supersaver

Author Topic: Naia Green - The Great Debate  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Sin

Naia Green - The Great Debate
«: July 14, 2008, 11:37:56 AM»
First of all, I would like to say this isn't to thrash the guardians, this isn't to disable a 'frozen' character or anything. I just want opinions.

Okay -- so all I hear are stories of people getting map-banned from Naia for petty reasons like 'Caps Lock' or the word 'Lesbian' without getting warnings none the less.

I have also heard stories of people 'LAUGHING' after the warning has been told -- and not continuing the behavior getting mapbanned.

I however -- mentioned cocaine. Instead of getting map banned, (which I thought I did) I got Yoda frozen for a week. It bothers me that my CHinchilla is 1/4th ripped off now -- but other than that sure I deserve it, and so did one of my friends, but the other didn't oh well.

So to me it's just like -- should they really be so strong with Naia Green I mean -- a WARNING could be fair enough. Even if we know what we are doing is wrong -- a warning is like UH-OH THE COPS ARE HERE. And, that would be a stop for someone like me.

So just curious on FAM's thoughts.
.insane.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #1: July 14, 2008, 11:59:13 AM»
Yes they should strong-arm Naia. If you don't like the policing policies there, hang out somewhere else.

Naia is the first impression players get of the game. It should be a pleasant one in which they should feel comfortable approaching anyone without questionable conversations and derogatory remarks flying about.

No notice should be required for their actions either. You are already on notice and have your warning with http://www.furcadia.com/naia/ and http://www.furcadia.com/useragreement/.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Bam

«Reply #2: July 14, 2008, 12:19:24 PM»
i agree with narn.
you have your warning, if you dont like it, go somewhere else?

Even if we know what we are doing is wrong -- a warning is like UH-OH THE COPS ARE HERE. And, that would be a stop for someone like me.

i'm sorry, but that's just stupid. so you'd like a warning when 'the cops are around' so you can just go back to doing the same shit when they aren't?
you're asking for a lighter punishment, even though you know what the rules are.
sorry, but no. and i prefer it stay that way.
hang out somewhere else, or stop breaking the rules.

Offline Sin

«Reply #3: July 14, 2008, 12:48:44 PM»
Well as much as the way I made it sound -- by a warning people get warning's for speeding all the time.

A simple FLASH OF THE LIGHTS would be nice. For christ sake CAPS LOCK -- shouldn't ever be something that can get you in trouble. Just because Kail Eldeross doesn't like it doesn't mean it's against the ToS. If someone can find me in the ToS where it says Caps Lock isn't around -- sure i'll never caps lock anything again.

Yes, I know it is agitating but still
.insane.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #4: July 14, 2008, 12:55:29 PM»
User Agreement:

20. Temporary policies may go into effect at any time for various things going on in-world. These will not be listed in this document, but you may be informed of them through other means (Opening Screen announcement, In-World Announcement, Entrytext on maps, or directly from a staff member or Guardian). You agree that you will abide by these when informed of them.

Emphasis was added by me.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline SLASHERS.

«Reply #5: July 14, 2008, 12:57:23 PM»
Naia is supposed to be kept very clean. Why? Because its the first impression people even get of furcadia! I may have a more biased opinion, since I am a welcomer, but I mean come on. say its your first twelve seconds in furcadia, and before you even get greeted by a friendly beekin, there are people around you talking about lesbians shooting up crack cocain? Some people might not care, but we have to remember how young some players are.. i don't know i really don't have a big conclusion to wrap up this post, but all i'm trying to say is i think they have every right to map-ban a person without warning, because some people WILL do it again, and it only takes a few seconds to get someone completely uninterested in a game they are just starting.
you know what, if you don't like it, get on the internet and complain.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #6: July 14, 2008, 01:16:20 PM»
Quote from: "Yoda"
Well as much as the way I made it sound -- by a warning people get warning's for speeding all the time.

People also get tickets for speeding all the time. However, you're more likely to get a warning on a country back road than the interstate highway. Naia is your interstate highway and Goldwyn is your country back road.

Offline LSD

«Reply #7: July 14, 2008, 03:22:33 PM»
Quote from: "Narnia"

People also get tickets for speeding all the time. However, you're more likely to get a warning on a country back road than the interstate highway. Naia is your interstate highway and Goldwyn is your country back road.

wtg narnia
x)
alts in thread, quitting

Offline Zim

«Reply #8: July 14, 2008, 03:28:00 PM»

</thread>

Everyone else has pretty much covered everything.

Naia is is place for newfurries and FIRST IMPRESSIONS. If you want to be vulgar and goof off, there are far more appropriate places to do so, such as in a private dream or Hawthorne.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline Mau

«Reply #9: July 14, 2008, 03:40:21 PM»
Quote from: "Zim"

</thread>

Everyone else has pretty much covered everything.

Naia is is place for newfurries and FIRST IMPRESSIONS. If you want to be vulgar and goof off, there are far more appropriate places to do so, such as in a private dream or Hawthorne.

that's how i feel.

furcadia is incredibly lenient on other main maps anyway, so i think its good that at least one map is designated for new players and is thus kept fairly tame. you'd be surprised what you'd get away with elsewhere, so i'd suggest finding a new place to socialize to prevent something like this from happening in the future.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #10: July 14, 2008, 03:50:12 PM»
</thread>

Wait, what? No. Say it isn't true! =(

Someone argue with me intelligently about this topic still.

Offline Mau

«Reply #11: July 14, 2008, 03:51:03 PM»
</thread>

Wait, what? No. Say it isn't true! =(

Someone argue with me intelligently about this topic still.

but you said it all already! intelligently, too.

