supersaver

Author Topic: Anonymous buyers.  (Read 3507 times)

Fairy

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«: July 20, 2008, 07:07:03 PM»
Secret alts.
Saying you dont want people to know youre buying a name
or rather, how much youre spending on a name.

Whats the point?

So you spend money on something you enjoy, why be ashamed and hide it.

Recently I said something about someone buying an alt and they immediately ran to the seller and said they no longer wanted it because the "Privacy was broken"

Why the fuck is there even privacy? I mean seriously, come on.
Sure, youre stupid for spending 50+ on an alt, but youre doing it. So why hide it and act like youre ashamed?

To make this even better:
HEY I JUST SPENT 350$ ON AN ALT,
Sure, I feel kind of dumb, but this game is something I enjoy for now and I have the spare money to do so.

So quite frankly, go fuck yourself if you have a problem.

Lani

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #1: July 20, 2008, 07:15:17 PM»
It's like buying lifers, only more importantly, it's your actual character. :P I've probably spent like $2,000 on furc...easily..lol. Roo was $140 or so, and I have 7 lifers on her now. :x Not to mention gifts, ports, and commissions and crap. rofl.

Digital Love

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #2: July 20, 2008, 07:21:03 PM»
Because some people don't want to be constantly harassed on new alts because it's linked to their main. I have a few alts that aren't made public so I can log on, sit back and talk to friends without having to worry about someone pestering me over something I don't want to deal with right now.

Sometimes it's nice to just be someone unknown and roleplay without needing to tend to other tasks because you're known as x.

To name an example, when I worked in a certain large dream I couldn't log onto my main alt or known alts on a day off without being asked to clear this and deal with that.

I think a seller should respect the request not to pass on who you sold an alt to. It has nothing to do with not enjoying or not being proud of the alt.

Offline Cardali

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #3: July 20, 2008, 07:40:30 PM»
as previously stated, the internet is anonymous. i see no reason to freak out and whatnot if someone knows you own an alt, but there's always the 'ignore' and 'whispers-off' options. i'm not saying you should be like "OMG YOU BROKE MY PRIVACY I NO LONGER WANT THIS" but you have to respect the fact that some people want to remain anon's.
like Sadil stated, some people prefer anonymousness to being known. i have a couple alts i do that on, just because i don't want people whispering me about whether they can buy the alt or not. anyways. it would annoy me to have someone do that, but you gotta understand their point of view too.

Offline MAU

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #4: July 20, 2008, 09:18:52 PM»
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:55:55 PM by she »

Offline Jax

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #5: July 20, 2008, 09:41:39 PM»
I've never asked to be anonymous myself, though I have been asked a few times to keep a buyer's name on the low-low. I respect it, no doubt about it, though I don't see the point, that being the reason I don't do it myself. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. o_o

Offline Tony

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #6: July 20, 2008, 10:06:39 PM»
I don't like letting people know what alt I'm buying because word could get around, then you get cockblocked and someone swoops in and buys the alt right out from underneath you.

I'm not really ashamed of how much I spend on an alt, because I haven't spent a dime on furcadia. So, really, i'm not losing anything.

Offline Zim

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #7: July 20, 2008, 10:07:11 PM»
I have a couple anonymous (or partially anonymous alts) that I use when I don't want to be bothered about things. At least one of them I keep unlisted because the person who "bought" it for me requested I do... for a lot of personal reasons (if you want to know why, Gage, I'll be happy to tell you).

It really varies from person to person though. People who have anonymous alts aren't really hurting anyone though, unless you use them to spy on people, who I always found to be silly and rude. (I do know people that do this because they want to know what "bad" things people are saying about them)

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Julie

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #8: July 20, 2008, 10:09:37 PM»
Quote from: "Tony"
I don't like letting people know what alt I'm buying because word could get around, then you get cockblocked and someone swoops in and buys the alt right out from underneath you.

thats happened quite a few times with me, which is the reason why i try not to be open about my bids on bigger more 'expensive' alts

i made the mistake of blabbing about the alt i wanted just recently and someone outbid me on it. aah woe.

Fairy

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #9: July 20, 2008, 10:17:40 PM»
I think what Im trying to say is,
Its okay to do it

but some people just go way overboard with it =\

Offline Cardali

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #10: July 20, 2008, 10:34:46 PM»
Quote from: "Kuja"
I think what Im trying to say is,
Its okay to do it

but some people just go way overboard with it =\

well of course, there are always going to be people that go overboard on that kinda stuff.
like the people that have 100+ alts. ~_~

Offline Sync

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #11: July 20, 2008, 10:35:51 PM»
i don't care, so long as they pay.

Offline Julie

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #12: July 20, 2008, 10:36:24 PM»
Quote from: "Sync"

blunt and to-the-point

Offline Jax

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #13: July 21, 2008, 12:11:51 AM»
Quote from: "Julie"
Quote from: "Sync"

blunt and to-the-point

I second that.

Sookan

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #14: July 21, 2008, 05:45:05 AM»
i've never spent a penny on furc. ever. or even bought an alt for more than $40(which i still think was too much, even if it's only monopoly money). even if i had, i wouldn't be ashamed. go sasuke, lol. after all, it's your/my/their money. who cares?

nonetheless, 5/10 of my alts are secret. unlisted, unannounced, and maybe 1 or 2 people know it's me. i dont get pestered like some people do, since i dont have anything people want. i quit dreamowning, so..
even so, i dont like people knowing my alts. i've always "used" alts to their full capability. even now i'm friends with people that, if they knew who i was, would hate me forever. next to none of my valuable alts are listed.

i dont see the problem, though.

