supersaver

Author Topic: Why do people up ABs?  (Read 2697 times)

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«: December 27, 2008, 04:13:02 PM»
After it's been met.
I can't fathom it, really.
Are people that greedy nowadays?

And is there really an excuse for it?
~a -valid- excuse?

Sookan

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #1: December 27, 2008, 04:37:14 PM»
if it's been met, you've been gipped

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #2: December 27, 2008, 04:40:39 PM»
I agree totally.

Or, or... even better...
When someone buys an alt, then resells it for DOUBLE what they paid when they added nothing to the alt? ISN'T THAT FANTASTIC?

The greed in this market is not shocking, it's just sad.

Hojo

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #3: December 27, 2008, 04:53:19 PM»
Quote from: "Kangaroo"
I agree totally.

Or, or... even better...
When someone buys an alt, then resells it for DOUBLE what they paid when they added nothing to the alt? ISN'T THAT FANTASTIC?

The greed in this market is not shocking, it's just sad.

I agree with Sookan on the first part, but as for the second about reselling alts for higher prices ... It's their alts, and if they want to sell it for higher than what they bought it for, then let them. Its really up to the buyer and seller.

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #4: December 27, 2008, 05:13:10 PM»
Yeah, you're right. I wont branch from my first topic any further.

Offline Sync

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #5: December 27, 2008, 06:18:56 PM»
i like ABs cause i don't have to worry about people outbidding me.

Vince

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #6: December 27, 2008, 07:56:48 PM»
Quote from: "Sync"
i like ABs cause i don't have to worry about people outbidding me.

this.

Offline Mychelle

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #7: December 27, 2008, 07:58:26 PM»
In my opinion, if they have set an autobuy for the alt. And you meet that autobuy, and then they decide to up it after the autobuy has originally been met, yes. Jipped.

Wouldnt really call it a "SCAM" or anything, but its just bad business. And I prolly wouldnt trade with anyone again that did that to me.

If someone doesnt know what they want for an alt, just dont list an autobuy. Works fine for me.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Narnia

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #8: December 27, 2008, 10:13:48 PM»
If only eBay would let me change my "buy it now" price after someone has agreed to pay it.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Julie

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #9: December 27, 2008, 10:18:56 PM»
i would think they would only do this if someone met the original AB quickly

look at it from the seller's viewpoint. "i dont know if i'll get this offer. oh my GOD SOMEONE AUTO'D IT MAYBE I CAN GET MORE. *up ab!!!!*"

it's unfair, but you can't do much about it. if they want to increase it they can. hell even if you do meet the AB they could say "oops i dont like you sry"

if everyone sold their alts when the auto was met regardless of who was bidding the entire (note, ~entire~) alt trading world would be smoother. and obv that can never happen

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #10: December 28, 2008, 12:15:14 AM»
Quote from: "Mychelle"
And I prolly wouldnt trade with anyone again that did that to me.

My feelings exact.

Once, ages ago, I found out someone I was trading with even made up a story to get me to pay more.
It went something like this:

*AB met. trade ready to go*

Me: Ready?
Person: Yep!
-10 minute delay-
Person: Someone just offered me more. >_> ...
Me: How much more?
Person: 20 dollars

And it went from there. I'm on the fence with it being a scam and being jipped (To me, there's a fine line.... very, very, very thin line). Instances like my story above are scams to me, though. :p

Offline Hugo

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #11: December 28, 2008, 09:32:29 AM»
There are a lot of shady things artists and sellers can do to you without breaking any rules (moral ones excluded). Upping a met AB is one of them.

While you can't really seek action as a result, you can definitely leave a scathing review and give your honest feedback if someone is considering buying from them.

Offline Jenni

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #12: December 28, 2008, 11:24:48 AM»
i think upping autobuys or extending auction deadlines are bullshit because obviously the person is a greedy asshole trying to milk it for all it's worth.

Offline Altria

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #13: December 28, 2008, 06:50:32 PM»
Quote from: "Jenni"
i think upping autobuys or extending auction deadlines are bullshit because obviously the person is a greedy asshole trying to milk it for all it's worth.

This.

And also, this thread got me thinking about bad business practices in the alt trading market in general. Why the fuck do people feel the need to take advantage of others and be greedy little shits? I really, really wish I could see these people coming -before- I deal with them.

I wanted this one alt really bad and told the person I could pay her what she was looking for right after Christmas. She told me she didn't want to trade the alt right away, but that she'd contact me first when she did, and then all of a sudden she sells the alt to someone else for twice what she originally told me she wanted. No PM, no nothing. I mean she can do what she wants with her alts, but holy shit. Way to be a prick.

