supersaver

Author Topic: [GEN] Posting logs.  (Read 890 times)

Joel

• Topic Author
[GEN] Posting logs.
«: April 18, 2009, 07:16:24 PM»
Could fit [furc], or [fam], but i'll put [gen] instead.

--

Just a question I was apparently proven incorrect on. Is it against the rules of furcadia to publicly display whisper logs on FAM?

Offline Zodiac

[GEN] Posting logs.
«Reply #1: April 18, 2009, 09:24:28 PM»
http://altmarket.net/viewtopic.php?t=3399

Quote from: "Kiwi"
1.     Dragon's Eye Production's Terms of Service does not allow the posting or linking to any private whisper logs, or logs of conversations occurring in private, without the other parties permission. Doing so is at your own risk.*

*While we are soley a fan site and in no way affiliated with Dragon's Eye Production, we do feel it is important to provide you with information so you can make informed decisions. Information is the key to knowledge. And knowledge sometimes requires proof. However, during the operation of this site Cironir has provided us with information regarding the posting and or linking to private whisper logs. However, FAM does not support or condone the use of whisper logs as a form of proof for scamming or entertainment for Freudian slips.

Quote from: "Cironir"
Also, posting whisper logs on public forums is against our rules. If you'd like me to continue posting here or considering anything that is posted here when looking into theft or scamming cases, you will need to stop posting whisper logs. I'm not telling you what to do, however. These aren't official forums after all and we aren't "going after you" unless someone complains, but you can probably see where it would leave me if I kept posting or coming here if the whisper log posting is kept up. You may feel that I am being "petty", but please look at this from my perspective and what signal it would send.

Quote from: "Cironir"
The exact wording is: "You may also not post private whisper conversations without permission or link to such logs." (see #16 here). This chiefly refers to whisper logs, though it also includes "private" conversations between two people, i.e. in a dream. Felorin clarified on the official forums that the rule applies to "public" posting, so sending a whisper log to the Guardians or a friend would not be covered by this (or any) rule. It's actually a tricky and controversial rule. It was made to protect furre from slander and harassment, and to keep things a little bit more "civil". though perhaps it is something we might need to revisit in the future. (But for now it stands.)

I understand that logs are relevant to the topics discussed here, but as I said, it really puts me into a rather rough spot. When I showed Felorin the thread where I posted about my portrait artwork policy (I need to get stuff like this approved), he commented on the "Importance of logs" thread that was still up at the time, along the lines of "Hey, they ask people to break our rules!". Felorin's much more liberal than I am and he doesn't get involved in matters of this kind, but it pretty much confirmed that my feeling uneasy wasn't just a result of my "uptightness".  

I do feel a bit bad about pointing this out, because like I said: these are your forums, and we have no authority over them. I don't want to "throw around" my "weight", either. From a purely community management point of view, it might actually have been wiser not to post here and remain passive, because this really is *your* realm, not ours. On the flipside, I really can't actively support anything that in essence breaks our rules, because that would jeopardize the integrity of our guidelines. So, it's a pretty shitty situation for me where my personal views clash with my professional ethics (and what I feel is important for development of the Furcadian community).

I value the information here. I can't base any definite actions on anything solely posted here, but many threads have supplemented cases we were working on. (Most everything that is posted here is never reported to the Guardians, oddly enough.)

Joel

• Topic Author
[GEN] Posting logs.
«Reply #2: April 18, 2009, 10:30:56 PM»
That's what I thought. ;}