supersaver

Author Topic: Reselling Alts  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Spar

Reselling Alts
«: August 10, 2008, 08:32:50 PM»
I just had to post this topic, because I see it happening all the time. I don't just mean reselling; I'm talking about when an alt is sold literally RIGHT after it's bought.

For example, a few days ago, a certain person (who will remain unnamed) bought a ported alt off of me, it must be only six days tops. Since then, it's gone through two more owners that I know of, and was sold for much more than the original price I had it up for. I notice that this happens to a lot of people, but I've had this happen before too. There are arguements for and against it. After all, once you sell an alt, it belongs fully to the other person, so technically they're not doing anything wrong.

I'm mostly curious as to your opinions on the matter.
Contacts: Sevon, Reshiram, Malachi.

Offline Eevee

Reselling Alts
«Reply #1: August 10, 2008, 08:39:38 PM»
It annoys me but nothing can be done I suppose, unless the person you traded the alt to still has it and is willing to do a trade-back.

I just don't see the point in buying an alt if you're just going to sell it again right after.

I've had this happen several times out of the few sales I have done through the years. I sell an alt, they say its not leaving them because they like it, I look back and its already sold. It kind of breaks my heart because I thought they'd do some good with the alt.

Then there's alts that are constantly bought and sold right after, most notably to mind, Lolo. I don't know why but I feel bad for that alt. Its a cute name and has a cute port/design, but I've seen it go from person to person too many times and I was gonna buy it the last time I saw it up for sale but I didn't have anything to offer. I would have saved it from being passed around more.

Offline Hugo

Reselling Alts
«Reply #2: August 10, 2008, 08:51:52 PM»
I'm totally for this as long as you didn't make any agreements with the old owner.

Make a profit off pixels? Cool beans, man.

Offline Sync

Reselling Alts
«Reply #3: August 10, 2008, 09:15:27 PM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
I'm totally for this as long as you didn't make any agreements with the old owner.

Make a profit off pixels? Cool beans, man.

yeah i agree.

i don't really buy alts if i'm just going to resell them anymore, though.

Offline Mychelle

Reselling Alts
«Reply #4: August 10, 2008, 09:33:51 PM»
What I dont understand really is...okay, Im called greedy because I own so many alts I dont wish to sell (yeah, and if I were to sell them I dont want to sell them for cheap, simply because I *DONT* really wish to sell them)...but its okay for other people to buy alts, and then re-sell them for higher, just for the sole purpose to make a profit off of pixels?
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Tony

Reselling Alts
«Reply #5: August 10, 2008, 10:18:55 PM»
It doesn't really bother me at all. It isn't your alt anymore, so the new owner can do whatever the hell they want with it. I know some people who are like "OMG IF I SELL YOU THIS, YOU CAN'T RESELL IT EVERRRRRRRRR" and I find it to be really stupid. Because it's like they still own the alt, but let you log onto it or something.

If you're scared that the alt is going to be passed around from owner to owner to owner, then don't sell it. Simple. If people want to bitch about you having an alt and refusing to sell it, then fuck them. It's your alt, not theirs. If you want to keep an alt, then keep it.

Anyway. If I sell an alt to somebody for $10, and they turn around and sell it for $20, then congrats to them. I'd still have 10 more dollars than I had before.

Offline Possessed

Reselling Alts
«Reply #6: August 10, 2008, 10:21:27 PM»
i wouldn't know considering all the alts are taken already COUGH COUGH.

:shock:
wat

Offline Tony

Reselling Alts
«Reply #7: August 10, 2008, 10:23:25 PM»
*freddieface*

Offline Mychelle

Reselling Alts
«Reply #8: August 10, 2008, 10:28:41 PM»
Quote from: "Possessed"
i wouldn't know considering all the alts are taken already COUGH COUGH.

:shock:

all your alts belong to us har-de-har-har
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Militant

Reselling Alts
«Reply #9: August 10, 2008, 11:05:53 PM»
I don't think it matters. You just shoulda sold it for more.  :lol:
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Offline Julie

Reselling Alts
«Reply #10: August 10, 2008, 11:24:50 PM»
though i do at times ask people not resell alts, is there really anything i can do about it if they do resell it? no.

if someone wants me not to resell their alt forever or for a certain time period, i'll respect that. because what good is you breaking their trust, if you expect people to hold yours?

of course if i were to resell these alts, i know a few owners would try to guilt me into not selling, or selling it back to them. but the alt is in my posession, and the decision would be entirely up to me. same if it was someone i had sold an alt to and they were reselling it.

Digital Love

Reselling Alts
«Reply #11: August 11, 2008, 12:05:53 AM»
It's really the new owner's business what to do with the alt, but I just can't picture what kind of feelings must possess you when you do that. I mean, Furcadia is a fun game and socializing area. You can make some money from it, but the general income is rather shallow and besides artwork commissions there's no real profit to use irl.

What's someone thinking when they buy an alt and sell it for double the price within 2 days? Oh wow, I can make 15 bucks off this alt?

And how do they get to sell it so fast for such a high price when the chances are that alt has been listed in a thread for weeks without interest?

I guess the process behind this concept is a bit lost to me, because I don't get why someone would go through all this trouble. I also don't get how they resell so fast and really high. If someone really wanted that alt they'd haven gotten it for less money, not more. o_O

Offline Hugo

Reselling Alts
«Reply #12: August 11, 2008, 01:02:09 AM»
Ask Morgan, she's a master at this sort of thing. Buys alts, ports them, stuffs them with art, and sells them for sparkling prices.

More often than not, there's really no effort put into these things, people just like to buy status symbols and they always will. Like the fantasy football rings being sold for thousands of dollars in my area. People are buying them so they can go around pretending to be football stars.

