supersaver

Poll

What do YOU want in a dream?

Socializing (Anthro/furrie) (Strict rules, small map)
6 (11.8%)
Socializing (Feral) (Strict rules, small map)
0 (0%)
Socializing (Anthro/furrie) (Loose rules, small map)
8 (15.7%)
Socializing (Feral) (Loose rules, small map)
0 (0%)
Roleplaying (Anthro/furrie) (Strict rules)
3 (5.9%)
Roleplaying (Feral) (Strict rules)
9 (17.6%)
Roleplaying (Anthro/furrie) (Loose rules)
12 (23.5%)
Roleplaying (Feral) (Loose rules)
7 (13.7%)
BaH's
0 (0%)
Other (Please post with a specification!)
6 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: July 13, 2008, 11:07:40 PM

Author Topic: What you look for in a dream.  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Julie

What you look for in a dream.
«: July 13, 2008, 11:07:40 PM»
SORRY FOR SO MANY POLL ANSWERS ;_;

At the request of a friend, I'm making this thread for her <3

She's trying to make a somewhat-popular dream, but unfortunately I'm not much of a dreamhopper, and neither of us know what the MASS wants in a dream.

When you're looking for a nice dream to go to, and possibly hang there for a very long time, what do you look for?

You don't have to be nitty-gritty with details. General ideas are welcome!

edit; i am ALSO somewhat aware that theres another dream thread around here?? but i havent seen it for months, so. if mods deem it correct to lock this, go ahead.~

Offline Kratos

«Reply #1: July 13, 2008, 11:16:53 PM»
http://www.furcartzone.com/index.php?topic=1900.0

theres some suggestions mixed in with discussion here

Offline SLASHERS.

«Reply #2: July 13, 2008, 11:19:07 PM»
this is just my opinion, but i like to see dreams with activities.. like you can sit around and talk to your friends, OR if youre the only one online, or youre just looking for something to do, there are some kind of little random things to do. like, for example, in Mystic Homes, (i know, its a BAH, but you know) you can decorate your house, or they have that thing where you can grow fruit and vegetables and sell them for mystic scales. im not saying you should make a farm dream or anything, but thats what i mean by activities. plus it keeps people in the dream longer, because their waiting to finish their activity. :>

just a suggestion.
you know what, if you don't like it, get on the internet and complain.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #3: July 13, 2008, 11:24:41 PM»
Thanks for the suggestion and the link, guys. c:

Offline ADALEINE

«Reply #4: July 14, 2008, 12:03:40 AM»
humans. if humans arent allowed i personally dont even want to go near the dream. i know a few other people who are excellent rpers who feel the same way.

feral dreams are overrated, very few actually get attention so i wouldnt bother with one.

anthro/human/feral acceptance in the same dream, with realistic shit for ferals such as 'not being able to speak to humans/anthros, but make animal noises', etc is awesome. also ferals who arent 10 feet tall. what the fuck is up with that.

idk im tired sorry for useless posts

Bam

«Reply #5: July 14, 2008, 09:45:59 AM»
where the hell is the yiff option?

Digital Love

«Reply #6: July 14, 2008, 10:16:11 AM»
What I write here is a set of rules/guidelines/ideas that appeal to me and how I would run my own dream. I'm a strict roleplayer and enjoy the idea the dream I'm in fully supports my storylines and gives me new chances for new alts.

So don't take this as a "OMFG DO IT NAO" kind of thing, but see it as my personal view on the idea of a strict Roleplaying dream:

- No useless space. If there's one thing that turns me off from a dream is a huge vast space that's never used and everyone huddling away in some corner for some socialization. A dream should only be the size of its current population, big enough to allow for a few extra people but small enough so that people can easily roleplay with each other.

- Have a well-thought out idea of the dream theme. Nothing worse than a dream that could be anything without any direction for the roleplay that goes there. Aka make sure people can tell it's a medieval theme or modern sci-fi theme, nothing inbetween. It causes confusion and misunderstandings, not to mention it often clashes with what people look for.

- Offer a strict continuity with firm rules that are enforced equally; if people know what's expected of them and the rules are enforced consistently, people will feel more at ease and less jumpy out of fear to do something wrong. Nothing damages your reputation as bad as loose ends on the staff side of things, too, so if you hire people make sure they don't go nuts with power.

