supersaver

Author Topic: Why does the addition of Pounce bother some people?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Jezz

Why does the addition of Pounce bother some people?
«: August 30, 2009, 01:39:00 AM»
I was reading through the Furcadia perceptions topic and caught this. How do people have issues with Pounce? It may have effectively shut down several proxies and made Postmaster unnecessary, but that's a good thing. I hated having to download proxies to use the most basic of tools that any socialization game should have - the ability to see when people are on and send them a message when they aren't.

Should DEP have limited Furcadia just to appease third parties, forcing the people to find proxies and keep them running to make use of basic commands?

Cup Ramen

Re: Why does the addition of Pounce bother some people?
«Reply #1: August 30, 2009, 01:44:42 AM»
I didn't really get the impression that anybody was truly bothered by it. Maybe I didn't read it thoroughly enough, but I really don't think it was much of an issue. The only reason I can find for someone not liking it is if that person has made a successful proxy or something.

Offline anathema

«Reply #2: August 30, 2009, 01:48:47 AM»
because pounce is shit and shoddily thrown together (to give you an idea, fox hacked up dp2 and threw pounce together in 2 weeks or less), and some people (ex., me) like the client integration of furnarchy rather than something else running when it doesn't need to be.

Offline Jezz

«Reply #3: August 30, 2009, 01:52:51 AM»
I didn't really get the impression that anybody was truly bothered by it. Maybe I didn't read it thoroughly enough, but I really don't think it was much of an issue. The only reason I can find for someone not liking it is if that person has made a successful proxy or something.

It was mostly this that caught my eye:

Quote from: Narnia
So Pounce was shoved into the Furcadia client with almost no thought behind it. It effectively killed the third-party proxy market (which was thriving) and upset a ton of older players.

Quote from: Morgan
like the client integration of furnarchy rather than something else running when it doesn't need to be.

Can't you still run Furnarchy, or did the creator discontinue it? And can't you close Pounce without any hassle beyond a simple Right Click -> Exit?

I have absolutely zero problems with Pounce, besides maybe it could have an option to disable it's reopening every time you open a Furc client, but that doesn't bother me too much. ^^;

Offline Jearu

«Reply #4: August 30, 2009, 02:22:24 AM»
I agree with Morgan.

I'm a big fan of Furnarchy and have been using it since nearly my start of Furcadia. I find it more user friendly than DP (and its annoying little brother, Pounce)... less obtrusive, too.

I don't like having things forced on me, especially shitty things. Pounce is a shitty thing.. a rushed and unneeded add on.

Furnarchy is still able to run and all the updates and what not are found at Entwined Studios.
Pounce can be disabled completely through the Furc settings, I did this as soon has it came out.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Jezz

«Reply #5: August 30, 2009, 02:37:28 AM»
I don't like having things forced on me, especially shitty things. Pounce is a shitty thing.. a rushed and unneeded add on.

But if it can be completely disabled via the settings, it's not exactly being forced on you. Rather, the opposite would be to force people to download proxies.

So what would you have advised for players like me to do, or players new to the game, who wanted an online list and the ability to whisper offline without having to go to a third party? One of the largest criticisms against Furcadia was that it was a socialization game that lacked necessary features for a socialization game to have.

It sounds like people who've grown accustomed to proxies over the years are simply bitter because Pounce poses a threat to their proxy of choice, when it was added with the simple intention of making things easy on new players. With no new users going to their proxy for basic tools, which I figure was the number one reason people downloaded them, they begin to slowly die off.

Offline anathema

«Reply #6: August 30, 2009, 03:15:21 AM»
i don't think my proxy of choice is just going to vaporize one day. if it does, then i guess i'm stuck using the piece of shit pounce. till then, viva la furnarchy.

Offline Demi

«Reply #7: August 30, 2009, 03:30:07 AM»
As rushed as Pounce may be. I'm not too bothered by it. I don't have to rely on a proxy to keep me in AFK FOREVER MODE.

Things I wish Pounce had that DP had:
Dream list
Auto-refreshing of ini files (recreate an alt, it replaces the ini not make a 2nd one)
Remove/delete ini for the lazy bastards who don't feel like going into the actual folder.

I'd also like to see more options for offline whispers. :\ Haven't really gotten that thing figured out.

DP had it's share of issues. Freezing, and when furc crashed DP had to be closed entirely. Why? A pop up saying something like "furc crashed blah blah blah!" with a checkbox next to "DON'T SHOW THIS MESSAGE AGAIN!" I checked it and it still popped up every 2 minutes.
Also having to restart my entire computer because DP updated.

I still have DP installed because I find it's alt creating much more easier than the one furc has.

Furnarchy was alright until it updated and I couldn't figure out wtf was going on or it just stopped working on my computer.

My final verdict: Pounce was necessary and a much needed addition but it should've actually been worked on more rather than being DP's retarded bastard child.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:32:26 AM by Demi »
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline Eevee

«Reply #8: August 30, 2009, 03:46:21 AM»
I like Pounce. It hasn't given me any idiotissues

Every proxy I've used with the exception of Furnarchy 3 (oh how I miss you Lita Port Whore...) I've had some kind of drastic/irritating issue.

Dogproxy always made my computer and laptop wheeze like they're about to explode. Even when I first got my laptop.

