not what I prefer with relationships. However, the catch-22 in this case to me was that Dei's (ex)girlfriend was insisting that Dei be completely faithful and never flirt or ever think about anything but her, but she was aloud to, in her mind, do whatever she wanted. It sounds to me that you are suggesting Dei's girl find people willing to be in a polyamorous relationship, or something of the sort, but shes going to find a hard time finding someone who will be in that relationship with her terms of "Oh I can go out and flirt and be with other people, but you, no, you have to be only faithful to me and deal with it."

To me, its really sounds like this girl either needs to just be single, or learn how to be a good girlfriend regardless of what relationship you want to be in... because right now, she doesnt seem like a good candidate for monogamy or polyamory, at least in my opinion.

Bone Weir

«Reply #19: June 25, 2010, 07:38:00 AM»

I sorta agree with what you are saying, even though its not what I prefer with relationships. However, the catch-22 in this case to me was that Dei's (ex)girlfriend was insisting that Dei be completely faithful and never flirt or ever think about anything but her, but she was aloud to, in her mind, do whatever she wanted. It sounds to me that you are suggesting Dei's girl find people willing to be in a polyamorous relationship, or something of the sort, but shes going to find a hard time finding someone who will be in that relationship with her terms of "Oh I can go out and flirt and be with other people, but you, no, you have to be only faithful to me and deal with it."

To me, its really sounds like this girl either needs to just be single, or learn how to be a good girlfriend regardless of what relationship you want to be in... because right now, she doesnt seem like a good candidate for monogamy or polyamory, at least in my opinion.

I totally agree Cristina. That was my biggest peeve. Why should she be able to go out, flirt with others, and do all of this while Dei was forced to stay back and only attend to her? I believe polyamorous<sp? huh.. xD> relationships should be equal in that fact. If she wants to find someone who doesn't but will accept her, go for it, whatever. But the whole point of the thread was that Deidara wasn't comfortable with it. It wasn't something she does in a relationship, so why should she sacrifice her happiness for something she doesn't approve of just to keep this girl, who it seems would be more happier running off to someone else. No, Dei can find a better person.

Matter

«Reply #20: June 25, 2010, 09:54:37 AM»
i don't want to speak for EVERYONE but from my experience  (even in the LGBT community--i have many connections there) they highly prefer monogamy.
Infidelity statistics are ridiculously high if that really is the case -- something like 60% of men and 40% of women surveyed have admitted to cheating at least once, and a further 70% of both admit they would cheat if they knew they wouldn't be caught. The majority of people certainly think infidelity is wrong -- but if the majority of people can't manage to stick to their scruples, it suggests that the obsession and worship of monogamy has more to do with the fact it's a cultural institution, a cyclical problem where people idealize and demand monogamy simply because that's what everyone else does, more than any of the virtues of monogamy itself.

An excerpt from The Monogamy Myth:
The Monogamy Myth is the belief that monogamy is the norm in our society and that it is supported by society as a whole. The effect of believing that most marriages or committed relationships are monogamous is that if an affair happens, it's seen strictly as a personal failure of the people involved. This leads to personal blame, personal shame, wounded pride, and almost universal feelings of devastation.

The reality is that monogamy is not the norm, not by today's standards, anyway. Conservative estimates are that 60 percent of men and 40 percent of women will have an extramarital affair. These figures are even more significant when we consider the total number of marriages involved, since it's unlikely that all the men and women having affairs happen to be married to each other. If even half of the women having affairs (or 20 percent) are married to men not included in the 60 percent having affairs, then at least one partner will have an affair in approximately 80 percent of all marriages. With this many marriages affected, it's unreasonable to think affairs are due only to the failures and shortcomings of individual husbands or wives.

According to the Monogamy Myth, society as a whole is supportive of monogamy and of people's efforts to remain monogamous, leading people to expect to have a monogamous marriage. This reinforces the idea of personal failure for those people who fail to achieve monogamy.

There are many people who are highly jealous and would not be comfortable in a non-monogamous relationship, but there are even more people who have monogamous relationships because it is the heteronormative status quo and they are told anything else is immoral and wrong. There are many people who cannot deal with monogamous relationships, but they continue to have them because they are told "almost everyone highly prefers monogamy" and that anything else is immoral and wrong -- that unless they change (the monogamous partner is never the one who should compromise), and struggle to stay in relationships with people they have a fundamental incompatibility with, they will never have any sort of fulfilling relationship -- and the consequence of that is those people end up in relationships with people like you instead of actually finding people they are compatible with.

Why should she be able to go out, flirt with others, and do all of this while Dei was forced to stay back and only attend to her? I believe polyamorous<sp? huh.. xD> relationships should be equal in that fact.
If there are people who will indulge someone with a shit fetish, there are certainly people who are willing to have a one-sided open relationship. Cuckolding is not an uncommon practice/fetish/whatever and she would easily be able to find a partner willing to do that with her if she and other people actually knew it existed and that she is not destroying society for partaking in it. Relationships are a very personal matter, and that the idea that society should have any bearing on whether or not a couple's desires and practices are legitimate is sort of dumb. Polyamory "should" be whatever the people involved are comfortable with, even if it's not something the average outside observer would want.

