supersaver

Author Topic: Rotting forever  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Sebbi

Rotting forever
«: February 16, 2009, 09:45:57 PM»
This thread is an insight, not a bashing, so please be respectful of each other's opinions whether you agree with them or not. If you feel like you are or might say something nasty, do not reply. :)

I never have and probably never will understand a name rotting away. Even with my most loved characters (like Sebbi), IF and when I decide to quit, I'm going to let the name go. I can understand if someone is REALLY looking for that name and it is just never available to them how disappointing that can be.

The biggest arguments against this I hear is: It's just a game, I put a lot of time and energy into that name, and "I don't want it being passed around".

1) If it is just a game, then no one should feel the need to hoard the name if it is that unimportant.

2) I can understand this, but once you are ready to move on I firmly believe in letting someone else put a lot of time and energy into the name. Why let all that time rot when the name can flourish? Give it to a friend if it is that concerning. Ultimately, you're not going to use it anymore and it might deserve a little more respect than to rot.

3) In a way I understand the passed around thing, but in another way I realize that eventually that name will find a forever home. I have no doubt that IF I decide to leave that Abigail will pass through many hands, and probably has! For me, I am it's forever home until I either decide to move on or Furc shuts down. I can't imagine a name just floating around forever. Someone is going to love it! I know if I ever got the name Sushi I'd freaking piss myself with joy!

So how do you feel about this? Do you believe in the 'rotting' cycle, do you not care much, or do you wish there was something to prevent rotting?

I tell you what, the rotting cycle does put a great deal of value on a name!

Offline Eevee

Rotting forever
«Reply #1: February 16, 2009, 10:03:31 PM»
In all honesty, people can do what they want with their alts. If they quit and decide not to give the name to anyone and its ported/digo'd, that's their choice and it should be respected, even if you're upset that you can't have the name.

I think another reason some people don't give/sell their most treasured names to people before they quit is that some people like to come back from time to time to see how the game has progressed on a name people knew them by in hopes to find old friends. This happened especially on Furcadia's 10th anniversary.

There is also the issue of some players dying before their time and their friends know about it. They don't want someone taking the name of their deceased friend and ruining it with behavior that would put the deceased owner to shame.

Offline Mychelle

Rotting forever
«Reply #2: February 17, 2009, 01:05:28 AM»
Quote from: "Eevee"
In all honesty, people can do what they want with their alts. If they quit and decide not to give the name to anyone and its ported/digo'd, that's their choice and it should be respected, even if you're upset that you can't have the name.

Agreed. Though I guess Im not one who should talk. :) heh.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Hugo

Rotting forever
«Reply #3: February 17, 2009, 08:40:38 AM»
Agreeing with Eevee. I'd be pissed as hell if I equipped an alt with a lifer only to come back and find some yuppy running around with my name. People don't always 'quit' Furcadia.

Believe it or not, there are these things called bills which people have to pay to keep internet access. Imagine someone being fired. The first things to get cut in most households are internet, TV, and magazine subscriptions. Often people don't get those luxuries back for quite some time. Same goes for young players whose parents may chose to cut Furcadia from the computer for years at a time while the kid's in school. Are they leaving their names to rot?

I've seen too many games who promise you can keep your name forever if you pay them a bit of money only to have the name taken from its owner regardless after a bit of inactivity.

Are you saying these names should be given to new people or are you targetting a specific range of inactive alts?

Offline MAU

Rotting forever
«Reply #4: February 17, 2009, 09:24:43 AM»
furcadia has promised the community that, if you put ten dollars worth of collateral on an alt, it will remain in your possession.

i expect them to adhere to this, and i have no doubt that they will, hence why all of my alts have portrait spaces and/or digo items on them. are they going to "rot with me"? most likely. however, on that same note, other people are entitled to do the same as well. if a wanted alt of mine is rotting, however unfortunate that may be, there's really nothing i can do about it.

i'm a bit jaded when it comes to "alts finding forever homes". i've been apart of the community for years and have been observing without partaking for even longer and i've found seldom few people who will actually hold onto an alt for an extended period of time.

however, if i chose to let go of an alt, this is something i accept and obviously don't mind, or i wouldn't be selling it in the first place!

in closing: i'm glad alts with digos and portraits don't expire, and i'm pleased to see others share the same sentiment.

Offline Narnia

Rotting forever
«Reply #5: February 17, 2009, 09:30:38 AM»
The name Narnia will rot forever in the event I 'quit' Furcadia.