Vince

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #15: July 21, 2008, 06:54:55 AM»
some people don't want other people to know that they have an alt so they aren't bothered all the time by people who possibly want that alt...

but. i really don't care if people know what alts i have. i have a lot of alts i use just to fuck around with, but the main alts are the more known alts so people know who i am and know that the shit is DNB4evr. which is why i list mine...

Offline Sin

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #16: July 21, 2008, 10:27:37 AM»
I buy alts anonymously to get some privacy. It's like a fresh start or an alt that is a safe haven not having to worry about fuckers whispering you who you don't feel like talking to you.

The money doesn't matter because I don't spend IRL money on this game. Everything I have spent has been given to me for alts and such. It's all part of the enigma of buying new alts.
.insane.

Offline Altria

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #17: July 21, 2008, 06:06:21 PM»
Although I have no problem with letting people know I own a certain alt, I can certainly understand why some alts and their owners would want to be kept anonymous. Harassment is not fun and not to mention fucking ridiculous, especially on the grounds of 'OMFG U SPENT UR HARD EARNED MONEY ON SOMETHING U WANT, SHAME ON U".

No one has shown real interest in any of my alts in a LONG time, and I barely ever play furc anymore so I don't really give a fuck if someone has a beef with me or my alts. But I know if I ever purchased an alt like, say, Shadow or something, I would probably go into hiding on it for a while. O.o;

Offline Julie

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #18: July 21, 2008, 08:34:08 PM»
ok, giving an entire post on my opp here, since i actually have time

as tony had said, i do bid anonymously bid most of the time for the sake of people not outbidding me. though the gist of our reasons  may be the same, i anonymously bid so nobody knows that my funds are very low, and if they outbid me the chances of me being able to increase mine are slim.

otherwise, i bid out in the open, because i have no secret alts. all the alts on my furnarchy and .INI list, is listed here on FAM. though i probably will start fresh eventually on a completely anonymous alt, MSN screen name, AIM name, etc, to get away from a select few people i cant stand whatsoever, that time hasnt come yet. and when i do? of course, i'll let my closest friends know.

if people want me to add a bid anonymously to one of my alts, then theyre more than welcome. i dont mind whatsoever. as long as there's money left in my pocket when the transaction is done, i wouldnt bitch and moan about it.

Offline ADALEINE

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #19: July 22, 2008, 10:58:35 AM»
if i dont want people to know who i am i use a name i dont get on very often, and that no one knows i have, since like... if i offer 10 gd on an alt and i want to remain anonymous to other buyers/people, the person who HAS the alt knows who i am, and im not comfortable with it. or if i dont mind a very close friend knowing im getting/wanting that alt ill ask them to offer on it and say its for a friend, etc. idk. i like my privacy. e__e

Offline Hyorin

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #20: July 22, 2008, 07:34:00 PM»
I honestly don't have that much faith in people nowadays; call me paranoid but I don't want someone to swoop in and buy an alt that I'm interested in simply because I'M interested in it, or be harassed on it later on. Also this is just my mentality idk if it's the same for others but I lurk a lot and I've observed stuff about people, so I'd be more likely to bid on an alt if the current bidder was someone who I was pretty sure wouldn't be able to place a higher bid. (I'M ALSO AFRAID OF SOMEONE THINKING LIKE THIS ABOUT ME.)

I go on Furc mostly for a select few friends and by keeping things private and down-playing what I do, I sort of decrease the risk of getting bothered. So yes, I do bid anonymously, but not because I'm ashamed of what I buy.

Offline Belial

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #21: July 22, 2008, 08:33:43 PM»
If I didn't want people to bother me I wouldn't make an alt and not list it. I'd ignore them.

Digital Love

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #22: July 23, 2008, 07:02:33 AM»
That's easier said than done when people try to obsessively connect you to the things you do.

I'm a pretty generous person and I've bought alts, premades and even commissioned artists for friends because I love them a lot or I trade with them. But even so, if word gets out I'm SOMEHOW connected to them, whether I bought the alt/art for them or gave one of my old ones, there are people in certain dreams who seem keen on harassing them because of it. To name an example, I bought an alt and gave it to a friend I owed money. She plays the character and got whispered by someone to the point of insults and harassment because the seller told her I bought the alt, accusing my friend to be me. Since that person hates me (only god knows why though) they tried every inane theory after the other trying to convince my friend to tell her it's me. She had to end up putting that person on the silence rule to be rid of the harassment.

There are people who are that petty.

So yes, making a new alt and buying with that alt IS a really great way to get a hold of something without being bothered, because ultimately it can end up affecting others too.

Offline Hugo

Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #23: July 23, 2008, 10:00:53 AM»
Is this thread about anon. buyers or people who spend hundreds to thousands on names? I laugh at anyone who spends more than thirty and even then the alt has to be ported quite a few times.

As for anon. buyers... What is the complaint? That's like saying: FUCK THE WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM I WANT TO KNOW THE NAMES OF THE JURORS!

How the hell do you go overboard with being anonymous? You can't. How are you even complaining?

Digital Love

• Topic Author
Anonymous buyers.
«Reply #24: July 23, 2008, 10:15:44 AM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
How the hell do you go overboard with being anonymous? You can't. How are you even complaining?

By being an unreasonable drama queen many go overboard with being anonymous. It's not a life or death situation, but there are people who treat it exactly like one.

supersaver