supersaver

Author Topic: Something about Alt Trading/Digo trading that irks you..?  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Atheist

As the title states, I'm curious about what other alt traders/used digo buyers feel about alt trading/buying used digos in comparison to other alt traders, etc. For example; so-in-so likes to share alts while the other so-in-so feels that sharing is inappropriate and something that people shouldn't do.

I am, of course, looking for adult responses here so please no pin-pointing names of people that irk you or an experience that you've had with so-in-so that pissed you off that one time.

I'll start off by saying what irks me. Aside from the fact that I do not trade alts whatsoever (I've probably done so maybe twice ever), rather I buy the ones I'm interested in, I've come to the conclusion that I do not appreciate people insisting that others fork out extra money to cover Paypal fees.

Most of the times I don't deal with those who do, but I've had a few instances when buying digos that the previous owner insists I cover extra for Paypal charges.

Yeah, you could say that really irks me. But what're you gunna do, right? :3

Please keep it mature, kiddies!

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Demi

Re: Something about Alt Trading/Digo trading that irks you..?
«Reply #1: May 26, 2009, 07:37:58 PM»
- Retards.

-People who ask if you want something you CLEARLY state you will not accept (like alts.. most of the time shitty ones)

-People who ask what you want and when you tell them THEY DON'T RESPOND! They're still ACTIVE on the site but the least they could do is say "Sorry can't..." or "how bout X?" It's just rude

-People who offer on an alt OR DIGO and never keep in touch.

-People who post a sob story about how much a name means to them. Like it's going to make a difference whether I get it or not. (It doesn't FYI)

-PEOPLE WHO ONLY WANT A NAME CAUSE IT'S PORTED!  Goddamn.

-Anyone selling an alt with -chan (etc) in the name

-People who ignore things CLEARLY stated in GIGANTIC FONTS AND NOTICABLE COLORS

-Getting asked if I'll trade/sell an alt marked NFT/DNB EVER. Unless you're a friend but then I'll be more inclined to share. >_>
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:39:43 PM by Demi »
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline Jenni

«Reply #2: May 26, 2009, 07:40:12 PM»
-People who ask if you want something you CLEARLY state you will not accept (like alts.. most of the time shitty ones)

x900 omfg. SO ANNOYING.

Offline anathema

«Reply #3: May 26, 2009, 07:48:15 PM»
the whole ported alt craze that's been going on as of late.

Offline Atheist

«Reply #4: May 26, 2009, 07:48:56 PM»

-People who ask what you want and when you tell them THEY DON'T RESPOND! They're still ACTIVE on the site but the least they could do is say "Sorry can't..." or "how bout X?" It's just rude

-PEOPLE WHO ONLY WANT A NAME CAUSE IT'S PORTED!  Goddamn.

-People who ignore things CLEARLY stated in GIGANTIC FONTS AND NOTICABLE COLORS

-Getting asked if I'll trade/sell an alt marked NFT/DNB EVER. Unless you're a friend but then I'll be more inclined to share. >_>

Agreed on that one. I also remembered one though... People you PM about an active alt that is for trade and they don't have a board or they do have one but everything on it is so entirely vague that you pretty much -have- to PM them about it and then you check and see that they've read the sent message, but they never reply. Irk, irk, irk..

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Akyl

«Reply #5: May 26, 2009, 08:01:35 PM»
I hate it when you're just about to set up a trade and the other person backs out because it's their cousin's birthday or something.

I also hate it when people expect something worth a lot more than what they are offering. Goddamn it.

Offline Atheist

«Reply #6: May 26, 2009, 08:04:30 PM»
I hate it when you're just about to set up a trade and the other person backs out because it's their cousin's birthday or something.

I also hate it when people expect something worth a lot more than what they are offering. Goddamn it.

My sense of value is already askew in the eyes of some as it is, so I can never really tell what alt is worth what, but I do know that some alts are worth a ton to some for some sentimental reason while others wouldn't pay so much as a copper dragon scale for it. So yeah, I can see how that's irksome. :3

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Sheikah

«Reply #7: May 26, 2009, 08:14:06 PM»
Sentimental value; iiiiiiiirk to the max.  I can't recall how many times I've wanted a simple name that nobody else has shown interest in, and have encountered an outrageously high price tag due to "sentimental value".  Absolute bull imo and the only reason i'd ever pay extra for a "loved alt" is if I or a friend REALLY wanted the name and I thought it was worth it.  :C

