supersaver

Author Topic: Rape?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline kitten

Rape?
«: November 25, 2008, 06:05:18 PM»
Some cool people came on this thread and completely defeated the point of it. But instead made their opinion, fact.~

I guess after all its fun to jump in a conversation on a public forum with, DO YOU WANNA GET RAPED BY A HOT PERSON???

Lock this thread, before some more cool people trail along.

Offline D o t

Rape?
«Reply #1: November 25, 2008, 06:07:38 PM»
hi
amen
sorry i was eating brownies hence the quick reply agreeing with ol' kit here.
anyways yea. talking about rape as an everyday activity or as if it were one is sort of ....awkward. Despite it being text some people may take it rather serious. I mean I can understand the occassionall funny and humorous little topic regarding rape, but when it lasts as if it were a daily necessity then it is a bit out of the line and it just loses its humor.

Offline Zodiac

Rape?
«Reply #2: November 25, 2008, 06:08:38 PM»
Quote from: "Hoot"
hi
amen

Being this is the IN DEPTH TALK forum, if you want to participate you should be posting more.

Offline Kat

Rape?
«Reply #3: November 25, 2008, 06:19:57 PM»
i agree with you whole-heartedly (babe<3)

rape isn't a joke, and it isn't funny, and it's ESPECIALLY not a game. i don't see how the implications of someone being abused can be even slightly humorous. someone throwing the term rape around like it's nothing can't always be expected to be received with open arms, there's always going to be at least one person who's offended by it. this is a community, and EVERYONE'S feelings need to be taken into consideration, not just yours.

Offline Creek

Rape?
«Reply #4: November 25, 2008, 06:22:52 PM»
I also agree.

Me almost being raped years ago, i just cant stand the implications of rape on a game, or on thread topics. Its not something fun to go through, its not fun to witness, to be a part of. It's horrible, its life scarring. Rape is serious, not some joke. Its not a term that should be tossed around so freely and openly as it is. It bothers me completely. And i know I'm not the only one.
I NO LONGER LOG ONTO FURCADIA

Erde

Rape?
«Reply #5: November 25, 2008, 06:35:48 PM»
I hate when people are like, "omg!!! *rapes you* <3333"

It's not funny.

Making a joke about someone getting raped isn't funny.

I admit, my friends and I use it as a short way to say "The shit's about to hit the fan," but we really mean it as a hugely negative side effect.

I just don't think it's a term that should be thrown around as loosely as it is, especially since there might actually be someone in the area who has experienced rape.

Offline MAU

Rape?
«Reply #6: November 25, 2008, 06:42:03 PM»
rape
1   /reɪp/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [reyp]
noun, verb, raped, rap⋅ing.
–noun
1.    the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2.    any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
3.    statutory rape.
4.    an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

referring to rape sans sexual connotations doesn't bother me, and i don't feel threatened by the semantics of the word. for example, "molestation" can also refer to interfering or annoying someone, and not necessarily something sexual.

i understand it's a sensitive subject for most people, and is thus something i wouldn't bring up in casual conversation (who would, honestly. i mean i know people do, but).

i also haven't seen any predominant "rape" threads or discussions on FAM/FAZ, aside from this other in-depth topic, which might be worth a read as this seems to be something you- and others- are concerned by.

while i don't openly discuss rape in jest, i personally have no problem with non-consensual scenes in roleplay as i believe it's just that: roleplay, and nothing more. of course, i'm sure people are going to disagree with me and that's fine; it's my own personal preference a discussion for another day. i'm generally under the impression that if an involved storyline logically calls for something, i'll go along with it for the sake of believability/continuity so long as everyone partaking in said plot is in agreement with the content and its handling.

furcadia also doesn't have as lax a stance on the subject as you may think, for those uninformed:

Quote from: "The Guardians: Rules and Policies"
4. You may not use any offensive, sexually explicit, racially offensive or hateful language in family-oriented maps. Racially offensive or hateful language is not allowed even on adult maps, and the word rape or any variations thereof (raping, raped, rapist, rapeable, etc.) are not permitted ANYWHERE in Furcadia.

