supersaver

Author Topic: Furcadia Greed  (Read 3372 times)

Juro

• Topic Author
Furcadia Greed
«: March 28, 2010, 07:58:10 PM»
Lately, I've been noticing a lot of people trying to add on costs to their alts/artwork, whether it be for resale value or attachment. I personally can understand the attachment part, since people feel as though an alt is more precious, but some of the reasons just seem absurd.

Don't get me wrong, people should be able to ask whatever they see fit for an alt. But I never saw this prior to GD being released. I find that people have simply gotten a lot more greedy on altmarket. There are numerous "Quitting" threads, being opened by people who wind up returning a month later. People rarely accept alts anymore. Portspaces aswell as digos are also not being accepted as much. More and more people seem to only accept Paypal. And if they do decide to accept GD, they wind up charging you extra.

I don't see why people will sell their in-game items for outrageous prices, yet not accept other in-game items. I get that people sometimes are desperate for money, but declaring that their in-game items have monetary value while yours don't just seems weird to me.

Any who, what's your opinion on this?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:28:04 PM by Juro »

Offline Sync

Re: Altmarket Greed
«Reply #1: March 28, 2010, 08:09:13 PM»
i don't think many people are "declaring" their alt has that much value. that's just what they're selling it at.
people who are quitting furcadia, or are just losing interest, do not need in game items, including alts, gd, etc. i don't see only accepting paypal as greedy.
if they're accepting gd and quitting furc at the same time, they want more gd than the paypal equivalent because the resale values are not $1 = 1 gd. it's much lower.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:11:17 PM by Sync »

Offline fern

«Reply #2: March 28, 2010, 08:20:02 PM»
Lately, I've been noticing a lot of people trying to add on costs to their alts/artwork, whether it be for resale value or attachment.
if people will buy it for that price, why shouldnt they? this is business 101 here, supply and demand.

But I never saw this prior to GD being released.
not many people had paypal, and putting prices on digos was difficult.

There are numerous "Quitting" threads, being opened by people who wind up returning a month later.
so? those sorts of threads have never compelled me to buy from them.

People rarely accept alts anymore. Portspaces aswell as digos are also not being accepted as much. More and more people seem to only accept Paypal. And if they do decide to accept GD, they wind up charging you extra.
because everyone is quitting. furcadia is pretty much dead. having a cool alt is no good is no one is online to see it.
like sync said, GD is worth less than dollars.

Offline anissa

«Reply #3: March 28, 2010, 08:22:54 PM»
i wouldn't call it greed. some alts are priced the way they are because maybe that's what the person selling it bought it for. like sync said, 1gd isn't equivalent to $1 so the seller pricing so-and-so alt would want more gd in order to make up for its worth in paypal. also, an alt's worth is really what you make it to be and so the price of something wouldn't seem as outrageous to someone else

Juro

• Topic Author
«Reply #4: March 28, 2010, 08:27:44 PM»
People who are legitimately quitting do have the excuse to charge extra, or only allow paypal. But I find far too many people quit, cause drama, and wind up returning a few weeks later. It just seems like a gimmick. It seems that more and more people seem to be selling than trading. The value on in-game items has lowered significantly, which could be due to the fact that, as you said, more people have paypal. Furcadia in general seems to have gotten more greedy. The number of players which play Furcadia hasn't increased that much in the past few years, yet the DEP has advertisements and digos showing up at an increasing rate.

Offline 유진

Re: Furcadia Greed
«Reply #5: March 28, 2010, 08:30:46 PM»
I only agree with the whole quitting thing. It's starting to get annoyin', and most are fake.
Mary had a lamb
His eyes black as coals
If we play very quiet, my lamb
Mary never has to know

Offline Tain

«Reply #6: March 28, 2010, 08:55:20 PM»
i just came back from a 2 year semi-quit (i logged one once every few months to see if anything was happening) and honestly, i was too bored of furc to even go on and sell the portspaces and gd rotting on my alts. if you're selling your alts and stuff then you will never end up quitting because you'll either a. get on and advertise your alts or b. sit on furc waiting to sell at ridiculous prices. you can't use the excuse that furc is boring & such and actually care to sell an alt. you'd think people would come back in another year or two when demand and hype for that name comes up and sell it for $500.
I can't even sell 5gd for $4 paypal. #SC

Victor

• Topic Author
«Reply #7: March 28, 2010, 09:17:25 PM»
you can't use the excuse that furc is boring & such and actually care to sell an alt.

not true. for example, i need the money for surgery and i've already made about 800 bucks selling my alts and i have hundreds more on the way. it would be stupid and selfish of me to let them rot if i can get what i want for them (aka money ONLY). i went from over 20 to less than three. i'm only NOT selling the alts/designs that i plan to use outside of furc as off-furc oc's MOSTLY because they are shit names no one else would want if they were naked (which they would be if i sold them) and because they are holding my surplus of extra lifers. the rest of the alts i own, i'm getting rid of, getting my money back from (as best i can) and moving on.