Offline MAU

«Reply #8: May 26, 2009, 08:43:40 PM»
on occasion? "anonymous bidders".

i've had a few sellers gouge the price of alts i've wanted just to see if i'd go for it. so it wasn't necessarily done out of spite, just a poor way to take advantage of someone that results in headaches, haggling ad nauseum and eventually me just saying "fuck it".

there's always the mysterious third party that's offering a down payment on a house conveniently on an alt i'd like.

alternatively, i've had many good experiences when dealing with anonymous bidders, so i'm in no way condemning it the practice as a whole.

i'm guilty of making people pay for paypal fees under certain circumstances, but sometimes when you're in desperate need for a certain amount of money it makes all the difference to have the percentage paypal takes away reimbursed.

Offline Zim

«Reply #9: May 26, 2009, 08:54:06 PM»
- People who are more interested in ports / alt designs than the name itself. If you like the name enough, take the name and not ask for my brainchild which I probably won't give with it anyway. Get creative and stop asking me to show you the damned art.
  - This also goes for people who say "it must have x kind of port," when you can just as easily save a few bux and buy a port yourself that fits WHAT YOU WANT with a name you actually like than a sub-par name with a gorgeous port.

- People who refuse to read what you're accepting and not.

- People who say they're gonna pay something and then come back and go "sorry I spent it on something else can you wait more" or "I don't have it yet." No no no no no. Do not offer what you do not have!

- People who offer on alts clearly marked as contact alts. Really, guys? Seriously?

- When someone offers lifers and gives you the date when they're transferable, but when that date rolls around they either forgot, gave the lifer away, sold it or changed their mind. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Atheist

«Reply #10: May 26, 2009, 11:07:51 PM»

Anonymous bidders. Yeah, that one irks me too, but then I've heard their defense. So-in-so who has 100+ really good alts places a bid on something and everyone knows who it is, and it just raises all kinds of hell. Not to mention there's too many bitter people out there who like to attack others for bidding on alts as it is. Sometimes its just unpleasant for some.

- When someone offers lifers and gives you the date when they're transferable, but when that date rolls around they either forgot, gave the lifer away, sold it or changed their mind. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

This happens more and more. And recently there was even a case where someone paid a lifer for artwork, didn't get the artwork and now mysteriously the lifer has disappeared. I've had my fill of lifer exchanges honestly, what with half the time them not working out.

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Jearu

«Reply #11: May 27, 2009, 12:32:23 AM»
Everything that has been said so far.

People trying to take advantage of your friendship by trying to get an alt/digo at a lower than deserved amount. Random Example: Angel, $200. But so-and-so tries to guilt you with friendship for you to sell it for $120. --Sure, if you're a friend I'm more likely to sell it to you at a lower price, but not at an unreasonable one.

When people expect you to pay to have art removed from an alt before you buy it. If I'm not getting the art with the alt, why should I be the one to pay to have it removed.

The ported alt craze. urgh, just URGH.

Anonymous bidders. Yeah, that one irks me too, but then I've heard their defense. So-in-so who has 100+ really good alts places a bid on something and everyone knows who it is, and it just raises all kinds of hell. Not to mention there's too many bitter people out there who like to attack others for bidding on alts as it is. Sometimes its just unpleasant for some.
Yea, people can be bitter. It's the reason I dislike bidding on something un-anonymously.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:35:10 AM by Jearu »
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Light

«Reply #12: May 27, 2009, 04:18:45 AM»
When people don't pay Paypal charges, so instead of getting $5 you get like $4 or 4.30 or something. Annoys the fuck out of me.

Also, I bid on all of my alts anonymously, because of a few people out there (mainly, one) who would instantly go after alts I want, just to spite me and my girlfriend.

Also, I hate it when people say 'I'm going to treat this alt well and use it a lot and give it digos,' but then all they do is idle on it for days at a time, and rarely look at the window. Sorry, but idling an alt for 4 days straight and looking at the window once is NOT using an alt.

Going with that, SHARING. I love to share, don't get me wrong, but when the person I'm sharing with idles on my alts for days at a time and doesn't let anyone else get on it (because they 'hate the communications error' shit).. Rrrg. It makes me rage so hard. It's not YOUR alt, it's someone else's, don't idle on it for weeks straight. Especially if you aren't the only one using it. Annoys me enough to almost take share away, even though that sounds drastic, but obviously if you can't respect the fact it's not your alt and the keyword is 'share' you shouldn't be on it at all. It's especially annoying when I tell them not to do that, but they do anyway. /end rant of annoyance

I agree with a lot of what's said above.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:32:19 AM by Light »
Do not contact me on any other alt, even if you see them logged. They will be ignored.