- If you opt for a strict RP community limit the OOC area some. If people feel they can talk in an OOC area all day long they're less motivated to go out into the dream and roleplay and will instead spend most of their time chatting. This has a negative effect on the strict roleplay side of the dream since less people wander out and instead treat your dream like a chatbox. (Course, that's fully up to what kind of dream it is. I'm speaking from a strict Roleplay perspective)

- Don't give trolls and nuisances too many chances. If they repeat the offense a second time and you want to give them more chances it will only annoy the visitors when they keep going wrong over and over again. Don't go into a frenzy with a banhammer, but don't be too generous with the bad kind of people either. They won't change no matter how often you tell them to watch their behavior. (Comes from personal experience here)

- And as FINCH mentioned, don't disallow any races of roleplay. Stupidest thing someone can do is exclude something out of 'hyooman hate' and similar. The more variation you allow the bigger your dream will get, because people will see your dream as a haven with tolerance from all the intolerant dreams.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Offline Sync

«Reply #7: July 14, 2008, 10:25:16 AM»
well, first i look at patching really just to see if it's MH number 47 or an original dream.

then if i like what i see, i try to talk to the people or come back later if they're afk. i mean, if the main groupies are complete snobs that definitely makes me want to leave.

i personally like feral dreams yeah, but not ones that disallow other races and are so damn strict that you have to have "natural colors"(but if you're black with white stars all over your body, you're cool!).

and yeah same with slashers. i like having stuff to do when nobody's around.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #8: July 14, 2008, 04:21:44 PM»
Alrighty. Thanks again for input. <3

I agree a lot with Sync.  I never want to stay if people are snobs, especially with my ridiculously short fuse.

So, if I read everything right, combining with the poll votes, a lot of people would go for a dream where everything is acceptable, maybe with a feral local or something, with some roleplaying in the background, but games and things to do by yourself if you're bored and just need something to do, on a fairly small map with semi-loose rules. </walloftext>

Annnd unique patches. Maybe when I get some cash I can pay for some nice custom ones or something.

Then the runner up is RPing.

Offline Kratos

«Reply #9: July 14, 2008, 04:31:20 PM»
unique patches ARE nice, but not necessary.
as long as your patches match and run together smoothly and don't look like shit, then i'm personally fine with it.
for example, mixing patches by The Mint Mink with Furcadia's defaults WOULD NOT WORK. its not smooth enough, and has no flow when mixed.
keep that in mind.

also, keep staff and people in line.
be lenient, but not overly so.
don't be like a certain dream i won't mention and be like "IF YOU CAP OVER 3 WORDS IN A ROW YOU GET A WARNING!!" or "THE WORD K IS NETSPEAK, TYPE YOUR WORDS!!"
and of course, don't let people get away with spamming racial slurs, on the other end of the spectrum.

Offline Julie

«Reply #10: July 14, 2008, 06:03:33 PM»
Quote from: "Bam"

oh sorry i guess i forgot that one. ;_;

*goes to see how to edit polls*

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #11: July 14, 2008, 07:34:10 PM»
Quote from: "Julie"
Quote from: "Bam"

oh sorry i guess i forgot that one. ;_;

*goes to see how to edit polls*

Yiff could go into the "other" category? lol

Edit - But now that I think about it. Lets skip the "Please post with a specification" if it is indeed yiff that your choosing other for. >.> Hah.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Vince

«Reply #12: July 14, 2008, 11:37:04 PM»
i like dreams/areas i can go to where i can say whatever the hell i want without being persecuted for the content, regardless of what it is...

Offline Hugo

«Reply #13: July 15, 2008, 12:10:49 AM»
Roleplaying, any species (especially human), reasonable rules with filters to keep twinks out.

Offline kotzen

«Reply #14: July 15, 2008, 12:47:05 AM»
Quote from: "FINCH"
humans. if humans arent allowed i personally dont even want to go near the dream. i know a few other people who are excellent rpers who feel the same way.

