supersaver

Author Topic: Use em or lose em!  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Hugo

Use em or lose em!
«: March 22, 2009, 03:48:37 PM»
I've noticed something a little disturbing in some alt-selling threads here on-site.

Not once, but several times I've come across this message in someone's terms, usually not in bold or put all the way at the bottom of a thread.

If you don't change the password and e-mail, I will not hesitate to take back said purchased alt.

Some people even state that it is their -right- to take the alt back without notification or a refund if you do not change the information right away. Granted, it is very smart to change these things as soon as you obtain a new alt, but is it really a person's right to take back something that was sold and paid for? Do you consider this theft?

Aku

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #1: March 22, 2009, 04:02:54 PM»
Yeah, I consider that theft. Even if it is the buyer's "fault" or whatever.

But at the same time they kinda look like bluffs to me, so they'll actually change the email and password. Y'know?
I've had people I sold alts to not change the pw&email almost a year after I did. I only found out because I forgot I sold the alt and logged on (I'm slow with .ini deletion sometimes), then realized- "whoa, there's a digo on it!" and logged out.
It's like, "that was a good name... why wouldn't you change the password at least?"

Offline Byakko

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #2: March 22, 2009, 04:04:28 PM»
I think it's a very dirty thing to do and no, you should not have the right to do it...but on the other hand, if you buy a car and park it in the sales lot, leaving the key inside and the door wide open...you can't be that surprised if it gets stolen. But it would be just that--- STOLEN, not "taken back".

Lovedoll

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #3: March 22, 2009, 04:29:22 PM»
I PMed the mods about this a while ago as, according to Cironir's statements in scamming cases, taking something back without refund is considered a scam. Whether they change password or not, it's your responsibility to get it off your email and delete the ini file. You forfeit any rights to claim it back once you sold it and got your half of the deal.

They said they would discuss it, but I'm not sure if something is being done to edit these threads or notify the owners or whatever.

Vince

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #4: March 22, 2009, 04:32:51 PM»
that is the fucking worst thing to ever fucking do if you are "professional" alt trader and have a decent reputation. not only is it bad practice, but you're just a complete and total asshole.

i've had to go into several alts that hadn't changed their e-mail like i asked (and kept the same password, or changed it but didn't change the e-mail) and change it myself. but never would i fucking be a piece of shit who takes back an alt after selling it because i t i s n o t y o u r s. (in b4 someone makes the DEP owns the alts argument. that's not the point.)

someone would get a fucking beat down.

Hojo

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #5: March 22, 2009, 05:16:02 PM»
Wow.

Yeah, that is just plain wrong and obviously theft.

If you have that in your alt selling page, what makes you think people will even trade with you? Not everyone changes their pw within one second of purchasing an alt.

But I've had a few people who have forgotten to change their emails after buying alts from me, and then receiving notices a few months later warning about expiration. I send them a PM to reming them to change it, but if the alt expires it is really their own problem.

Change your emails!

Offline Shimmer

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #6: March 22, 2009, 05:55:27 PM»
Personally, when I trade an alt, I change the email address to a bogus/impossible email address, delete the .ini, and once the new owner successfully logs in, I leave it at that.

If the person fails to change the email address, then eventually they end up in the Furcadian Abyss until they do so.

If they never change the password, I'll never know, because--out of curiosity, or any other motive--I don't check to see if it was changed or not.  Ever.

That all being said, I do not agree with the notion that it is a seller's right to repo alts that haven't been secured by the new owner.

Offline Altria

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #7: March 22, 2009, 07:16:12 PM»
That's a good way to do it, Shimmer.

I can't believe anyone would think that taking back an alt is even REMOTELY okay.  :roll: Have fun getting banned when you do.

