supersaver

Author Topic: Intermediate Driver's License Rules  (Read 1837 times)

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
Intermediate Driver's License Rules
«: March 13, 2010, 11:32:49 PM»
So, I finally got my driver's license. Yay for me, insert 16 year old girl giggle here, yadah yadah.

But, looking over my state's limits on intermediate driver's licenses, I discovered that one in particular is extremely unnecessary. I don't know if it's just my state or not, but the one that really strikes me as stupid is this;

All of the guidelines are found here. I am specifically concerned about the ones under "Special Rules For Teen Drivers- Passengers"

*  For the first 6 months, you cannot drive with passengers under the age of 20 unless they are members of your immediate family (such as a spouse, child, stepchild, or siblings, both by birth and marriage).
    * For the next 6 months, you cannot carry more than 3 passengers who are under 20 years old who are not members of your immediate family.

I can understand them not wanting you to be driving around with 5 friends in the back seat and one in the trunk (I have been in the trunk before, don't do it). But, I don't believe it is necessary to have only immediate family members for the first 6 months. I honestly don't know what the big difference is between having your sister in the passenger seat, or a friend.

Just today, my friends and I had to take 3 different cars just to get to the mall. Carpooling to school would be nice since we don't have a bus. It saves gas. I'm sure countless others have encountered problems like this.

I would propose imposing a limit on the number of people you have in your car, but eliminating the limit on who it is.

I know my district's senator, and I am considering contacting him  if this is on a state level, which I believe it is. (Hooray for citizen lobbying.)

So, discuss! Tell me what your state/country/whatever's limits are, and what you think. I realize this isn't exactly the most researched and professional proposition ever, but I want to see what comes up.

Vince

• Topic Author
Re: Intermediate Driver's License Rules
«Reply #1: March 13, 2010, 11:47:10 PM»
the reason why you can only have immediate family is so you don't get sued out the fucking ass.

Offline Eevee

«Reply #2: March 14, 2010, 12:40:29 AM»
the reason why you can only have immediate family is so you don't get sued out the fucking ass.
This.
If someone outside your family gets hurt or dies in a carwreck while you're driving their parents may feel its worth suing you over.

As the driver, you are responsible for the safety of everyone in your vehicle

Offline Jearu

«Reply #3: March 14, 2010, 01:39:27 AM»
What Vince and Eevee said.  Also, teenagers don't need their gaggle of friends in the car causing even more distractions than they already have.

I believe in the state of Georgia (My current hell hole for the time being) has the same restriction but only 21 instead of 20. I was 18 when I got my license, so I did not have this law affect me. :3
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Tain

«Reply #4: March 14, 2010, 08:15:41 AM»
how'd you get your license? don't they tell you this shit in drivers ed?
not only what the people above me said, but also so you can get used to it. when you first started driving (can't get a license unless you've had your permit for 6 months) you were with an adult and it was calmer, you weren't with some friend laughing your asses off with the radio blaring.
& it's everywhere i believe. not just your state.
I pretty much agree with all of the laws though, except I think you shouldn't be able to drive with a friend till 18, so kids can't be on their parents insurance if they fuck up.

Offline Sync

«Reply #5: March 14, 2010, 03:16:20 PM»
i believe you can be on your parent's insurance until your 25, though.
EDIT: nvm there's no limit to how long you can sit on it lol.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:19:09 PM by Sync »

Offline Mau

«Reply #6: March 14, 2010, 04:41:21 PM»
seconding what everyone else has said.
First Six Months:

* You can not drive with a passenger under age 20 who is not a member of your immediate family*; and
    * You can not drive between midnight and 5 am unless you are:
          o Driving between home and work
          o Driving between home and a school event for which there is no other transportation available
          o Driving for employment purposes; or
          o Accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 25 years old.

taken from the state of oregon's DMV website.

honestly, i can see why. you don't need to rush it. i've had my license for awhile and i still don't feel comfortable piling a bunch of friends into the car; family members will be much more supportive and understanding of your personal limitations while you're learning to drive, because, regardless of what you believe, you're still an inexperienced driver and this ensures that you're put into the lowest risk situation possible.

