Poll

Should this law be passed?

Yes
5 (29.4%)
No
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 11, 2009, 08:30:34 PM

Author Topic: Our pets in Peril  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Creek

Our pets in Peril
«: April 11, 2009, 08:30:34 PM»
Ok, so today I was giving a disturbing video. Now, its not like the PETA videos, but its about the new law that might be passed on April 23rd. What the law is about is the banning of imported animals. Now, the full of the law is not just to stop importation, but it will also stop the breeding of animals inside the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPfL212CB8

This law effects:
Reptiles
Fish
Birds
and Small Mammals[ Hamsters, Guiena Pigs, Ferrets, ect.]

We can help by sending in letters to our represenatives, calling them, or sending hand written letters to your represenative.

http://Nohr669.com/
Is the way to the page of contacting your represenatives. Sending this to everyone will hopefully tell the Government to not dare touch our animals.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Sync

Re: Our pets in Peril
«Reply #1: April 11, 2009, 08:38:44 PM»
Quote from: "Mystical"
Ok, so today I was giving a disturbing video. Now, its not like the PETA videos, but its about the new law that might be passed...
yeah most bills don't get passed, and i doubt this one will. just too much at once.

Vince

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #2: April 11, 2009, 08:44:32 PM»
our government is too busy raping our economy and money to pay any attention to animals.

Offline Masha

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #3: April 11, 2009, 08:55:40 PM»
Ha.... ahaha.... ahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa... .

Not gonna happen.

Offline Creek

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #4: April 11, 2009, 08:58:17 PM»
They figure by cutting ties on Animal importation, it'll save money for the economy. Without realizing, it will cost over 1mil jobs in the process. Unfortunately, alot of politicians support the bill.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Vince

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #5: April 11, 2009, 09:01:52 PM»
l2politics before you make a thread concerning a bill that will never make it to the senate or house. and even if it does, it's just going to be used as a means of scapegoatism (oh my god is that real word) to pass bills that they slipped through the cracks via fine lines. it will never be actually acted upon.

Offline Emeraude

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #6: April 11, 2009, 10:30:05 PM»
PETA's endeavors have never been marginally sensible, which is why hardly anyone takes them seriously. i DOUBT the government is going to expend efforts to stop amorous hamsters.

this is just another rung on their ladder of stupid.

Offline Julie

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #7: April 11, 2009, 11:55:51 PM»
Quote from: "Lovely"
PETA's endeavors have never been marginally sensible, which is why hardly anyone takes them seriously. i DOUBT the government is going to expend efforts to stop amorous hamsters.

this isnt PETA... this is a bill.

anyways. of course nobody's going to think about passing it. it affects too many people, and will be IMPOSSIBLE to regulate. if we had found ways to bring alcohol in during prohibition, we can find ways to bring in tiny rodents and fish and such. i have no clue how anyone could even consider this has a POSSIBILITY at becoming a law o_O

Offline Emeraude

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #8: April 12, 2009, 01:36:41 AM»
Quote from: "Jasper"

this isnt PETA... this is a bill.

anyways. of course nobody's going to think about passing it. it affects too many people, and will be IMPOSSIBLE to regulate. if we had found ways to bring alcohol in during prohibition, we can find ways to bring in tiny rodents and fish and such. i have no clue how anyone could even consider this has a POSSIBILITY at becoming a law o_O

i get that, sorry for being unclear in spilling my thoughts. but of the ten (or so) sponsors i can't help but feel the impinging might of PETA and the likelihood they are a contributing factor behind a couple of reps. i was aware this bill or something similar was introduced in 08 but was unsuccessful.

HOPEFULLY the course stays true

Offline Eevee

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #9: April 12, 2009, 02:52:41 AM»
HOPEFULLY the course stays true

if not i'mma pop a cap in someone's ass if i can't get my ferret my husband has cunningly prevented me from having by us moving on-base where they are not allowed...

Offline Pollutionize

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #10: April 14, 2009, 07:19:14 PM»
However this bill is NOT connected to PETA for all those who are interested the organization has a in-depth look at the current lifestyle of the pets that this bill would keep from being sold in a store such as petsmart.

http://www.petsmartcruelty.com/

I'm not for the loss of jobs that this would create but certainly alot has to be done about the conditions that these animals are in that the bill could properly handle. If it would be illegal to sell species like the overall poorly cared for beta fish there would be a lot less reason to obviously breed them and keep them in the extremely confining containment they keep them in.

Overall I'm 99% positive that this would never pass currently because as a nation as long as we get the instant gratification of our hamster or ferret why look into the places it comes from or how many don't live to even make it to be sold.

Hopefully I don't get torn out my ass for posting a pro opinion to this bill. I should clarify I'm not for what this long-haired guy is saying by the radical move of PLUCKING animals that are already in the homes of people that could very well be caring for them.  That's ridiculous and I'd never be in support of that.

