supersaver

Author Topic: What causes people to go bat shit crazy over a series?  (Read 4903 times)

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
What causes people to go bat shit crazy over a series?
«: November 22, 2009, 04:56:43 PM»
Seriously. I can't comprehend it. I'm not going to beat someone with a bat for not liking the things I like. It's called being open minded to opinions of others. And yet there are people out there that will.

Twilight for example. Perhaps it would be better for me to say that I don't hate the books. I do dislike the series because I feel they were poorly written, contained immoral themes, and lacked good plot and character development. However, I do HATE the rabid fangirls. Read these stories and you'll get an idea of what prompted me to start this topic:

http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fangirls&action=display&thread=5175

^This kind of stuff shouldn't happen.^

I already know that I'm probably going to be criticized because bitching about Twilight is getting  old. Well instead of just looking at Twilight, look at any huge fan base. Lion King, Kingdom Hearts, Harry Potter, House, Final Fantasy, Dragonball Z. What causes these series to become so popular and why do fans become, at some point, willing to break your face if you criticize them?

Offline Camile

Re: What causes people to go bat shit crazy over a series?
«Reply #1: November 22, 2009, 05:24:32 PM»
I think series get so big because we'd like the idea of that happening.

I mean, when I was 9 and younger I waited for the day I turned 10 to find out if I was a wizard like Harry Potter, same with Pokemon.

Same with any other series out there.

It's like religion, you have your cool people that are like, 'Yay for <insert god>'
Then you have your insane radicals, thaaat bomb abortion clinics, hurt another race ect.

Offline Masha

«Reply #2: November 22, 2009, 06:56:58 PM»
My thoughts is that anyone who becomes so aggressively obsessed with a series likely has no social skills and no real social enjoyment in their life.

Offline Zim

«Reply #3: November 22, 2009, 07:20:31 PM»
My thoughts is that anyone who becomes so aggressively obsessed with a series likely has no social skills and no real social enjoyment in their life.

This. With Twilight, it's easy as hell, because the main characters are so hollow that you can place yourself in their position without stretching too much of the story.

This is also why I am a proud member of that website, though I only have two posts so far. P:

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #4: November 22, 2009, 07:39:20 PM»

this.

I can understand being a fan of a series that is actually decent, but I only got through the first few chapters of Twilight before feeling unintelligent and boring myself to death. I don't like Stephanie Meyer's writing style and I don't like all of the immoral themes that are pretty much condoned (lol pedophilia). It was terribly shallow to boot. Luckily, I have yet to encounter any serious harrassment or anything like that, but it's so pathetic.

Offline Faeliteas

«Reply #5: November 22, 2009, 07:43:51 PM»
Okay, I've only admitted this to one other person but when I was in 6th I was a batshit insane Twilight fan girl.
I LOVED Twilight with a bloody passion that anyone who didn't like it would just cringe at the sound of my voice because all I talked about was Twilight.
I liked Twilight because, for one I wasn't in high school yet and the thought of meeting a sparkly faggy vampire appealed to me. It was Edward and Bella's unhealthy relationship that was so appealing to me, because I had never been in a relationship and I didn't know what it was like to be in one.
In 8th grade I read the last book and I was like, "... :| wtf is this shit?" Part of it was because the series ended and then the other was that I was growing out of that young part of myself that loved fairy tales that had fags in it. The other girls I knew kept liking Twilight for some weird reason though and now I'm constantly going "wtf why do you still like it? its disgusting."

And honest to God, I reread the book last year and it sounds like a fucking sex fantasy.
---
edit; i've never gone to the point of trying to kill someone just because they don't like twilight though. D:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:54:56 PM by Faeliteas »

Offline Creek

«Reply #6: November 22, 2009, 07:58:16 PM»
I used to wanna read twilight, all this bullshit has turned me off of it. And I've read 1 page, couldnt stand it cause I like my books to have depth thank you not where I have to mend the details myself :/

And the dramallama fangirls I can't stand. I feel like hating the book even more when I hear about them literally ATTACKING a person for saying "Put down the book" or " I hate twilight". :/
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Masha

«Reply #7: November 22, 2009, 09:57:30 PM»
Back when I was about twelve, I was extremely obsessed with Yu-Yu Hakusho. I wrote fanfics (Creepy ones at that), fantasized, drew about it. I was absolutely obsessed. It happened with  a few series. Pokemon, monster rancher, g gundam, tenchi muyo, thunder cats, sailor moon, beyblade.. whatever was good at the time. Bought their stuff, obsessed some moar. But I was also extremely lacking in social skills. I also came on furc and obsessed over playing it and my character.

I recently got myself a social life (semi) and have learned social skills for the most part. I find myself more and more unable to obsess with things. Probably I also don't have the time to sit here and do nothing but think about the same thing and fantasize. Maybe also because it's just too shallow to keep my interest.

