supersaver

Author Topic: FAM/alt market subjectivity  (Read 3889 times)

Vince

• Topic Author
FAM/alt market subjectivity
«: February 25, 2010, 11:58:33 AM»
we all have our own little opinions as to what's "cheap" and what's "expensive" when pertaining to alts, be it real life names, canon names, real words, pokemon or whatever. there's always that line that we never cross when it comes to buying an alt. we also have our own opinions as to what's a good alt and what's a bad alt.

whenever i see someone saying "i want a CHEAP alt," it conflicts me because my own idea is that $50 is cheap when it comes to an alt that i like/want. however, someone may find $50 a ridiculous price and would think i'm fucking nuts to pay $50 dollars for a name.

so, dear FAM member, what do you think?

i'll reiterate my opinion:

as for me, $50 is nothing for an alt. i'm not going to show how much i'd pay for an alt, and i won't discuss my ideas on a good alt because i'd just be bashing 80% of you lol.

(PS: don't fucking be a dick and try to up prices for people in this thread just because someone like me may pay a lot for an alt. i/we know what an alt is worth.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:00:36 PM by Vince »

Offline Sync

Re: FAM/alt market subjectivity
«Reply #1: February 25, 2010, 12:13:33 PM»
i find 1 - 25 pretty cheap, 25 - 60 mid range, and anything higher than that getting expensive.

yeah i'm cheaper ):

anonymous

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: February 25, 2010, 12:15:36 PM»
After a while I noticed this, and thus lost a lot of connection with my alts so I could sell them cheap. I sold my old main for $15, when I'd originally wanted to sell it for no less than 50.

I myself wouldn't want to pay more than $25-$30 for an alt I really like, unless it was Emma or something. Then I'd dish out up to $100, but I don't think I'd pay more than 100 for a name, even if it was Emma. (and yeah, the alt's dnb and i know it'd probably go for 500 at least, but then i guess i wouldn't buy it).

I think some of the prices are outrageous on some alts, esp. anime characters who aren't even like, the main character(s). But I guess searching for the right alt is looking for something at a garage sale. I bought an alt I now use as a new main for only 2gd, and my other main was free, both great names in my opinion. But at the same time, I would not sell them for that cheap. :p

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: February 25, 2010, 12:26:07 PM»
1-50 cheap
50-100 medium
100+ expensive

At selling should be fairly simple in theory. You're selling the rights to use a name. Some names will be more valued then others. But then when you throw portraits, designs, and greediness into the equation, you have one hell of a cluster fuck.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:34:22 PM by Wind »

Offline Sheikah

«Reply #4: February 25, 2010, 12:34:49 PM»
I am a complete jew and tend to not want to pay more than $5 for anything.  However If I must have the name, I dont have a max price range. I just get it.

Offline Jenni

«Reply #5: February 25, 2010, 12:37:49 PM»
it depends on the alt entirely for me. i wouldn't look for alts depending on price because everyone has their own opinion of worth, although up to 50$ seems cheap to me, anything upwards to a hundred is understandable, but anything over is too pricey/expensive to me, no matter how much i want the alt. then again i buy alts once every blue moon so ..

Joel

• Topic Author
«Reply #6: February 25, 2010, 01:12:29 PM»
i personally think 50 is too much for an alt. but its ridiculous how much they're valued in this game with a playerbase that isn't all that huge, even. but i pay that and more anyway just because i don't have much else better to spend it on... but the amount i'd like to pay for an alt i really want is about 50, i consider 80+ expensive, but i'm willing to pay that from time to time.

Offline Zim

«Reply #7: February 25, 2010, 01:26:51 PM»
I wholeheartedly agree that the definition of a "cheap alt" varies from person to person. I'd really prefer that, when people make threads asking for a "cheap alt," that they actually say how much they're willing to pay instead of leaving it open. I've offered $20 alts that people said were "WAY TOO EXPENSIVE" and then get upset when they can't find anything decent within their price range.

I think, though, because trading has become so widespread, we're attracting people from all different age groups and walks of life, so the perception of value has become incredibly different from what traders generally felt a year ago... Much like when paying a port space for a very nice alt became unheard of, and lifers were the thing.

Also, some people are stuck in the economic downturn and are pinching pennies... but if that's the case, don't spend your money on a game; get groceries, necessities.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Vince

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: February 25, 2010, 04:32:56 PM»
i fucking hate it when i see someone be like HERP DERP I WANT GODLY OFFERS. like shut the fuck up, your piece of shit animu alt isn't worth GODLY amounts just because you think it is.

Offline Tyto

«Reply #9: February 25, 2010, 06:22:03 PM»
I think people who have alts up for ~*godly offers*~ would make others want the alt less.

Joel

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: February 25, 2010, 07:44:05 PM»
yeah, whenever i see something like "OFFER HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!" i just don't even bother to consider it.

Vince

• Topic Author
«Reply #11: February 25, 2010, 07:46:24 PM»
most of those alts are shit anyway lols

Offline Axelle

«Reply #12: February 25, 2010, 07:54:26 PM»
I price...

1-15 is low
16-35 is mid
40-60 is high
And anything over 70 is over doing it.. as I'm clearly not wearing a money suit. I wish I was though, I'd love to have all the money to spend if I could.. but oh well.

But, if it's in the concept that I want the alt because I love it and I know I'll use it, then price isn't something that stops me.

