supersaver

Author Topic: If God be for us, who can be against us?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Militant

If God be for us, who can be against us?
«: September 30, 2008, 08:46:33 PM»
Not planning on really debating nothing,  but I was just wondering how many of people here believe in God? Seems like the vast majority of people don't any more. I, personally, have been raised in a pretty Christian society so I do believe in God. What about you?
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Offline Sync

«Reply #1: September 30, 2008, 08:47:43 PM»
i don't.

Offline anathema

«Reply #2: September 30, 2008, 08:55:02 PM»
christianity is not the only religion out there, you know. people believe in other things besides your lol asshole god.

also, i don't believe in any higher powers. :'3

Offline ali

«Reply #3: September 30, 2008, 09:22:57 PM»
Quote from: "Militant"
Not planning on really debating nothing

why is it in the in depth thing then...?

i kind of believe in god i guess.

Offline Harley

«Reply #4: September 30, 2008, 09:44:22 PM»
There's probably something.  I call it karma.

Offline ali

«Reply #5: September 30, 2008, 09:55:06 PM»
Quote from: "Toushin"
There's probably something.  I call it karma.

i too, believe in karma. karma for the win.

Offline Militant

«Reply #6: September 30, 2008, 10:14:07 PM»
Quote from: "Morgan"
christianity is not the only religion out there, you know. people believe in other things besides your lol asshole god.

Yes, I'm aware... I's just saying that that's a reason why I'm a firm believer... cause I was brought up in a strong Christian household. not saying that the only people who believe in God are Christians. I'm assuming anyone brought up in an practicing Jewish household'd believe in God as well.. as would other religions....
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Offline lolo

«Reply #7: September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM»
i believe in harry potter

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #8: September 30, 2008, 10:28:22 PM»
I dont "follow" the teachings of "god" as far as Christians, baptists, ect goes.

As far as I am concerned, I cant prove they are real. I cant prove they are false either. I'll make my own decisions in life, the way I see fit. Not because some higher being might be watching me and telling me to do good or bad.

If there really is a higher being watching me, I'd like to believe that he or she would prefer me to do "good" based on my own personal morals. Not because Im scared to go to a place like "hell" when I die.

Edit - I guess the jist of what I'm saying is, I cant believe or not believe in something I cant prove via facts.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #9: September 30, 2008, 10:45:29 PM»
Quote from: "cannibal"
i believe in harry potter

Quote from: "Zim"
If you have nothing intelligent to post, then don't.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #10: September 30, 2008, 11:07:42 PM»
I'm agnostic.

Offline Jearu

«Reply #11: October 01, 2008, 12:11:29 AM»
What Mych said.
Wanting life owl, woolie, rabben, and classics.

Offline Mala

«Reply #12: October 01, 2008, 10:11:10 AM»
my parents have two different religions and have never passed them on me. my dad is a muslim, and my mum is a buddhist, and they've always told me to follow whatever i wanted.

right now, i don't follow any religion, i believe that there is something (or many things!) that are god/goddess-like that are 'watching over us' or whatever bs people say.

and karma! c:

Offline SULLY

«Reply #13: October 01, 2008, 04:58:28 PM»
i believe in love and being kind and not flapping your gaping hole incessantly about whatever "absolute truth" you beat off to at night. as long as someone doesn't try to recruit me, i don't fault them for their beliefs. i have a sinking feeling that by god you mean your god, militant, and i also have a feeling that people not believing in your god is what's at the root of this post. sorry, but different strokes for different folks. i was pretty sure being a christian was about being nice to people but that clearly isn't the case for a whole lot of devout christians. well, they are nice to people who believe the same shit. that's what i don't understand about organized religion... why so exclusive? do you know all the terrible shit that's been done in the name of "god?" i think god probably gave up on peeping at us through the clouds a long time ago.

this is probably off-topic and someone will probably carefully remind me of the guidelines to this forum so i will end with: no i do not believe there is a man in the sky.

Offline Militant

«Reply #14: October 01, 2008, 05:13:09 PM»
Yes, I mean my God. But if the answer's no to that question, people are free to say what they do believe in. I didn't say only post if you believe in the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God. If yall believe in multiple gods or another monotheistic God, it's not a bother to me... I's just wondering is all.

Offline Eevee

«Reply #15: October 01, 2008, 05:39:43 PM»
I was considering religion but I find it hard to believe in God when people say God loves all of His children and then proceed to say homosexuality is a sin and every homosexual is going to Hell even if they have the kindest heart.

I also gave up when my dad was trying to force us to go to church with him. The problem was that his church thinks very ill of those who are not their religion. If you don't follow their beliefs, you aren't even worth the dirt you walk on. You're just a piece of trash and a waste of space to them.

Then there's those people who go out and force their religion on others in fear if they don't recruit alot of people into their religion they'll be casted into Hell when they die and get probed by the devil for all eternity.

