supersaver

Author Topic: Tiananmen Square.  (Read 782 times)

Offline Ook

Tiananmen Square.
«: June 07, 2009, 10:08:49 AM»
Well, my original thread was started because I wanted to know people's opinions before I shared mine, but Oh Well. Here goes mine:

Rediculous.
The propaganda ("The army loves the people.") brainwashed most students/paticipants into thiking they'd be safe with their peaceful protest, that the army wouldn't shoot at them, and if they did, they would be rubber bullets.
The army did shoot, and the army did kill - "http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/4/newsid_2496000/2496277.stm"
However, the people should have got out of there, no matter how strong their point was, they were being shot at, and being killed. I'da gotten out of there pretty damn quick.

SO, dos anybody have any opinions on the Army's reaction to the protest, and the people's reaction back at them? What went wrong?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:00:12 PM by Turquoise »

Offline Zodiac

Re: Tiananmen Square.
«Reply #1: June 07, 2009, 12:09:53 PM»
I disagree that the people should have gotten out of there, because they were being shot at. That is the kind of oppression that people need to take a stand against. There is no point in holding a protest and a mass group of people standing up for what they believe in, if as soon as things look grim they are all going to run. Simple Fact, the army should never have been shooting at the people who were gathered there - innocent civilians. But, for a strong movement and people willing to stand for their cause, lives were lost. Lives are lost in every great motion for necessary change - people are a destructive species.

Anyways, I think that Tianamen Square is a good example of the kind of ambition and dedication that most people seem to lack these days. Take one heroic man like the tank man. ONE MAN. Alone. Stood in the path of a line of tanks, to stop them from proceeding. They tried to go around him, and he got in their way again. Bravery on that level is monumental, and your average person is almost incapeable of it. No one knows what ever happened to him, after two men carried him off.

What is even WORSE than the deaths of Tianamen Square, is the insane amount of coverup the Chinese Government has done with it. It is one of the three major banned searches on Google.cn - the chinese version of google. China controls everything that their people see on the internet, and is known to ban things at a whim. Wikipedia was briefly banned from Chinese internet, supposedly because of their hosting an article on Tianamen Square that was also offered in chinese. The government has been known to basically hunt down and wreck those caught making any kind of unauthorized publications of the event, and Tianamen Square itself is under high security in the time surrounding the anniversary. Most people in China won't even KNOW about it, if they weren't alive for it and don't have relatives to tell them about it. Its not even taught in Chinese history classes - they want it to be erased.

Offline Ook

«Reply #2: June 07, 2009, 03:59:48 PM»
What is even WORSE than the deaths of Tianamen Square, is the insane amount of coverup the Chinese Government has done with it. It is one of the three major banned searches on Google.cn - the chinese version of google. China controls everything that their people see on the internet, and is known to ban things at a whim. Wikipedia was briefly banned from Chinese internet, supposedly because of their hosting an article on Tianamen Square that was also offered in chinese. The government has been known to basically hunt down and wreck those caught making any kind of unauthorized publications of the event, and Tianamen Square itself is under high security in the time surrounding the anniversary. Most people in China won't even KNOW about it, if they weren't alive for it and don't have relatives to tell them about it. Its not even taught in Chinese history classes - they want it to be erased.
^ this, is most certainly the worst thing. one man actually had a line published in his local newspaper which read "remember june 4th" - he was arrested the following evening and subsequently put under house arrest. another stood silently in the square for an hour, and was also arrested. the opression of rememberance is startling.

Also, the tank man was a brave soul, I actually respect him for that. What I meant in my original post was, surely, when people realised the numbers that were dying, that they'd make some sort of retreat or attempt to protect themselves?

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #3: June 09, 2009, 04:15:11 PM»
You don't win a war by running away.

Electric Guitar

«Reply #4: June 09, 2009, 05:00:11 PM»
People really don't realize how lucky we are to be in America. My grandmother had a foriegn exchange student stay with her my junior year. She came from Vietnam, and she's explained to me the diferences between their communist country and ours. If she went back, (she's currently finishing her schooling in America staying with her aunt and uncle), she'd have her job chosen for her based upon what the government thinks is needed. I don't know about you guys, but I would be heartbroken if I was told I couldn't pursue the career I wanted. Many things are censored just like with the Chinese government and many Vietnamese are taught to dislike Americans. In America we can, (at least most of the time), protest without fear of harsh military punishment.

Offline Ilsa

«Reply #5: June 09, 2009, 06:39:46 PM»
Tank Man had a huge amount of testituclar fortitude.