Offline Creek

«Reply #13: May 27, 2009, 05:37:19 AM»
Most of the things up there, I am also annoyed with.

My most favorite annoyance by alt trading.

The people that scream " YOU CANT ERASE THE DESIGN, AND YOU CAN'T MAKE A NEW ONE, NO YOU CAN'T TRANSFER IT, OR IF YOU DONT WANT IT, GIVE IT BACK TO ME"

If you don't want to give up on a damn design, take it off an alt you're selling and sell the name naked. And I'd be tempted to make a new one just to piss the person off, because I don't feel like having shackels on omg, what is now MY ALT. And I'll offer it back to the person of course, but not for free.

Another thing is....Feral Alts....and then when I see alts I sell [that were anthro] turn Feral. I don't know, Feral alts bug the fuck out of me. But I guess to each their own.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Narnia

«Reply #14: May 27, 2009, 06:38:31 AM»
When people don't pay Paypal charges, so instead of getting $5 you get like $4 or 4.30 or something. Annoys the fuck out of me.

It's actually against Paypal TOS to surcharge someone for Paypal's fees unless you surcharge someone for every type of payment you accept.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

So it irks me when someone expects a buyer to pay the paypal fees. You choose to accept paypal, suck it up.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Sookan

«Reply #15: May 27, 2009, 07:35:05 AM»
Do not offer what you do not have!
yeah, this.

again, this.

i don't like buying ported/designed alts, either, if they're by no-name artists.

someone once PMed me an offer - at least i assume that's what they were doing - but it sounded more like, "i want ____. ____ isnt ported, so it's only worth $5 IMHO. if that's not enough, ill do you a port or something. whisper me in game"

alt wasn't even for sale at the time, and i sold it for closer to $100 the next month...

Lovedoll

«Reply #16: May 27, 2009, 12:22:26 PM»
People who charge five bucks extra to cover 'fees' when said fees are usually only fifty cents to a dollar. I don't mind paying a little extra for those fees, but some people just try to plainly rip you off.

People who bug you relentlessly with offers that you don't want. Aka "I have naked alts x ad y and z" and if you decline they keep offering shitty names after shitty names no matter how often you say no.

Cerena

«Reply #17: May 27, 2009, 02:47:27 PM»
When someone accepts your offer for an alt, then vanishes for a few months on end ... Only to return and sell to someone else. Some people really need to keep track. xP

Also, when people read PMs and don't respond.

Black Rain

«Reply #18: May 27, 2009, 03:56:07 PM»

I agree with this. But for me, it's offering a digo you don't want instead of what you do want.

- People who refuse to read what you're accepting and not.

I also agree on this. A Prime example is my first answer above to the first quote.

OR IF YOU DONT WANT IT, GIVE IT BACK TO ME"

Something though, not has happened to me yet, I agree on. I don't like people asking for alts back if I don't want them. If I buy the alt, I have every right to do whatever I want with it. So technically, they have no right to tell me that I should give the alt back.

Offline Sync

«Reply #19: May 27, 2009, 04:12:55 PM»
i hate hate hate it when people get whiny and go DONT RESELL MY ALT EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! same with art but that's another debate. if it don't want it resold don't sell it.

and i hate it when people offer then don't pay you for like two months or something.

oh and i hate time zones. godddd

Offline Atheist

«Reply #20: May 27, 2009, 04:41:35 PM»
People trying to take advantage of your friendship by trying to get an alt/digo at a lower than deserved amount. Random Example: Angel, $200. But so-and-so tries to guilt you with friendship for you to sell it for $120. --Sure, if you're a friend I'm more likely to sell it to you at a lower price, but not at an unreasonable one.

When people expect you to pay to have art removed from an alt before you buy it. If I'm not getting the art with the alt, why should I be the one to pay to have it removed.

I completely agree with you on both! Particularly the friendship schpeal. Its one thing to charge less for an alt, but so much less that you don't really gain anything from what you actually spent is ridiculous. It really, really bothers me when friends also expect you to just hand over your alt--free of charge as if it doesn't belong anywhere else but in their hands. Friends or not, if I ever quit Furcadia, these bad boys are goin' up for auction. I love all my friends to pieces, but if I quit, I'm obviously in need of money.