Offline Emeraude

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #14: December 28, 2008, 07:17:15 PM»
major asshole antics. i've had a person use my bid (which was an autobuy) as a way to get others to bid higher. it's just greed fueled by stupidity. i hope they get hit by a milk truck.

sincerely.

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #15: December 28, 2008, 09:53:47 PM»
*pulls out a pitchfork*
riot time.

Offline Mychelle

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #16: December 28, 2008, 10:20:04 PM»
I got the wood, you get the gasoline.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Sheikah

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #17: January 05, 2009, 08:54:55 PM»
Too bad that milk truck missed, huh? ;]

But seriously, on topic:  I think that people just do it because they want to try and get more...errr..how would you say....buck for their bang?
 Most of the time if you just remain firm on your offer they'll sell it to you for the old autobuy as long as you dont pitch a fit about it.
Sometimes people just get generally decide an alt is worth more, which would be a case of "wrong decision at the worst possible time".  
 In all honesty, its theirs to sell and if they dont give it to you for what you offer, what're you going to do?  Nothing, and that's all you can do.  Best thing would be to hold out that they'll go back to the old autobuy and just get over it.  Internet tough guys, seriously. c:

Offline Sibsy

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #18: January 06, 2009, 05:07:03 PM»
luckily the milk truck comes around every morning to send assholes to the emergency room

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #19: January 06, 2009, 06:03:27 PM»
I spoke directly to someone who is known for doing this, who will also not be named, and they told me directly they do it because they do like to milk it for all it's worth and if they can get more, they will. I think that type of person isn't worth even associating with outside the trade ring. Especially when this person tried to pull this greed bull shit on their friend. Happy days are not here again. #SC

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #20: January 06, 2009, 06:04:56 PM»
Quote from: "Mychelle"
I got the wood, you get the gasoline.

I also had to walk to get the gas, for my car is in the shop, hence the DeLaY. Score for paying $1.42/Gal! \o/

Offline Emeraude

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #21: January 06, 2009, 06:11:20 PM»
I spoke directly to someone who is known for doing this, who will also not be named, and they told me directly they do it because they do like to milk it for all it's worth and if they can get more, they will. I think that type of person isn't worth even associating with outside the trade ring. Especially when this person tried to pull this greed bull shit on their friend. Happy days are not here again. #SC

i agree with you.

and Wonka, trying to justify being a total ass just emphasizes the fact you're a big fat bulbous one. in fact, so big if a milk truck was en route you'd surely be a goner. so spare me.

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #22: January 06, 2009, 06:44:07 PM»
Quote from: "Wonka"

But seriously, on topic:  I think that people just do it because they want to try and get more...errr..how would you say....buck for their bang?
 Most of the time if you just remain firm on your offer they'll sell it to you for the old autobuy as long as you dont pitch a fit about it.
Sometimes people just get generally decide an alt is worth more, which would be a case of "wrong decision at the worst possible time".  
 In all honesty, its theirs to sell and if they dont give it to you for what you offer, what're you going to do?  Nothing, and that's all you can do.  Best thing would be to hold out that they'll go back to the old autobuy and just get over it.  Internet tough guys, seriously. c:

Setting an AB and having it met, in some sight is a verbal contract in itself. Deviating and being a total dick and raising the AB AFTER (key word.) it is met not only breaks a verbal contract, but it makes you look like a total puss. ABs are set for a reason. If you want more than stated, then you shouldn't set one at all, imo.
Common sense, curtesy, and knowledge isn't a strong point on this forum for some people, is it?

Offline Altria

Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #23: January 06, 2009, 08:10:51 PM»

Setting an AB and having it met, in some sight is a verbal contract in itself. Deviating and being a total dick and raising the AB AFTER (key word.) it is met not only breaks a verbal contract, but it makes you look like a total puss. ABs are set for a reason. If you want more than stated, then you shouldn't set one at all, imo.
Common sense, curtesy, and knowledge isn't a strong point on this forum for some people, is it?

i completely agree with you. someone upped an AB on me just the other day and i was like "now i know how kangaroo felt." if you wanted that amount then you should have set the autobuy to that amount! goddamn.

Mythical

• Topic Author
Why do people up ABs?
«Reply #24: January 06, 2009, 08:45:04 PM»
Quote from: "Haruno Sakura"

i completely agree with you. someone upped an AB on me just the other day and i was like "now i know how kangaroo felt." if you wanted that amount then you should have set the autobuy to that amount! goddamn.

Empathy is amazing.

supersaver