supersaver

Author Topic: Online Education  (Read 3921 times)

Offline SLASHERS.

Online Education
«: August 05, 2008, 04:15:46 PM»
What are your opinions on online education? I myself think it is unnesessary and well, stupid, unless you have a great fucking reason to go. Like, if you lived fifty miles away from the nearest school, you might consider home-schooling or online education. Or if people from school are constantly harrassing you or beating you up or something. and i know both of those circumstances are very possible. But people that take online schools just because they "dont wanna go" are fucking lazy and dont want to deal with the realities of being a human being. But anyway, I'm sure some of you may go to online schools, and you may have a different way of looking at it. so I was just curious as to what you people thought about it. and i'm not talking about online collages, cause i could see why you might be too busy with a job or something to go to a real collage, but you can talk about that too, if you want, i dont care. and I'm sorry if this seems like more of a rant than a serious question, i didnt mean for it to.. so anyway, go go go
you know what, if you don't like it, get on the internet and complain.

Offline Possessed

Online Education
«Reply #1: August 05, 2008, 04:22:50 PM»
shut up jonas brothers.

education is education.
wat

Offline Tonks

Online Education
«Reply #2: August 05, 2008, 04:30:13 PM»
I go to school online for several reasons.

Hate people. All people. Won't talk to any of them. Being 'forced' into an environment with a thousand screaming children with half a brain if you put them all together launches me into chronic depression and anger.

Major surgery on my ankles, I'm unable to go up three+ flights of stairs every day, and when I tried this, I was late to every single class and often times went home during the day and missed some important shit because the pain became unbearable.

My parents find online courses more 'flexible' and 'better' than public schools. Public schools are below my level most of the time and they don't teach anything logical.

We pay extra money to either get me a ride or put me in an after school program simply because we only have one working car and my mom works late hours, so she's unable to pick me up after school. We live too far away from the 'decent' schools for a bus to take me even close to home.

Chronic migraines are often triggered by the lights they use in most classrooms. I've gone home several times because of these migraines.

For some people it's a better environment. If you are more comfortable and it's a better learning environment for you, then I don't see any problem with it. If it's not, then it's not and you should go to public school. It's all about you as a person, just like anything else.

If it works for you, that's what you should do.

Vince

Online Education
«Reply #3: August 05, 2008, 04:38:15 PM»
i liked public school because i wouldn't have learned the psychology behind human interaction while i'm stuck at home. i love to know why some people act this way and why some act that way and so, really, it was a better environment for me. and with public education, i was able to interact myself and get different opinions, different musical interests, got friends, etc.

i couldn't sit behind my screen and get my diploma and be able to state my opinion and debate it with other students like i could in school. as misanthropic as i am, it's really an experience i couldn't get with online education.

it also taught me about discrimination, being proud of who are and whatnot.

online education just seems so... impersonal to me.

Offline Possessed

Online Education
«Reply #4: August 05, 2008, 04:40:26 PM»
Quote from: "Taylor"
i liked public school because i wouldn't have learned the psychology behind human interaction while i'm stuck at home. i love to know why some people act this way and why some act that way and so, really, it was a better environment for me. and with public education, i was able to interact myself and get different opinions, different musical interests, got friends, etc.

i couldn't sit behind my screen and get my diploma and be able to state my opinion and debate it with other students like i could in school. as misanthropic as i am, it's really an experience i couldn't get with online education.

it also taught me about discrimination, being proud of who are and whatnot.

online education just seems so... impersonal to me.

exactly why I prefer it. :3
wat

Offline SLASHERS.

Online Education
«Reply #5: August 05, 2008, 04:46:14 PM»
i agree with taylor, i like being in public school because i like being around people, and getting out of my house. sitting on the computer all day makes me feel lazy, and i dont think i could even get a decent education off the internet because i am a global learner, i like to see things, i like to have things demonstrated to me. and i like being around people in general, too, so. and i didnt mean to offend anyone, cause obviously there are legit online schools, and some people are fine with going to school online, and i dont have anything against that.