Vince

• Topic Author
«Reply #7: March 14, 2010, 06:45:41 PM»
i remember going to uhm a school field trip, and i drove my friend and her friend. all the way from like downtown henderson to the trop in vegas. when we were getting ready to go, three other friends needed rides so i was like fine... it was pretty stressful having six people including you in your car when you can only hold 5. not to mention i had to pass on some weed because i am disgustingly responsible.

this was way after my 6 month period though.

Offline Cristina

«Reply #8: March 15, 2010, 11:36:25 AM»
It's for your own good and safety. Just because you get your license doesn't mean you suddenly have all the driving experience in the world. And also, I think theres some kind of statistic that says for every extra person you have in the car with you, the more your chances of getting into an accident goes up.

And the fact that you are only 16 and have a full license... you should not be complaining. The laws for getting a full license in states like NY restrict to 17 to believe, and even then you have restrictions still.

Trying to argue with it probably wont get you anywhere either, because if anything, these laws are only getting stricter as time goes on because of ridiculous accidents involving teens texting and driving and such. It doesnt matter if you are the safest driver in the world... majority of teenagers get into accidents there first few years of driving and thats something thats likely to never get better.

Offline Zephyrus

«Reply #9: May 02, 2010, 11:57:44 PM»
Those limitations are put in place for safety, having friends in the car while you're driving is VERY distracting **hackcoughSYNCcough** and it's very easy to lose your focus and get in a wreck while you're chatting up your buddy. Just because you have a license doesn't mean you know how to drive, when I first got my license I could barely drive and I couldn't operate basic functions on the car like windshield wipers and headlights, and this was after driving school. Although if you're really that desperate, I'm pretty sure this applies to my state (TN) at least, you can have multiple people, not relatives, in the car with you during that 6 month time period if you have written and signed permission from your parents/guardians, I may be remembering this incorrectly though or mixing it up with something else, you'll want to double check your state laws anyway if you do that.

But its better to learn how to drive well before driving your friends around because hey, how would you feel if you got into some accident and they died or were disabled for life? It happens, and it happens a lot.

Offline Ook

«Reply #10: May 04, 2010, 08:27:45 AM»
when I first got my license I could barely drive and I couldn't operate basic functions on the car like windshield wipers and headlights, and this was after driving school.
what.

Offline Sync

«Reply #11: May 04, 2010, 08:30:56 AM»
they didn't tell you how to do it at driving school lol. they pretty much told you what happens after you die in a car crash (even took us to a funeral home for a lecture one day).

Offline Mifune

«Reply #12: May 04, 2010, 12:40:02 PM»
Our province has the exact same rules. I can kind of see why they're in place, even if they are strict. Perhaps shortening it to 3 months would be acceptable.

The annoying thing about our province is that as of December, Driver's Ed is mandatory. So you have to fork out 800$ for Driver's Ed. This is the only reason I've yet to get it.

Offline fern

«Reply #13: May 05, 2010, 08:07:39 AM»
they didn't tell you how to do it at driving school lol. they pretty much told you what happens after you die in a car crash (even took us to a funeral home for a lecture one day).

and you're paying for this? shit.
the hoops you have to jump through to get your license here in the UK are pretty ridiculous, but at the end of the day they make sure you know how to fully operate a vehicle before setting you on pedestrians..

Sb

• Topic Author
«Reply #14: May 09, 2010, 02:17:08 PM»
Here's some of our rules for our state

#
Provisional license holders under 18 are only authorized to drive without supervision between the hours of 5 am to midnight. From midnight to 5 am they must be accompanied by a supervising driver who is 21 or older, and has held a license for a minimum of 3 years.
#
Provisional license holders under the age of 18, during the first 5 months (151 days) of the provisional period, are not allowed to have passengers under the age of 18, unless accompanied by a qualified supervising driver or the passengers are direct family members.  Direct family members can be a spouse, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson, sister, brother, stepsister, or stepbrother of the provisional license holder, or a relative of the license holder who lives at the same address.

