Poll

Believe in it?

Yessuh
27 (75%)
No
9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: July 28, 2008, 08:03:42 PM

Author Topic: Capital Punishment, Anyone?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Militant

Capital Punishment, Anyone?
«: July 28, 2008, 08:03:42 PM»
Just lookin for peoples thoughts on it. Been tryin to figure why a lot of Western cultures abolished it... What are your opinions?
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Offline Narnia

«Reply #1: July 28, 2008, 09:24:27 PM»
Short a sweet..

Based on my morals, yes go for it.

Based on financial concerns, let them rot in jail (it's cheaper).
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Vince

«Reply #2: July 28, 2008, 09:26:48 PM»
honestly, i'm all for capital punishment. i mean hell, if a guy rapes or murders, they shouldn't be allowed to live because they took something from the person and family they committed the crime against.

however, i am also an advocate of abolishing capital punishment with a life sentence in solitary confinement in its stead. so the felon can think about what he did for the rest of his life obv.

fucking hippies want to get rid of capital punishment because all life is sacred oh boo fuckin' hoo.

Offline Cinna

«Reply #3: July 28, 2008, 09:32:31 PM»
Out of curiosity is it really cheaper to let them rot in jail? Since we have to supply them with food and the like?

And my opinion is pretty hazy, I mean it seems awful to sit in a cell for your entire life but at the same time is it these days?

I think as the world is growing in morality or compassion, while losing touch with proper punishment. All kids whether they're failing or not are being rewarded in schools and people in jail try to get back in because it's akin to being in a paid hotel, or so i've heard.

If jail was more menacing or uncomfortable i'd think the killing them was letting them off easy. Especially since there are such 'painfree' ways to go...does a criminal really deserve that? I hear they still do hangings in Washington state or somewhere like that, and that way of death may be better fitting to more heinous crimes.

Alright i'll stop my rant now.

Watt - Oogie - Cinna - Kazari - Sock - Shihoudani - Blitzen

Offline Mala

«Reply #4: July 28, 2008, 09:52:10 PM»
i agree with capital punishment.

especially for murderers. you take a life, why should you keep your own?

but it shouldn't be for everything. just for big/serious crimes. i mean, if you rob a bank, you shouldn't die for it.

Yasutora

«Reply #5: July 28, 2008, 10:03:32 PM»
I disagree with it. I want them to rot in jail. Why let them get off so easily, just make them suffer >:l

Take that guy who ran into a church shooting up everything he saw sometime last week. He had left a note in his car stating that he wanted to get shot by the police so he wouldn't have to live with what he did.

Now hes rotting in prison :/

Offline SULLY

«Reply #6: July 28, 2008, 10:09:27 PM»
well luckily most of the really looney ones shoot themselves when they're done.

seriously, why the heavy hard-hitting issues?

Offline Schwarz

«Reply #7: July 28, 2008, 10:57:39 PM»
I believe in capital punishment, but I find it hard to support the penalties currently in use.

Lethal injection? It's too "nice." We do it because it's the most humane manner of execution, but why should we be so courteous to the man who tortured, raped, then brutally slaughtered a dozen people? Somehow I doubt he was as concerned with their comfort as we are with his.

Why not bring back the electric chair or hangings. Fear can be a great motivator, & you don't always die the first time around. If I remember correctly from an old history class, the record was someone who hung for a week before dying. Turns out his neck didn't break & he just dehydrated/starved to death.

Seems like a much better deterrant to serious crime than just falling asleep.

Offline Glory

«Reply #8: July 29, 2008, 12:12:22 AM»
The problem with rotting is, the gov is kinda you know, going to take your money to pay for the prisoners food, space, the wages of those working at the prison, extra activities, and more.
Compared to a one time expense saved for the worse.
If you want to look at it from a finance point of view.

The problem with being brutal is, you get into the area where you have to ask yourself "I am doing what they are doing in a sense." + the person that is f'cked up enough to torture someone probably deserves to be next in line anyways.

I don't believe it should be however "You take a life, we'll take yours as payment!". Things like car crashes or actidents often cause a actidental killing, I think however it'd be a bit severe for things like that considering the victim could be the one doing the killing (self defense ect.)

I don't think its quite so simple really. Save it for those that really did screw up and deserve it, since I am pretty sure we'd be happy to have them dead then in a jail while they get "free" stuff". You do have to pay the jail I believe if you get out somewhat and you work in there, HOWEVER. if your in there for life, whats to worry about paying? your dead in an essence.
I don't use this website much.

Offline Abney

«Reply #9: July 29, 2008, 05:19:56 AM»
Personally, I don't agree with Capital Punishment, for several reasons, which have already been addressed so far, and for some other reasons too.