But that's just me. I grew up a little, and can't be bothered with obsession. Just mild enjoyment.

Offline Demi

«Reply #8: November 23, 2009, 01:33:44 AM»
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/11/destructoid-dot-com-fanboy-anatomy.jpg relevant

I had my fangirl "OMG X CHARACTER IS HAAAAWT LOL" moments, obsessed periods with a bunch of things like Sailor Moon and Pokemon. I grew out of it. Now if I become a fan of something I still avoid spending money on it unless I really want it and my life doesn't REVOLVE around it.

Anyone in their junior year of highschool or higher with a crazy fan obsession in my opinion needs help.
Crazed obsession would be talking about it nonstop, buying every related merchandise possible, self-insert fanfictions, having fantasies about yourself and the characters, VOICING those fantasies to everyone.

There was this one short, rolly polly fat girl in my highschool. ALL she ever talked about was how hot that mexican... indian... furry in twatlight was and called herself MRS. Jacob Black. She didn't talk quietly to her friends no she said it loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

Really? One of my biggest regrets since leaving that school is never telling her to shut the fuck up and quit obsessing about a fictional character.

On the subject of twatlight and the poor writing style. Not only did Meyer not research vampire mythology but in the case of that rapidly growing om-nom c-section-with-teeth baby she failed basic biology among other things.

Obsessed fans are one thing here's another thing. PEOPLE WHO ARE FANS OF SOMETHING ONLY BECAUSE THEIR BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND/FRIENDS/COUSIN/DOG LIKED IT. It's fine if they showed it and you GENUINELY BECAME CURIOUS ABOUT IT and decided "HAY THIS IS COOL"

Otherwise don't get into something because EVERYONE and your BFF is into it. Same could be applied to NOT liking it cause everyone and their dog is into it. :\
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline anathema

«Reply #9: November 23, 2009, 02:05:40 AM»
I KNEW THIS THREAD WAS GOING TO BE ABOUT TWILIGHT BEFORE I EVEN FINISHED READING THE TITLE

I AM A+ AT THIS

Offline Demi

«Reply #10: November 23, 2009, 03:42:24 AM»
Lets not forget...
Console fanboys obsessing over one company's systems (like Sony) and bash everyone else who even DARES to play games on other systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1mZJR7aogw this

The fact is no matter what the fandom is (books, games, religion, PETA and so on) you'll always have the mental cases who will despise your existance for not having the same beliefs/opinions as them.  To quote the video "These fanboys seem to think If I don't agree with them I may as well be slapping their mother in the face!"
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline Creek

«Reply #11: November 23, 2009, 05:24:43 AM»
Twilight made 140.7 million dollars this weekend from that theatre movie premiere :/

And ya know, I've had my obsessions, sometimes I still do, but not to the point I literally attack people. I usually prance about my school talkin shit about Twilight to see if anyone has the guts to come at me, only 1 person has taken the bait and got thrown of their ass :/

People need to realize THAT NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE THE SAME OPINION AS YOU. If that was the fact, this world would be boring, and there'd be the same book popping on the shelf all the time. We'd wear the same clothing as each other. And we'd be watching the same...boring...movie all the time. :/ Fucking idiots.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:27:53 AM by Gaea »
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Hathor

«Reply #12: November 23, 2009, 07:16:32 AM»
I grew up loving Stargate and its fanbase, quite a nerdy-but-friendly type of fanbase in my opinion, I've certainly never seen anyone fly off the wall because of somebody insulting the characters. Perhaps because Stargate fans tend to be adults rather than young teens. Though on the other hand, I'm also still a Sonic fan, and there are hundreds of 'tards in that.

I don't think I know anybody that likes Twilight, though if I did, I'd only point and laugh about it if they were like those insane fangirls. I love reading their comments of WHY IT'S SO AWESOME!!!!! and why everybody else should leave them alone, especially on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQFsOoRYDM

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: November 23, 2009, 09:17:32 AM»

I don't think I know anybody that likes Twilight, though if I did, I'd only point and laugh about it if they were like those insane fangirls. I love reading their comments of WHY IT'S SO AWESOME!!!!! and why everybody else should leave them alone, especially on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQFsOoRYDM

Twitards are troll bait. This is fact.

Offline Altria

«Reply #14: November 28, 2009, 02:14:03 PM»
personally, i liked twilight. i needed something to read, and it kept me interested. however,  i wouldn't go and preach that it's the best series ever written and that anyone who doesn't think so should die. i hate the fangirls too, but to be honest, there are batshit crazy fans in every fandom. star wars, harry potter, you name it, there's going to be some people who need to leave their basements once in a while. the only reason you hear about twilight fans so much is because of how popular it is - whatever makes the news and whatever makes the most money. remember all the crazy fucking parents doing awful things to get their kids tickets to see hannah montana?

as for WHY people become so obsessed with a series or whatever...i can't say why. though, as an anime fan, i find that most female anime fans seem to go nuts for an anime if they can turn every single male character in it gay..as for the guys..well we know why they watch anime. (AND NO PEOPLE I'M NOT STEREOTYPING EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVAR, this is just what i've seen personally.)

i don't know why you'd become so obsessed with one thing anyway, why not open your mind to other series/movies/whatever?

