supersaver

Author Topic: Alts and their Designs  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Creek

Alts and their Designs
«: April 01, 2009, 10:02:32 PM»
Now, before you come in here and go all "GGGGGRRRRRRR >0 " at me, let me explain what i'm talking about.

You know how there are alts out there, and there are those names you really want. And when they finally go up for sale, They have this shitty design that you just don't think fits the name. Should there be a choice of you asking for them to just sell you the name without the design, or is that completely not allowed? What are you're thoughts on this topic?

There have been a few alts personally I've been tempted to ask if I could just buy the name cleared with no design, but I've thought against it due to the fact I think the person will go all "No you either buy the design with the alt, or gtfo."

Now I know how it is hard to come up with a design, but I personally think it might be better to give the oppurtunity to have someone buy the name off for a lesser price without the design, as it'll help those who want the alt, but don't have the funds cause some people price ridiculously high just for the design and time put into the design itself.

Also, please don't name the Alts or the people who have the alts to the designs ect ect. I don't want shaming in in topic.

[If this is in the wrong area, move it please.]
[Please let's keep this topic ON TOPIC and no flaming or any of that stuff, I don't want to ask for this topic to be closed, or have it closed when i go to bed tonight. ]
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Offline Zim

Alts and their Designs
«Reply #1: April 01, 2009, 10:09:09 PM»
If you buy it and change the design, I personally don't see it as the seller's business. If they don't want to "lose" the design, don't sell it with the alt... especially if it's not in a contract beforehand. That's why I tend to not show portraits on the alts I am selling, because it follows the same principle... buy an alt for the name, not the design. At least, that's what I do if I see a name I like. P:

</two copper scales>

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Demi

Alts and their Designs
«Reply #2: April 01, 2009, 10:27:14 PM»
Agreed.  If they don't want their precious generic unoriginal design frittered around they should just keep it for themselves. OR if they want to get rid of it and noone will buy the name aswell
sell seperately.

I usually find myself clearing ported alts I obtain. Mostly because 1. the ports sucked 2. I wanted the spaces so I cleared them 8) 3. I have ideas of my own USING MY IMAGINATION creativity isn't restricted to artists.

Now, no naming names but this is something I noticed a while back that I just found to be even more ridiculous than "THE DESIGN MUST BE ON THIS ALT FOREVER!". This person had in their post that the desc and colors must stay the same.

/facepalm

I refuse to show ports. An awesome port and an abundance of art will not make a crappy name look amazing and an amazing alt shouldn't be de-valued because it has absolutely nothing or pixels vomited on it. You can always clean off the vomit and make that great name you wanted sparkle.
I rarely log in. Only contact me if serious about purchasing my stuff.
My Deviantart
FurAffinity

Offline lolo

Alts and their Designs
«Reply #3: April 01, 2009, 10:27:41 PM»
i usually ask people beforehand if they're buying the alt for the design AND the name or just the name.

like when i sold the alt johnny, i would have charged higher if they had wanted the design plus the name. but i kinda figured they were just after the alt so it was a pretty prominent reduction in $$

there's a particular alt for saaaale now that i kinda wanna offer on, but they're selling the design + name only and charging a (in my opinion but it ain't my place to say!!) amount for it.
like exactly as u said, brotha, i woulda offered on the alt if i didn't have to pay for the artwork THEY bought for themselves 2.

Offline Altria

Alts and their Designs
«Reply #4: April 01, 2009, 10:30:21 PM»
If you don't want your precious design sold, take it off the alt, or don't sell the alt at all, because you can't expect the buyer of the alt to keep the design, no matter how awesome you think it is. It's kind of like the unspoken "DON'T PASS THIS ALT AROUND AFTER I SELL IT TO YOU" rule that nobody really follows.

Personally, it kind of bugs me when people expect you to pay out the ass for an alt AND the design they came up with. I have no problem asking the seller if they are willing to remove the design and lower the price. If they say no, I'll buy from someone else.

Offline Hugo

Alts and their Designs
«Reply #5: April 02, 2009, 11:11:31 AM»
Alts and designs should always be sold separately with a discount if bought together.

People are just afraid to haggle with one another. Or they don't want to spend the money clearing ports.

