supersaver

Author Topic: Alt Scare.  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«: May 27, 2008, 08:52:51 AM»
So, I was happily trying to teach some newbies how to RP, when suddenly, the alt I was on logged off.

Naturally, I tried to log back in, to no avail.

So, I check my email, to pass the time. Sometimes my internet just dies and the network bar doesn't tell me.

There, in my inbox, is a 'Password Change Request'.
I open it, and my password has been changed to 'cookie'.

So I amend the .INI, log back in and see an email confirmation alert
- Warning: You will have to confirm your email address (email removed) within the next 4 days, or you will not be able to login with this character any longer. To confirm your email address, please check your mail. If this email address is not correct or you want a new copy of the confirmation email, please type setemail <email>. (URL: http://www.furcadia.com/email.html) Click here for further instructions.

I AM NOT (email removed).

Now, please do not lobby them, but I have been told that the email in question belongs to Dessie. I'm not sure how accurate this is, and i'm not jumping to conclusions, but PLEASE, be careful.

UPDATE: I DID NOT get permission to post logs of my whispers between Dessie and I, but I have been told that it is his brother's address, and Dessie will ensure it WILL NOT happen again. He says he is a private person, so don't whisper him.

Offline Zodiac

Alt Scare.
«Reply #1: May 27, 2008, 05:43:02 PM»
Do you have any idea how this came about in the first place?

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«Reply #2: May 27, 2008, 08:30:18 PM»
Absoloutely no idea how it happened.
The alt Enzo was given to me by a friend (Luxury), who legitimately bought it from someone named Damian M? (Who I have recently gained the alt Costello from)

Immediately upon recieving it, I changed the e-mail, then the pass.
I then transferred a pair of Life ButterflyWings from the character Ooz onto Enzo.

Oh, here's an email relay between the address in question, and myself:

Stealing is against the rules of Furcadia. I can and will report you
    if I see this email registered on my character again.

Please do not do it.

-Enzo

Reply:

ok sorri

The password change email I recieved was the sort you get when your password has been successfully changed.

Digital Love

Alt Scare.
«Reply #3: May 28, 2008, 12:46:50 AM»
I believe Furcadia can track who had access to your alt that day besides you (and of course they can compare email addresses). If you email [email protected] they -should- be able to help you out further with finding out who did it.

Of course that's up to you, you seem pretty generous with giving people chances. :)

In my humble opinion, if I were you I'd be worried how my password was found out to begin with though. Did you share any alts? Used it before on a different alt somewhere?

Offline Julie

Alt Scare.
«Reply #4: May 28, 2008, 02:20:51 AM»
I personally found it easier to just contact Cironir in-game. I sent [email protected] and [email protected] but only recieved one reply, but when i contacted Ciro in-game it was resolved.. fairly quickly.

Digital Love

Alt Scare.
«Reply #5: May 28, 2008, 02:27:20 AM»
True perhaps, but from what I recall Cironir always recommends emailing [email protected] anyhow. If I were him I wouldn't want all my time on Furc to be spent replying to people's whispers and be unable to do much else. :)

Offline Julie

Alt Scare.
«Reply #6: May 28, 2008, 02:38:13 AM»
It is recommended, probably because Cironir doesn't want to be flooded with whispers about small tiny problems, as you said, and would rather focus on the bigger ones when he can.

But this situation seems... Well, not really 'resolved', but somewhere between 'not going to happen again' and 'shaky ground'.

I know Ciro comes here sometimes, so if Ook needs help by the time he rolls around, I'm sure he'd help in some way if he can.

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«Reply #7: May 28, 2008, 05:39:50 PM»
Quote from: "Digital Love"
In my humble opinion, if I were you I'd be worried how my password was found out to begin with though. Did you share any alts? Used it before on a different alt somewhere?

I am highly worried - so much that I have changed all my alt's passwords.

ALSO: To any of you who have whsipered Dessie. I SAID NOT TO. He has been driven to quit Furcadia because of this, and you should all feel ashamed.

Sookan

Alt Scare.
«Reply #8: May 28, 2008, 07:20:11 PM»
if he hacked you, he should feel ashamed, shouldn't he?

regardless, if he's "quit" furcadia anyway, you might want to have cironir look into it now.

