supersaver

Author Topic: Alt Creation = Anger?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Aleu

Alt Creation = Anger?
«: November 27, 2008, 12:19:30 PM»
This is not a personal account, I've had it happen to me and several of my friends, and I want some opinions on the matter.

You know what I don't understand? When you make an alt someone has wanted, or someone had for a while, but let expire, and then they go and get pissed off at you? For example, you make the alt Bob, which someone wanted. You go and check the Unarchived Alt Listing, and you see someone was looking for Bob! Now, lets say you like Bob but you don't really want to keep him? And you offer it up to them. I've had people get pissed off at you over just that. But some people take the alt, right?

Then they say info, and see that it was made that day or another day, and they freaking harass you over whispers? I mean what the hell? I've had, and I'm sure at least one of you has had that happen, and they're all 'you ripped me off wtf you made this alt today wtf!?!".

Does it really matter? Someone is willing to offer YOU an alt YOU want and they made it before YOU did. Now that they own the alt, unless you hack it or some shit like that, you're not getting it unless they let it expire or you actually do the trade with them. Why do people get so pissed off about that? Is it because they're jealous they didn't get it first and now they have to pay for it? Some people even expect you to gift the alt to them as common niceness (and some people do), I mean really?

If you was lucky enough to snag the alt, and nice enough to hand it over, why does that make ME the bad guy?

Offline Harley

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #1: November 27, 2008, 01:22:28 PM»
People are stupid.  Simple as that.  Who cares what day it was made?  Why does it matter if it was made today?  That shouldn't have any bearing on its price.  They're just pissed off that they didn't make it and had to pay for it when, if they had just logged on two minutes before you and made it, they would've had it all along.

Lovedoll

Re: Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #2: November 27, 2008, 02:07:27 PM»
Quote from: "Grimmy"
If you was lucky enough to snag the alt, and nice enough to hand it over, why does that make ME the bad guy?

Because you made it so you could sell it, knowing the other person wanted that alt badly. It's debatable as to whether that's right or wrong, but if you think about it, people have a right to be pissed off if that's how you try to make a profit. It's not entirely honest.

Joel

«Reply #3: November 27, 2008, 02:15:11 PM»
Quote from: "Starri"

Because you made it so you could sell it, knowing the other person wanted that alt badly. It's debatable as to whether that's right or wrong, but if you think about it, people have a right to be pissed off if that's how you try to make a profit. It's not entirely honest.

You'd think if they wanted the alt so much that they would attempt to create it before putting it in the unarchieved section.

hymn

«Reply #4: November 27, 2008, 04:36:29 PM»
This is not a personal account, I've had it happen to me and several of my friends, and I want some opinions on the matter.

You know what I don't understand? When you make an alt someone has wanted, or someone had for a while, but let expire, and then they go and get pissed off at you? For example, you make the alt Bob, which someone wanted. You go and check the Unarchived Alt Listing, and you see someone was looking for Bob! Now, lets say you like Bob but you don't really want to keep him? And you offer it up to them. I've had people get pissed off at you over just that. But some people take the alt, right?

Then they say info, and see that it was made that day or another day, and they freaking harass you over whispers? I mean what the hell? I've had, and I'm sure at least one of you has had that happen, and they're all 'you ripped me off wtf you made this alt today wtf!?!".

Does it really matter? Someone is willing to offer YOU an alt YOU want and they made it before YOU did. Now that they own the alt, unless you hack it or some shit like that, you're not getting it unless they let it expire or you actually do the trade with them. Why do people get so pissed off about that? Is it because they're jealous they didn't get it first and now they have to pay for it? Some people even expect you to gift the alt to them as common niceness (and some people do), I mean really?

i actually know the owner of the alt "bob". BUT ANYWAY, some people get touchy because theyre just rude.

Lovedoll

«Reply #5: November 27, 2008, 05:31:54 PM»
Quote from: "Joel"
You'd think if they wanted the alt so much that they would attempt to create it before putting it in the unarchieved section.

Not necessarily. Some names are on that thread for weeks, even months. It wouldn't surprise me if some people went through people's lists with the purpose to hope catching names that recently expired just to sell them back.

Can't expect someone to try and create an altname every single day for weeks when they hardly know if it was ported or not.