When you turn 18 the time restraint is lifted, no matter how long you've had your license.

Offline Fallon

«Reply #15: May 10, 2010, 05:51:40 PM»
Uh...me and my friends never listened to the no passengers other than intermediate family rule.

Also, here in Michigan when you take driver's training, your on the road pretty much the first day (well around where I live), it's pretty sucky when your stuck behind them.

Offline Cardali

«Reply #16: May 24, 2010, 05:38:02 PM»
a lot of states have the exact same rule, and for good reason.
new drivers are far more apt to have accidents (ever wondered why your parents pay more for your insurance than for theirs?) and are far more irresponsible. it doesn't matter how "good" of a driver you think you are, you can still have an accident, and (as it's been stated) you're responsible for everyone who's in your vehicle. would it really be worth saving the gas if you got distracted by a friend in the backseat and totaled your vehicle? i don't think so.
instead of bitching about a rule that's trying to protect you, you should observe it. it's there for a reason.

in n.m., where i live we have what's called a provisional, which serves as our form of intermediate.
you aren't allowed to drive with more than 1 person who is non-family; so you could have your brother and one other person in the car, legally.
you're not allowed to drive between 12am-5am unless you have a very valid reason (i.e., work).
you have to have your provisional for a year before you can get your full, unregulated license.

Offline Jearu

«Reply #17: May 25, 2010, 01:11:14 AM»
in n.m., where i live we have what's called a provisional, which serves as our form of intermediate.
you aren't allowed to drive with more than 1 person who is non-family; so you could have your brother and one other person in the car, legally.
you're not allowed to drive between 12am-5am unless you have a very valid reason (i.e., work).
you have to have your provisional for a year before you can get your full, unregulated license.
I believe most states have provisional licenses, pretty sure it's called a Class D license. Here in Georgia you have your class D until you are 18, no ifs, ands, or buts. And you can't have more than three people in the car with you until you are 18 and receive your Class B/C license.

I personally think you shouldn't be allowed to get your Class B/C until you are 21. Most 16-20 year olds that I've had to drive with scare the shit out of me. I'm terrified to be in the car when my brother is driving and he's 18. ):
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:14:06 AM by Jearu »
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Harley

«Reply #18: May 26, 2010, 11:51:24 AM»
Pretty sure it's the same in Texas and California, but I was nineteen when I got my license (in Texas) and sixteen for the permit in Cali.  It is for good reason, and yeah, it sucks because of the price of gas but that's how the rules go.

This is going to sound like it's something Hollywood came up with but the first day my brother got his license, he was sixteen, it was Friday the 13th, and he was out driving at 2am with his friend (who was also of similar age) in the car.  He flipped the truck several times and completely demolished it.  There was no windshield left by the time they stopped rolling.  He is seriously lucky he didn't get himself or his friend seriously injured or killed and that no charges were pressed.  I never saw the pictures but I mean the truck was absolutely destroyed.  He claims he was avoiding a cow, but maybe his ass shouldn't be doing 70 on a dirt road in the middle of the country at two in the morning.

Those laws are in there for your (and everyone else's) protection.  Suck it up until you're eighteen, sweetie.  My retard brother is almost twenty and he still doesn't drive properly.  He nearly got me (and the guy he almost hit) killed back in February because he was gunning it at 70 in the middle of a terrible storm on the goddamn highway at 6pm.  He likes to be a hot rod, more so if a friend is in the car.  From personal experience, I don't like having friends in the car because it makes me antsy since I'm a really cautious driver whereas most people my age are not.

Edit: I forgot to add that with the incident in February, he not only didn't have his license but he didn't have an updated copy of insurance.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:28:19 PM by Harley »

supersaver