supersaver

Author Topic: i think i missed the bus on this one  (Read 1882 times)

hymn

• Topic Author
i think i missed the bus on this one
«: June 24, 2008, 03:20:04 PM»
okay. i have to ask this question. because i do not understand why people who sell alts throw shit fits about it.

if you sell an alt, you sell all rights to that alt. its not yours anymore. so why is it that people who sell alts believe that they can restrict whoever buys that alt from changing the design, or not selling it again? granted, a person can choose NOT to sell an alt, but if the deal is already done?

do sellers REALLY get a say after the transfer has been made?

Offline Zim

«Reply #1: June 24, 2008, 03:31:33 PM»
I can understand why some people put restrictions on if they don't want the alt resold, because some alts tend to get passed around like STDs.

Some people consider it to be a sort of contract when you buy an alt... For example, if you buy this alt you agree to blah blah blah and you cannot resell. If someone doesn't want to follow those rules, then they can just not trade. I had a guy a while ago who said that he'd only trade me his alt if I agreed to possible tradebacks if he decided he missed the alt. As much as I wanted the name, I didn't think it was fair that I should be ripped off like that, especially since I was going to actually put money into the name for art and the like. Do I regret it? No.

Likewise, I have at least 2 alts I got from someone who I promised never to trade them, as part of the trade deal. One was her old main, which I can really understand her not wanting it to be sold repeatedly, as it could fall into the hands of people who disliked her (there are a few, hence why I am not naming names).

Everyone has their own reasons for setting trade restrictions. If you don't agree with them, don't buy. It's really that simple.

You could also go behind the person's back and trade it, but that would be a breach of etiquette, since you did agree to not selling it in the first place.

The same goes for art. If you didn't want the design to begin with, you could have made an arrangement when buying the alt, so that they could use the design they worked so hard on on a different character, and you get to switch it to whatever you want. I haven't seen this one quite as much, though.

tl;dr: if you're bothered by their restrictions, try talking to them about it to arrange a compromise, or don't buy at all.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Vince

• Topic Author
«Reply #2: June 24, 2008, 03:50:23 PM»
fuck you for taking the words out of my mouth, jen. >:/

hymn

• Topic Author
«Reply #3: June 24, 2008, 03:58:09 PM»
actually, i meant after the trade was already complete with no knowledge that the trader didn't want you changing things. n_n

and i agree about the trade-backs, i was more concerned with traders who throw fits over people changing the designs of alts they've already bought.

Offline Zim

«Reply #4: June 24, 2008, 04:08:42 PM»
Well, if it's after the fact, then they have no say whatsoever. They did not impose any restrictions, they did not notify you before the deal was done... so it's out of their hands, and no longer their business.

I'm only mean out of necessity.

hymn

• Topic Author
«Reply #5: June 24, 2008, 05:02:02 PM»
Quote from: "Zim"
Well, if it's after the fact, then they have no say whatsoever. They did not impose any restrictions, they did not notify you before the deal was done... so it's out of their hands, and no longer their business.

i tend to agree. xD

Offline Sibsy

«Reply #6: June 24, 2008, 06:48:17 PM»
WHO KATY

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #7: June 24, 2008, 07:00:57 PM»
To me personally. If the trader did not specify at the time of the trade, and both parties to agree on it as an actual condition of the trade, be it either re-sell or change of design or re-use of the design or whatever, if it was *not* stated in the trade conditions, then if the person re-sells it/blahblah/ect then the original sell'er person of the alt has no real grounds of actually getting mad at said person.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

hymn

• Topic Author
«Reply #8: June 24, 2008, 08:01:17 PM»
makes sense to me. xD as far as i understand, that is what happened with my friend. she bought the alt from the seller, and then the seller threw a huge fit because she found out that my friend had plans to change the design. or something along those lines, im not quite sure. it just struck me as.. well, dumb.

Offline Mychelle

«Reply #9: June 24, 2008, 08:15:19 PM»
Quote from: "Katy"
makes sense to me. xD as far as i understand, that is what happened with my friend. she bought the alt from the seller, and then the seller threw a huge fit because she found out that my friend had plans to change the design. or something along those lines, im not quite sure. it just struck me as.. well, dumb.

Now that to me seems really odd. Usually your always hearing about the last owner being mad that someone is using their design because they sold it with the ports still on the name. So someone is bitching they decided to "change" the design that was already on the port? Wow. lol.
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

hymn

• Topic Author
«Reply #10: June 24, 2008, 09:13:32 PM»
Quote from: "Mychelle"
Quote from: "Katy"

Now that to me seems really odd. Usually your always hearing about the last owner being mad that someone is using their design because they sold it with the ports still on the name. So someone is bitching they decided to "change" the design that was already on the port? Wow. lol.

lmfao, i know. then again, i could be misunderstanding something, but some sellers are just that anal.