Offline LSD

Online Education
«Reply #6: August 05, 2008, 06:18:15 PM»
completely approve of.

though there are a good number of phony diploma sites outt here that'll give it to you for no good reason at all for the right price. that's the bullshit.
alts in thread, quitting

Bam

Online Education
«Reply #7: August 05, 2008, 06:28:49 PM»
my girlfriend is going to college online because she's going in for video game design, and the closest place that offers that is over six hours away.

i, on the other hand, am in for journalism, and the closest place is right here in my hometown (SIUC) and luckily, it's one of the best in the area for such.

personally, i don't know how she does it; i'd go crazy, and i've told her this before. i don't learn well sitting behind a computer screen, because, like taylor, possessed and slashers, i'm able to learn best when i have others around to bounce ideas off of, be it an instructor or other students.

a simple chatroom or forum isn't going to hold my attention, and like taylor said, it's far too impersonal.

i also love the classroom environment. i like being around people, too. (generally... i hate cities, though. don't ask.)

but some people aren't so lucky, and they aren't able to go to school for the same reasons you stated (work, injuries, phobias, distance, children, etc...), and that's what online classes are for. you can't weed out the ones who really have issues from the ones who don't. if that's how someone would prefer to learn, then no one can tell them not to, nor should they.

Offline Tony

Online Education
«Reply #8: August 05, 2008, 06:30:03 PM»
Quote from: "Possessed"
shut up jonas brothers.

education is education.

Offline Julie

Online Education
«Reply #9: August 05, 2008, 06:57:32 PM»
i go to public school. love it. gives me person-to-person interaction, and hands-on teaching, and personal help if i need it.

i had to use a computer education class for summer school. it.. really wasnt for me.

the program itself was glitchy. the teacher that was supposed to help us didnt give a shit whether or not we passed. every time i asked for help he ignored me. the material itself was confusing, and the problems on the test were 20 times harder than the examples they gave throughout the entire lesson. and yes, i know, theyre testing you on how well you learned the process, but i mean they added variables, made the problems longer to the point where you needed to add an extra step or two, etcetc.

i ended up flunking when i got stuck on radicals.

i highly prefer having a teacher, standing in front of a class, writing out the problems, and showing you the process step-by-step, and will give you help when you dont understand something. or possibly even give you more than one way to solve a type of problem.

if the computer gig's more your way, then go for it.

Offline anathema

Online Education
«Reply #10: August 05, 2008, 08:00:37 PM»
i had an online class once.

i absolutely hated it. i didn't retain anything i learned in it.

Offline Militant

Online Education
«Reply #11: August 05, 2008, 08:24:43 PM»
I don't like the idea of online schooling regardless of the circumstances. It's lazy and antisocial and youth shouldn't be brought up like that cause eventually they're going to have to be a functioning member of society, but they'll have no idea how to interact with real people. School ain't only for gettin a textbook education. It's for learning to interact as well.
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Bam

Online Education
«Reply #12: August 05, 2008, 08:57:12 PM»
Quote from: "Militant"
I don't like the idea of online schooling regardless of the circumstances.

i've come to realize you aren't very understanding of other circumstances aside from what you've seen directly... so to say that this comment from you doesn't surprise me, even after people have given specific instances where there could be no other way aside from online schools to obtain a degree/proper education, is an understatement.

so, just so i'm understanding this correctly... people who have no other means aside from online school should just stay stupid, not get the job they want, etc? please tell me you're joking.
online schools are a means to obtain and accomplish what you may not have originally been able to obtain/accomplish. just because i or other people don't personally enjoy or desire going to one doesn't mean i think that they should be stripped away from the people who want or need them.
because likely, if they want to do them, they will learn better through them and get the degree faster. who are you to deny them that?

and EDIT:
no, being lazy means not going to school at all. which is the only other choice people who can only go to online schools have.
it does take work to complete online classes, you know.

Doctor Pixel

Online Education
«Reply #13: August 05, 2008, 09:01:44 PM»
Here's where I stand on this topic.

As Bam already pointed out, I go to school online for Game and Simulation Design.

Do I like it? Not particularly.

But for the sake of getting the job that I am passionate about and bettering my life I stick it out. I MAKE myself retain it. I read the text books and I do whatever I have to do to get it into my head.

I don't know how many of you have parents shelling out money for you to drive hours away to live on campus but I have to make my own way, And If that means sacrificing a normal classroom college then so be it.

One way or another I'm going to make it, That's that.