It's actually against Paypal TOS to surcharge someone for Paypal's fees unless you surcharge someone for every type of payment you accept.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

So it irks me when someone expects a buyer to pay the paypal fees. You choose to accept paypal, suck it up.

Thank you Narnia and I fully agree. I've never done it to anyone else and I shouldn't expect it done to anyone else either. It's bad business practice for a constant trader or for anyone for that matter.

People who charge five bucks extra to cover 'fees' when said fees are usually only fifty cents to a dollar. I don't mind paying a little extra for those fees, but some people just try to plainly rip you off.

Once again, agreed.

Also, when people read PMs and don't respond.

That peeves me off a bit too. ^^;

i hate hate hate it when people get whiny and go DONT RESELL MY ALT EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! same with art but that's another debate. if it don't want it resold don't sell it.

oh and i hate time zones. godddd

Holy smokes, time zones! I never thought of that one, but yeah, now that you mention it, it is a big pain in the rump. >:/ And the whole don't resell my alt number--I respect it to some degree, but in other instances it's your alt, ultimately its yours to do whatever with, but I also dislike seeing people trade alts around like candy.

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Ilsa

«Reply #21: May 28, 2009, 02:44:48 PM»
Things that irk me about the whole darn thing?

People who're trying to sell crappy names. I look at people's lists and just feel the pain, and folks keep posting that they're trying to sell these ultrabad names that no one in their right mind would pay money for, pushing people with alts that are actually interesting off the selling board. It's so hard to find diamonds in the rough in the sea of crap.

I dislike when people say they want to sell an alt but they don't know what they want. When I rattle off a list of things I have, and that I would be willing to trade one of them of the seller's choice, the seller demands all of them. (I'm sorry, your ok name with the crappy generic wolf portrait isn't worth a life tygard, life flox, life catten, life classics, six portrait spaces, and who knows what else.)

Good names with piss poor designs and designs that don't make any sense with the name, especially when the name has huge design potential. It's like, if someone made the alt window or Toyota and made it into a neon pink feral wolf snarling viciously at the viewer to prove how badass it is.

Offline Jearu

«Reply #22: May 29, 2009, 02:49:53 AM»
Again, I agree with everything that's been said. The more people post the more I go "OMG, that is so true, I HATE THAT"

Not sure if this applies to the topic BUT --

When people pass alts around like two-dollar whores and change their contact alt and username here on the forums to that new name. For fucks sake, pick a name and just stick to it. ..I have no problem with this if you state somewhere that you were formally So-and-So.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Hollen

«Reply #23: May 29, 2009, 04:18:49 AM»
-People who offer 5 gd, a port space or something ridiculous for an alt like Angel, Dark, Light w/e. I know it's pixel's but holy shit 1- don't offer ridiculous things and 2- don't try to buy dnb's.

-Alternatively I hate when people change mains/contacts/fam names every week. As if trading doesn't get convoluted enough let's throw in the fact that you hop for one name to another every other week

-A previous owner of an alt who feel's remorse over selling it or lost it coming to you after the alt has been passed around a good deal and guilting you like it's your fault. I have this happen a lot and I get that 'it was your first alt, so and so stole it, it was your dead dogs name' but you shouldn't have traded it, shared it or let it expire in the first place and I have nothing to do with it. Sometimes I'll be nice and give the alt to them if I never use it and it has no value to me but when you want one of my mains and are expecting me to fork it over for free or for a space because you feel entitled to it just ugh.

-The constant moving of designs, it's totally fine for a design to get moved around once maybe even twice over the years it happens. But when you start moving it around like a trading card it must be frustrating for anyone who did art of it, anyone who once owned it and the person who created it to see it pop up on a different name every few months.

-People who buy a port from a popular artist, port a decently named alt and then try to sell it for a lot the next day proving that it was never an intended character but a way to make profit. Yes this is an alt 'market' but it shows a lack of respect for the thought artists put into their work, again it must be very frustrating to see.

-People who ask for trade backs and rage when they don't get them.

-And the big one people who actually hold grudges over furcadia and go out of their way to be snarky over alt's. Go..  watch a movie, get a hobby other then furc, if you've become that involved something is wrong. You stopped enjoying the game and turned it into a stressful job.

Black Rain

«Reply #24: May 29, 2009, 05:33:16 PM»
Another thing I hate is how people want redicilous prices for nice names. Such as a name of a popular character or thing in a movie/comic/cartoon/real person. Not everyone is made of money. But, some people think that.
I know people "value" things because of popularity and thus, think they can raise the price.

supersaver