Offline Gallifreyan

«Reply #12: July 14, 2008, 03:55:24 PM»
I could say that numberous times I've complained about people talking about Pedophillia/Rape and Narcotics in Naia and seen nothing done about it for the Furre to remain there.

I know, yes, Naia is for New Furre's etc, but when a player does something more trivial like using caps lock as compared to the ones mentioning rape and pedophillia, you get a little unerved at the lack of justice around.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #13: July 14, 2008, 04:07:17 PM»
If we wanted some real fun, I'd link you to my posts on the Furcadia forums from late 2006 when I went at it with Em in regards to the policies in Naia. My views have changed significantly since then.

However, for fear that you will all raise the thread from the dead, I won't.

Offline Sin

«Reply #14: July 14, 2008, 04:24:10 PM»
Oh, I believe I read it. She always threw fits about "I ALREADY COULDN'T STOP HAVEN I'LL BE DAMNED IF I LET NAIA DO THE SAME" or something of those lines.

Yes, I understand Naia is for people's roots I am just pissed off - because most of the people in Naia are obviously late teens to adults. Why do people ruin hang-outs like FurN and such so these people gah.

I agree with Narnia. I'm sorry for the thread. Just sort-of bitter that the people I enjoy talking to hang out in the church of Naia.
.insane.

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #15: July 15, 2008, 03:11:10 AM»
i get the caps lock shit but being punished for discussing lesbians or cocaine??? i remember going into naia and seeing some pretty fucking suggestive ports with thongs and boys in skirts with their packages showing w/ beekin badges on.

Fairy

«Reply #16: July 15, 2008, 05:15:28 AM»
I just feel like they go overboard a lot, you all say its a good thing, but I dont think so.

Some of the guardians I meet in naia, are just as bad as us. Ive heard them talking about getting drunk, hell, one even logged on and ran around naia DRUNK

So, Im not so sure the system is all that great. The other thing that bugs me is I've know kids twice as young as I am, that know more about sex than I do. Which may be sad on my part, but still. Saying the word Lesbian or talking about certain subjects usually is no big deal to some people.

So yes, its nice that they keep it clean for everyone, but some things I feel are just too much.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #17: July 15, 2008, 08:24:54 AM»
Seconding what Kuja said.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #18: July 15, 2008, 08:29:16 AM»
They only selectively police Naia. If you're a friend of someone with banning power, you will never be removed from the map no matter how you act or what you say.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #19: July 15, 2008, 08:32:39 AM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
They only selectively police Naia. If you're a friend of someone with banning power, you will never be removed from the map no matter how you act or what you say.

But when you cross that friend in any way you're likely to get banned for saying damn or piss or gossiping amongst your friends.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #20: July 15, 2008, 08:34:40 AM»
Exactly. And it's especially startling since you'd think that Naia would be the once place where it wouldn't happen. It isn't that all guardians are slanted (Hell, half of them are never around to do so), but the ones that make their homes in Naia more often than not abuse their abilities.

They ban for personal reasons and then play the 'just upholding Naia rules' :o card.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #21: July 15, 2008, 08:48:23 AM»
I know from personal knowledge that your statement is inaccurate.

Numerous people who are friends of the guardians have been map banned from Naia. In fact, I myself have been map banned from Naia.

Offline Hugo

«Reply #22: July 15, 2008, 08:50:25 AM»
That isn't to say there isn't in-fighting between Guardians. Another guardian is more likely to ban the friend since they're just a random person to them.

Besides, I saw you trying to put pipe bombs under the welcome mat. No wonder you got banned!

EDIT: Friend asked that I post this. Views expressed are not necessarily my own. It's from an online journal.

Method 2: Negatively reinforce bad behavior

People that have children who consistently fight over the television set are probably pretty annoyed with me right around now. As far as they are concerned, ending the fighting once and for all is just not worth their big screen plasma.

Fortunately, there is an alternative solution to this problem. In short, you have to negatively reinforce the fighting.

Before you do this, it’s only fair to explain the consequences to the bad behavior. The next time your children argue over the TV, simply say, “Every time you fight over that television set, it goes off for the night.”

Then, when they argue, quietly walk over to the television and switch it off. Ignore them completely when they protest. Likely you’ll hear them mutter, “See what you did!” to each other and that will be the end of it.

Now please, unless you very strongly suspect that your children are blubbering f*cking idiots, refrain explaining the consequences to them again the next day if the whole war breaks out all over again. A lot of parents get into the habit of ‘gently reminding’ the kids over and over and over again what will happen if they break the rules. They say shit like, “Remember what happened yesterday when you guys fought over the TV?”

Of course they remember, you f*cking d#*%hebag. They’re opportunists, not morons.

Not only is reminding them a stupid, ridiculous waste of time, but ultimately, you are training your child to always expect a warning. You are turning your explanation of the consequences into a mere threat. Pretty soon, you will have them thinking, “I can get away with fighting all the way up until Mom threatens to turn off the TV. Then, I have to be quiet.”

If that’s your goal, fine. I, on the other hand, absolutely despise repeating myself. So once I’ve outlined the consequences of bad behavior and I’m positive the child understands what is expected of him, nothing more is said on the subject. My only job is to calmly and quietly turn that TV off the very second they start fighting.

Trust me, they’ll get the point."

Offline Cristina

«Reply #23: July 15, 2008, 10:13:38 AM»
I can understand banning people for caps locks (if thats a set rule) and talking about sex or drug use...
But someone please explain to me why typing the word 'lesbian' is ban worthy.
Sounds a little homophobic if you ask me....Like lesbians are some bad influence upon the "youngins'" of furcadia.

On a side note, 'The Church of Naia' comment made me lol.

Offline Narnia

«Reply #24: July 15, 2008, 10:19:09 AM»
Are alternative lifestyles G rated?

Disney says no.

Oh, and most state legislatures agree that they should be banned.