Offline Hunny

«Reply #15: July 15, 2008, 12:52:22 AM»
Quote from: "Kotzen"
Quote from: "FINCH"

Vince

«Reply #16: July 15, 2008, 12:54:47 AM»
i think that's enough of quoting the same thing...

Offline Hugo

«Reply #17: July 15, 2008, 01:27:50 AM»
Why not? Would you prefer they all said the same thing with different words?

Vince

«Reply #18: July 15, 2008, 01:31:38 AM»
yes, i would, because they could add a little spin on their idea, rather than just the same thing over and over. but this is getting off topic..

Offline Tillandsia

«Reply #19: July 15, 2008, 02:14:14 AM»
Somewhat strict RP for me, if it is feral, anthro, or human- I want everyone's character to belong in the same setting as mine, and that only happens with restrictions.

Offline Cowboy

«Reply #20: July 15, 2008, 12:48:36 PM»
For the whole strict/loose thing, I personally prefer how the dream I hang out has it.

It's both roleplaying/socializing depending on what people feel like doing, ferals/anthros/humans/whatever are allowed (we've even had a bookshelf character come in...), and the roleplay rules are really leniant. We call it the 'freedom rule', where posts can be anything from a persona sentence to IC paragraphs. But generally, if people start wanting to go IC, everyone will do semi - para posts.

I really like having the option of either talking OOC with friends or having serious roleplay. Having freedom is what kept me around. But, I'm sure not everyone agrees, and I can totally understand why some people would prefer to have a strict IC dream that's directed towards one genre than one that allows anything. This is just my personal opinion, and everyone else who I talk to at the dream I frequent says that's what kept them around too.

Quote from: "SLASHERS."
this is just my opinion, but i like to see dreams with activities.. like you can sit around and talk to your friends, OR if youre the only one online, or youre just looking for something to do, there are some kind of little random things to do. like, for example, in Mystic Homes, (i know, its a BAH, but you know) you can decorate your house, or they have that thing where you can grow fruit and vegetables and sell them for mystic scales. im not saying you should make a farm dream or anything, but thats what i mean by activities. plus it keeps people in the dream longer, because their waiting to finish their activity. :>

And I think that this is a great idea! I've never really been to a BAH or anything like that, but it would be nice to have something to do when there's no one to talk to.
in-game contact: cowboy, dormy

Offline Atheist

What I think...
«Reply #21: August 04, 2008, 07:51:49 PM»
Quote from: "Taylor"
i like dreams/areas i can go to where i can say whatever the hell i want without being persecuted for the content, regardless of what it is...

I also very much like interaction with the dream. Not necessarily build a home type dreams, but a good while back in the Challenges area there were tons of dreams uploaded where you could enter the dream and be thrown into a quest.

In fact there was one I enjoyed particularly that had music, secret passages, hidden notes, haunted graves and the like that you had to visit in order to make it to the top floor to collect your baseball. The theme was cute and I enjoyed it. It was one of those sort of dreams also that you'd screenshot yourself at the end for a job well done and later reference to yourself stating proof of your victory!

Other dreams included one that had an Indiana Jones theme and you had to escape a Nazi camp. That one, needless to say, I never beat. ^^;

Nevertheless, I love interaction! The festival was fun with the boat, the Primes Goddess, and the "special" catnip. There needs to be more of those sort of dreams and if there is, I have no clue where to find them!

It's sad that the Challenges Map has been under construction for so long. I also miss those dreams that had a variety of musical elements to them. :/

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Yasutora

«Reply #22: August 05, 2008, 03:39:56 AM»
I personally enjoy dreams which are based on a series due to the fact that your capable of seeing what exactly would be overpowered, and some strategies a certain person used during the series. I enjoy original dreams aswel but they don't seem to be as popular.

Generally I try to stick to human type dreams, because I have no idea how exactly a wolf RP would work. You mate, make bebes, and then.... eet them?

Asfor OOC content, I say it depends on the population of the dream. If theres under 15-20 people, go ahead and allow free ooc with the exception of when someone is roleplaying. If its over that try to contain it to a room. I hate dreams which are telling you to go OOC alone in the OOC room, when really its only you and 2-3 other people in the dream.

Joel

«Reply #23: August 12, 2008, 10:09:34 PM»
dgdgdsgs
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:12:47 PM by joel »