Joel

«Reply #6: November 27, 2008, 05:54:33 PM»
Quote from: "Starri"
Quote from: "Joel"

Not necessarily. Some names are on that thread for weeks, even months. It wouldn't surprise me if some people went through people's lists with the purpose to hope catching names that recently expired just to sell them back.

Can't expect someone to try and create an altname every single day for weeks when they hardly know if it was ported or not.

True.

Offline Aleu

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #7: November 27, 2008, 05:58:53 PM»
Thats a very good point, Starri, but I meant more so in the case that you made an alt, and then you happened to see someone wanted it; not that you troll though the archive section, and try every name possible to see if you can make one to sell back. I mean when people are nice enough to offer you an alt you want, though they would rather keep it themselves.

I've made alts I've really liked, but someone has been looking for them for a long time, and really wants it badly. And I offer to sell it to them, because I know they want it, but I really don't want to just give it away for free? It makes ME a bad person because I wanted to help them? x_X

I see what you mean completely. But since this is a debate board, heres my debate...

Either way, why should it matter? If you're making it to sell it, thats your own intention. People may see it as rude, but hell, the alt is yours now, you made it. There is no way they are getting it unless they wait for months and months. If they want it bad enough they'd pay for it or try to get it themselves. They have no right to be rude when you make an alt, even with the intentions to sell it. Thats the alt business.

Offline Mychelle

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #8: November 27, 2008, 07:00:32 PM»
I would say it really depends on the situation itself. One could say like its been going on, said person makes alt, sells alt to someone who wants it. But that might be only "half" the story.

First we need to look at what the alt-name is. Depending on its rarity I mean. Someone could want the alt "abcdefg" or want the alt "Angel". Now, if said person goes to the person wanting the alt "abcdefg" and attempts to sell them it for like $100+ or more SIMPLY on the reason that they wanted it, yeah, then I'd say the person who created it is being an ass. (Though if he wanted two or three dollars for it, that'd be another different story and fine in my book) On the other hand, you made the name "Angel", Im sorry but that alone would be a fairly good name to sell, and hell your doing the person a favor by even offering to sell it to them instead of keeping it yourself.

See my point?

I'd say, like I said before, it really does depend on the FULL situation at hand if its wrong or not.

But, to make a shorter answer I suppose, If someone makes an alt just to sell it to someone who wants it, hell, least Im getting an alt I want.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Hugo

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #9: November 27, 2008, 07:04:24 PM»
I paid 10GD for two alts that were made only the day before. The person had deliberately been looking at lists and making names, but you know what? I got the alts I wanted.

It was annoying for about five minutes but only because I didn't jump on it sooner. Now I'm happy as a clam skunk.

Offline MAU

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #10: November 27, 2008, 07:27:55 PM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
I paid 10GD for two alts that were made only the day before. The person had deliberately been looking at lists and making names, but you know what? I got the alts I wanted.

It was annoying for about five minutes but only because I didn't jump on it sooner. Now I'm happy as a clam skunk.

i second this so, so hard.

i just want my wanted alts; you could have made them 5 years or 5 minutes ago. i've had a few people get mad at me for this same thing and i really don't understand, i sold you one of your wanted alts (or at least offered it to you), didn't i?

Offline Jearu

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #11: November 27, 2008, 09:37:40 PM»
I've never done this or had it done to me but I can understand how annoying it must be to pay a decent amount for an alt just to find out that it was made the same day or whatever.. just to make a profit. I know a few people who do this constantly. I don't think it's fair but I'm not going to bitch if someone deliberately makes an alt, knowing that I want it, and then sell it to me. I just wasn't quick enough to create it myself, fair is fair.

Some people are just that greedy.

I do however get bitched at for listing DNB/NFT alts that people want, thinking that I purposefully created them.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Julie

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #12: November 28, 2008, 12:12:27 AM»
i honestly dont care if they create the alt. they made it, i didn't, but even if someone else had had it for a year or w/e i'd still end up paying for it (if they even wanted money)

as long as they dont jack up the price to something ungodly and be a complete ass about it

Offline Altria

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #13: November 28, 2008, 12:35:51 PM»
I think anyone who would get -that- upset over something so silly needs to take a step back and grow up a little. Like someone else said, if someone creates an alt you want before you, oh well. Too bad for you. I think that if they tried to sell it to you before anyone else, it would be a favor more than anything. They could totally disregard your want for the alt and sell it to someone else.

