supersaver

Author Topic: Holiday Season  (Read 2578 times)

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
Holiday Season
«: November 11, 2009, 12:38:12 AM»
Ugh. It comes way too damn early. Went into WalMart to get groceries. It's not even Thanksgiving yet and they've already got holiday items out and are playing holiday music. I know businesses start gearing up early because the holiday season brings in a lot of money for them.  However, every year it's the same old story. They start pushing into our faces way too early and by the time the holidays actually arrive it's already somewhat spoiled for me. And I like the holidays. This over commercialization has become a pet peeve of mine. Does it bother any of you?

Come to think of it, I remember what happened last year on black Friday. A WalWart employee got trampled to death by shoppers after WalMart advertised some huge deals. Or how about those two guys that shot and killed each other when their girlfriends were fighting over the same thing. It kinda makes you wonder why.

Offline Altria

Re: Holiday Season
«Reply #1: November 11, 2009, 03:56:37 AM»
People are absolutely ridiculous nowadays, that's all I can say. I've never gone shopping on black Friday and hope I'll never need to.

I don't live far from the place where the WalMart employee was trampled to death. You have no idea how much that story still pisses me off.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: November 11, 2009, 11:29:18 AM»
People are retarded, no exceptions.

I really, really hate how early they push Christmas (YES I SAID CHRISTMAS HAHA). Jesus, I haven't even had my turkey yet. As for black Friday, I've done it the last couple of years with my sisters since our mall isn't full of rabid crazies on that day...

Offline Narnia

«Reply #3: November 11, 2009, 11:44:10 AM»
Good news for WalMart employees. Their stores will not close on Thanksgiving this year so that people can remain in the stores until the 5AM sales start. No trampling as the doors open.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Eevee

«Reply #4: November 11, 2009, 11:52:24 AM»
they start advertising christmas stuff in june/july

Offline Narnia

«Reply #5: November 11, 2009, 12:53:49 PM»
Those are Christmas in July sales. That's a different commercialization.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Jearu

«Reply #6: November 11, 2009, 01:31:00 PM»
Good news for WalMart employees. Their stores will not close on Thanksgiving this year so that people can remain in the stores until the 5AM sales start. No trampling as the doors open.
I didn't know Walmart (not the Supercenter) closed on Thanksgiving.

There were Christmas trees, decorations, knick-knacks, all that stuff up in September.. Full on Christmas, not the Christmas in July little things here and there. November 1st I went out to Walmart to get a bag of Halloween candy since they usually get marked half off and the candy was nowhere to be found.. Overnight they replaced the Halloween candy with Christmas candy. @-@

I personally like to get my shopping done before mid-November, having all the Christmas goodies and sale up by October is good thing for me. And Black Friday isn't as bad as everyone makes it seem, atleast not at any of the shopping areas/town centers/malls here. The biggest problem you'll have is finding a parking spot.

I'm one of those people who can't wait to put up the Christmas decorations and trees and I find it very hard to wait until Thanksgiving to do so. --Christ, I've been singing/whistling/humming Christmas tunes since June. ahaican'thelpit.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #7: November 11, 2009, 02:02:13 PM»
Regular WalMarts generally close at 11PM on Thanksgiving (like normal). This year, they'll stay open through the night like the Supercenters.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: November 11, 2009, 03:07:00 PM»
Regular WalMarts generally close at 11PM on Thanksgiving (like normal). This year, they'll stay open through the night like the Supercenters.

...Another reason to not work at Walmart....

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
«Reply #9: November 11, 2009, 08:33:44 PM»
No graveyard shifts for me.

Offline Sdae

«Reply #10: November 12, 2009, 10:15:44 AM»
I don't know about the whole holiday swarm that goes on in the stores. All I know is that I won't be out on black Friday. They just opened up a new Walmart super center near here and it's already packed enough. I wonder how many more people they could fit in there. Ha ha. Since they already have Christmas stuff out, it just gets overrated by mid-December. They should just start advertising after Thanksgiving. I mean really.. There is a dancing Santa globe looking at me from my neighbor's yard.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #11: November 12, 2009, 11:34:05 AM»
Just a dancing Santa globe? My neighbor's yard plays Christmas carols already.

Offline Subaru

«Reply #12: November 12, 2009, 12:26:09 PM»
I work at a dept store and we set up our Christmas displays and merchandise on September 15th.

We started playing Christmas carols on November 1st.

Subaru Nia

Offline Narnia

«Reply #13: November 12, 2009, 02:17:41 PM»
I want to be clear Christmas is not a commercialized holiday. Christmas is a religious holiday that happens to be commercialized.