Furnarchy 2 worked fine for awhile but when it came time to update it, it just stopped working all together always giving me an error. I uninstalled and reinstalled but it still gave me the same error so I said fu2 F2

Mreow was the last proxy I was using before Pounce came out and it was great for awhile but then it decided to play "musical chairs" by disconnecting my alts one at a time. Once I relog one, another disconnects. I've also had the issue where after logging so many times I'd get spammed with a popup about some error where I have to ctr+alt+delete the mofo closed and restart it in order to log again without getting errors, which would then repeat again after relogging a certain number of times.

Also reconnecting after disconnects on any alt with these 3 proxies was a pain. Instead of relogging the alt that disconnected they'd all log the alt I mark as my "main alt".

Then again its always been my luck programs don't work for me the way they're supposed to work... *[email protected]*

Offline Sync

«Reply #9: August 30, 2009, 01:47:01 PM»
i didn't like it because they were spending their time integrating a proxy i already used instead of on something i would find a lot more useful.

Offline Ilsa

«Reply #10: August 30, 2009, 04:08:26 PM»
A friends list was direly needed.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #11: August 30, 2009, 04:26:10 PM»
A friends list was need.

Tossing Pounce into an update with no testing just so users weren't upset with another avatar only update... Not needed.

While there aren't really any problems with it now, it was how it was integrated that was the problem.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Black Rain

«Reply #12: August 31, 2009, 07:54:48 AM»
I actually like Pounce. It's not a bad thing.
But, I don't like how they plan on making the mult-whisper/group chat option for pay only.
To me, that just plain sucks. So, I very much like to use Furnarchy's Eggy.
It allows multi-Whisper without even putting a cent in. :)

Offline Hugo

«Reply #13: September 02, 2009, 12:26:30 AM»
Actually there are some things that fuck up on Furc when you don't use Pounce like the fact that if you don't use their whisper system it'll log you off no matter how you set your activity stuff.

I don't know if they ever fixed that but when I asked I was basically told to deal with it.

Offline Jearu

«Reply #14: September 02, 2009, 03:09:29 AM»
Actually there are some things that fuck up on Furc when you don't use Pounce like the fact that if you don't use their whisper system it'll log you off no matter how you set your activity stuff.

I don't know if they ever fixed that but when I asked I was basically told to deal with it.
News to me. I haven't ever had this problem.. even on characters I don't use Furnarchy on. I can idle for days on end and not get kicked off. Unless it's a server restart or I accidentally log myself off.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #15: September 02, 2009, 06:42:03 AM»
It's possible that they updated, but I never heard anything on that point so I just as well assume it's still as shitty a program as the day they put it out.

Black Rain

«Reply #16: September 02, 2009, 07:06:38 AM»
Same here.
I use Furnarchy a lot and without pounce on and I never get kicked off unless there's a server reset. :\

Offline LSD

«Reply #17: September 08, 2009, 04:36:01 PM»
incomplete, irksome crap. i miss my proxies. : [
alts in thread, quitting

Offline Britt

«Reply #18: September 08, 2009, 04:45:17 PM»
a lot of people prefer proxies and furnarchy.

you can still use furnarchy, apparently. i've considered switching over to use that instead of pounce, but the last time i downloaded furnarchy to my last two computers, they both died.

now, one of the computers is fixed. the other? can't log on without getting the bluescreen of death. so i'm hesitant to try it on this computer. EVEN WITH MY DEAR SPYWARE DOCTOR.

Offline Cougar

«Reply #19: September 09, 2009, 12:21:06 PM»
The idea of third party proxies is to add a feature or functionality that isn't presently offered by the client. Furnarchy originated the concept of a buddy list and whisper windows and pioneered the area for quite some time, doing the job far more effectively than the competitors that later decided to pick up on the idea.

I don't think of Pounce as a bad addition, per say. It's just a poorly done one, emulating the spirit but not the functionality of French Toast and Eggy. It's plagued by regular accidental buddy list wipes (though Furnarchy had the same trouble sometimes), the windows are huge and unsightly with unnecessary buttons, and it has trouble switching from one tab to another when whispering from the client with a whisper window already open (resulting in many players getting the wrong messages, repeatedly).

Furnarchy still works great and, despite being taken over by a significantly less skilled programmer (Cluracan was a God among furres), it continues to be regularly updated. The fact that Curses is now a stand-alone instead of being integrated into the client is the most irksome thing I have to say about Lothus' handling of the coding, and hopefully he can learn enough development skills to resolve this issue before Curses is forever doomed to be standalone. Either way, I won't be giving up Furnarchy. Ever.

Pounce can be refined - hopefully it will at some point cease to be its own window, instead existing as either a child window or integrated into the client itself. All in all, Dragon's Eye isn't especially known for adding anything really new to the client, and Pounce is a step away from their habit of avatars over functionality. I give it two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:27:06 PM by Jisatsu »
An Astonishing Armada of Awesome Alts, All Available for ASAP Acquisition!
No price listed in the main post? Hit me up with $5 and we've got a DEAL!

Offline Emilee

«Reply #20: September 09, 2009, 03:33:37 PM»
I downloaded the new version of Furnarchy, and it works fine for me.
I still currently use Pounce to handle my whispers and as a buddy list.
It doesn't bother me. I agree it could be way better, but. You know. Furcadia. Hurr :U
Anyway I use Furnarchy for Winampeeny these days mostly but I used to use a lot of the modules and things of that nature. I like it. :) Plus I love that you can minimize to the tray. I wish Furcadia implemented something like that.
Furcadia: Morticia
Second Life: Morticia Blackheart