The way I feel is, as long as you love people with all your heart and help others out of kindness instead of out of greediness for a reward, not to mention respect what others believe and don't believe in, you'll be ok. We can't prove there's a higher being watching over us, and we can't prove there isn't a higher being watching over us.

Why worry about what that higher being(s) thinks of you, when we could be taking care of each others' health and happiness?

as a note, if God or Gods/Goddesses exist, They probably despise us with how trashy the Earth has become, and how quite alot of us throw unwanted children into orphanages or kick out unwanted pets like an old broken toy into the garbage.

Sb

«Reply #16: October 01, 2008, 08:30:10 PM»
I'm very skeptical about religion. Like, I don't believe in there being a heaven or hell but, I believe that there may be a god out there. It's hard to explain my points of view but one thing I do believe in is Reincarnation.

Offline Cristina

«Reply #17: October 02, 2008, 10:32:11 AM»
Religion is such a touchy and controversial debate. When it all comes down to it, what you believe is what you believe. I believe in God, or a higher power, and even though I was raised by Christian parents, I can't really consider myself a Christian.

My problem with religion is the fact that its all about interpretation. People 'interpret' the bible different ways, and different denominations or churches might have their own interpretations of what the bible is saying. For one person to say their interpretation is right and someone elses is wrong, is unfair in my eyes. Who is right?

One of my issues with Christianity is homosexuality. According to the bible, homosexuality is a 'sin'. There are many things that are 'sins', and we are supposed to ask forgiveness for our sins. God expects us to sin, and Christians are supposed to recognize themselves as sinners. So, from what I see, its okay to be gay and still a christian, as long as you dont mind viewing the way you are as a sin and you accept yourself as a sinner. Either way, if you believe in God and love God and follow God, then I dont see how someone whos gay and does all these things would be 'condemed to hell'. Christianity teaches about tolerance and love, so it doesnt make any sense why any church or denomination would claim that being gay is condemnable to hell.

There way too much debate about religion for my liking.

Digital Love

«Reply #18: October 02, 2008, 10:40:43 AM»
My opinion has pretty much been stated already. All I can say on the topic of religion is how sad and frustrated it makes me feel how people exploit religion to do wrong to others. The hypocrisy, the abuse. How people can say God is the one who judges, but then they verbally and even physically condemn and abuse people 'in his name'.

I refuse to believe in something that is used in such a horrible manner. I'd rather not believe in God at all than represent a religion that harms people more than it loves.

A religion or god is not needed for me to live my life as a good person. A religion is not needed to know that the only way to be a good person is to learn from the bad I do.

Senny

«Reply #19: October 02, 2008, 11:26:34 AM»
No, to the mainstream 'Gods'.
Yes, to a very, very old religion Goddess. Think the original Mother Goddess and you're along the right lines. But as very little evidence is around about *how* such a goddess was worshipped, it's open for speculation and personal inventiveness.

I reckon people should be allowed to choose, like a lot of people have said. Whatever you choose, so long as you don't try and ram it down peoples necks, is whatever your little heart desires  :lol:

Sookan

«Reply #20: October 02, 2008, 02:01:41 PM»
i don't believe in any god.
i also don't believe that there's anything after you die. nothing to speak of, at least. you might still exist, but i don't know as to whether i'd want to, after i'm dead and have nothing left.

reincarnation sounds nice.

Offline Hyorin

«Reply #21: October 02, 2008, 03:03:01 PM»
I have a personal relationship with God that doesn't extend to the church, since the church I used to go to was run by dirty priests (I stopped going after I overheard them complaining that they were not receiving much money from many of their mass attenders). I read a lot of the Bible and pray by myself. It may not be considered true Christianity but I've lost a lot of trust in priests.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with other gods. As long as you're happy with what you believe in, I'm happy for you.

Also, Bentham... 'mainstream' gods made me giggle a little x)

Offline Cardali

«Reply #22: October 02, 2008, 03:48:44 PM»
i'm agnostic myself, however i believe their may be a higher power out there, perhaps not 'god' but something.
i'm also a firm believer in karma and reincarnation.

Offline Militant

«Reply #23: October 02, 2008, 04:50:50 PM»
Quote from: "Cristina"

My problem with religion is the fact that its all about interpretation.

One of my issues with Christianity is homosexuality.

I agree with your two points there. Interpretation is how things like the current Jihad happen... But that's probably more just good people VS bad people. If you're a decent person, you'd not interpret scriptures as an excuse for violence or exclusion. As for the homosexuality thing, I don't mind homosexuals. They don't bother me none, so I don't necessarily agree with them being ostracized.

Offline Julie

«Reply #24: October 06, 2008, 10:12:05 AM»
im atheist..

however i do find conversations about religions to be interesting.

the different views and such can open your mind about things