The system seems to work, so people will keep on truckin'. Or altin'. Or whatever the appropriate term would be.

Offline Hyorin

Reselling Alts
«Reply #13: August 11, 2008, 07:43:14 AM»
Although I do like to see when an alt is being used properly, I tend not to enforce rules upon the new owner such as 'don't sell for a certain time period'. Though these sort of rules DO encourage you to actually put an alt to good use, the alt really isn't mine anymore so I don't really care. I think it's great that people can make a profit simply from quickly porting an alt and then selling, because in the end as long as I have the GD /I/ had sold the alt for, I'm still happy. :lol:

Offline Casper

Reselling Alts
«Reply #14: August 11, 2008, 08:22:19 AM»
Ask Morgan, she's a master at this sort of thing. Buys alts, ports them, stuffs them with art, and sells them for sparkling prices.

More often than not, there's really no effort put into these things, people just like to buy status symbols and they always will. Like the fantasy football rings being sold for thousands of dollars in my area. People are buying them so they can go around pretending to be football stars.

The system seems to work, so people will keep on truckin'. Or altin'. Or whatever the appropriate term would be.

What people do with alts is their own decision. Morgan goes by the trial-and-error of finding names she'll keep and isn't the only one; I've got alts I've used and ported but have since lost interest in them / don't use them enough and I'm selling them now too. We don't need to go naming names.

If someone wants to make a profit, fine. Yeah, sometimes it's a piss-off, but if you're selling said name because you don't want it anymore then you really shouldn't be pitching a fit about what's done with it after.
Casper: I chopped off all my hair again.
Casper: It actually looks just like Casper's hair I realized.
Casper: Does this mean I'm a furry now.
Harley: lmfao
Harley: No it doesn't.

Offline Hugo

Reselling Alts
«Reply #15: August 11, 2008, 08:40:55 AM»
I never said it isn't their decision. I admire the fact that Morgan turns a profit which is why I named her. She has skill in many fields (the ports she puts on the alts are amazing by the way) which is why her alts sell. I think she enriches names before selling them and that's great.

Vince

Reselling Alts
«Reply #16: August 11, 2008, 08:45:46 AM»
i don't think discussing what morgan (and only morgan) does with her alts is part of the topic of this discussion.

Offline Casper

Reselling Alts
«Reply #17: August 11, 2008, 08:49:25 AM»
Quote from: "Taylor"
i don't think discussing what morgan (and only morgan) does with her alts is part of the topic of this discussion.

Which has been said, were you doing your reading.

Offline Casper

Reselling Alts
«Reply #18: August 11, 2008, 08:50:16 AM»
I never said it isn't their decision. I admire the fact that Morgan turns a profit which is why I named her. She has skill in many fields (the ports she puts on the alts are amazing by the way) which is why her alts sell. I think she enriches names before selling them and that's great.

Fair enough. You just sounded bitter so I wasn't sure.

But getting back on topic...

Vince

Reselling Alts
«Reply #19: August 11, 2008, 09:02:00 AM»
Quote from: "Casper"
Quote from: "Taylor"

Which has been said, were you doing your reading.

no sirree. momma neva told me to read.

anyhow... my stance on this consists of "whatever." honestly, it's the person's alt (but is it really? considering DEP owns the actual alt) and they can do whatever they want with said alt. i think it's a bit ridiculous to ask a person to tack on a contract.

and if someone wants to buy an alt and choose to allow it to "whore" around, then it's their problem. sure, it's hella annoying, but that's their problem. especially with the whole 6 months ownership thing.

Offline Emeraude

Reselling Alts
«Reply #20: August 11, 2008, 09:18:02 AM»
who cares, not me. if someone can sell my alt for more, it just shows i suck at marketing.

Offline Ashleigh

Reselling Alts
«Reply #21: August 11, 2008, 10:37:05 PM»
i've done that a few times, usually with alt-for-alt trades.

for example, i had this one alt... wasn't a real word name, the port wasn't too good, and it was a giant bitch to try and sell. one day someone posts their alt thread link asking me to check them for it. while the names they owned were nice and had some good ports, i didn't see anything i'd use personally. so i looked at the replies and asked to trade for the alt that had the most people interested in. they agreed and i slapped the sucker right back up for sale and got enough offers to make me happy.
i think i ended up trading the name for another nice one then sold that one off for some GD. i can't remember really. all i know is i ended up profitting from it.

it might make some people annoyed, but that's what happens when you alt trade. i wouldn't do it if i made an agreement not to sell the alt of course, but otherwise... why the hell not?

sesruc

Reselling Alts
«Reply #22: August 12, 2008, 11:20:41 AM»
i don't think it's wrong to resell an alt right after it's been bought.

if there weren't any verbal agreements to begin with (ex. if you buy an alt from me you have to wait a month to sell it) then you're the one at fault mostly.

when you're selling an alt you're also selling all the rights that come with it. and anyways. you sold the alt and made a profit. why can't anyone else do the same?

Offline Tonks

Reselling Alts
«Reply #23: August 12, 2008, 02:43:25 PM»
As it's been repeated over and over and over again..
You sold the alt, it's not yours, not your problem or decision anymore. You made the mistake in selling it if you don't want it bounced around, because even if you tell them not to sell it, 90% of the time they will.

Who cares at what point in time they sell it?

Mollie

Reselling Alts
«Reply #24: August 16, 2008, 01:48:10 PM»
an alt is an alt is an alt.
Buy em
Sell em
Use them
Its all up to whoever buys it, as you no longer have control over what goes on, as the trader who is selling the alt, just choose your bidders/traders wisely if you wish not to have the alt passed around, but dont nag them or harass them if they do. IT IS NOW THEIR ALT. Not yours. Be a dear.

supersaver