supersaver

Author Topic: alts b srs bsnss  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Julie

alts b srs bsnss
«: June 11, 2008, 02:08:05 PM»
this thread was sparked by Sphinx selling his eeveelution set for... a lot. xD

i know i'm guilty of spending $100+ on alts, but why do we do this?

do we really -need- these names? what else could we have done with the money that we throw away on these useless names? can we settle for something -close- to the 'original', instead of spending a LOT on exactly what we want?

i'm not directing this at anyone, and i do not mean to 'bash' people for doing this, because as i said, i'm guilty of this myself.

but sometimes, i do think it gets out-of-hand.

during the 'naruto craze', i know many of the 'originals' were sold for 200+ dollars, value in digos, etc.

i'm not sure what exactly i'm trying to get at. i think something along the lines of, "what are we going to get back for buying these alts?"

a feeling of acheivement?

a feeling of "i'm better than you because i have money and good names"?

hopes to 'fit in' with the 'cool' crowd with nice names?

or do these people just want the names because of the worth and value behind the names? (like names from a show, movie, game, famous book, etc)

personally, if i like the name, i'll buy it. but i do draw my price line somewhere.

if i've had my eye on it for a while, and it's something i REALLY wanted, i might be willing to pay more for it

if i know i'll use it, i'll be willing to pay more for it, too.

i know i dont need these to survive, like food/water/clothing/whatever, but when i do have the extra cash to splurge, i'll do it.

i've had knock-off mains before, but i was perfectly fine with that. i knew i wasnt going to get the original, but that never bothered me.

if i saved all the money i've spent on Furcadia (digos, alts, spaces, art, etc), i'd be halfway to a pre-owned car. its a stupid move on my part, but i know i'll be able to resell what i've bought for the price i payed, give or take. even my 'dnb' alts have a price somewhere. i'm not stupid. i'll accept an offer if i think it fits what i'd want for it.

this thread is not meant for you to bash, flame, etc, on people who have spent hundreds of dollars on alts. it is merely for people to express their oppinions in a non-hurtful way.

i do not want to see any finger pointing, direct attacks, or anything else of the such

if i see any of these, i'll be sure to contact a staff to have the post removed/edited/whatev

ty.

Offline Narnia

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #1: June 11, 2008, 02:47:34 PM»
I don't know why anyone pays so much for alts.

In the end, you don't own it. DEP does.
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Offline Julie

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #2: June 11, 2008, 02:56:51 PM»
Quote from: "Narnia"
I don't know why anyone pays so much for alts.

In the end, you don't own it. DEP does.

thats another point i was gonna make, but i had heard it so long ago i wasnt even sure if i was positive about that or if my mind made it up

Offline Narnia

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #3: June 11, 2008, 02:59:56 PM»
I feel that alts are purchased because people can't be original.

When making a new alt I have always gotten the name I wanted (except when creating very specific parody alts).
"The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of the Furcadia Alt Market, Dragon's Eye Production, or Furcadia."

Black Rain

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #4: June 11, 2008, 03:41:53 PM»
I agree to the fact that many people will spend shitloads of money on alts for basicly no reason to, just wanting them to fit in the "I have an original name so, I am cool" group. But, anyone who spends 100 or more for an alt or, some alts is incredibly ignorant. :\

Digital Love

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #5: June 11, 2008, 03:47:54 PM»
I honestly think that's because people have too much money on their hands they don't need to spend on more vital things.

I only get 400 euros a month and I need to pay health insurance, college, books, telephone and food with that. If I want to buy something I pay for it with money I got from drawing or doing friends favors they pay me for (such as help with a website or a project). That means my budget is usually limited and I can't afford much. My limit is really at 30GD for a well ported, well named alt. I refuse to go higher. All the alts that I want due to sentimental value (such as my lover's rl name or my old pet's name), I already have.

