supersaver

Author Topic: ridiculous school policies  (Read 11755 times)

Offline Julie

ridiculous school policies
«: June 04, 2009, 11:14:43 PM»
"this should be in general!!!"

no, it shouldn't. this is an in-depth conversation about school policies your school (or college) has, how ridiculous they may be, and what was caused due to them being created and enforced.

post your ridiculous school policies here & talk about others, if you've had this problem before, etcetc.

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

last year, our school came to the conclusion that because the students wore jeans that had holes in them above the knee, we were setting a horrible example of what our school stood for and something needed to be done. so, the rule basically stated:

"Jeans containing holes above the knee larger than a dime cannot be worn to school..... If jeans with holes above the knee are worn on school property, the student in subject will recieve 1 ISC* and must wear PE shorts above their jeans."

* ISC = In-school class. you essentially sit in the study hall room for an entire school day and work. can't sleep, can't put your head down, can't listen to music, you can only work on shit.

at first, nobody really cared. it was the style. it didn't look bad. but at the end of the year (2 or 3 months before the end, idr) the principal got really mad and wanted to BUCKLE DOWN!!! or whatever. in one day, over 100 students were given ISC's -and- detentions. at the end of that day, an announcement came over the loudspeakers saying that "students that were caught today and also have holes in your jeans tomorrow will recieve 1 week expulsion" and people who weren't caught that day but had holes in their jeans the next day recieved 3 ISC's.

everyone was freaking out. people were saying stuff like "I DONT HAVE ANY JEANS WITHOUT HOLES!!" or "Y DEY GOTTA B SO MEENZ". myspace bulletins were raging with "EVERYONE WEAR HOLEY JEANS TOMORROW. THEY CANT EXPELL US ALL"

i agree, it's a harsh punishment for something that's really not a big deal (even skirts show more skin than holey jeans do, and that was a big argument), but if you dont have ANY jeans without holes, that's kinda ridiculous right there. and i UNDERSTAND how our school board would think we're setting a bad example by wearing tattered clothing, but that's the style right now. you aren't gonna find many places that have jeans without holes in them.

i didn't hear about any punishments they handed out the next day, and not many people ACTUALLY wore holey jeans. most of the people spamming myspace bulletins about "WEAR HOLEY JEANS" didn't even wear them themselves. it all eventually ~~~faded quietly into the distance~~~, though i hope the school board is doing something about this.

the next, and last, on my list is this: purses

from what i'm hearing, this originated when a guy was given a detention for carrying a draw-string sport bag around with his books and shit. he began drawing up a petition for boys to be able to carry something for their stuff around in, and i'm assuming he got an impressive amount of signatures, because now our school board is voting on whether purses will be allowed at school, for boys and girls

the board is currently voting on what to do. one solution they've discussed is having a plain black, draw-string sport bag that boys and girls can all purchase from the school.

ok, i've had a huge problem with this. they're doing the idiot's maneuver. WELL LETS MAKE IT FAIR FOR EVERYONE THEY CAN ALL BUY SHIT FROM US. but... why can't guys just bring their own bags to school...? that would be more fair than "olol heres a bag that probably wont last you all year and also might not fit all the shit you need in it enjoy!!"

since there's not much else going around about it, and they haven't come to a conclusion yet, i can't say anything else except this: why dont they just give us uniforms? that would be easier, if they're going for the -easy- route

Offline anathema

Re: ridiculous school policies
«Reply #1: June 04, 2009, 11:18:30 PM»
is the no-backpacks thing widespread throughout high schools now? when i was in hs, our school was the only one in the district that didn't allow backpacks. (i got around this by using a messenger bag as a "purse" 8))

Offline Julie

«Reply #2: June 04, 2009, 11:41:32 PM»
is the no-backpacks thing widespread throughout high schools now? when i was in hs, our school was the only one in the district that didn't allow backpacks. (i got around this by using a messenger bag as a "purse" 8))

yeah, you can't carry backpacks, but a lot of people -do- use messenger bags. they're thinking about banning every purse and carrying case that isn't school-issued

i can understand the backpack thing, too. nobody needs a bag THAT bag. but messenger bags are helpful with your books, and aren't as big as a bookbag. i stopped using them though, they put too much strain on my shoulders

Offline anathema

«Reply #3: June 05, 2009, 02:26:23 AM»

yeah, you can't carry backpacks, but a lot of people -do- use messenger bags. they're thinking about banning every purse and carrying case that isn't school-issued

i can understand the backpack thing, too. nobody needs a bag THAT bag. but messenger bags are helpful with your books, and aren't as big as a bookbag. i stopped using them though, they put too much strain on my shoulders

man, my messenger bag was huge. but like, in my sr year, they started selling these cheapass tiny little clear backpacks that would tear after like. a week of use and they refused to refund or replace them. it was kind of ridiculous.