Offline ADALEINE

Alt Scare.
«Reply #9: May 28, 2008, 07:22:56 PM»
I highly doubt he quit, probably got a different name and is going under that now.

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«Reply #10: May 28, 2008, 10:06:42 PM»
Yes, if he hacked me he should.
However I did clearly state not to whisper him.

I also reported the hack to the guardians in game. I'm unsure if they recieved my report through the Helper channel/chat channel though.

Offline Eevee

Alt Scare.
«Reply #11: May 29, 2008, 01:00:46 AM»
In-game? LOL. You need to email them so the guardian heads have access to it instead of just whoever you told that day.

Offline Blair

Alt Scare.
«Reply #12: May 29, 2008, 05:53:24 PM»
damian m? didn't he try to sell mephisto when he really only had mAphisto? i swear i've seen it in one of the far-back threads. </useless>
R.I.P. Samuel Richard Ernest; July 13, 1986 - October 3, 2008.

Offline Julie

Alt Scare.
«Reply #13: May 29, 2008, 08:06:00 PM»
Quote from: "Shorty"
damian m? didn't he try to sell mephisto when he really only had mAphisto? i swear i've seen it in one of the far-back threads. </useless>

i remember that case, too. dont remember who it was, though. *does some searching*

Edit: found it! last thread in the forum :>

http://altmarket.net/viewtopic.php?t=641

Offline Blair

Alt Scare.
«Reply #14: May 29, 2008, 09:56:31 PM»
Quote from: "Ju"
Quote from: "Shorty"

i remember that case, too. dont remember who it was, though. *does some searching*

Edit: found it! last thread in the forum :>

http://altmarket.net/viewtopic.php?t=641

I KNEW IT. TAKE THAT BILL COSBY.

anyways, yeah.

i wouldn't trust this person; they've had quite a bit of history in alt thievery(sp?).
R.I.P. Samuel Richard Ernest; July 13, 1986 - October 3, 2008.

Saharah

Alt Scare.
«Reply #15: May 30, 2008, 02:53:13 AM»
Excuse me people why do I see my named being invovled in this.

Offline Julie

Alt Scare.
«Reply #16: May 30, 2008, 03:02:17 AM»
Quote from: "Damian M"
Excuse me people why do I see my named being invovled in this.

Quote from: "Ook"
The alt Enzo was given to me by a friend (Luxury), who legitimately bought it from someone named Damian M? (Who I have recently gained the alt Costello from)

thats where it was first brought up, shorty thought you were involved in the maphisto/mephisto, but i dont see your name anywhere in that thread. i'm assuming shorty was mistaken and thinking of another person, unless i overlooked your name

Saharah

Alt Scare.
«Reply #17: May 30, 2008, 03:04:33 AM»
Please do not wrongly acuse people make sure you get the facts first shorty.

Offline Zodiac

Alt Scare.
«Reply #18: May 30, 2008, 04:33:38 PM»
Keep the thread on the subject of the alt in hand. The thread Shorty linked does not seem to be a relevant link to this case.

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«Reply #19: May 30, 2008, 04:49:58 PM»
Quote from: "Turquoise"
Keep the thread on the subject of the alt in hand. The thread Shorty linked does not seem to be a relevant link to this case.

I agree. Also, please clear all blame from Damian. I believe him not to have done anything wrong.

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«Reply #20: May 31, 2008, 06:15:42 PM»
I recieved an anonymous tip containing the names black charm and snipers. Apparently these two are either rotting or banned.

Cironir, any information as to if and when they were banned? And if their IP was used on Enzo on the date of the first post of this thread?

Offline Cironir

Alt Scare.
«Reply #21: June 01, 2008, 01:02:17 AM»
If you want this to be looked into, you need to send an email with proper information: the email address it was changed to (I see seven or eight email changes for that character in May alone), the log you can't post here (including time stamp), the "anonymous tip" (including where it was received), who you share your alts with, if you use multiple computers, etc.

This looks like a typical alt trading mess, though, and our rules may not even recognize you as the legitimate user of that character.

Offline Ook

Alt Scare.
«Reply #22: June 01, 2008, 04:04:38 PM»
Alright, I'll email it all ASAP

supersaver