supersaver

Author Topic: Creation vs. Evolution?  (Read 7493 times)

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
Creation vs. Evolution?
«: October 21, 2009, 09:26:59 PM»
I'm curious to see what people think about this. We just finished reading Inherit The Wind in class (It's terrible by the way, really biased). We've been doing a lot of debating in class.

So, what do you think? Are you more for Evolution (Darwin, or another theory), or are your beliefs more religious? Can you believe in both?

What about public schools? Should they teach only Evolution, or should they teach Creationism too?

Here's my view: I'm not sure if there is a god, and I don't think that I'll ever really know. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that view is similar to agnostic, right?) But I think that both theories can co-exist. If there is a god, who says that it couldn't create through evolution, to give us knowledge-hungry humans an answer to our origin?

As for schools, I go to a private school, so naturally we are taught both subjects in separate class rooms. I don't think that Creationism should be taught in public schools, however, because we're supposed to separate church and state for a reason.

Discuss. No bitch-fits or attacks, please.

Offline alice

Re: Creation vs. Evolution?
«Reply #1: October 21, 2009, 10:56:11 PM»
evolution.

as far as creationism goes, i like the idea, but it really makes no sense what-so-ever to me. idk religion just isnt my thing lol.

Offline Creek

«Reply #2: October 22, 2009, 05:34:55 AM»
In my real world? Evolution. Hands down.

In my fun fantasy world? We all were created from lumps of goo.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: October 22, 2009, 08:07:46 AM»
As a scientific person I find it hard believe that people even dispute the theory of evolution considering all the evidence to support that theory. Creationists do not generally have a valid argument and are biased due to their religious affiliation. In the world of science, that's not gonna cut it. Hard-core creationists even argue that we existed at the same time dinosaurs did. I mean I'm generally cool with what you want to believe, but there's a fine line between having an opinion and just being stupid. As for me I believe in both. Who's to say god didn't help the evolution process along? The problem I find with creationists is that they want to apply things exactly from the bible when many things in the bible tend to be abstract anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:14:31 PM by Electric Guitar »

Offline Narnia

«Reply #4: October 22, 2009, 08:14:18 AM»
The debate is never ending because people are to entrenched on either side.

I subscribe to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. http://www.venganza.org

Or for deeper thought on the topic, and to throw both evolutionists and creationists for a loop, God did not create earth he only separated heaven from earth, etc., etc... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6274502/God-is-not-the-Creator-claims-academic.html
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #5: October 22, 2009, 12:42:44 PM»
In my real world? Evolution. Hands down.

This.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #6: October 23, 2009, 09:26:34 AM»
The debate is never ending because people are to entrenched on either side.

I subscribe to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. http://www.venganza.org

Or for deeper thought on the topic, and to throw both evolutionists and creationists for a loop, God did not create earth he only separated heaven from earth, etc., etc... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6274502/God-is-not-the-Creator-claims-academic.html

Oh, I've been Pastafarian for quite a while.

Offline Fallon

«Reply #7: October 24, 2009, 09:44:43 AM»
Going to a Catholic School almost all my life really made me a more believer of Creationism however I think during my 8th grade year of school I realized how much more Evolution made more sense and now I would have to say I support the idea of Evolution.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: October 24, 2009, 11:51:12 AM»
Going to a Catholic School almost all my life really made me a more believer of Creationism however I think during my 8th grade year of school I realized how much more Evolution made more sense and now I would have to say I support the idea of Evolution.

Haha, I entered my first Catholic school in the 6th grade and in one year I was more religious. And then, I think it was the next year, the religion teacher tried to tell us that all people of other religions were going to hell, I started to rethink things.

Offline Creek

«Reply #9: October 24, 2009, 11:59:47 AM»
Haha, I entered my first Catholic school in the 6th grade and in one year I was more religious. And then, I think it was the next year, the religion teacher tried to tell us that all people of other religions were going to hell, I started to rethink things.

Well first, they'd have to believe in Hell to go to Hell...