Like Lord said though, if they were to jack up the price ridiculously, that would be really low and probably piss me off because I know they're doing it deliberately.

Bam

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #14: November 28, 2008, 12:52:30 PM»
if you wanted the alt badly enough, you would have tried to create it more often, then. and if you want it badly enough, the creation date won't matter, either.
someone beat you to the punch: get over it. either buy it from them (since they're being nice enough to offer it to you) or forget about it entirely. stop projecting your anger on other people and grow up.

Doctor Pixel

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #15: November 29, 2008, 01:49:41 AM»
Quote from: "Bam"
if you wanted the alt badly enough, you would have tried to create it more often, then. and if you want it badly enough, the creation date won't matter, either.
someone beat you to the punch: get over it. either buy it from them (since they're being nice enough to offer it to you) or forget about it entirely. stop projecting your anger on other people and grow up.

YEA. What he said...

Shit happens. Life sucks.

Deal :3

Offline Billie

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #16: March 07, 2009, 11:43:52 PM»
back in 04 someone sold me my favorite alt.. i was desperately searching for the alt for some while, tried creating it many times and failed.. and one day i noticed it was up for bid! one of my friends made it (who is still my friend to this day..) just that day and was auctioning it.., knowing that i wanted the alt (i think LOL)

so i whispered my friend and was like MAN YOU GOTTA TRADE THIS TO ME YOU MADE IT IM SO HAPPY ..thinking that because we were friends i would kinda get off easy, but nope i payed basically all the digos i had hahah

whatever though it kinda ~*grinded my gears*~ that they made me pay a lot.... its all in the past now and i use that alt all day errydayyy

oh and it also bothered me that people i know and were acquainted with tried out-bidding me on that alt. ouch. BUT LOOK WHO GOT IT SUCKAAA

Offline Blot

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #17: March 08, 2009, 12:12:41 AM»
First of all: Your paying for a name.
If your willing to pay for a name, to pay for pixels on a game, then you obviously really want it. I know people who look at me and my alt trading like I'm an idiot.
While I haven't actually paid for any of my names and traded alt.s for alt.s when it comes to most, there are some names I would pay for if they were within my price range.
You wanted it, and you have the chance to get it.
Don't like the fact that it was made the day before? Don't buy it. But then they have all right to sell it to someone else who may keep it for a long time.
If it's within your price range, and you want it, I don't see why the date has to matter at all. Sure, it may suck that they got to it before you, but hey, its how the chips fell. Now pay up or shut up.

Offline Billie

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #18: March 08, 2009, 12:17:50 AM»
hohoohooh miss ~*hardass*~
just wait until it happens to you one day :B

Offline Blot

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #19: March 08, 2009, 12:43:50 AM»

XD
I'm not to big on buying names. If it's more then 5$, I won't pay for it. I'd rather get a commission or such XD So it's not much of a big deal to me.

Offline anathema

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #20: March 08, 2009, 05:23:05 AM»
Quote from: "Twinkles"

XD
I'm not to big on buying names. If it's more then 5$, I won't pay for it. I'd rather get a commission or such XD So it's not much of a big deal to me.

and that is why you have no good names

Offline Blot

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #21: March 08, 2009, 04:38:19 PM»
and that is why you have no good names

They are good enough for me :)

Offline Hyorin

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #22: March 10, 2009, 07:29:35 PM»
Really you should only be annoyed at yourself for missing out the chance to create the alt yourself. You just weren't fast enough :(!!

Offline Billie

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #23: March 11, 2009, 10:25:14 PM»
Quote from: "Azalea"
Really you should only be annoyed at yourself for missing out the chance to create the alt yourself. You just weren't fast enough :(!!

some people have lives and dont create alts every hour on the hour bro

Offline Hyorin

Alt Creation = Anger?
«Reply #24: March 12, 2009, 05:22:05 PM»
Quote from: "Billie"
Quote from: "Azalea"

some people have lives and dont create alts every hour on the hour bro

Yeah I'd be worried if someone was trying to create their alt on an hourly basis too.