Offline Fallon

Rape?
«Reply #7: November 25, 2008, 06:53:08 PM»
I am sorry if I have offended some people on one of my posts, which I shall admit that I did post something about rape.  :(

I agree with Hoot that it could be used in a jokingly way once in a while but not on a daily basis. Rape is a serious subject to be discussed and should only be discussed in a serious way other than the once in a while joke. Again, I am sorry if I have offended anyone who reads the "Would your rather game" thread.

Edit: I know it is not pointing fingers, I should thought it would be better if I apologized for anything I may have said to offend anyone playing Furcadia and looking at FAM.

Offline kitten

Rape?
«Reply #8: November 25, 2008, 06:55:35 PM»
Quote from: "Compact"
I am sorry if I have offended some people on one of my posts, which I shall admit that I did post something about rape.  :(

I agree with Hoot that it could be used in a jokingly way once in a while but not on a daily basis. Rape is a serious subject to be discussed and should only be discussed in a serious way other than the once in a while joke. Again, I am sorry if I have offended anyone who reads the "Would your rather game" thread.

This was not posted to point fingers at you so i hope you dont see this in that way. I just feel it should be set to having a limit you cannot cross. Thanks so much for posting <3

Joel

Rape?
«Reply #9: November 25, 2008, 07:01:27 PM»
Quote from: "Hoot"
hi
amen
sorry i was eating brownies hence the quick reply agreeing with ol' kit here.
anyways yea. talking about rape as an everyday activity or as if it were one is sort of ....awkward. Despite it being text some people may take it rather serious. I mean I can understand the occassionall funny and humorous little topic regarding rape, but when it lasts as if it were a daily necessity then it is a bit out of the line and it just loses its humor.

I agree. It's not meant to be a personal attack to whoever may take it so, when it's used once in a while. But using it on a daily basis is sort of .. strange. I'm not really sure about you, but tbh, I do not see it being utilized on a daily basis. lol.

The fact that it's on the internet is what makes it that much less serious. I personally think it's taken a little too serious, even though that may not be their intention.

Considering someone I know was banned on an alt for just joking around with it.

But to an extent...

(also this post isn't directing to anyone, just stating an opinion. and it also isn't meant to offend anyone. x:)

Shaybay

Rape?
«Reply #10: November 25, 2008, 08:46:00 PM»
I'm not posting this to be rude or anything, like stated in Kit's created thread post, just posting opinions.

I know a lot of women IRL that go into being 'raped', and I now have a hard time deciphering which are true and which are for attention. - My BF's sister once got his friend thrown in jail simply because he hadn't bought her this item she wanted, and she convinced their cousin to say that he raped her too. All in the end it was a lie, and that guy got wasted in jail for several years.

Another encounter was my best friend a few years back, she not only claimed to be raped by one of my friends but also that her dad beat her. Come to find out after a long talk and a lot of convincing, that she was never raped or beaten, just trying to get more love from her dad (who didn't beat her to begin with), and so forth. I had actually given her an address to go to, a safe place, because she was my best friend and I didn't want her molested or beaten. She stayed there for a few months, and then she called her mom, trying to get her mom to get custody of her. It worked, but after all that she finally told me the truth. (as I said after a lot of talk and convincing).

I'm not saying every victim is a liar, because there are some out there that have actually had bad experiences with this stuff, but it does make it hard to believe when it happens so often, and then come to find out it never did. You have to consider the woman that do it for attention or just because they don't get their way. It happens a lot.

Offline Jearu

Rape?
«Reply #11: November 25, 2008, 09:01:43 PM»
I personally do not give a shit how the word is used because I can tell the difference between a joke and a serious.. meaning?

It offends some people, makes some uncomfortable, brings up horrible memories, or whatever. But what doesn't nowadays? Rape is obviously something that shouldn't be taken lightly but I'm not going to feel sorry for using it jokingly (I rarely do it) just because it upsets someone.

To me it's just another word.