Nat

• Topic Author
«Reply #11: July 28, 2008, 05:35:24 PM»
HI LOVE. :]

you know what bothers me the most is people who expect you to sell them back an alt that you bought from them for the same price, or that they still have a claim over the act because they made it. i understand a mutual agreement, like, hey if you ever sell that alt, let me know. that's fine, but if you sell the alt to someone for cheap, and then that person resells it for more, dont get mad. no one in their right mind is going to give you back your alt for ten gds than fifty.

ily katy.

Offline Militant

«Reply #12: July 28, 2008, 07:18:14 PM»
Well, the way I see it, they sold their say in what happens with the alt along with the alt. If they want it exactly their way, then they just shouldn't sell it. When I traded for this here alt, Militant, it had two excellent feral ports on it. I added another port that's human cause I don't do feral RPing and the previous owner can't force me to do so. They had the alt for one purpose, but now that it's mine, I got the freedom to do what I want with it. Gladly they never bitched that I added an "OOC" port, anyways. But still, once it's sold, it's the buyer's choice. The seller can ask you not to do certain things, but you don't gotta cooperate. I can't sell you a burger and tell you you ain't allowed to put ketchup on it...
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." -Robert E. Lee

Digital Love

• Topic Author
«Reply #13: August 07, 2008, 05:36:08 PM»
Quote from: "Nat"
or that they still have a claim over the act because they made it.

They do. If something happens to the alt, Furc's policy is to return the alt to the person who created the alt, not who owned it last. Technically, ownership remains with the person who created the name no matter what.

That's bound to change when they implement an official trading system though.

Offline Tonks

«Reply #14: August 07, 2008, 06:27:37 PM»
Quote from: "Digital Love"

They do. If something happens to the alt, Furc's policy is to return the alt to the person who created the alt, not who owned it last. Technically, ownership remains with the person who created the name no matter what.

I believe you're also the rightful owner of an alt if you've had it for 6+ months, but that could be wrong.

Offline Julie

«Reply #15: August 07, 2008, 08:11:55 PM»
Quote from: "Mithy"
Quote from: "Digital Love"

I believe you're also the rightful owner of an alt if you've had it for 6+ months, but that could be wrong.

thats about right. HOWEVER i have heard of cases where someone has had the alt for 6+ months, it got stolen/banned/frozen, and the ORIGINAL CREATOR had to get it unfrozen.

anyways.

my view on this!

a seller does reserve every right to create their own trading guidelines. if they do not want an alt 'whored around', they will ask it not be resold, except back to them. personally there are some alts that i would like to see USED if i sell them. there are some that i request not be resold. some that i wouldnt give a shit about.

for most people, including myself, it usually depends on their sentimental value on the alt. they dont want it passed around from owner to owner, messed up beyond belief.

i have a few alts that are under strict conditions that i either 1. never sell them, UNLESS its back to the original owner, or 2. i do not resell them for a certain amount of time, so the alt is not in one million hands in two days.

i have no problem with that. i have no intentions on selling the alt, nor do i have any intention on selling them back to the owner or giving them to friends, because i bought the alt because, suprise, i WANTED it, and i WANTED to use it!

if i sell an alt that means a lot to me, say, Julie, chances are, i'll have a similar condition as number 1, mentioned above. not just because it has extreme sentimental value to me, but because i had put a lot of work into it, and i dont want to see it ruined.

Offline Kairi

«Reply #16: August 07, 2008, 09:23:05 PM»
IMO, once you sell an alt the person who bought it can do whatever they want. Sure, you can request that it not be sold again, but if they do it's not really any of your business... 'cause, sure, there might be sentimental value, but either way you no longer have rights to the alt.

Mollie

• Topic Author
«Reply #17: August 14, 2008, 08:30:00 AM»
I believe if an alt gets passed from player 1 to player 2. Player one's alt rights are gone, design is gone, whatever they sold with it is gone.  They havent a right to tell player 2 what to do with HIS/HER new alt.

hymn

• Topic Author
«Reply #18: August 14, 2008, 10:59:50 PM»
HI IM SORRY I FORGOT ABOUT THIS THREAD. O___O

cough. anyway.

it just seems silly to me. i can understand wanting the alt sold back to you, ive asked that of a few buyers myself. but i mean, technically, there isnt shit i can do if that person sells that particular alt to someone who isnt me. well, besides throw a fit. but still, what does that accomplish? things happen, i just wish more people would accept this and respond with more maturity.

but thats just me. :s