But before everyone goes to NOHR669.com and has a hissy fit you should educate yourself about the conditions and how these job holders that obviously we're supporting to continue working are handling thousands of animals that you could one day have in your home.

If you're not a fan of following and collecting information from PETA I can understand some people's hesitance.However we all here are capabale of using the internet to find out about the practices of breeding and obtaining animals from anything to Petco to a mom and pop shop down the road

This bill should be revised, and approached in a much more sensible manner. No one should face fines or jail time for breeding their pets and obviously everyone should be allowed to buy whatever small animal from birds to lizards they want. There should however be laws regarding the safety of the animals importation and have rules for large breeding facilities, that are for the pets welfare.
In game Nicola contact: Lying
In game Liz contact: Polluted

Offline Jenni

Our pets in Peril
«Reply #11: April 14, 2009, 07:49:23 PM»
FIRST OF ALL, i tend to not let PETA sites get too firmly rooted in my mindset. they're several sites proclaiming this and that, getting celebrity endorsement to preach about some cruelty happenstance that no one can fix unless they stop doing what they're doing or sign some petition that will forever be unread. instead of directly helping the cause, they tell us to stop buying stuff that induces the harm to these ~poor defenseless animals~ (ie: going vegan, no fur/leather, stop eating KFC or going to petsmart). but let me tell you, millions of people still eat meat, still buy fur and leather, still eat kfc or go to petsmart despite the animal cruelty going on. even if they were educated about the happenings PETA dramatizes on, i'm pretty sure they'd still go despite the fact.

anyway, this bill is absurd and i doubt it will go anywhere. i'm also looking at the text at the beginning of the video and it states any nonnative pet that is potentially invasive or harmful to people or the economy. so i don't really see any pets falling into that category, but then again i could be wrong.

Electric Guitar

«Reply #12: April 29, 2009, 06:16:35 PM»
It sounds about as retarded as pitbull bans.

But yeah..it'll never be passed.

Offline Dolly

«Reply #13: April 29, 2009, 08:26:09 PM»
Bill's retarded,

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

and so is PETA.

Bills are written with insane shit every day and never pass. I'd be more worried about this shit in a piggyback bill than straight up.

Most of the retarded shit like that is piggybacked onto something nice like "clean air bill" or "food for our children" or "non-ominous positive title that's easy to vote yes on"

like "patriot act"

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:33:28 PM by Dolly »

Offline Ree

«Reply #14: May 02, 2009, 12:33:40 AM»
i don't mind lizards, birds, and hamsters/guinea pigs

but ferrets need to go to a country with a lot less emo kids, like.. canada.

and like vince said, this country is too busy worried about this economy to worry about pets
dmnit!

Vince

«Reply #15: May 02, 2009, 02:01:18 AM»

and like vince said, this country is too busy worried about this economy to worry about pets
i didn't say our country was too busy worrying about the economy. don't put liberal words into my mouth.

i said our government was too busy raping our economy.

Offline Ree

«Reply #16: May 02, 2009, 03:08:15 AM»

i didn't say our country was too busy worrying about the economy. don't put liberal words into my mouth.

i said our government was too busy raping our economy.

you're quite the person, vince

i actually think "country too busy worrying about the economy" and "government raping the economy" as the same thing, really
dmnit!

Sookan

«Reply #17: May 02, 2009, 07:46:35 AM»
why are ferrets emo?

Offline Skink

«Reply #18: May 11, 2009, 02:53:09 PM»
This bill was defeated. Because of a number crunch. Not because people thought it was a bad idea. It';s not gone forever, in fact, it was sent away merely for revision, not to never come back. The special interest groups trying to push this bill forward will and ARE trying again.

Everyone with pets should be worried about and fighting this. Don't say "this will never happen" and ignore it. A retard can run across a battle field completely unscathed if nobody shoots at him. This one would have if people hadn't fought it viciously. It still wasn't enough: pounds and pounds of paper letters, emails, and thousands of calls to the offices of the representatives did not put a complete end to this. I called my state's representative for the bill daily to voice my opinion against the bill, a long with several other people, and he is still for this bill as long as they make execution cheaper.

You want to keep your pets, you have to fight for it. Get politically involved. Don't leave it up to other people or say it will never happen, that's the one sure way to make sure it does.

Victory was had this time, but it's a battle won, not the whole war. And it was won through EFFORT, not disbelief or lack of action!

Electric Guitar

«Reply #19: May 11, 2009, 07:13:47 PM»
The idiocy of people scares the fucking daylights out of me sometimes. I have yet to see the logic in this bill (save money my ass) and I'll definatley put up a fight to stop it from ever happening.

