supersaver

Author Topic: A Name and It's Design  (Read 11845 times)

Offline Ambi

A Name and It's Design
«: July 15, 2008, 03:11:45 PM»
... first post here ever. Mmh.

Every once in a while, you'll end up seeing a really, really nice alt name. You just end up having to go "wow... that's such an awesome name. I wonder what the character looks like." You decide to go to their site or click one of their photobucket links, or maybe even see the port. The odd thing is... the design is probably on the opposite side of the spectrum from it's name.

Does this bother anybody else? I mean... I'll give one of my own alts as an example. Carnival, if you will. I gave them a nice storyline, and a really decent design.

But if I was really off, I could've just... I don't know... turned him into raging sea creature (sorry, Dio). Does this really have anything to do with the name? Hardly.

I just wanna know what your take on this is. Does it bother you? Do you never really care? Do you do the same thing? Or do you find it to be a bit absurd?

I don't mean to bash anybody who does this. I just wanna know your thoughts. n_n

Offline Tonks

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #1: July 15, 2008, 03:19:45 PM»
I like to design things based off the name, but sometimes I don't. It really depends on the name and what resources I have at the time. Like Wonka, I wanted to model her after the obvious, but I had to prioritize and I ended up not doing anything with it.

Sometimes it bothers me, other times it doesn't. I guess it depends on the name and the design. If it's really bad, I guess it bothers me a little bit, but really, it's their alt and they can do what they want with it.

Offline Cowboy

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #2: July 15, 2008, 03:29:20 PM»
It's funny that this was posted, because I was thinking the same thing the other day.

But it irks me when I see a name that I could think of 298392839283 awesome things to do with that would fit the name and it's meaning if it has one, but the character design placed on it is just... plain. To me, it just seems like a waste of a good idea, but it's not really my business.

I do respect that people can do whatever they want to do with their name/character however, and if I want to do my own thing with it so badly I can just buy it from them if they're selling.
in-game contact: cowboy, dormy

Offline Narnia

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #3: July 15, 2008, 03:30:10 PM»
What would you do with a name like Narnia?...
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Tonks

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #4: July 15, 2008, 03:32:12 PM»
Fawn....................

Offline Ambi

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #5: July 15, 2008, 03:37:29 PM»
Quote from: "Mithy"
Fawn....................

Seconded...

Offline Kenny

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #6: July 15, 2008, 03:39:19 PM»
Quote from: "Ambi"
Fawn....................

Seconded...

third........ ed...............

Offline Kenny

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #7: July 15, 2008, 03:47:52 PM»
Yeah, I notice this a lot.

It seems like it's most commonly done with animals/insects. Does everything have to be a canine? True, on occasion someone with a half decent imagination will do something creative with the name, but things like...  the name Ant. You see the design and it's a canine of some type-probably a wolf-with Roman numerals on it and/or rainbow markings. And wings.
It's like ........ um. What?

Also true, though, it is the owners right to do whatever they want with the character since it's theirs and they most likely paid for it, but it's just. Come on. u_u There are probably ten gazillion better things you could do with the name.

Not saying to make Ant a literal ant-but have a little creativity. #SL

I strongly agree with Vanity on pretty much every point made.

Offline Julie

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #8: July 15, 2008, 04:55:23 PM»
Quote from: "Nazi"
Quote from: "Ambi"
Fawn....................

Seconded...

third........ ed...............

best idea ever

urrr

it doesnt really bother me. sometimes, i end up liking what the owner does with the char, even if it DOESNT correspond with the name. but when its like, blatantly different, and doesnt look good, i... really dont like that at all.

i dont think i have any characters with blatantly diff. designs, except maybe lord, since he's feral, but IC he has a kind of higher-than-you attitude (though i have yet to roleplay him).

i recently got the alt Unholy, and i, personally, would think it absurd to make it like omg i r gawd!!!! though the deisgn is still pending, i'll definately be making it.. dark, roooar, etcetc what the fuck ever.

END

Vince

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #9: July 15, 2008, 04:57:54 PM»
OKAY as you know, i was raging about this very topic a few days ago.

i know this sounds bad but like... it's really sad to see a nice name coupled with a really, really bad design. one that makes everyone go "wtf." a name really is supposed to reflect the object the name is given to.

let's take bands for example. if you're into black and death metal like i am, you don't want to listen to a band whose name is something like "my chemical romance." you'd rather listen to a band whose name is "megadeth" or "the faceless."

it just seems that people get nice alt names and stick on a completely irrelevant design for it, and they only reason why they have the name is, oh my god, because it's "cool."

it's decieving and heart breaking (for lack of a better word) when people throw around designs on alts when it's supposed to be a reflection of them, at some extent, as well. but... what can you do? those are the type of people who continuously have to get a new alt and design because they're tired of their current one. but obviously, if you design a decent character, you wouldn't get tired of it.

it's sad to see people with names that really do not compliment designs because as stated previously, i always just sit there and go "wow, i could've done a much better design." one that actually suits the name.

i was saying a couple of days ago that character designing is like graphic design or website design. designing is all about having your focus on one thing, and in character designing it should be on the character as a whole, and not the accessories or personality.