Some people dish out a lot of money for alts they want because they are crazy fans or the name has a sentimental value. Even though this is just a game, you get to design and have fun with this alt and share it with several thousand people. That's why we RP, right? Or why we hang around OOCly; because we love how we've designed our characters, or they're a representation of ourselves or how we want to be. And showing that off to people lets us make new friends. <.<

Similarly, it's a way of getting attention. When I sit around on my alt Digital Love I get comments about how people love the song and even whisper me with offers to send me fan material or show me cool videos and remixes of the song. With certain alts you can get a lot of attention and I think primarily, people who spend hundreds of dollars on alts have money to spare and a yearn for attention, recognition and status.

If you have a lot of money to use like that, you must be important, right?

Offline Masha

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #6: June 11, 2008, 03:48:49 PM»
Black Rain-The word would be Stupid. x3; They know what they're doing, and do it anyway. Thus, stupid. Ignorant would mean they had no clue, and must be educated to the fact. :>

The only names I've never gotten were just simple names like Kerry, or something. But I would never pay an ass load of money for it. x3; I might draw for it, but I won't pay for it. Drawing is something "renewable" in a way, whereas money is gone once ya spend it. You can get more, but it takes hella lot of work, usually. So I wouldn't spend money on something I could lose at any time (if furc shut down). Or, well, atleast not more than a small sum.

I somehow got lucky enough to snag the name Boogy. x3;

Tachs is usually not a taken name, wherever I go. The only places I've missed out on it are places that've been around for a while. DA, hotmail, aol, etc., where a name even as unused as mine will be taken.

Fairy

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #7: June 11, 2008, 03:50:21 PM»
A lot of people, like me and turquoise. Gain all of the money we spend on furcadia, FROM FURCADIA.
The other thing about the game is,
The way I look at it; If I have spare money and can support myself at the same time? I'm going to spend it on things I enjoy. Spending it online on a game I play a lot currently, is no different then wasting it on food I don't need, video games, or a pair of sunglasses. Those are just examples, but thats the way I feel about it.

Personally, part of the reason I spend money on alts. Is because at the current time, I'd like to own them. Not to mention, me and some other people get a good feeling about ourself when we know we have things others dont and cant have, because there is only one of it. Its the same thing as collecting original baseballs or whatever else applies to that rule.

We're humans, this is mostly our nature. People can sit there and lie and say "nuhuh, I'm not like that" , but for the majority, we are like that.

Offline MAU

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #8: June 11, 2008, 05:09:00 PM»
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:39:34 PM by she »

Digital Love

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #9: June 11, 2008, 05:20:59 PM»
I meant no offense to you Mauser, or anyone else who buys alts for a lot of money.

I just speak from experience; the few people I actually knew who spent a buttload of money on alts are in it for the attention. I base that on more things than just the purchase and flaunting of the alts, it's just the kind of people they are. And more often than not they are the rare types that spend hundred of dollars on alts and artwork just for the attention.

Also, it's not rare for people to whine at me and my friends, saying how low on cash they are and then going off to spend tons of money on alts. They can't afford their bills, but the money they get from selling digos, alts and artwork goes to shit like.. well, alts. Sometimes people have very messed up priorities.

I think all posts work, more or less. I've spent a fair amount on alts and digos myself - tallying up the money I spent totals to... a lot. I just think there should be limits to how much it'll be worth in the long run. 400 dollars for a name? 80 dollars for a 95x95 portrait? I will -never- understand how people can spend it on something like that. Attention whores or not, in my personal opinion that's a very irresponsible decision. :/

Offline Sync

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #10: June 11, 2008, 05:22:47 PM»
if we have already paid the essentials, why not spend money on something you will enjoy? i spend money on alts simply because they're fun to have and play around on. is it really so wrong?

i mean, why do people spend thousands of dollars on collector items? they don't actually do anything but stare at them and admire them. it's pretty much the same thing.

edit: sure, people who spend 1k on a naruto name are certainly dishing out a lot and i think that it's a bit much but it's what they want and of they've got the cash, i say let them.

Offline MAU

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #11: June 11, 2008, 05:49:04 PM»
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:38:07 PM by she »

Offline Mala

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #12: June 11, 2008, 06:23:31 PM»
Like Mauser and Kuja, I rarely use my money I have irl to spend on Furcadia. I only used it the first few weeks I played furc, and that was around $20 to buy me and a friend a pair of wings.