Offline Sync

«Reply #20: May 15, 2009, 12:16:21 PM»
i guess cause it'd help keep foreign diseases away, but most diseases i've heard about that arrived from other countries came on humans so i don't know.

it's been rejected multiple times, or at least versions of it, meaning the arguments for it probably weren't good enough and quite frankly i don't think they ever will be.

Offline Skink

«Reply #21: May 18, 2009, 09:47:36 PM»
It would not help with foreign diseases. We are not getting constantly bombarded by animal to human transmissions, usually our own broad reaches are our downfall. Healthy animals will not transmit diseases because they have none to give to us. Responsible keepers of ALL species should be eliminating parasites on and in their animals. People become responsible keepers through EDUCATION, which should be people's focus on fixing invasive species populations related to the pet trade, NOT just saying they're not allowed! People still drank during the prohibition and people still smoke weed even though it's illegal. People would still own those animals if it was made illegal. But they would be doing it with an even greater lack of information on how to properly care for these animals, and it would be our creature companions who suffer at the hands of the unadept. Just like people were often killed by bad home brews of alcohol and you just might end up on the bad end of a reaction from that basement grown shady dealer weed that had something in it you were unaware of (before people jump the subject, speaking from a friend's experience: I think it was cocaine laced in to her pot, she didn't know about it, it reacted with her medication and nearly killed her.)

HR669 may have been kicked for now but similar laws are already being put up from a state to state basis. One was already passed!

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=89528

Many pets on that list do not make good pets for the average person. Others don't even belong on there! There is no possibility of getting a permit to keep any of the animals listed there. Just a YOU NO CAN HAS. It is NOT insane to think these laws will be passed without action against it! That law was ignored in the flurry of HR669... and it was passed.

Several species of varanids are listed there. When owned by someone who truly cares for these animals properly, they're just as dangerous as the happy house hold dog.. accidently scratching and maybe giving you a nip when you're doing something they really hate. They are never really life threatening (save for the komodo dragon, which is not exactly available in  the pet trade as it is.)

Several species of giant boids are listed as illegal there. Where the normal dog or cat lover might not be able to imagine owning a snake that grows large enough to eat pigs, as a snake lover and reptile enthusiast I chttp://altmarket.net/index.php?action=post;topic=24923.15;num_replies=20an say for the people who see them as suitable pets, the larger the snake, the more there is to love. The largest snake in captivity, at 24+ feet, has never harmed a soul.. and his owner would never let go of her for a million dollars. Even if he sells pythons for a living!

Hybridized animals of anything listed are illegal. Including Savannah Cats (domestic to serval) or Wolf Hybrids. Both animals that are known to be wonderful pets with the

Rear fanged colubrid snakes are banned! This is beyond insane. The rear fanged colubrids have a very ineffective venom delivery system and the venom is so mild that it only poses any harm to you if you are allergic; even then it is only antiphalactic shock that hurts you, much like a bee sting, and not the venom itself. Rear fanged colubrids include popular and harmless pets like the lovable Western Hognose.

Dart frogs are banned! These are more harmless then the species that are still allowed! Their toxicity comes from their diet in the wild. In  captivity, these animals are completely NON-TOXIC. They are just tiny frogs only large enough to eat fruit flies. Oh how scary.

No tarantulas. No scorpions. Commonly available species have the poison power of, oh. A bumble bee.

PEOPLE NEED TO FIGHT FOR THEIR PETS. From here only more laws will be passed and more species black listed! The government needs to learn that not everything can be fixed with a signature saying it's illegal! Public education, reasonable regulation, and responsible pet keepers fighting for their right to love whatever animal they want to love would work much  better. It's just harder. A lot of the animals listed there are not average pets that anyone can handle. But a lot of people can responsibly, and what kind of freedom is it to take the ability to from them? This is not a matter of conservation, endangered status protection, or high risk of invasive populations becoming established. This is the quick fix. They're telling them what's good for you and giving you no say in it, nobody even got much of an opportunity to argue against this. Fascism, anyone?

This might just be Connecticut now. It can be anyone's state next. Who knows what they will take from us next? Our hamsters? Our harmless 4 foot snakes? Our lovebirds and parrots? Our rabbits? Certain breeds of dogs?

If you don't like the sounds of a law, always assume people will be stupid enough to agree with the statement made within, and fight against it. Sitting by and doing nothing gets things like this.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:57:16 PM by Paint »

Johnny

«Reply #22: May 28, 2009, 12:12:29 AM»

Offline Emilee

«Reply #23: June 03, 2009, 11:17:56 AM»
why are ferrets emo?

Isn't it obvious? They're tall and skinny and have black around their eyes. :V
Sometimes.
Also. They tend to be quite smelly. Hurrhurr.
NOT AS ANNOYING AS THOSE PREPPY, SQUEALING GUINEA PIGS THOUGH. Christ.
Furcadia: Morticia
Second Life: Morticia Blackheart