The likely reason she was dishonest about it is because she expected a volatile negative reaction even if she were to be honest about it. In most relationships, she probably would have gotten one. With how society pathologizes the issue, it wouldn't be a surprise if she never even considered honesty a realistic option. She is probably ashamed of it herself, as evidenced by her hypocrisy, especially when you throw in the additional societal gem of "women who have sexual desires are all sluts and whores".

The attitude that her girlfriend wanting intimate interactions outside her relationship is inherently wrong and that being monogamous would make her a better person is terrible and just encourages shame. Her behavior is an incompatibility -- not a crime, not some heinous unambiguous wrong, just something that makes her a bad match for the monogamous partner she's with. If the immediate propensity of society were not to insinuate that any deviation from monogamy makes you a lesser person, non-monogamous people would not feel their only option is to try to suppress or hide their desires and continue to hurt their monogamous partners when they inevitably fail.

That is my point -- break up if you aren't okay with it, but leave the shame at home.

Offline Sync

«Reply #21: June 25, 2010, 01:35:13 PM»
well i was talking to my lesbo friend about this situation and despite the fact that she values monogamous relationships, she's wondering why you're mad at all for doing sexual roleplay with other people. i'm not sure what purpose she does it for, but the way you describe it sounds like the equivalent of looking at porn and i don't see why that bothers you.

i think the only thing she did wrong here was lie to you about it, though she probably knew something like this would come up if she told the truth.

Offline Julie

«Reply #22: June 25, 2010, 01:37:49 PM»
i don't want to speak for EVERYONE but from my experience  (even in the LGBT community--i have many connections there) they highly prefer monogamy.
Infidelity statistics are ridiculously high if that really is the case -- something like 60% of men and 40% of women surveyed have admitted to cheating at least once, and a further 70% of both admit they would cheat if they knew they wouldn't be caught. The majority of people certainly think infidelity is wrong -- but if the majority of people can't manage to stick to their scruples, it suggests that the obsession and worship of monogamy has more to do with the fact it's a cultural institution, a cyclical problem where people idealize and demand monogamy simply because that's what everyone else does, more than any of the virtues of monogamy itself.

just because someone is in a monogamous relationship doesn't mean they're going to cheat. and just because i happen to have a lot of friends that are into monogamy, doesn't mean that group is more likely to cheat because of 'statistics'. it sounds like you kinda expect group A to have the same amount of cheaters as group B just because what studies may tell you, and the fact that i have a lot of friends who have chosen to be monogamous doesn't mean i should assume that blahblah% of men and blahblah% of women in that group are guaranteed to have cheated, because a study said so. keep in mind that the 40% of men and 60% of women in that study did NOT cheat are still out there. not to mention a single study cannot include everyone on earth. those statistics may be extremely different if it were possible to interview EVERYONE, even if just in the United States.

i'm not saying they aren't out there. i've been cheated on before, i'm not ignorant. i also see what my current boyfriend's brother does to women--meets 'em, bangs 'em, never talks to 'em again. i believe last night, in his drunken stupor, he told my boyfriend and i that he was up to 32 women--a great majority of which he was not with. those he WAS with, he likely cheated on. actually, i'm sure he's cheated on all of his girlfriends. one girl isn't enough, that's how he is. he's tried monogamy, and just couldn't do it.

i understand that there are people out there that are exactly like you said in your first post, Matter. but because they don't see anything wrong with it, doesn't mean the public won't. some people will never accept polygamy, some will never accept mongoamy. i'm not saying that monogamy is better than polygamy, because that would be wrong for me to declare. but for me, myself, and i, monogamy and faith in your partner is what i'm comfortable with and desire.

i'm not faithful because society tells me to be. i'm faithful because that's what i believe is right for me.

Cup Ramen

«Reply #23: June 25, 2010, 01:58:42 PM»
i'm not faithful because society tells me to be. i'm faithful because that's what i believe is right for me.

Yes please.

If this person was not comfortable with a monogamous relationship, and knew full well that they would seek "intimacy" with others, then they should not have entered a relationship with somebody who is very monogamous. They certainly shouldn't have been lying. I do agree that we shouldn't condemn the girl in question for wanting an open-on-one-end relationship if that really works for some people, but it's the way she went about it that concerns me.

I want to explain the way I see intimacy. Intimacy is not the romantic actions between people. You can be just as intimate with your grandmother as you are with your girlfriend, strange as that is to say. Intimacy is truly knowing the person, and being comfortable with being vulnerable with them. I think this vulnerability is extremely important in relationships with anybody, because it allows you to be open and honest with each other.

This is why polygamy is not for me. I simply do not have the ability to form romantic intimate relationships with more than one person. I personally cannot comprehend how people can form this kind of relationship with more than one person at a time, but apparently that does happen. All power to them, I guess.

Bottom line, if you don't want a closed relationship, don't enter one. Pretty simple concept.

Offline Tweak

«Reply #24: June 25, 2010, 08:19:32 PM»
This is why polygamy is not for me. I simply do not have the ability to form romantic intimate relationships with more than one person. I personally cannot comprehend how people can form this kind of relationship with more than one person at a time, but apparently that does happen. All power to them, I guess.

Bottom line, if you don't want a closed relationship, don't enter one. Pretty simple concept.

^

supersaver