Offline Emilee

«Reply #4: June 05, 2009, 10:33:44 AM»
Our school had a problem with like, shorts shirts and those spaghetti strap tanktops. :V
Skirts have to now come to the end of your middle finger as you stand straight up and hold your arms against your sides.
Tanktops have to be three fingers wide. (Which I don't understand-- everyone has different sized fingers wtf)
Also, we're allowed to carry bags around the halls and things, but most teachers hate it ONLY because they take up space in classrooms.
We're also not allowed to have ANY FOOD OR DRINK outside of the cafeteria. Lmao. Even water. But get this: WE HAVE POP MACHINES IN THE HALLS LOOOLOLOL. :V Makes sense only not really.
Our school is pretty strict. The principal wanders the halls in search of people to bitch out <o< Kinda annoying.
One time he pretty much assaulted me over a can of hairspray that looked like an air horn, apparently. Lmao.
Furcadia: Morticia
Second Life: Morticia Blackheart

Offline Narnia

«Reply #5: June 05, 2009, 10:42:49 AM»
My high school has a no hoody policy because of the fact that items can be concealed under the hoody. Keep in mind my high school is 99% white and in a moderate income suburban community. That rule was rarly enforced.

The also had a rule that whatever color hair you came to school with on day one, you had to maintain throughout the whole year. You couldn't change it to differnet colors daily. We had issued with pinks, blues, and greens.

Travel 10 minutes north of my school to a different public school district and they have metal detectors at the doors.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Emilee

«Reply #6: June 05, 2009, 10:51:20 AM»
My high school has a no hoody policy because of the fact that items can be concealed under the hoody. Keep in mind my high school is 99% white and in a moderate income suburban community. That rule was rarly enforced.

Oshi this reminds me.
We're not allowed to wear hats or hoods over our heads inside the building.
I guess I can understand that, but. IDK. Just kinda annoying.

Offline alice

«Reply #7: June 05, 2009, 11:32:08 AM»
The also had a rule that whatever color hair you came to school with on day one, you had to maintain throughout the whole year. You couldn't change it to differnet colors daily. We had issued with pinks, blues, and greens.

my high school didnt care about your hair colour, but at the junior high- on the last day of school my 8th grade year, mind you- i came into school with pink tips (they were supposed to be red but they dye fucked up since my hair was too light) and they made me sit in the office the entire half day of school LOL.

Sookan

«Reply #8: June 05, 2009, 11:53:17 AM»
how do they not allow bags and shit? we didn't have lockers at all when i was in school so we would be pretty much fucked??

well my school was pretty reasonable. we had a no-hoodie policy for a while, but some people complained because azns were still allowed to wear their burkas(sp?) and headscarves and we have A LOT of azns.

the worst thing my school did was lock the toilets anytime when it wasn't break or dinnertime(a 10 minute and 45 minute slot, respectively).
WORSE THAN THAT was the fact that they would forget to open them altogether some days, when the bitch in charge was off ill, which lead to the toilets not being open at all, all day, up to twice a week.

they did let people out in lesson to use the disabled toilet... if you told them you were gonna throw up. sometimes.

they did this to "stop vandalism", but it probably cost them more cleaning up peoples piss, shit and vomit than scrubbing off some spray paint or replacing a toilet door. oh and don't forget blood. i had my thumbnail ripped off by a door and had to go up to the office for a tissue and to use their sink to wash off all the blood on my hands.

they also made people go up to the canteen to eat in order of year. year 7's(first years) went last, for some reason, which 4/5 days lead to me not getting any lunch at all because it was too late. they stopped that the year after though, and let us go to the shops.

despite having to look over my shoulder and duck flying bottles of water for those 5 years, school was alright though.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #9: June 05, 2009, 01:05:36 PM»
The banning of pajama pants!