I find that the most funny of things. Is people always tell me I'm gonna go to Hell, my remark to them is always " Yeah Yeah I know, I already have a Hotel business waiting. Why don't you come? It has a great scenic view of a damnation pit and a waterfall of flames! Top rate!" :3 I've also been kicked out of churches when I was younger[ like, I think 7 years old?], being called "Satan's daughter". I've made a game of it now. My friends that are Christian laugh at the stories I say. [ I got called Satan's daughter because I have this Crow that stalks me everywhere. Whenever I'm outside or in a car, it follows, and when I'm inside, it sits outside in a nearby tree. I think it's adorable :D]
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: October 24, 2009, 12:05:19 PM»
...Crow stalker? Sounds creepy to me xD

Offline Fallon

«Reply #11: October 24, 2009, 04:42:30 PM»
@ Wings

Actually your religion teacher could of got fired for that. It's illegal for a teacher (especially a religion) to enforce beliefs upon students. My religion teacher wasn't even Catholic because of this, my school thought it was better for our teacher to have no religion so they didn't do that.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #12: October 24, 2009, 09:06:10 PM»
Actually, they can, because I was going to a private middle school at the time. I'm at a private high school now, and it's no different.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #13: October 26, 2009, 10:46:40 AM»
In a Catholic school, it is part of their system to teach Catholic religion as it is. So for a teacher to teach that anyone not Catholic is going to hell is not illegal, because that is the Catholic belief.

Anyways, I support Mr. Darwin.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #14: October 26, 2009, 09:56:17 PM»
because that is the Catholic belief.

That I'm not so sure about. I've been told otherwise many times, but I think my parents are just trying to keep me from becoming agnostic...

Offline Anderson

«Reply #15: October 26, 2009, 10:53:40 PM»
I'll go for evolution. With all those fossils, and evidence, I can't believe in the whole 'Adam and Eve' thing anymore. I think I'll go and become a pastafarian. xD
In-game contacts: Jefferson, Guitar, Anderson.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #16: October 26, 2009, 10:55:18 PM»
Thats pretty much what I have been told, in the studies I grew up with. Catholicism is right, everything else is wrong, and if you want to go to heaven then you have to live life the Catholic way, since that is the way they believe god wants us to live. IE, if you are not following Catholic (or any other religion really following this same god concept) beliefs, then you have turned your back on god and won't be able to get into his kingdom. IE going to hell. Unless you ask Jesus for forgiveness, then you're in like sin.

Miranii

• Topic Author
«Reply #17: October 27, 2009, 08:21:49 PM»
The truth is, evolution has no solid evidence. Evolutionists argue that evolution isn't visible on earth because it takes such a prolonged amount of time. Such as apes to humans as an example. I fail to understand why there wouldn't be creatures alive today in the middle of evolving. There has always been a distinct difference between primates and humans, nothing ever visible in between.

Offline Sync

«Reply #18: October 27, 2009, 09:20:47 PM»
The truth is, evolution has no solid evidence. Evolutionists argue that evolution isn't visible on earth because it takes such a prolonged amount of time. Such as apes to humans as an example. I fail to understand why there wouldn't be creatures alive today in the middle of evolving. There has always been a distinct difference between primates and humans, nothing ever visible in between.
creatures are in the middle of evolving (for examples, scientists over the years the hammer head shark's head getting thinner), and will always be in the middle of evolving. the naming of the species of animals has probably thrown you off. this excludes the human because humans do not breed under natural selection.

and incorrect in your assumptions on that there's never been something in between a man and an ape. because it would take a bit to type out, this website includes all the 'in-betweens' from ape to man: http://www.onelife.com/evolve/manev.html .

i believe they mean "evidence" in the sense that there is circumstantial evidence supporting evolution as opposed to no evidence supporting creationism. people are free to believe in creationism, however, creationism is not a valid way of explaining how the species of earth came to be because it is entirely based on faith.

i was going to type more but i'm brain dead. and obviously i'm evolutioneer!