Offline Jearu

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #8: March 22, 2009, 07:32:37 PM»
I've seen this said in the alt tack AND freebies. Question: Why would you threaten to take an alt back that you want gone? If I am giving something away for free, I change it to a bogus email so that it's off mine until it finally expires. But I don't change an email when selling an alt because I really don't give a shit if the character is still on my email, I never check the emails that my unused (ones I'm selling) alts are on. I do remind them to change them as soon as they can. ..I still have an alt attached to my email that I traded away two years ago.. and it's password is still unchanged but I've forgotten who it was to. ;;

It's completely wrong to take something back that you sold or gave away, even if the password and email aren't changed. You're a complete moron if you think otherwise.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Lovedoll

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #9: March 23, 2009, 03:37:49 AM»
Quote from: "Shimmer"
Personally, when I trade an alt, I change the email address to a bogus/impossible email address, delete the .ini, and once the new owner successfully logs in, I leave it at that.

If the person fails to change the email address, then eventually they end up in the Furcadian Abyss until they do so.

If they never change the password, I'll never know, because--out of curiosity, or any other motive--I don't check to see if it was changed or not.  Ever.

That all being said, I do not agree with the notion that it is a seller's right to repo alts that haven't been secured by the new owner.

So far I've never had a problem with someone not changing passwords for the same reason. Before I do anything I change the email address to [email protected] and then change the password to something random by smashing on the keyboard.

jhefj76aa783gj1k

Like that. :D And then I tell them "Change your email or it'll get frozen cause that address isn't mine and doesn't exist x}" Watch them run fast on their short lil legs to change it. O:

And because I delete the ini file after the trade, I will never be able to remember the password either. (I don't get an email either because I changed the email address beforehand) It's a failproof method of trading and I don't get why people don't do this themselves. It only takes 2 minutes of your time.

There's no logical reason anyone would have to sit and wait for the address to be changed.

Offline Shimmer

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #10: March 24, 2009, 01:38:13 AM»
Hi Avary,

I agree with every part that you wrote, except maybe the passwords you use.  I change the passwords of alts I'm trading to a unique/unshared temporary password, of course, but I take no extra steps to make sure that I won't remember it.

The reason for this is that I access Furcadia and FAM from mutiple computers, as well as FAM on a mobile device.  If someone, for some reason, loses their password (they'll have logs, you might say--it's unlikely, you might say--but sooner or later, someone will manage), I'd be able to give it to them again without necessarily having to be on the same computer I was on when I traded them the alt.  :)

I definitely agree, however, that it's two minutes spent making the transaction secure and ensuring that you don't end up with someone else's alt taking up a slot assigned to your email address, or potentially, other responsibility issues.

I'm sure that when the accounts update comes out, there'll be a few issues because of procrastinators not having set their email addresses to an address that's theirs... Then what?  "I want a refund."?  "You sold me the alt, so pay the $5 transfer fee, because I never put it on my email address and now I can't log in because I'm not on your account."?  "You never changed the email and now you can't log in--either you pay the fee, or you've lost the alt."?  Nothing against anyone, but I don't want to deal with that.  :\

Offline Zodiac

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #11: March 24, 2009, 04:32:54 PM»
We've been discussing how to handle the people who use these kind of things on the forums, and working out a way to stop people from making these kind of disclaimers but still enabling them to get their purpose taken care of - the alts OFF their emails. I like the changing the email before hand idea, and I think that everyone should start doing this if it is really such a huge deal to them that the alt be removed from their email.

Personally, I could care less if a person gets an alt off my email because I have about 15 email addresses created solely for alts anyways over the years. If one gets full, I move on.

Offline SULLY

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #12: March 25, 2009, 08:01:56 PM»
i always set the email to [email protected] or w/e before selling an alt to someone to prevent mishaps. if it only takes 2 seconds for them to change it, it only takes ME the exact same amount of time so i just do it. no big dicks.

taking an alt back b/c someone didn't change the email or whatnot is pretty shifty if you ask me, even shiftier if said indian giver claims to be entitled to do so... but there are a lot of you on here that are pretty darn weird so i'm not entirely surprised by this phenomenon. sometimes i wonder if the email on my newly acquired alt hasn't been changed on purpose, in an effort to trick me into changing the pw without checking and thereby giving up my secret info........... just because this "community" in general seems to be very angsty and disloyal

just be safe & secure
keep it cute or put it on mute

i think building a "professional" alt-trading "reputation" in the "business" is pretty much a stupid thing to do but just follow common rules of courtesy. no need to play dirty with the furries, we can all coexist harmoniously if we try