Senny

Re: Alts and their Designs
«Reply #6: May 06, 2009, 04:35:25 PM»
Generally I keep my alts designs related to the name - ie, Dine is a cannibalistic feral, and Shell is a humanoid hermit crab. The rest of my alts, or at least the majority, have more ambiguous designs.

All my alts have either a 10 or 5GD flat-rate, regardless of any design or not. I only sell higher if the name or ports are from specific artists - ie, Alabaster Sea.

Offline Zodiac

«Reply #7: May 09, 2009, 08:59:12 PM»
I think that if a person does not want the design that comes with the alt, then they should not be charged for it and the seller should keep it. They could always move it on to an alt that they are still selling and see if it sells with that one. If someone buys an alt, and removes the design from it, then that's just a risk the seller is taking when they decide to sell the alt.

Offline Billy

«Reply #8: May 21, 2009, 05:55:14 PM»
When I buy an alt, I buy it for the sake of the name, not the design.
Even if it comes with a design or ports, I tend to make my own in the end, due the fact I want to make the alt more *mine*. If that makes sense really. If it comes with ports or design, so be it, it doesn't mean I'll use it.

When I once in a blue moon sell an alt, I price it for the affection value, not because it's ported or got art etc.  I don't really care if the buyer keeps the design, or make a new one, they bought it, their alt.  If it's a design I really like, I keep it and sell the alt blank, because I like to think that people buy the alt because of the name.

Offline Kels

«Reply #9: July 06, 2009, 12:09:17 PM»
I ussaly but the alt's for their desigs Im not into making up my own designs. . .Anyway I agree you should have the right to get the price lowered if you don't want the alt just the name. I do think it's a bit unfair that we charge for the name and design because the design is more of a thing that you can choose if you want so really you shouldn't "Have to" Buy it. . .My statement didn't make complete sense but yeah that's kinda how I view it. . .

Offline Ilsa

«Reply #10: July 06, 2009, 10:00:53 PM»
I've seen some neat names that people are trying to sell for 100+ dollars with crappy designs, I've been tempted to make an offer lower with the promise to buy a SS for the character and transfer all its sparkledog portraits and the SS to another character of the seller's choice as part of the payment.

Offline Hathor

«Reply #11: July 11, 2009, 08:58:28 PM»
I buy/trade alts for the name, not the design (unless it's the name of an official character), since I usually have a design ready for the alt name, even before I've bought it. Mostly because all of my characters were created long before I ever got into Furc.

Joel

«Reply #12: August 07, 2009, 02:45:53 AM»
i will usually only ~*buy*~ alts if it has a great name and design. or just a good name. if it has a cruddy design that has, lets say a lot of art and ports. i won't buy it just because it would raise the price and i wouldn't be using it anyway. this especially counts for alts that are feral, i could never have a feral alt and actually use it; sooo -- i don't buy feral alts under any circumstances, really. but usually feral alts have good names. u_u

even though i go by all i previously stated, i don't think you should be able to choose whether or not you buy the alt with the design it has. because, people tend to put alot of money and time into the alt and it going to waste or being switched to a different alt is stupidd. although it would be nice for when buying alts, i wouldnt want to sell an alt and have to clear the ports or something. if the buyer planned to clear them and it wasnt an alt with any sentimental value, i wouldn't mind.

/edit

obviously if they choose not to use the design that's okay but i wouldn't exclude it from the price either way considering it may have ports, etc, that i wouldn't bother clearing. i don't have all that much money to go spending around on pointless things.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:36:18 PM by Joel »

Professor

«Reply #13: August 07, 2009, 06:39:43 AM»
I never did understand why offering your design separately from the name you're selling is such a finger-slicing thing to do.  Normally people want the freedom to make their own design, but if they ARE buying it for the design/ports, then there you go.  They CHOOSE to do that and should be able to choose /not/ to do that as well.  Nobody knows how to satisfy a customer anymore, my goodness.

Doctor Pixel

«Reply #14: August 31, 2009, 11:27:35 AM»
I can pretty much agree here.

I sort of see those whom will refuse to sell the alt without the design as greedy. If it's such a big deal to them to take off the design and knock the price down a tad? It's likely because they want that extra cash-flow.

Every person is going to have thier own perception of how an alt should or could be designed, especially for names that can have obvious designs. Inanimate objects for example.

It's my own personal opinion that in the spirit of good business and 'keeping the customer happy' that you should allow said name to be sold either way.

supersaver