Guess what everyone did? We all wore pajama pants. What were they going to do, stuff the entire 06 senior class into a detention room? No idea if it's still in effect today.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #10: June 05, 2009, 01:10:06 PM»
A school in NE Ohio banned flip-flops not to long ago. About half the high school showed up in flip-flops to challange the rule and they were all suspended.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Hugo

«Reply #11: June 05, 2009, 01:25:00 PM»
NE Ohio is stupid.

Offline Sheikah

«Reply #12: June 05, 2009, 03:57:24 PM»
my old  highschool banned all forms of hats and hooded sweatshirts.  So people were pretty pissed off in the winter time and when things got a little violent they eventually changed the rule.  At the same school you also couldnt form groups of 6 people or more on school grounds, to prevent an on-campus rumble. ~_~

my last and final highschool didnt allow backpacks but they gave us 10000000 pages of work so we all kinda got fucked....but we had a snapple juice machine at least.  you also werent allowed to stay in the bathroom more than 10 minutes.  Yes, they TIMED you.

They were all stupid and ridiculous rules and i'm glad to be free of them.

Offline anathema

«Reply #13: June 06, 2009, 08:42:55 AM»
oh, we had the spaghetti strap/tank top thing, only it didn't matter about the 3-finger rule at all. they just weren't allowed. personally, i would've flipped my shit if they started disallowing hoodies because i dont leave the house without mine lolll (my tech school prof didn't allow us to wear hoodies outside of winter but she actually kept it nice in her classroom so that was alright. this was florida so it didn't ever really get too cold.)

Offline Emilee

«Reply #14: June 06, 2009, 01:23:34 PM»
A school in NE Ohio banned flip-flops not to long ago. About half the high school showed up in flip-flops to challange the rule and they were all suspended.

OSHI WE HAVE THIS RULE LOL
Only no one ever abides by it, and they got lazy and stopped enforcing it. XDDD!!!
I wear flipflops every day, all year round. Snow n all. I'd be pissed if they actually took action.
My school doesn't really like pajama pants either, but they let it slide every single time. Again, I'd be pissed if they didn't since I wear pajamas at least 2 days out of five. xD

Offline Ook

«Reply #15: June 07, 2009, 10:00:36 AM»
my secondary school used to make us wear ties all year rond, top button done up on shirts an' all, but they changed it to just winter/autumn/spring now, summer term is all "NO TIES 8D"
that school also used to make the sixth formers wear uniform (not a usual thing around here) and any colour that wasn't their natural colour in someone's hair would get you suspended for a week. what the hell.

so i moved to the school accross the river for sixth form, where there are pretty much no clothing rules. my boyfriend did get taken to the health and safety inspector (by the head of year) for havin baggy trousers with chains on them. the health and safety inspector laughed at our head of year and declared his trousers "safe!" - so our head of year gets no say in what we wear, seeing as he's an idiot. :3

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #16: June 07, 2009, 12:45:42 PM»
The major "F-ed" up rule in my highschool was "Band-Related" T-shirts.

We were not allowed to wear any sort of clothing, mainly t-shirts, that had anything to do with any musical group. And I do mean "ANY" musical band/group/ect. If we got caught wearing one, they'd make us turn the shirt inside-out and wear it around school like that for the rest of the day, not including getting wrote up for it. If you got wrote up for it three times, you got a full day of ISS. (In-School-Suspension, which is what we called it.) And basically if you continued getting caught for it, it lead to harsher punishments, but I dont think anyone actually took it that far.

Another thing we were not allowed to wear. Sandles/Flipflops/ect. If any sort of 'shoe' showed too much of your foot, they'd actually make you go home, get another pair of shoes, and come back. They'd actually call parents to come get their kids (the ones who didnt drive yet). If they didnt come, the kid got to sit in ISS for the rest of the day. And if the kid actually did go home, and didnt come back, he or she got wrote up as absent for the entire day.

We were allowed Backpacks in highschool, but we werent allowed them in my Middle School. Which just makes me wonder really whats the point. And of course we had the rule about your shorts going up too high. Alot of girls got sent home for that.

Im sure I can think some others later, heh.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Demi

«Reply #17: June 07, 2009, 01:38:36 PM»
:\ My school seems way laid back compared to what I've read. I have similar dress-code things at my school where straps must be the width of 2 of your fingers, the no-one wants to fucking see your boxers pull up your damn pants rule and generally don't come to school dressed like a whore, and your shirt can have anything on it as long as it doesn't offend anyone. And noone gives 2 shits what your hair color is and hoodies are allowed but you can't have your hood up inside. Infact I wish they'd ban heels.

