supersaver

Author Topic: Implimenting MAC Bans  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Mifune

Implimenting MAC Bans
«: April 09, 2010, 03:01:13 AM»
I've avoided posting this on the official forums since I'm assuming it'd either be locked, or I'd be given a "We have full trust in the current ban system and take pride in the works of the almighty DEP!" bs. Having played Furc a number of years ago, it seems as though the population has somewhat died, yet the number of scammers hasn't. After reading through some of the threads on the Trading Scams Alert section, it seems as though there is one specific thief who continues to return on different names. I'm guessing you probably know who I'm talking about. It appears as though the guardians have turned a blind eye to it.

The current system in place is far too weak. Though you can't simply change your IP, there are a large number of ways to get around it. Such as reformatting. A while back, I played a game called RPGWO which had been coded in Visual Basics 6.0. One of the members had been selling off accounts which had been against the rules. Since he had been a repeat offender, they lead admin used a MAC Ban and never heard from the offender again. From what he told me, a MAC address is a unique address given to a network adapter. So whether you do reformat, or attempt to use a proxy, the number will stay the same. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm going off hearsay.

Though, like all methods, this one isn't perfect either, it seems as though it would stop kiddies. I'm not very Tech Savy, and have no idea how any of this works. But from what I've been told, Furcadia does not use this. People seem to complain that it's an invasion of privacy? Though I don't see how it would be.

Anywho, what are your opinions of the current ban system in place, as well as MAC bans?

Offline LSD

Re: Implimenting MAC Bans
«Reply #1: April 09, 2010, 03:06:02 AM»
"We have full trust in the current ban system and take pride in the works of the almighty DEP!" ............. lmfao

if you've read or keep up with our forums at all you'd be well informed of just how the majority of the community feels about dep. at any rate, we cant really do anything about furc bans, and that is something you would probably want to bring directly to their attention (dep), more than likely your go-to dude would be cironir. i never use mac so i wouldnt know a single techie term you have used here regarding it, unless you dont mean the type of os, in which case then i really have zero clue what you're talking about. but if it works, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.
alts in thread, quitting

Offline Mifune

«Reply #2: April 09, 2010, 03:53:25 AM»
From what I understand it has to do with hardware rather than an operating system. It's a unique number/address put on every network adapter/network interface card which is put in place by the manufacturer. So every computer has a different one. Again, I could be wrong since I'm not tech-savy.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #3: April 09, 2010, 08:22:52 AM»
MAC Addresses can be changed.

Also, Furcadia's bans are much more than simply your IP address. However, I am prohibited from sharing with you any further details.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline fern

«Reply #4: April 09, 2010, 10:40:56 AM»
if people would exercise a little bit of caution, the alerts board would be empty.
what we need isn't more robust ban systems, it's to teach people that NO you cannot trust that person you've known for a week on the internet with your $200 digo purchase while they "get the money".

scammers prey on stupidity, and unfortunately furcadia has it in great supply.

Offline Mifune

«Reply #5: April 09, 2010, 06:59:25 PM»
Scams aren't that simple. Alt trading isn't supported by Furcadia. Even if you get the payment first they can cancel it, or on the opposite end, report it as stolen. Some things are unavoidable. And as for the current ban system, what about adding in a MAC ban, just to be safe on top of the current ban system. If that's even possible.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #6: April 09, 2010, 07:09:19 PM»
Unique systems IDs are already part of the system. Making suggestions about their ban system is worthless here. It's also worthless if you don't understand how they already work.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline fern

«Reply #7: April 11, 2010, 05:37:35 PM»
Some things are unavoidable.

and banning people prevents/rectifies these things, how?

supersaver