The rest of my scales have been made from selling arts, alts, and game currency. (Around $75 made in a half-year of playing!) Sure, I spent a lot of time working on ports and art that only sold for around 2-3GDs each, but sometimes you'll get big breaks that reward you.

An example is winning an art contest, or getting a huge offer on an alt. It might not happen that often, but when it does, its great. :3

And on the topic of having alts, the only ones I'd pay huge for are names that mean a lot to me. Such as Mina, which is my name in life, or Alegría, the name of an amazing Cirque du Soleil show that has caught my attention since I was seven. I'd pay most of what I have for them, regardless of what other people think.

Right now I'm totally fine with my main as Mina-chan. Most people just laugh at it since it sounds like a wapanese name, or they think I'm trying to be funny. I have alts that people would think "better" since they're real names, short names, names of something 'cool'.

People may spend several hundred dollars on an alt they like because it means something to them. Or they could buy it because it makes them feel better than others. I just tend to not pay too much attention to it, and I can't judge them because I don't really know why they did it.

Offline Zim

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #13: June 11, 2008, 06:36:38 PM»
Honestly, the alt I paid the most money for I only paid for because it was being sold by my then best friend, who was in sore need of money because she was waiting for the US to okay her right to work. I admit I wanted the alt, but if anyone else was selling it, I wouldn't have paid as much as I did.

Other people seem to have their own reasons for doing so... and regardless of whether you agree with them or not, it really is their money to do with what they want. Yes, it seems silly... but we have no control over their actions, and it's their money. They're not hurting us, so I can't complain.

I do agree though... that it's really ridiculous when people spend a ton of money on alts (and digos) and then whine that they can't pay rent or feed their kids.

</end roundabout babble>

I'm only mean out of necessity.

Offline MAU

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #14: June 11, 2008, 06:42:38 PM»
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:37:43 PM by she »

Offline Hugo

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #15: June 11, 2008, 07:13:05 PM»
I think it's ridiculous, but if I can make a name in 2 minutes and sell it for 50 bucks I won't complain.

Keep buying, dudes!

Offline Narnia

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #16: June 11, 2008, 09:11:55 PM»
I'm not really interested in this thread, but I want to say one thing in response to why do people buy collector's items.

I buy collector's items because then I own it. I physically possess it. I can look at it, I can burn it, I can sell it, I can give it away, I can pass it on to my children. I OWN that items. The same goes for any physical object I have. I buy an Xbox, because its mine. I buy a car, because its mine.

You can't compare buying physical tangible objects to buying virtual items. When you buy a physical object you are spending money on something that can't touch, hold, or possess. If you can't possess the items then all you are doing is borrowing it. If I want to borrow my friends clothes, I can do that. But if he wants them back he can take them at any time. I don't have to pay my friend $100 to borrow them though because we can physically exchange the item. If I gave my friend $100 to borrow his clothes, I would be buying them.

More power to the people who can capitalize on this system, but in the end someone is going to be hurt. As much as I love Furcadia, it will probably not be around forever. When that time comes around and DEP calls in all of their 'loans' what are you left with? Nothing. In fact, you're left with less than nothing because you never owned anything.

Though, I'll be blunt. If you don't have a materialistic mindset, you won't agree with me. I am a very materialistic person. I'll state openly that I make a fair amount of money for a 21 year old in the states and when my basic essentials are covered I'm first to buy material items for myself. I'm not a saver in the sense that I put money into a bank account. I invest my money into belongings.

Offline SLASHERS.

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #17: June 11, 2008, 09:35:38 PM»
I don't really agree with the people who claimed other people that spend money on alts are "Stupid" and "Ignorant" but i guess it kind of is a waste of money. But usually, when people do spend that much on an alt, its because Furcadia means a hell of a lot to them. In my opinion, people purchase names so their experience on Furcadia is somewhat enhanced, becasue they have a name they love. Same with digos, they can make their character more like the design, or just make it pretty, so they can enjoy it. And I half-agree with Narnia. Yeah, DEP pretty much owns all the alts, but you arent just borrowing it from them, it isn't like it's your obligated to return the name to them after you buy it, right? only you know that charachters password, ( most of the time.. ) and only you get to use that charachter. that may not have been the point you were trying to make, but that's what i got from it.. but anyway, that's just my two cents.

