supersaver

Author Topic: Surgically Changing Pets  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Fallon

Surgically Changing Pets
«: November 15, 2009, 06:55:01 PM»
Alright,

Every Saturday I go to Petsmart because I am part of a dog/cat adoption agency that takes in abused dogs and cats. While I was there this Saturday there was a large black dog that was so cute; the lady who was in charge of that agency (wasn't mine) told me he was good with kids and other pets, so I decided to take him for a walk around the store. While we were walking a white little dog owned by someone else decides to bark at my dog causing my dog to bark in return but that's when I noticed that the large dog looked like he was barking but no sound was coming out. I later asked the lady and she said the dog was de-barked or his voice box was surgically altered to make it so he can't bark.

I think these kinds of things are horrible and not needed to be done to a pet. What's the use of getting a dog if your just going to change it like that?

What's your say on this?

Offline anathema

Re: Surgically Changing Pets
«Reply #1: November 15, 2009, 06:59:02 PM»
wh-what why would anyone do that ):

Offline Fallon

«Reply #2: November 15, 2009, 07:00:42 PM»

Exactly what I thought! It's just....wrong.

Shamwow

«Reply #3: November 15, 2009, 07:01:15 PM»
it's disgusting.

i mean, you can't take out the voice box of a kid just because he's screaming, why are we allowed to do it to defenseless animals?

imo, dogs are now like designer hand bags to some people. they want what looks the best, not a companion.

Offline Jearu

«Reply #4: November 15, 2009, 07:03:06 PM»
People are too lazy to train their dogs. Dogs and barking go hand in hand, if you can't deal with it then get a damn cat.

That is awful. ):
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Sync

«Reply #5: November 15, 2009, 07:05:43 PM»
i'm not really exactly sure when any owner would bother paying large sums of money to get a dog's vocal chords removed when you could just get an anti-bark collar for a lot cheaper...

Offline Fallon

«Reply #6: November 15, 2009, 07:07:11 PM»
I think if someone can do it to an animal, they can do it to a human being. Things like this should not be allowed to happen.

i'm not really exactly sure when any owner would bother paying large sums of money to get a dog's vocal chords removed when you could just get an anti-bark collar for a lot cheaper...

And good point.

Offline Demi

«Reply #7: November 15, 2009, 07:07:20 PM»
Don't get a dog if you don't want to deal with the barking. Big loud dogs or small yappy dogs. :\ The only valid excuse to do that is if something bad happened to the dog's voice box that required surgery... like an accident or cancer.

If you can't be bothered to train your damn animal you shouldn't even own it.
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline Narnia

«Reply #8: November 15, 2009, 07:54:09 PM»
De-barking dogs is illegal in some states, particularly in dogs that are known to be attack prone.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Electric Guitar

«Reply #9: November 15, 2009, 10:47:01 PM»
It sounds like the lady was too lazy to train her dog not to bark. Surgery fixes everything doesn't it?

Offline Fallon

«Reply #10: November 15, 2009, 10:50:00 PM»
De-barking dogs is illegal in some states, particularly in dogs that are known to be attack prone.

Well that's good. (:

Cup Ramen

«Reply #11: November 15, 2009, 11:38:37 PM»
if you can't deal with it then get a damn cat.

qft. I have a yappy little chihuahua-dachshund-rat thingy, and we dealt with it properly by training him.

Offline Dolly

«Reply #12: November 15, 2009, 11:48:16 PM»

:(...................

Matti

«Reply #13: November 15, 2009, 11:58:23 PM»
I am strongly against debarking, as well as declawing, cropping, and docking.

The only surgical alteration that is necessary for pets is spay/neuter.

Offline Jazz

«Reply #14: November 16, 2009, 12:25:37 AM»
I don't like the idea of debarking a pet and I especially hate it how people chop their dogs tails off, it's just wrong! Would they like it if they had their arm chopped off? Or their leg?

Offline Fallon

«Reply #15: November 16, 2009, 02:23:03 PM»
I am strongly against debarking, as well as declawing, cropping, and docking.

The only surgical alteration that is necessary for pets is spay/neuter.

I will admit that I have a cat who is declawed in the front paws. He is actually a rather aggressive cat so they strongly advised it.

Offline LSD

«Reply #16: November 16, 2009, 03:23:04 PM»
absolutely never should be done. except for getting them fixed unless you have proper homes for every single offspring your pets will undoubtedly produce.
alts in thread, quitting

Offline MAU

«Reply #17: November 16, 2009, 03:40:34 PM»
i would rather hear a nice healthy bark from a dog as opposed to the grotesque wheeze that comes out of a "debarked" animal. i can't imagine my dog being unable to bark; it's his voice, and he seldom uses it unless he has a legitimate reason to. why? he's trained (that and he's fairly quiet anyway).

If you can't be bothered to train your damn animal you shouldn't even own it.

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #18: November 16, 2009, 03:43:27 PM»
I own a few cats that are declawed in the front. And I'll admit a few of them I declawed myself because they were rather...destructive.

But when it comes to "de-barking" as its called, a guy I knew in highschool's mother bred/raised/showed pure-bred Yorkies. Went over to their house once and got my first experience of a barkless dog. Its rather fucking creepy to be honest if you've never heard it yourself. To see a dog sitting there yapping its little head off, but the only sound coming from it is the sound of its breath as it tries to make the barking noise. Its downright pitiful.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Creek

«Reply #19: November 16, 2009, 03:44:03 PM»
Ya know, my dog was trained, but then she got hit by a car on the head, and went through paralysis, and barks at everything that moves now, but atleast that tells me she's still alive :/

I wouldnt be able to stand a debarked dog, I love hearing my dog, cause atleast it tells me she's still upbeat and living. If my dog was debarked, I might think something is wrong :/
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline io

«Reply #20: November 16, 2009, 03:45:16 PM»
That's one of the most terrible things I've ever heard. My cousin has a beautiful mastiff and he had to go and get her ears cut because it made her look "tougher". I don't get it, it makes me sick. @[email protected];

Offline Fallon

«Reply #21: November 16, 2009, 04:00:44 PM»
That's one of the most terrible things I've ever heard. My cousin has a beautiful mastiff and he had to go and get her ears cut because it made her look "tougher". I don't get it, it makes me sick. @[email protected];

WOAH. Never heard that one. o-o

Offline Creek

«Reply #22: November 16, 2009, 05:03:38 PM»
Cropping the ears. I hate that :/

If you wouldnt do it to a child, don't do it to an animal D:
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Jenni

«Reply #23: November 16, 2009, 05:19:39 PM»
my dog rarely barks, and when she does it's rather useful because it tells me when somethings going on (ie: family fighting, someone foreign is coming, someone falls).

if they don't want a dog to bark, train them! it's free.

Shamwow

«Reply #24: November 16, 2009, 05:27:10 PM»
my dog barks when my parents hug or at strange people/animals outside. and the occasional bark at a dog bark on tv.

there's another thing they do to dogs, i don't know what it's called. but it's basically making them look like a panda? http://hubpages.com/hub/panda-dog

basically people are interested in designer dogs, once again. not a companion.

supersaver