The simple reason being that it has been one of my online identities for the past 11 years and I don't plan to simply pass it on to someone else who wants it.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Vince

Rotting forever
«Reply #6: February 17, 2009, 09:47:38 AM»
i don't want someone getting a hold of one my characters whom i've poured every resource i've got only to see them visually and artistically rape it.

Offline Sebbi

Rotting forever
«Reply #7: February 17, 2009, 11:53:50 AM»
There are some really good posts in this topic, and I hope they keep coming!

I still disagree on the 'time' and 'energy' part. I trust that someone out there will be as equally as deserving of a name they may also pour a lot of time and energy into. To just let the name rot seems so...sad :(

Also, I want to point out that I'm not having this conversation just to be told to 'deal with it'. Like I said, there are some good posts here and I want to get more insight. Obviously the names are just as important to their current owners as they are to people who, like me, would fall over in love if they had them!

Offline Douche

Rotting forever
«Reply #8: February 17, 2009, 12:32:01 PM»
Quote from: "legolas"
i don't want someone getting a hold of one my characters whom i've poured every resource i've got only to see them visually and artistically rape it.

iawtc, enough said.
Contact on: Douche, Asmund or Voorn
~Alts For Sale~

Hojo

Rotting forever
«Reply #9: February 17, 2009, 01:00:49 PM»
I agree with Eevee on this one.

As a first year college student, I haven't been able to sign on to most of my characters for a long period of time as I used to, but would I let mine rot the day I 'quit'?

Yes and no.

No in regards to some of my ported alts, I'd likely erase the art and let them expire.  And if someone were truly wanting to use that alt, they could try to create it within the expiry waiting period.

Yes, as some have already mentioned, if I were to quit and return years later, would I want to see my mains running around and causing trouble? Or acting like idiots? No.

Characters that you have taken the time and effort to create, buy, and use should be allowed to rot if you so please.  If someone complains about it, then they are kind of SOL.  It isnt their alt, it's the owner's/user's.

/end. Now for fewd.  :D

Vince

Rotting forever
«Reply #10: February 17, 2009, 03:08:34 PM»
Quote from: "Sebbi"
I still disagree on the 'time' and 'energy' part. I trust that someone out there will be as equally as deserving of a name they may also pour a lot of time and energy into. To just let the name rot seems so...sad :(

no.

worm is my fursona (yes i said it fuck you guys) and i'd rather her rot with me because she is essentially me and no one else. it was a stupid idea to even think about selling her, even if i was doing to help a friend. shit happens, i took her down. she's mine 4e now.

Offline Mychelle

Rotting forever
«Reply #11: February 17, 2009, 03:19:23 PM»
Sigh. The poor horse is dead. =/ Why do people got to keep beating it.

Long story short. It doesnt matter if its a fursona, or you've had it forever, or you've paid artwork for it, or paid to get it, or if someone would use it more, or if someone elses real name, or cat's name, or aunt's-brothers-sisters-twins name or any of that stuff.

It belongs to the owner. The owner can see fit to do anything[/u][/i] they want with it. If they want the alt to rot, its gonna rot. And that is perfectly acceptable because its their choice.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Vince

Rotting forever
«Reply #12: February 17, 2009, 03:28:22 PM»
someone wants confirmation that they're not the only ones who feel rotting alts need to be released back into the public regardless of the "owner"'s wishes.

Offline Tillandsia

Rotting forever
«Reply #13: February 17, 2009, 03:38:10 PM»
Having the name of an original character rot with you is one thing, but having a hugely popular name that anyone could potentially use, just for example let's say "John" or "Jane", I think that is a little strange/silly for the person to not let go of it if they're quitting for good. (I have no clue who might own those names, I'm just using them as examples..)

If it has a lot of ports and sentimental value I can easily see why people might want to hang on to it, if they plan on returning at any point.

Still, it's their choice.

Offline ali

Rotting forever
«Reply #14: February 17, 2009, 03:50:45 PM»
i'm letting (most, maybe, if not all) of my alts rot because they're mine and i can let them if i want to...

mostly because they have sentimental values and such, not because i'm being a total dick about it or anything. i paid alot of those names, and i'm somewhat attatched, enough to not let them go to someone else. more than likely, they'd just be sold off anyways. and what if i suddenly came back to furcadia, if i ever quit? i'd still want my characters.

sure, it's unfair, but oh well

tl;dr - you should learn to deal with it because people can do whatever they want with their alts