Hats were allowed and then they b& them inside except on hat-day
we're allowed to take our backpacks to school. We previously weren't allowed anything but purses, drawstring bags that broke by the year's end or messenger bags due to SAFETY CONCERNS! Guess they realized what's the point anyone can bring some contraband item or weapon even without a backpack

This new policy my school is implementing pisses me off despite (hopefully) graduating soon. CLOSED-CAMPUS. My school is LITERALLY across from a hospital, and like 15 food places. You can throw rocks from my campus and hit them. Juniors and seniors are allowed off-campus during lunch and senior opens. With this new policy which was PROTESTED and PETITIONED against but we were basically told "TOO BAD STFU :D" you can't go off campus. Not only is it going to KILL the businesses that rely heavily on hungry teenagers as their major line of customers but I'm wondering how the hell they're going to provide enough cafeteria food or SPACE for that matter? I heard they're adding booths and buffet style seatings but really now....
Also anyone who participated in the closed-campus protest got detention. Infact they called EVERYONE who was missing from any classes on that day to their Assistant Principal, myself included and I was at a doctor's appointment that day.

Even alot of the TEACHERS and faculty are opposed to the closed campus policy but the administration has their heads so far up their tightasses they refuse to even compromise with anyone. Some teachers including my sculpture teacher said they wouldn't punish any student who walked out of their class for the protest.

Pretty much highschool policies rarely pissed me off but in middle school I got yelled at by a short, old hall moniter for walking in with a dunkin donuts cup... DECAF mind you and was told "You're not allowed to have that!"

Did anyone else's elementary or school for that matter throw shitfits over Pokemon?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:48:29 PM by Demi »
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline Creek

«Reply #18: June 07, 2009, 01:43:47 PM»
LOL yeah, Mine had a problem with pokemon. They were seen as a 'convincing children to act violently towards animals'. I laughed when I seen that in the 7th grade school book of conduct. They had all anime clothing, cards, figures, plushies, ect banned from the school. Even the talk about it could get you suspended.  Lets just say I was suspended alot because of my mouth :3. Then they decided it wasnt that big of a threat the next year and cancelled the ban.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Julie

«Reply #19: June 07, 2009, 04:14:48 PM»

man, my messenger bag was huge. but like, in my sr year, they started selling these cheapass tiny little clear backpacks that would tear after like. a week of use and they refused to refund or replace them. it was kind of ridiculous.

clear? what if a girl has tampons or shit in there?

that would just be embarassing.

Offline Julie

«Reply #20: June 07, 2009, 04:29:01 PM»
my school also has the spaghetti strap ban and the skirt thing. boys who wear 'trip pants' can't have chains on them. we also can't wear black-on-black.. apparently that means we're ~~~gothic~~~ and our school doesnt like goth kids!!!

people weren't allowed to dye their hair until they got to high school.

our school banned pokemon cards, too, but for a different reason: a kid stabbed another kid in the eye with a pencil because he wanted his pokemon card. on the bus.

my dad was working as an EMT at the time and he was on that call. he then refused to buy me any more pokemon cards.

Offline anathema

«Reply #21: June 07, 2009, 05:55:21 PM»

you're pretty silly if you get embarrassed over having extra tampons or pads, man.

Sookan

«Reply #22: June 07, 2009, 07:01:02 PM»

i bet the girl asking me if i had any spare pads or tampons while blood was dripping down her leg felt pretty embarrassed!

man kids were gross in my school.

Offline Julie

«Reply #23: June 08, 2009, 01:46:08 AM»

you're pretty silly if you get embarrassed over having extra tampons or pads, man.

i don't get embarassed that i have the extras in my purse, i just dont want the whole school seeing the giveaway sign that i'm on my period.

i'm a pretty shy person. don't want my personals hanging out for the world to see

i'd use a cigarette container but then teachers would just be like "Y U HAV CIGS" or something

Offline Julie

«Reply #24: June 08, 2009, 01:47:25 AM»

i bet the girl asking me if i had any spare pads or tampons while blood was dripping down her leg felt pretty embarrassed!

man kids were gross in my school.

at least they didnt write letters to their exes going into detail about the sex they wanted to have with them

and then act oblivious as it spread around school

i tell you what that was probably the funniest month of highschool

supersaver