supersaver

Author Topic: Names and Treatment  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Ook

Names and Treatment
«: July 31, 2008, 06:34:21 PM»
In the wonderful anonymous worlds of furcadia, I have often been involved in drama on one alt, then been asked my opinion on that alt through another alt.

For example; Say one of my alts killed someone ic. This someone ic whispers another of my alts to bitch about how my alt killed them, without knowing that that person is me.

Another example; I make friends with someone on an alt. I visit the same dream the next day on a different alt. I act the same, have the same opinions, yet neglect to inform my new friend of my identity.

Has anybody else done this, had this happen, or gotten a collective laugh out of it when the person realises who you are?
What are your opinions on this type of anonymity?

Offline Hugo

Names and Treatment
«Reply #1: July 31, 2008, 08:31:21 PM»
I don't think that's just restricted to furc, people always talk about other people behind their backs wherever you go.

Offline Mychelle

Names and Treatment
«Reply #2: July 31, 2008, 09:02:03 PM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
I don't think that's just restricted to furc, people always talk about other people behind their backs wherever you go.

Agreeing with this completely. Doesnt matter where, everyone is gonna say or talk about someone behind their back. Yeah, none of us like it, but thats just sorta how things are.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Julie

Names and Treatment
«Reply #3: July 31, 2008, 10:11:12 PM»
Quote from: "Mychelle"
Quote from: "Hugo"

Agreeing with this completely. Doesnt matter where, everyone is gonna say or talk about someone behind their back. Yeah, none of us like it, but thats just sorta how things are.

third..ed.

and really, youd be suprised what great friends will turn their back and start talking about you

anyways, like im sure ive said in another thread, once i get one specific alt, i'll let only a select few people know about it. because, not only 1. i cant stand people, but 2. id like to make friends with people who would otherwise hate me. the reason for this? i dont want to hate people. i dont want people to hate me. it suprises me how easy people come to hate you or love you. you could do something horrible to them, something that you eventually forget about completely, or something that you didnt even do. in ook's case, he 'killed' someone IC. (which, i believe it is a roleplay rule that you dont -have- to die just because someone says you do, you have to agree to the death)

i sometimes make the mistake of people ASSUMING that they know me when i buy a new alt and go around on it. i might go "hayy#SO" and the person be completely weirded out about it because they arent aware of me being. well. me. since most of my friends arent on FAM they arent aware of my buying habits and which alts i buy, etcetc. sometimes i do mess with them though, if i buy a new alt.. they're usually not upset about anything when i tell them.

the ability to be anonymous on furcadia is both a blessing and a curse. if you want to start fresh, thats terrific, because the only people that would be able to know youre the same person would be cironir who could track your IP, or whatever they do, and you could, truly, start out with a new slate.
but if youre on an anonymous alt, you could run into people who dont exactly like you, and could possibly be talking bad about you right at that moment. personally, i would just stick around to see what nasty rumors were floating around about me.. but thats beside the point.

anyways. yeah.

Moni

Names and Treatment
«Reply #4: July 31, 2008, 10:53:27 PM»
I can't be anonymous.

The only people I hang out with are like Spades, Kayu, Dai, Kairi, & all the other fags who hang around my dream/me, and they have known me for years. Even if I were to make an alt and completely disguise my talking/personality, they would know it's me whether I tell them or not. Same with me and their alts.

I really don't need to be anonymous, anyway. I've come to accept that sometime, somewhere, someone is talking shit about you - it's all a matter of if they want you to know, and if they're not close enough to you that they can let you know to your face (er, monitor?) what they think of you, then you probably don't talk to them all that much anyway.

ex: Kayu needs to take a shower.

Offline Kayu

Names and Treatment
«Reply #5: July 31, 2008, 10:55:50 PM»
Quote from: "Kagome"
I can't be anonymous.

The only people I hang out with are like Spades, Kayu, Dai, Kairi, & all the other fags who hang around my dream/me, and they have known me for years. Even if I were to make an alt and completely disguise my talking/personality, they would know it's me whether I tell them or not. Same with me and their alts.

I really don't need to be anonymous, anyway. I've come to accept that sometime, somewhere, someone is talking shit about you - it's all a matter of if they want you to know, and if they're not close enough to you that they can let you know to your face (er, monitor?) what they think of you, then you probably don't talk to them all that much anyway.

ex: Kayu needs to take a shower.
I TOOK ONE THIS MORNING.
Also mained as Alpaca, Kikyou. art

Offline Glory

Names and Treatment
«Reply #6: August 01, 2008, 12:16:57 AM»
As its been said, people say the most rude things in front and behind your back.
Being paranoid I found out myself, doesn't help because then they do it infront of you to annoy you. x_x
Or you accuse someone and get ganged up against. WHICH IS NOT FUN, believe me.