I get more upset or bothered by people using the word "Gay" when referring to something uncool or stupid  or anything outside of the meaning "Merry or cheerful" than I do by someone going "omg *rapes*"
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Narnia

Rape?
«Reply #12: November 25, 2008, 09:05:50 PM»
In all reality, if you have an issue with the content posted on this site it is best to bring it directly to the attention of the moderators so that they can make a decision about its appropriateness or discus it with the rest of the staff.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Lovedoll

Rape?
«Reply #13: November 25, 2008, 09:07:56 PM»
Rape by itself is not a bad or offensive word. The context it is used in is extremely important if you want to call a proper judgment on it.

For example, if you share with people, in public, how 'awesome' it was that your character was raped in a roleplay last night, it's extremely tasteless and offensive towards people who dealt with rape in real life. When rape is used to define sexual intercourse against someone's will, fiction or reality, it is offensive and hurtful for a lot of people.

But when we speak of a beat up sofa that looks like "it got raped the shit out of", getting upset over such a statement means you're simply too sensitive. It's a sofa, and the term rape was used to describe the poor condition it is in. It didn't refer to unwanted sexual intercourse whatsoever.

There are tons of other examples that fit in this. I personally don't want to hear about rape used in the former context; whether it's you, your friend or your character that got raped, I don't want to hear it and I certainly don't want to hear jokes pertaining it. When it comes to anything else though, I will be the last to say I find it offensive that you raped my couch. Creepy, yeah. Offensive? Not really.

Offline Frog

Rape?
«Reply #14: November 25, 2008, 09:08:47 PM»
I was once one of those victims. But I'm not going to bash someone who uses the word rape. Now a days there's different meanings to it. Well, internet wise, anyway.

Personally, I do care about it to an extent. if someone on furc/online (whichever, i don't care) mentions it, it's whatever.
But for my personal experience, I've had people tell me to go get raped because I deserve it. That, I will take offense to concidering they have no right to say something like that. But if someone where to go "ZMG; BANDIT *raperaperape* I'm all whatever.

I'unno. Just my tidbit.

Offline Sibsy

Rape?
«Reply #15: November 25, 2008, 09:15:11 PM»
ok if you get upset over rape on the net, you're not mature enough to be on here.

there will always be offensive things on the web and on furcadia but it's just that, text. rape is no joke irl but when people get upset over it because someone brought it up, it's laughable.

i'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or be an asshole but i mean, christ. i find humor in serious matters that effect me and it's soothing, in a sense, to me -- if someone else gets mad, it's not my problem. so i'll joke about it if i want to, if you don't like it, by all means put me on ignore.

i had this issue with someone in a dream i was staff in, i had mentioned rape (when it pertains to a certain conversation) and i was snapped at because i used the word, indulged in conversation about it, and it was "against the rules". i was annoyed, because i will not hinder my conversations just because it does not cater to someone elses feelings and it was a master/slave dream (TGT, if anyone wants to know) which they roleplayed in. they were getting upset over something that, i suppose in private, occurred alot & they probably roleplayed it too. (they rp'd a pimp, lol irony).

it's ridiculous, imho.

Lovedoll

Rape?
«Reply #16: November 25, 2008, 10:13:30 PM»
If it's against the rules, it's against the rules. That has nothing to do with the mention rape by itself. It could have been about anything after all.

I do find it bothersome when people discuss how their character was raped, in detail, and then make it out to be the best thing that happened since they found Furcadia. It's not that I disapprove of what they do, or why they do it, or whatever. But it's not just that person who is there to hear it, but also many, many others. To be selfish and ignore the wishes of others because YOU think it's okay isn't exactly a mature way to deal with it.

Respect is very important in my opinion, and if you ignore another person's opinion because you don't think it's important... well, it says a lot about who you are as a person, to me, you know? One thing about having a mature attitude is to at least try and understand others' positions. As much as people need to stop overreacting on the subject, others need to show some understanding on their part too. Which doesn't always happen.

Offline Sibsy

Rape?
«Reply #17: November 25, 2008, 11:57:39 PM»
i'm not someone who will bend over backwards to be nice & thoughtful to those who are ill mannered when it comes to certain situations. if you do not like the conversation, you're more than welcome to place people on ignore or move away but if you're so inclined to ask someone to drop the subject, you can be nice about it and maybe they'll do so.

but i'm not going to kiss someone's feet just because i indirectly upset them or hurt their feelings.

we are all aware that rape isn't something that you just randomly chitchat about, and in the circumstance i had with this patron, it didn't involve necessarily a character. it was brought up, so i gave my two cents, simply because it was "against the rules" does not mean shit to me. lol

i am very respectful when it comes to things, we all have our priorities and if you honestly have a problem with the subject of rape or it being talked about, then maybe you should call up Lifetime and tell them to stop making tv movies about it.