Offline Militant

Online Education
«Reply #14: August 05, 2008, 09:28:44 PM»
Okay, Bam, i'll agree with you that it's better than no education. But, what I mean is that it's no replacement for an actual public education due to the fact that you don't interact with real people.
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Vince

Online Education
«Reply #15: August 05, 2008, 09:32:23 PM»
oh man i remember i took my required driving course class that nevada laws stated you had to have online and i never read any of the fucking chapters and still passed with flying colors because i just bullshitted.

Bam

Online Education
«Reply #16: August 05, 2008, 09:42:05 PM»
Quote from: "Militant"
Okay, Bam, i'll agree with you that it's better than no education. But, what I mean is that it's no replacement for an actual public education due to the fact that you don't interact with real people.

are you saying people can't socialize anywhere but in the classroom??
i've known plenty of people who were home-schooled who turned out perfectly fine and well rounded, as well as socialized.
they weren't insane feral beasts just because they were taught at home- in fact, they were way smarter than those of us (myself included) who were taught in the public school.

Offline Militant

Online Education
«Reply #17: August 05, 2008, 09:52:17 PM»
I suppose. But if a kid was to start online schooling from the beginning, then how're they supposed to know how to socialize? I guess what I'm more getting at is the idea the online schooling should replace public school (which has been brought up) isn't good, in my opinion, and it just seems like another way overprotective ma's are shielding and censoring their children. If you NEED online schooling, then that's different.

Offline Cinderella

Online Education
«Reply #18: August 05, 2008, 10:04:38 PM»
aaa deleted
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:14:24 PM by Tori »

Yasutora

Online Education
«Reply #19: August 06, 2008, 08:27:25 PM»
Personally I could never see myself being home-schooled or having an online education, mainly because school is pretty much the only time I have to hang out with my friends. If my current situation had been different, I'd probably be home-schooled. People shouldn't judge others based on their type of education if they themselves have never tried it.

I think home-schooling/online education could be easier because you'd pretty much be the only student, leaving more focus on you. But I also feel people need to gain that social aspect from school and such. Though it truely depends on the type of person. I go to public school, but remain very quiet when not around people I know.

The closest thing I have done to online education would be correspondance, which I have to take so I can get both grade 10 and 11 french in the same year so I can graduate on time. Had I not been in need of the credits to graduate, I wouldn't be taking correspondance.

Offline Hugo

Online Education
«Reply #20: August 07, 2008, 01:37:15 AM»
It's the same as homeschooling. You can turn out one of two ways, Book smart and Street dumb. Or Book dumb AND Street dumb.

At least with public schooling you get smart with one of the two or both.

sesruc

Online Education
«Reply #21: August 07, 2008, 09:52:05 AM»
see.
i go to a private school.
it's smaller than our public highschool and obviously, has less courses to choose from.
therefore, we have online courses.

/pointless post

Sookan

Online Education
«Reply #22: August 07, 2008, 10:11:42 AM»
i've never even heard of this before.

medical illnesses and distance aside, learn to face reality.
how will you ever get a job if you can't stand being around people?

Offline SLASHERS.

Online Education
«Reply #23: August 07, 2008, 11:52:34 AM»
I can see why some people would HAVE to take online courses or home schooling. But i hardly see "i dont want to be around other people" as a reason to sit on the computer all day to get your education. What are you going to do when your parents kick you out of the house and suddenly, you have to start talking to all kinds of people, about buying a house, renting an apartment, job interview, buying insurance, getting a loan, getting into collage.. And I'm not trying to target anyone specifically, cause i think someone else said they take online school cause they dont like people, but uh.. yeah rofl. And i probably shouldnt have been such a dick in my first post, if online school is whats for you, then take it, but i just don't understand how you can take online school your whole life, and then not grow up to be a hermit or a cave dweller.

Offline Hyorin

Online Education
«Reply #24: August 07, 2008, 12:28:29 PM»
Is... school really the only place you can get social interaction? I don't think so. It may be the main one, but not the only one. My close friend had to move away to attend a prestigious sports school, where all the courses are online; however, she's very social and made time to hang out with friends, even though she had lots of sports lessons on the side! Though this is only one case out of many, I don't think that all people who substitute public education with online courses will become antisocial. All it takes is a bit of effort, honestly.

supersaver