/prepares for flameage
you know what, if you don't like it, get on the internet and complain.

Offline MAU

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #18: June 11, 2008, 09:38:44 PM»
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:37:32 PM by she »

Offline Tony

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #19: June 11, 2008, 10:21:19 PM»
I really don't get what the big deal is. If people want to spend their money on furcadia, then let them. Who cares, it isn't anyone else's business what one does with their money anyway.

I personally wouldn't be trying to shit out, oh i don't know, five hundred bucks for a specific alt in my 'fandom' or anything like that, especially if i'm having money problems irl. I've actually never spent a dime on furcadia, the most I've actually spent on an alt was 45 dollars and it was paid for with spaces and GDs.

I'm sure everyone has heard about the eevee evolutions, and naruto + sasuke and how much money was forked out for those alts. But again, it isn't any of your business so don't run around, talking shit about: "Oh, bawww. I can't believe they spent so much money on here. What a bunch of dumbasses." Saying shit like that makes it seem like you're upset cause you don't have enough money to spend like that.

Anyway. This issue is lame. Let people spend their money any way they want. I'm sure people would find shit you spend all your money on to be stupid or a 'waste', but it's really a matter of person opinion and/or preference.

Offline Glory

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #20: June 11, 2008, 11:53:06 PM»
Eventually everything, material or virtual, is going to be gone. Be it by eating it, wearing it to death, or any other human destructive abilities, or even death if you think about it.
I spend more on artwork (mostly portraits) then I do on alts, almost nothing on digos excepting dragon scales. I of course make money with my artwork, but I do spend money.

I don't really see the need to control others actions, I am a very saving person but even I decide to invest in these one place names because I truly am either a fan of its meaning or how it sounds.
I kind of find it rather disgusting that many decide to dictate regularly that "Anyone who spends a hundred or even a twenty on a name is obviously a snobbish person that is overly elitest, <insert long list of flaws here>.", not only is it a stereotype, but I find it a very inaccurate one.
How many of you have been flamed by a nice name rather then something like blue_puppy24346 for example?

This topic seems rather pointless in a way as we all know what the responses are going to be by now.
I don't use this website much.

Offline Hugo

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #21: June 12, 2008, 10:26:36 AM»
Just as a footnote:

This thread is not a crusade to stop people from buying alts. Don't get uppity, guys.

Just remember that it's a discussion and not an ultimatum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so you can't exactly come in saying: OMG IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT.

Likewise, try not to bring specific instances into it if you can help it.

Srsly now.

Offline Julie

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #22: June 12, 2008, 10:30:19 AM»
Quote from: "Hugo"
Just as a footnote:

This thread is not a crusade to stop people from buying alts. Don't get uppity, guys.

Just remember that it's a discussion and not an ultimatum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so you can't exactly come in saying: OMG IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT.

Likewise, try not to bring specific instances into it if you can help it.

Srsly now.

ty, hugo~

people being too srs. #SJ;;;;

Offline alice

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #23: June 12, 2008, 02:31:41 PM»
quite honestly, the only reason i bought/created any of the alts i have now is so i could design the char, pimp the alt up with ports and stuff, and then sell it for a shit load of money in the future.

the most expensive alt i own is alice, of course. she was $100 and i actually didn't even have the money to pay for her myself- my friend had to pay for her entirely (UGH ILU FOREVER WILL ;_; #SO). i made a promise with myself to never spend more than that on an alt. but you know what? that's a small price to pay for how much she's going to go for when i quit, not to mention some of the other alts i own.

i wouldn't doubt it if other people do the exact same thing.

Offline Narnia

alts b srs bsnss
«Reply #24: June 12, 2008, 02:37:46 PM»
Quote from: "Alice"
that's a small price to pay for how much she's going to go for when i quit, not to mention some of the other alts i own.

Devil's advocate here...

What happens if Furcadia quits running before you quit playing?