Electric Guitar

• Topic Author
«Reply #19: October 28, 2009, 12:09:41 AM»
Many people state, "Well golly, I find it hard to believe we evolved from apes." Wrong. We share a common ancestor. Nothing more. At some point our species branched out from the ape species.

As for no solid evidence, I don't believe that all. Just Google modern examples of evolution and you'll find a ton of stuff. Here is an examples I found:

"The best modern examples of this are in the world of the very small - bacteria.

In a matter of decades, many bacteria have mutated to become resistant to antibiotic drugs that were used uniformally to kill them for many years previously.

They can evolve so quickly because they double their numbers potentially every 20 minutes, and hence several generations are created in just a few hours."

The fossil record is also a gold mine for evidence to back up the theory of evolution.

Cup Ramen

• Topic Author
«Reply #20: October 28, 2009, 01:09:30 AM»
Here's another example, closely related to bacteria; prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. A quick flashback to year 1 Biology; a prokaryotic cell has no nucleus, and a eukaryotic cell does. Eukaryotic cells (which are found in plants, animals, fungi, etc.) evolved from prokaryotic cells (bacteria, archaea).

There has always been a distinct difference between primates and humans, nothing ever visible in between.

Yes, there are "in-between"s. In fact, there are technically "in-between"s for species are distant as humans and rats. Evolution, simply put, is the theory that all species evolved from one common ancestor. We probably didn't come from apes, but we do have the same ancestor. One example of evidence for this is that human DNA is about 98% similar to ape DNA.

Do some research. Perhaps read Darwin's "Origin of Species" (I hope to get my hands on a copy soon).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:15:26 AM by Wings »

Offline Demi

«Reply #21: October 28, 2009, 01:36:31 AM»
My animal behavior & biology teacher told us that Darwin was "A man of god"

I found that amusing.
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
Discord handle: Demi#5860
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Miranii

• Topic Author
«Reply #22: October 28, 2009, 09:20:02 AM»
I acknowledge small changes, such as the changes in bacteria. Also, creatures do change over time. I believe in adaption, not full scale evolution of one species to another.

Do some research. Perhaps read Darwin's "Origin of Species" (I hope to get my hands on a copy soon).

Yes! I've been researching evolution as well as other theories, along with religions of the world, just to be familiar with multiple points of view.

Offline Sync

«Reply #23: October 28, 2009, 01:30:29 PM»
adaption and change is evolution. those that survive change and adapt to it go on, while the animals that could not adapt die out. this is present in every species except humans. there is small change after small change after small change over a long period of time. when putting these changes next to each other, the beginning and end look significantly different.

if you look at a chart like so: http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/topic_images/hh_cladogram.gif
the changes are not very large next to each other, though looked at as a whole, the evolution over time has been quite significant. the hammerhead probably came from a fish that was indeed not a hammerhead.

apologies if i come off as rude, but i'm really failing to understand how you can believe in adaption and not see that creatures are adapting and changing as we speak, and a long time from now the creature may be entirely different that what it looks like today. unless you are trying to say you believe that god created all they adapt and change on their own.. or something!? i really have no idea.

Offline Ilsa

«Reply #24: October 28, 2009, 02:54:07 PM»
Logically, the theory that we evolved from other things, and that everything evolves, adapts, and changes over time.

A good example of evolution is to take a good look at dogs, at your modern dog.  Fido is a product of natural and not so natural selection and adaptation. A yappy Minpin and the huge Great Pyrenees share a common ancestor. Fifi, Lassie, and Old Yeller, too, share a common ancestor with Lobo the canis lupus. (That's right. It IS lupus.)

Cats, too, show this excelled evolution due to humans selecting which animals breed together. Humans have bred cats that are hypoallergenic, you can order one here, though they are discontinuing taking orders at the end of the year. Humans are breeding cats to look more and more like Tigers, others are bred to look like leopards (bengals) or servals (savannahs).

The only way I can see a diety being responsible for anything may be saying the diety created the universe which evolved on its own into stars an planets and bacteria and crap like that.