Offline Hugo

«Reply #15: November 29, 2009, 01:47:06 AM»
People like it when a series is as dull and unintelligent as they are.

Offline LSD

«Reply #16: December 01, 2009, 06:44:45 PM»
crack cocaine.
alts in thread, quitting

Aedin

• Topic Author
«Reply #17: December 02, 2009, 12:14:32 PM»
I once made the comment that Edward was a fairy, for he sparkled, at college. Let me revise that - I once made the mistake of making a comment... needless to say I got yelled at by two enormous girls dressed in Hot Topic attire and tattoo'd with faeries.

Besides being attacked by a Twilight Nazi, I also tried to hold up the argument of siding with classics like Nosferatu, Dracula, and even Anne Rice. But no, apparently those aren't "in-style."

I think it's retarded to support a series for it being "in-style."

I, too, find the books to lack depth, plot, ect... hell, the damn Harry Potter books were better than this!

Offline Grumpyskunk

«Reply #18: December 11, 2009, 09:36:39 AM»

I think it's retarded to support a series for it being "in-style."

I, too, find the books to lack depth, plot, ect... hell, the damn Harry Potter books were better than this!

Agreed.

I read Twilight and I didn't TOTALLY hate it. I was bored, needed something to read and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. To me, the fact that people go utterly batshit crazy over ANYTHING, especially fictional characters, is ridiculous. The question is, why indeed.

In Twilight's case, I'd wager to guess that the rabid fangirls can relate to Bella in some kind of way, as she's not that hard to relate to since she...uh...has no personality and at least once in their lives every girl fantasizes about being swept off her feet by a Prince Charming, or in this case a not-so-bloodthirsty sparkly gay vampire. If that weren't the case, Disney wouldn't be so popular. To put myself in a rabid fanperson's shoes, I'd say that they have put themselves in the story. They are Bella/Edward/Jacob and to talk down on their book is personally insulting them. Wouldn't you want to punch someone in the face if they called you personally a stupid cunt, etc. etc. etc.? But that's a whole 'nother can of worms about the mental stability of such people but that's my two cents.

I'm admitedly a Spongebob and Nintendo fanatic but I suppose being a fanatic and being batshit crazy about something are different.  I'm not going to shove my Spongebob movie soundtrack down your throat and wrap you up in my linen and bury you in the backyard beneath a pile of Gamecube/Wii game cases because you think one, or both, are horrible. I will respect your opinion, even if it's wrong.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: December 11, 2009, 05:57:46 PM»
I will respect your opinion, even if it's wrong.

...That made me laugh.

Offline Jokes

«Reply #20: January 01, 2010, 06:39:13 PM»
The first time I read the Twilight series I thought it pretty good. It kept my attention for the first bit but when she started going on about how they looked and things, I thought it was strange.

I grew up reading Anne Rice novels or watching Bram Stokers Dracula. Vampires aren't supposed to sparkle or be out in sunlight. To me it just seems strange and wrong. Not only that but her writing style was horrible. That is probably my biggest complain about the books. That and the characters have no real depth to them as many of you have said.

That being said, I had my phase. It's over and done with thank god and every time someone talks about Twilight I try to drown them out with different thoughts. Personally, I think they would have just been good as movies. You know a book is bad when the movies are better then it.
Best way of contact: PMs!!! Selling tons of cheap digos!

Offline Margaery

«Reply #21: January 01, 2010, 07:15:35 PM»
Twilight was nice before all the fan girls got ahold of it and they made the movie.

Offline Vyn

«Reply #22: January 02, 2010, 06:24:08 PM»
Let's be honest,
I never say anything about twilight because I'm one of those people who believe people should like whatever they like,
I clicked on a couple of those threads; it's horrendous, over a book, pft.
My idea is that people think this stuff is real, and when you kind of "Burst their bubble"
They get annoyed, but to threaten people with knifes and such, Crazy world.

Offline Delirious

«Reply #23: January 05, 2010, 11:49:51 AM»
http://www.mylifeistwilight.com/

I honestly believe the people who make non-trolling posts on that site have mental problems.

Offline anathema

«Reply #24: January 07, 2010, 11:22:16 AM»
http://www.mylifeistwilight.com/

I honestly believe the people who make non-trolling posts on that site have mental problems.

the only way i can go to sleep at night after reading that and not having to hate everyone is insisting to myself that they are all fakeposts

supersaver