I don't see why people will sell their in-game items for outrageous prices, yet not accept other in-game items. I get that people sometimes are desperate for money, but declaring that their in-game items have monetary value while yours don't just seems weird to me.

because it's a pain in the ass trying to sell one thing for another and running in circles. especially MOST alts and digos.
i want MONEY for my stuff because in-game items are no good to me right now. i can't hand my Dr. a lifer Werewolf and demand he charge me 200 bucks less. i can't hand the lady at the register a pair of life classix and pay for my groceries... in-game items are only good to people who PLAY the game. resale values suck. i've sold my alts pretty quickly for CASH because that is what i need and thus want most. lifers are hard as fuck to resell right now, and i'm having to cut my losses in selling most of them. why would i take the chance by taking other (shittier) alts for my alts and risk no one wanting it? or lifers/spaces/GD (and have to lower the prices, pay the xfer fees, etc)?
if money is what i want WHY would i accept anything but that?? and if you're so sure your alts/lifers will be worth what mine are and will make money in the end, why don't you resell them for paypal and pay me when you do?

a better way of explaining this? you are trying to appease ONE person when buying something from me... me, obv. if you want what i have? you have to agree to MY terms. not yours (unless you sucessfully haggle me.)
i, on the other hand, am catering to ANYONE who wants the alt. the alt may appeal to some people just as lifers/digos may appeal to other people.
but what you are suggesting is that everyone should be ok with wanting this one thing that you have to offer (aka in-game items in general).
that would be like me going around saying "want this alt? im selling it. you do, don't you? why not? you have no excuse, i know you have money. i don't care if you're buying a life foxen, this alt is JUST AS GOOD OK!!!"

...that was fucking annoying to even type because there ARE people out there like that sadly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:28:37 PM by Ruben & Atreyu »

Offline Mistara

«Reply #8: March 28, 2010, 10:02:21 PM»
Lots of people ask for Paypal only because they are quitting, or don't buy digos anymore.

Offline LSD

«Reply #9: March 29, 2010, 02:04:48 AM»
this is a wildly uninformed topic.
alts in thread, quitting

Offline SULLY

«Reply #10: March 29, 2010, 01:11:28 PM»
I really don't see how asking for paypal cash automatically makes you greedy, which is the impression I'm getting from reading this topic.

Someone also mentioned that "everyone is quitting" and "Furcadia is dead." What?

I also always laugh out loud when anyone tries to apply "business" logic to the Alt Market. If you really think this is a business... you should probably go outside more often.

Insipid blanket statements aside, I prefer paypal over GD because I really don't feel like reselling GD. I sell my alts for $$$ to pay for art, and a lot of artists only accept paypal... because paypal is actual money and GD is basically worthless. I'll sell an alt for a small amount of GD every now and then, but I also have a real life and real life things to do, and selling GD and lifers and port spaces on the Junkyard is not really something I want to do.

Lifers have waiting periods up to 90 days before you can resell them, unless you want to shell out $10 to buy a SS and clear the transfer status. No thanks.

If you're mad because all you have is GD and therefore you can't buy the alt you want, here's a tip: sell the GD for paypal YOURSELF and then, presto, you have $$$. If you don't have a paypal account, organize a three-way trade. It shouldn't be up to the alt seller to do all the extra work. And anyone who claims GD has a good resale rate is a moron.

As for the whole "quitting" issue... I mean, does it really make a difference in your life if someone puts an alt up for sale because they are quitting, but then they don't really end up quitting?

I do, however, mildly agree with the irritation of alts being very expensive due to portraits/art. If you absolutely hate the ports and don't want to pay extra for them, however, most people will sell the alt separate from the design. Also, and I guess this is the bottom line everyone should remember, if the alt is too much money, don't buy it. You really don't need it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:23:15 PM by SULLY »

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #11: March 29, 2010, 06:23:06 PM»
....I dont normally take paypal cash for anything I own. And Im still seen as one of the greediest furc players.

So... lol >.> /waddleout
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Harley

«Reply #12: March 29, 2010, 07:40:06 PM»
The only thing I find greedy is people charging outrageous amounts of money for the shitty art that's very common on a lot of alts. 