To be honest, if I ever was to agree with Capital Punishment, I'd say that it should only be reserved for the 'worst' cases where there is solid evidence on the crimimal. The reason being that sometimes, things go wrong and an innocent person could possibly end up with the Death Sentence. I know technology has moved on and all, but there are still some flaws.

Secondly, I say that death is the 'easy way out.' Especially considering that in some cases, the criminals commit suicide after committing the crime. In other words, I believe that if one gets the life sentence, then it should be for life. Then again, like some have already pointed out, it is the taxpayer who pays to keep these criminals inside and in a way, provides everything for them.

All in all, I believe the only true solution, is to prevent these crimes. But as we all know, that is hard in itself, especially with the lack of fear factor in terms of possible punishments, which also shows why Capital Punishment is the way forward, then again, considering the points against it, Capital Punishment can be pretty risky in many ways.

Not to mention, taking the life of the criminal or torturing them, even if they do deserve it, would make us just as bad. In other words, I mainly agree with Marik's points on this, she's probably made this a lot clearer than I have too.

That's all for now on my opinion, sorry for the long post.
| Abney | Carvel | Fawkes | Pope | Rhune |

Digital Love

«Reply #10: July 29, 2008, 07:15:43 AM»
Quote from: "Yasutora"
I disagree with it. I want them to rot in jail. Why let them get off so easily, just make them suffer >:l

With a tv, hot water for showers, a comfortable bed etc...? Here in large parts of Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium etc. etc.) people in prison are often better off than most people living on minimum wages.

I'm unsure what jail is like in the US, but if it's anything near what we have here... just kill ehm off already.

Remember that bastard in Austria who locked up his daughter in a super small basement and raped her until she gave birth to 7 children? For over 24 years?

Why should he be allowed to spend the rest of his life rotting away in a cell that's SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE than what his daughter had to go through?

Offline Narnia

«Reply #11: July 29, 2008, 08:29:50 AM»
Honestly, you're already on the internet. If you don't believe me that a life sentence costs more, just google it.

Quote from: "http://www.balancedpolitics.org/death_penalty.htm"
Financial costs to taxpayers of capital punishment is several times that of keeping someone in prison for life.  Most people don't realize that carrying out one death sentence costs 2-5 times more than keeping that same criminal in prison for the rest of his life. How can this be? It has to do with the endless appeals, additional required procedures, and legal wrangling that drag the process out. It's not unusual for a prisoner to be on death row for 15-20 years. Judges, attorneys, court reporters, clerks, and court facilities all require a substantial investment by the taxpayers. Do we really have the resources to waste?

Quote from: "http://www.sunfyre.com/deathpenalty.html"
I don't want my tax dollars paying to keep criminals alive... unfortunately, it costs dramatically more to kill those same criminals.  The typical death penalty conviction must go through several levels of appeal.  All these appeals must be heard by the courts in virtually every case.  Attorneys are paid dramatically more than prison guards.  One prison guard is responsible for several prisoners, where one prisoner on death row typically employs several attorneys and legal staff for many years, all while still using your tax dollars in prison.  Life sentences are rarely appealed.  The typical life span in prison is about two dozen years, many of the most violent prisoners get murdered in prison, often as a prowess maneuver within the convict population.

And the best page of all..

Quote from: "http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42"
The High Cost of the Death Penalty

The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases. This process is needed in order to ensure that innnocent men and woman are not executed for crimes they did not commit, and even with these protections the risk of executing an innocent person can not be completely eliminated.

If the death penalty was replaced with a sentence of Life Without the Possibility of Parole*, which costs millions less and also ensures that the public is protected while eliminating the risk of an irreversible mistake, the money saved could be spent on programs that actually improve the communities in which we live. The millions of dollars in savings could be spent on: education, roads, police officers and public safety programs, after-school programs, drug and alcohol treatment, child abuse prevention programs, mental health services, and services for crime victims and their families.

*More than 3500 men and woman have received this sentence in California since 1978 and NOT ONE has been released, except those few individuals who were able to prove their innocence.

Please do your homework before making these posts.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Hugo

«Reply #12: July 29, 2008, 11:52:30 AM»
I'm for capital punishment.

I don't like that we're so humane about killing the criminals, but I see why it has to be that way. For example; what if the person is actually innocent? There's always a fraction of doubt so to be fair we use a painless killing method.

Though there was a retarded policy put in my area recently that we no longer use injections because the injection needle could momentarily hurt the criminal.

Offline Militant

«Reply #13: July 29, 2008, 11:59:04 AM»
Good to see most of yall are for Capital Punishment. I believe in it as well, but what gets me is that a lot of you people said that the killing is too humane... Well, think about it this way-- We're supposed to be the civilized ones that don't torture and prolong before killing. Just cause they did it, doesn't mean we should, too. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. But I do believe death penalty is necessary in cases when they've killed multiple people.