Vince

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #13: March 25, 2009, 08:09:06 PM»
i dont ever change the emails on the alts i sell in case something happens and they cant get into or somethin :S

if someone changes the password first, i don't even fucking look into the email and tell the person, and delete it

Offline Sheikah

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #14: March 25, 2009, 10:09:17 PM»
Doing that to someone is total a complete bullshit.  You basically double dip AND steal, and that's not acceptable at any time, no matter -what- you're doing.

The way I feel about it:  If I paid for it, then it's mine, and if you take it back because I didn't piss myself in a hurry to change all of the information then I will verbally go upside your head until you are -forced- to give it back. O:

Taken back is just a nice way of saying I WILL STEAL YOUR SHIT AND PROFIT TWICE.

Lovedoll

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #15: March 26, 2009, 06:16:41 AM»
Quote from: "Shimmer"
Hi Avary,

I agree with every part that you wrote, except maybe the passwords you use.  I change the passwords of alts I'm trading to a unique/unshared temporary password, of course, but I take no extra steps to make sure that I won't remember it.

The reason for this is that I access Furcadia and FAM from mutiple computers, as well as FAM on a mobile device.  If someone, for some reason, loses their password (they'll have logs, you might say--it's unlikely, you might say--but sooner or later, someone will manage), I'd be able to give it to them again without necessarily having to be on the same computer I was on when I traded them the alt.  :)

I definitely agree, however, that it's two minutes spent making the transaction secure and ensuring that you don't end up with someone else's alt taking up a slot assigned to your email address, or potentially, other responsibility issues.

I'm sure that when the accounts update comes out, there'll be a few issues because of procrastinators not having set their email addresses to an address that's theirs... Then what?  "I want a refund."?  "You sold me the alt, so pay the $5 transfer fee, because I never put it on my email address and now I can't log in because I'm not on your account."?  "You never changed the email and now you can't log in--either you pay the fee, or you've lost the alt."?  Nothing against anyone, but I don't want to deal with that.  :\

Ah yeah, I see what you mean with the password. But then again, I always tell people to change the email and pass the minute I gave them the password. And usually, proxies also keep whisper logs, so should the person be stupid enough not to change the password (their own responsibility & fault) they can always look back into those logs.

Really though, changing an email and pass is the LEAST bit of responsibility someone could show when alt trading. Mostly the receiver of the alt. They wanted it badly enough, but they can't be bothered to change the password and then forget it..? Well, then they deserve it imo. It's not that incredibly hard or anything. e_e;

Same applies to email addresses not confirmed when the account update comes out. If you've given ample warnings, hints and suggestions to change the email address already, and they simply  are too lazy or refuse to get their shit in order, then it's not your problem and it shouldn't ever be. Emerald Flame has been telling people for months to sort their alts onto one email and use spaces if necessary (should you exceed maximum alt limit), so there's really no excuse for anyone who's not getting their business straightened out.

Offline Shimmer

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #16: March 26, 2009, 11:14:19 PM»
Hi Connery,

I definitely agree with you that the process should be relatively fail-proof, but believe me... People will find a way.  I am constantly amazed at the innovative, ingenious ways that people find to mess up even the simplest of things.  That being said, I err on the side of extreme caution where possible!  :)

I also agree with you about the responsibilities of the person buying the alt.  Mainly, what I try to make certain of when I trade is that the person has what they need to secure the alt, and I've taken steps to assure that it is no longer attached to me.

And that, for the most part, is that...

Offline Zodiac

Use em or lose em!
«Reply #17: April 02, 2009, 04:05:38 PM»
Action taken on this subject.

http://altmarket.net/viewtopic.php?t=24630

supersaver