Offline Hugo

Rape?
«Reply #18: November 26, 2008, 12:43:36 AM»
I don't think it has anything to do with 'bending over backwards'. I think the OP is just upset by people using the sexual meaning of rape in casual conversation at times when it can't be easily discerned as a joke.

I mean it's basically the equivalent of going into an area with some of your pals and posting *rapes Lucy and forces Lucy to birth fiteen babies while keeping her in a basement.* and then laughing about it afterward. Now, while I realize not all uses of the word rape connote to the violent act of assaulting a woman, but almost every instance I've seen of the people who use the word are in fact using the word in that way.

It's just not cool. Like running around the internet flinging racial slurs.

You don't have to try extra hard to be nice, just have some basic decency. Have some class.

Offline Sibsy

Rape?
«Reply #19: November 26, 2008, 12:46:24 AM»
i guess i'm just someone who doesn't care nor isnt bothered by most things, it's text. that's it.

some people just need to get thicker skin.

hymn

Rape?
«Reply #20: November 26, 2008, 12:54:58 AM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
It's just not cool. Like running around the internet flinging racial slurs.

funny thing is, i see this way more than the word rape, and you dont see the black or hispanic or asian players getting all hiped up about it. i tend to agree with sibs. if it bothers you, move. ive got a right to say what i want, regardless of what others think of it. if you get upset over something someone on the internet says, gtfo the interwebs imo. maturity is a two-way street. have the maturity to take someones opinion at face value and dont get your panties in a twist over it.

Offline lolo

Rape?
«Reply #21: November 26, 2008, 12:58:57 AM»
Sibsy:
pretty sure you also enforced the NO R-WORD rule numerous times inside the dream you were staff in.
you are/were liu, right?

hymn

Rape?
«Reply #22: November 26, 2008, 01:01:15 AM»
Quote from: "Kit"
Quote from: "Katy"
funny thing is, i see this way more than the word rape, and you dont see the black or hispanic or asian players getting all hiped up about it. i tend to agree with sibs. if it bothers you, move. ive got a right to say what i want, regardless of what others think of it. if you get upset over something someone on the internet says, gtfo the interwebs imo.

Your straying off-topic. Read the thread before posting. We are talking ON FAM, there for moving away and or using the ignore command is not an option.

Thanks for you opinions guys.

rape is in your TITLE. seriously, if "rape" offends someone to such a degree that it seriously makes them uncomfortable, why would they even click this? thats Ignoring on FAM 101.

Offline Sibsy

Rape?
«Reply #23: November 26, 2008, 01:01:31 AM»
regardless of where it's posted, it's still the internet. people are going to say what they want regardless of how you feel about it.

joke about it, talk about it, do as you please. it's not like they're going out and actually raping someone or forcing you to watch someone being raped.

it's text, like i said before.

rape is in your TITLE. seriously, if "rape" offends someone to such a degree that it seriously makes them uncomfortable, why would they even click this? thats Ignoring on FAM 101.

agreed. i dont think no one is advocating "rape" as an okay thing but really, step back for a second and read what you're talking about.[/quote]

Offline kitten

Rape?
«Reply #24: November 26, 2008, 01:01:32 AM»
Quote from: "katy"
funny thing is, i see this way more than the word rape, and you dont see the black or hispanic or asian players getting all hiped up about it. i tend to agree with sibs. if it bothers you, move. ive got a right to say what i want, regardless of what others think of it. if you get upset over something someone on the internet says, gtfo the interwebs imo. maturity is a two-way street. have the maturity to take someones opinion at face value and dont get your panties in a twist over it.

Your straying off-topic. Read the thread before posting. We are talking ON FAM, there for moving away and or using the ignore command is not an option.

Thanks for you opinions guys.