Another question-- Do you believe mental states are an excuse? I don't understand why someone can go kill and maim 25 innocent children, but then they claim they're crazy and just get put in a nice comfy asylum. I don't think that should be an excuse, especially if it ain't curable. Why should we need to pay for people that go around murdering people and will never be able to do anything else with their lives? I think they should be put to death just like everyone else. Or at least never released and put in a regular jail perhaps in solitary confinement.
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Offline SULLY

«Reply #14: July 29, 2008, 12:10:54 PM»
Quote from: "Militant"
Good to see most of yall are for Capital Punishment. I believe in it as well, but what gets me is that a lot of you people said that the killing is too humane... Well, think about it this way-- We're supposed to be the civilized ones that don't torture and prolong before killing. Just cause they did it, doesn't mean we should, too. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. But I do believe death penalty is necessary in cases when they've killed multiple people.

Another question-- Do you believe mental states are an excuse? I don't understand why someone can go kill and maim 25 innocent children, but then they claim they're crazy and just get put in a nice comfy asylum. I don't think that should be an excuse, especially if it ain't curable. Why should we need to pay for people that go around murdering people and will never be able to do anything else with their lives? I think they should be put to death just like everyone else. Or at least never released and put in a regular jail perhaps in solitary confinement.

that's some of the biggest bullshit i've ever seen.
come on.

Vince

«Reply #15: July 29, 2008, 12:31:50 PM»

do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline SULLY

«Reply #16: July 29, 2008, 02:03:01 PM»
well apparently, according to these kids, we should tar & feather them and then drag them behind a truck for 60 miles and then bash their faces in with a sledgehammer.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #17: July 29, 2008, 06:16:22 PM»
Let's also murder children then.

Seriously, have some pride in what you post. This thread isn't an in-depth so much as everyone saying, let's just kill them. Or, I'm against it because it isn't nice.

Does anyone here even know what the real purpose of the death penalty is? If you can answer this question, then you'll understand why we don't execute children or the mentally insane.

Hint: It's not the idea of an eye for an eye.

Also, what about the fact that the US is one of only a handful of countries that still use the death penalty? Did you know that most countries will not extradite a criminal back the US if they face the penalty of death?

As for those who claim insanity. Assuming they meet the requirements to avoid jail and head to the asylum. Ask them how 'comfy' their lives really are when they are drugged and controlled 24 hours per day.

If you want to make this an in-depth discussion, than PLEASE add some depth to your posts. Find some facts, make a real argument for or against.

Offline SULLY

«Reply #18: July 29, 2008, 07:40:34 PM»
well, this board seems to be less of a place for "intelligent discussion and debate" and more of a juvenile circle-jerk to share paper thin opinions. next time 99% of you have a thought...... let it go.

Digital Love

«Reply #19: July 29, 2008, 07:59:51 PM»
Asking in-depth opinions on this thread, in a community where half the members aren't even of legal age, is asking for a bit too much. Most people don't know what they talk about because they have more important things to worry about.

Like a broken nail or what pickup line works best on that one chick.

Topics like these don't do well in a community where the youngest are barely past 13. It's an adult, political and moral discussion. Not many will engage in conversing here with in-depth knowledge on the subject.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #20: July 30, 2008, 01:20:41 AM»
Stop talking about the posters and start posting about the topic, dudes.

Vince

«Reply #21: July 30, 2008, 01:32:46 AM»
for once, i actually agree with hugo.

Offline Skull

«Reply #22: July 30, 2008, 01:37:07 AM»
I believe this topic is inappropriate for anyone who goes on here to make a justifiable case on whether the death penalty should be allowed or not.

after all, most of them are children.  or at least have the mentality of a child.

Offline Militant

«Reply #23: July 30, 2008, 08:29:14 AM»
Quote from: "goldie"
Quote from: "friday"

that's some of the biggest bullshit i've ever seen.
come on.

agree-n with friday.

summarizing militant:
JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF MORAL CODES AND ARE INCAPABLE OF MAKING DECISIONS ON YOUR OWN IS NOT AN EXCUSE.
RETARDS AND CRAZIES SHOULD TAKE IT IN THE ASS JUST LIKE JOE BLOW OVER THERE.
ps also we should just kill retards they aren't human, right?

If the "retards" go around being mass murderers, I don't see why they shouldn't be put to death just like normal people. Everybody always wants them to be treated just like normal people, right?

Vince

«Reply #24: July 30, 2008, 08:33:40 AM»
no, they don't. they want them to be treated special and better like "normal people." that's why people go out of the way to make their lives better and easier instead of allowing natural selection to happen.