TL;DR people need to learn to design characters. and yes. it pisses me the fuck off.

Offline Julie

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #10: July 15, 2008, 05:00:27 PM»
Quote from: "Worm"
i was saying a couple of days ago that character designing is like graphic design or website design. designing is all about having your focus on one thing, and in character designing it should be on the character as a whole, and not the accessories or personality.

i think that's very well-said, and a great reference

Offline Belial

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #11: July 15, 2008, 05:27:35 PM»
People get pissed off sometimes that my alt Beliel isn't a demon. And that it isn't some sort of video game character I tell them I'm sorry that I have original characters and to suck it up. lol

Offline Zim

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #12: July 15, 2008, 05:35:59 PM»
I've had people get furious at me for my design for Goku. I don't use him for DBZ, and I don't use him for Saiyuki. I based him off the character Son Goku from the Journey to the West (Chinese story. Look it up), so he's still ape-like. I try to keep my alt designs similar enough to the name for the very reasons Worm has said.

In fact, I came across the design the other day of a scene wolf.... for a name that had to do with WWII. It made no sense, and bothered me deeply, especially because pretty much every single one of there characters looked just like that one. See, not only do some peoples' designs irritate me, but some people have no creativity whatsoever, and think it's AWESOME OMG to make every character look like a carbon copy of the last.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it short of purchasing the names that are for sale that we'd use and design ourselves.

It's the main reason I don't keep the designs of alts when I get them.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Sin

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #13: July 15, 2008, 05:54:44 PM»
.insane.

Offline Zim

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #14: July 15, 2008, 06:11:47 PM»
Oh, before this gets out of hand, let's not bash any characters, please... especially by name. :B

Offline Kenny

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #15: July 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM»
sigh.

all in all, it just DEEPLY. DEEPLY. saddens me to see awesome fucking names go to waste. :|
yeah, there's nothing anyone but the designer can do about it but nonetheless.

AGREED tina.
Quote from: "Worm"
it's decieving and heart breaking (for lack of a better word)

you also make a lot of valid points, as always.

Offline Cowboy

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #16: July 15, 2008, 06:35:23 PM»
Quote from: "Zim"
In fact, I came across the design the other day of a scene wolf.... for a name that had to do with WWII.

........ That made me cringe...
in-game contact: cowboy, dormy

Offline Kenny

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #17: July 15, 2008, 06:36:46 PM»
Quote from: "Vanity"
In fact, I came across the design the other day of a scene wolf.... for a name that had to do with WWII.

tch. you didnt even see it. be glad

it........ it.............. ;_______;
i am scarred for life.

Offline Julie

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #18: July 15, 2008, 06:41:34 PM»
Quote from: "Nazi"
Quote from: "Vanity"

tch. you didnt even see it. be glad

it........ it.............. ;_______;
i am scarred for life.[/b]

now im curious

where might one find a link to this ... scene dog

Vince

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #19: July 15, 2008, 06:42:28 PM»
gb2/being on topic and not that retarded scene dog you cockstains

Offline Kenny

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #20: July 15, 2008, 07:02:13 PM»
fucking loling

Offline Zim

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #21: July 15, 2008, 07:03:27 PM»
Tina, despite how harsh her wording, is quite right.

Let's keep it on-topic, please. <:

Offline lolo

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #22: July 15, 2008, 07:25:05 PM»
I hate selling a really awesome name, hoping that great things shall be done with what I once cherished!!!!
then having it turned into an absolutely horrifying waste of mental brainfart dust from the purchaser.
makes me sad to see the name i'd used and had high hopes for circling the drain with a ridiculous design.

Offline Kenny

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #23: July 15, 2008, 07:45:42 PM»
agreed. ;_;

Fairy

A Name and It's Design
«Reply #24: July 15, 2008, 11:18:33 PM»
I do it to piss people off, but mostly just a second design on the alt.

But the main fact is, theres no real point in stressing over it.
If youre that upset about it, I'd suggest getting off furcadia.
This obviously means you take the internet too seriously and a childrens game is getting to you. {This isnt meant to offend, Im just saying the real truth =l Ive been majorly offended before over stupid shit that ... no one should be offended over, just because I let this place consume me like a drug would}