So, I guess my thoughts on this is while its obviously not nice to talk about anyone behind their back, we're all going to do it and the same will be done to us. Can't really change anything about it unfortunately.

I haven't taken a shower for such a long time I just remembered... afk to go do that.
I don't use this website much.

Offline Sapphirus

Names and Treatment
«Reply #7: August 01, 2008, 01:48:49 AM»
There's backstabbers everywhere. Which is why it's hard to trust anyone, on the net specifically. Even your best/closest friends can say stuff about you; it's all in the matter of whispers.

I learnt this the hard way. And as soon as you forget about them, they want to asskiss you, and try to be your friend again; as in after doing the same thing several times. I can see in giving someone a 2nd chance but when they do it again and again, they should'nt be given anymore chances.

You might find ONE person who you can trust the most and some others, just maybe. I have 1-3 at least people I know I can trust.

Sometimes you can catch a moment if you're on an alt they don't know about. You just might find a person talking about you outloud to a group of people.
IGNIS! COMING UP WITH YOUR DAILY RECIPEHS!
Furcadia contacts: Sapphirus/Ignis Scientia/Chuck Norris

Offline Eevee

Names and Treatment
«Reply #8: August 01, 2008, 06:53:59 AM»
I think names make an impression on how people act toward you.

I used to frequent Anime Club back around 2006 on Mynt and everyone would chat with me in the dream, but one day I happened to make Yuna Braska, a variation of Yuna from FF10, and obviously since Yuna was taken, I found it fine to use Yuna Braska.

But when I went into Anime Club on Yuna Braska, everyone got snobby with me because Braska isn't Yuna's last name and because it wasn't the original name. Then I found out one of my friends used to own Yuna Braska and took it to Anime Club one day and they acted the same way toward the alt to the point it scared her to log on the alt so she let it expire.

When I came back on Mynt, everything was fine again.

I mean, for the longest time every alt with a "-chan", "-san", "-kun", or "-sama" at the end that was based off of a popular character was rejected and called noob alts since it wasn't the original name but because specific people collected the original names, other fans of characters had to make variations and then get made fun of by those who had the actual names or by the friends of the people who had the actual names.

Digital Love

Names and Treatment
«Reply #9: August 01, 2008, 08:02:34 AM»
Sometimes trading names can lead to bad names that get stuck to it.

A name can get to stick to an alt. Maybe sometime ago (as Eevee showed it does happen) you get/create an alt that has a history with someone at some place. It can determine how people act towards you if they've seen that alt before and associate it with a negative experience.

It wouldn't be the first time innocent people even get banished from places just because someone used to have that particular alt.

I, personally, have a near instantly decreased disposition towards people who have names relating to drugs, diseases or acts of violence. The particular reason for this is simple; the majority of the people who own those kind of alts are 9 out of 10 times people I won't get along with. I don't like their mindsets and ideas. Often they think they're the best thing to have happened since the invention of Gyros even though their characters are unoriginal and depthless. Or made for one single purpose of raping everything in sight.

To each their own, I won't tell them what to do or not to do, but I will enter a conversation biased and probably act very cool, ignorant towards them or even get snappy with them.

It's basically the same everyone else would react to SUPERgurl_x18x; obviously a noob, doesn't know how to RP and has no proper character. Something you can tell by name alone.

Moni

Names and Treatment
«Reply #10: August 01, 2008, 02:19:21 PM»
It's the exact opposite with me, Mynt. x-x;

I've had four-hundred different Kagome alts since I've started RPing the character, ranging from the Higurashi Kagome-sama, to Kago, to Miss Kagome, and finally Kagome-chan, and I never had trouble finding roleplay on them. Sure, I got made fun of (especially with that first one), but at least I was having fun with the RP I got.

Now, after years of wanting it, I finally got Kagome .......... and no one will RP with me. I get tons of miswhispers, but never anyone actually looking for me. x-x; Seriously, the only people who will even take me up on an offer are the ones I was already RPing with on Kagome-chan.

and Kayu won't RP with me unless we're being goofballs~ ):

Yasutora

Names and Treatment
«Reply #11: August 06, 2008, 02:11:36 AM»
People do make judgement very quickly on furcadia. This one person found me to be annoying, so they ignored me. But once I got on vent they unignored me within a few minutes because they had gotten to know me a little better.

I think that people judge others on Furcadia so easily because they're no consequences if they do decide to act cruel towards someone simply because their alt has an odd name. As for alts, I often keep a number of alts which I use for OOC purposes off my FAM list, so I'm not judged based on something I did or didn't do/say on an alt. I've found that people tend to be jackasses on Furcadia/The internet in general.

The fact that someone does or says something on the internet, doesn't mean they're a bad person.