If you want a purely commercial holiday, look up Sweetest Day. It is really only a holiday in Ohio and was created by Cleveland candy companies as a day when you are to buy your loved ones something 'sweet' to show how much you care.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #14: November 12, 2009, 03:49:35 PM»
Considering that America was founded by Christians its not surprising that the holiday of Christmas is more widespread and abused than any other religious holiday. You'll notice however most businesses now refer to to this time of year as Holiday Shopping, the Holiday Season, or some other variation of Happy Holidays rather than restricting it to Christmas. However, regardless of the amount of commercialization that has appeared it doesn't change the fact that CHRISTMAS is a religious holiday that is commercialized, and not a commercial holiday.

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
«Reply #15: November 13, 2009, 07:14:20 AM»
What Narnia said. I don't care so much that it's a commercial holiday. What bothers me is when it gets ridiculous and annoying.

Deutsch

• Topic Author
«Reply #16: November 13, 2009, 01:35:41 PM»
I work at a dept store and we set up our Christmas displays and merchandise on September 15th.

We started playing Christmas carols on November 1st.

Ugh, this.

It was September, and our mall was already fully-decked out for the Christmas season. 24/7-playing Christmas carols, the poinsettias, lights, and giant Christmas display trees fully erect and functioning. Winter doorbuster sales and holiday commercials, and it hadn't even turned to fall yet. The only thing that was missing was the dude dressed up as Santa to take a picture of your crying, snot-nosed kids.

The whole...area that I am has pretty much been transformed for the holiday. The city/downtown is decorated with lights and winter banners. The radios are playing their Christmas/winter-themed music all day, every day. Store sections have been demolished to set up all their Christmas wares. And Halloween hadn't even occurred by then; the leaves were still green and it was still 70-80 degrees outside.

It always feels like it's getting earlier and earlier every year. I'm awaiting to see Christmas happen in June or something. Last year I was a little nonplussed to see things like this happening in October, but September now? The end of August? And by the time the winter holidays actually roll around, I'm always already sick of them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:37:22 PM by Deutsch »

Offline Narnia

«Reply #17: November 13, 2009, 02:33:22 PM»
I don't know how much earlier it will get, but I certainly expect that in our lifetime we will see two big holiday shopping seasons:

June and July for Christmas in July.

September through January for Christmas/Winter Holiday.

Though it is quite possible that you'll see it June through January if the winter season creeps into August. I don't see that happening though because that's the back to school season.

Offline Infected

«Reply #18: November 14, 2009, 08:07:18 AM»
I work at WalMart, and I can honestly tell you that we started putting out our Christmas stuff on Halloween. I was disgusted. :(

Tala

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: November 14, 2009, 08:32:06 AM»
I work at Lowe's, our manager  volunteered our store to be the first to set up christmas stuff. So we started seeing it up a little after Sept 1st, then again I saw it way before then at Hobby lobby... It takes all the fun outta everything. We get our Trees in friday, I'm so glad I'm off.

Offline Ook

«Reply #20: November 16, 2009, 09:12:47 AM»
It's rediculous, but recession = less money = harder to save for xmas = a longer buying time needed = this.

Offline Altria

«Reply #21: November 17, 2009, 11:24:15 AM»
I'm honestly tired of the commercialization and having the holidays shoved down my throat; there's no time to enjoy anything anymore, it's just rush rush rush, buy buy buy. Can't people just enjoy Halloween, or Thanksgiving before you start throwing Christmas at them? My aunt was recently diagnosed with cancer, and I can't even focus on spending Thanksgiving with her and being THANKFUL that she's alive, because I'm hearing a Christmas carol, seeing Christmas decorations all over the place whenever I go somewhere, or being screamed at to buy all these items for the holiday at the OMG EPIC SALES. I can't even afford gas for my car. do you really think I'm going to go out and blow money on this bullshit?

Don't get me wrong, Christmas is great, but our society has all but forgotten what its real meaning used to be. I'm not religious, but you don't have to be religious to appreciate a holiday for something other than commercialization and money.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:27:14 AM by Haruno Sakura »

Offline Narnia

«Reply #22: November 17, 2009, 11:53:47 AM»
My neighbor down the street who already has Christmas music blaring as part of his light display just a had a police complaint filed for violating the noise ordinance. Whoops.

Offline Altria

«Reply #23: November 17, 2009, 12:26:25 PM»
way to go, buddy. LOL.

Tala

• Topic Author
«Reply #24: November 22, 2009, 10:23:21 AM»
As of Thursday, we have our LIVE christmas trees >.>