Offline Jearu

«Reply #13: February 25, 2010, 09:07:04 PM»
For me, it really depends on the alt.

I may really want an alt but I won't pay more than $25, if that. Probably because I know I won't USE it or I know I'll get tired of it and it's a name I cannot sell off as easy (get what I paid) as I would like. However, if it's a name I will use, I'm willing to shell out $50-$100. Above $100 is where I draw the line unless I really HAVE to have the name.

$1-35 Low
$40-60 Mid
$65-100 High
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline anissa

«Reply #14: February 26, 2010, 01:14:22 AM»
again, it depends on what i want. if i really really wanted a certain alt, i'd be inclined to pay more to get it.
$1-$40 for an alt i like sounds good to me. even so, anything above it will more than likely turn me away. this especially includes the whole GODLY/HUGE/AMAZING OFFERS ONLY deal.

Offline Julie

«Reply #15: February 26, 2010, 12:51:36 PM»
the price of the alt coincides with the name for me.

if it's a real name, and a popular one (Ashley, Jeff, Justin, Rachel, things like that), anywhere around 30-60 dollars would be /very/ cheap, 50-100 mid-range, 100-150 fair, 150+ expensive. if it's something like KEALEIGH or JEOFOREY or any other gross 'alternate spelling'/misspelling, i wouldnt pay anything over 5 for them--actually, i wouldn't even WANT them.

if it's an alt that means something to me--like an inside joke with a friend, or something that i just really like--there really is no price limit. i'm not stupid, though, and i won't pay 100+ dollars for an alt that someone JUST made and thinks they can make a lot of quick cash from me because i really want the alt.

having a shitty job made me realise the value of a dollar. my paychecks are around 50 dollars every two weeks, most of which goes to gas since i've got a truck that is not fuel-efficient at all, and same is applied to the tips that i make. every now and then i have some extra cash to get some mcdonalds, or a shirt that i've been eyeing for a while, but i definitely don't have money to spend on pixels. that has affected how i buy my alts (and how much time i spend on furc).

where i used to be willing to spend 100 dollars on an alt, i'm now limiting myself to 30, MAYBE 50 dollars max. i'm also trying to only buy alts with the money that i make from selling the alts i already own. i've also been accepting real-life items for alts, like games or CD's that i cannot afford to buy with my paycheck or tips.

however, just because i've become a cheaper buyer, it doesn't mean i see the value of alts differently. i just can't buy a lot of alts that i want, but i'm not really disappointed because of it. prices that i think are fair are sometimes out of my range, sometimes that even goes for prices that i think are cheap.

basically, my affordability doesn't affect what i find cheap/moderate/expensive.

uhh... yea, i forgot what i was going to say. oh well!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:56:09 PM by Julie »

Offline Foster

«Reply #16: March 01, 2010, 01:17:22 PM»
just depends on what i want.  i don't spend too much money on alts unless i REALLY want them and they are actually at a price range that suits them.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #17: March 03, 2010, 08:47:54 PM»
I don't buy really, really good alts because anything over 15 GD is just not going to happen. Mostly because I never have money, but yeah. I would pay for the more expensive alts if I had the money, but I would never be one of those people who pays above 100 for something.

Hell, I got Suzy for 3 GD.

Matter

• Topic Author
«Reply #18: March 04, 2010, 04:32:34 AM»
y'all dudes are nuts i wouldn't pay nothin for an alt

what do you guys even do with all those alts!!! some of you fuckers have like 600 god damn alts poor google must be so bloated with all the emails you have to register

Vince

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: March 04, 2010, 05:23:03 AM»
4chan is hilarious

Offline Trekka

«Reply #20: March 05, 2010, 11:47:25 PM»
1-10 is cheap. I've seen people pay an absolutely ridiculous amount for just a name.
It's just a name. You're going to get tired of playing Furcadia after a while, whether you think so or not, and you're going to look back and go, "God damn, I could've spent that money on something worthwhile."

Offline Foster

«Reply #21: March 06, 2010, 08:31:11 PM»
1-10 is cheap. I've seen people pay an absolutely ridiculous amount for just a name.
It's just a name. You're going to get tired of playing Furcadia after a while, whether you think so or not, and you're going to look back and go, "God damn, I could've spent that money on something worthwhile."

well it was worthwhile for the buyer at the time so that's all that matters.  people buy lots of things for entertainment and get bored of them after awhile..not to mention if you really get bored of furcadia and don't plan on playing again there is always a chance to resell the name for MO MONEY.

Offline Fallon

«Reply #22: March 06, 2010, 10:33:44 PM»
I start out all my alts as just names, so lets see here...

My main alt was a gift, my second main alt was free, and my third main alt I created myself. None of my money goes into the alt names or designs, except for the rare adorable alts I really want but I know I will get bored of them. I spend all of my money on the art and digos, nothing more; I will only spend $15-20 for a port, because that's all it is, a 95x95 box, when I could buy a game or something for the same price which would be more entertaining.

Offline LSD

«Reply #23: March 10, 2010, 03:24:52 PM»
depends on the alt. the market's been declining as of late, and with the introduction of newbies with shit for alts, it hasn't made it any better.
alts in thread, quitting

Offline LSD

«Reply #24: March 10, 2010, 03:25:42 PM»
you haven't been around long enough to know how much some of these suckers have gone for. almost 1k. no joke.
alts in thread, quitting