I'm one of those people who ask for PayPal only because 1) I do not need digos.  I have enough.  I have several lifer items and am really not looking for more.  I would only want ones to satisfy the need to complete part of me, but not enough to trade my good names for them when chances are I can't resell the item later.  I'll either buy the item or wait for someone to give me one since it's been known to happen.  2) I don't need any names.  I have every name I could honestly want, and any ones I do want are owned by Mychelle and she's my bitch anyway so I'll know get them.  3) Cash buys me more than the stupid GD ever could.  I don't have a job.  This is one of the only ways I can manage to scrounge up some extra cash in an OHSHIT situation so I do intend to take full advantage of it whenever such a situation arises.

Like Sully said, if you don't agree with the price, keep it to yourself.  Don't raise a damn stink about it because that shit's just as ridiculous as the absurd amounts of cash people sell names for.  Again, supply and demand, and yes, the business logic does apply here.  It is exactly like selling Magic the Gathering cards or stamps.

Juro

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: March 29, 2010, 07:59:17 PM»
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Paypal is evil or anything. I just find it strange how quickly people switched to it and suddenly stopped accepting everything else. The exchange rate is kind of messed of trades. Some people will buy an alt for 30GD, and sell it for 30$. But if you try to buy it for 30GD, They'll tell you to slap on an extra 10.

The other portion of this thread has to do with Furcadia itself. I find that they have far too many advertisements nowadays. I personally despise this, as I don't come on a video game to sit through a commercial.

Offline Jamiesaur

«Reply #14: March 29, 2010, 08:36:55 PM»
I've got the +10 for GD thing for my alt, simply because I have zero use for GD at all. I don't buy digos, and I don't really want them, anyways. I can use paypal, since its real life money. If I have +10 GD, then I can get a good amount of paypal selling the GD. And besides, I'm selling most of my alts for like, half of what I bought them for, months and months ago. xD;

Victor

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: March 30, 2010, 11:47:10 AM»
Some people will buy an alt for 30GD, and sell it for 30$. But if you try to buy it for 30GD, They'll tell you to slap on an extra 10.

i don't pay attention to what other people buy alts at, i just know what they are worth to me both before and after i buy them and own them for a while. sometimes the price goes up, sometimes it goes down. again, supply, demand and attachment factor into a very subjective price.

if they slap on an extra ten GD, its prob because they are trying to make their $30 bucks back cause its impossible to sell 30GD for $30 bucks... BUT it shouldn't really matter what the intentions of the other person are in buying an alt. the question should only be 'is that alt worth it to me?'
of so, buy it.
if not, move on.

Offline Fallon

«Reply #16: March 30, 2010, 04:12:47 PM»

Don't get me wrong, people should be able to ask whatever they see fit for an alt. But I never saw this prior to GD being released.

Honestly, I think prices have lowered since before GD came out. Back who knows when I saw $1,000 alts. I rarely see those anymore.

Offline Mistara

«Reply #17: March 31, 2010, 12:44:44 AM»
I spend 0 dollars on all my alts, cause I make them myself.

Offline SULLY

«Reply #18: March 31, 2010, 03:03:58 PM»
If someone is financially irresponsible enough to spend $1,000 on an alt.... kudos to the seller.
As for that unfortunate buyer... their soul is lost forever to the abyss of despair.

Offline Jersey

«Reply #19: April 03, 2010, 12:57:45 PM»
pretty much agreeing with most of you here. accepting paypal makes me greedy? no, i need money for food, clothes and other irl stuff, and i don't really think GD or digos are going to help me out there, right? i also agree that if you DO accept those things, it's a pain in the ass to re-sell them since people rarely buy digos today, and when they do it's for gd. i don't really put abs on my alts because i actually have no idea what they're worth and so forth.

the whole "quitting" issue is also pissing me off. alot of people claim they're quitting, then they end up coming back on an alt. if you're going to stay, then stay. i could easily pull a thread out of my ass saying i'm quitting, when really i just want to get away from the drama and give myself a new identity.

the whole 'pricing alts at $1,000' is also kind of stupid. i mean yeah, i spent $200 on medusa, lifer-wise, never again would i do that. seriously, $1,000 for a character in a game? that's worse than gaia's 'rare' items.

just tossin' in my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:59:55 PM by Medusa »

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #20: April 04, 2010, 03:28:06 PM»
In all perfect honesty if you really look at the details other then what Furc prices their stuff at, GD actually "is" worth less then real money. Cash via paypal can be used to either buy or pay a numerous amount of things, not just Furcadia generated items. While as GD your limited to "only" Furcadia items. So, thinking of it like that, I can honestly see why people only want paypal cash for some things and up the price if someone offers GD. GD is just limited compared to paypal.

And I really do think thats the bottom line and the only point to make.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Sheikah

«Reply #21: April 07, 2010, 09:58:06 PM»
Mych said everything I had on my mind.

supersaver