supersaver

Author Topic: Case Closed!  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Atheist

Case Closed!
«: February 20, 2008, 01:52:56 PM»
I have no idea where to put this, so I suppose seeking advice from others belong here..?

I sold an alt to someone for one portrait space about a month or more ago and I have repeatedly asked them to change the password and e-mail address to the alt via PMs in FAM. By checking the outbox I can see that they're reading my messages asking this of them, but they consistently do not heed them. I am still very much able to claim this alt, but as such, I'm not that sort of person. n-n;;

My query is, what should I do in this situtation? I'm almost certain this alt is not being used and it is ported. Even if it was being used, it's not being used wisely--obviously.

Any suggestion would be most helpful. My assumption is that I just leave it alone?

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Sync

Case Closed!
«Reply #1: February 20, 2008, 01:56:43 PM»
i have the same problem lol...

but the problem is, the person doesn't even have FAM -shot-

Offline Atheist

Heh heh..
«Reply #2: February 20, 2008, 02:00:59 PM»
I'd say your problem was worse than mine. n-n;;

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Gallifreyan

Case Closed!
«Reply #3: February 20, 2008, 02:12:05 PM»
If its sold and they haven't changed the pass, then delete the INI file, which is what I've done with all alts I've sold. You don't have the INI then you can't access it accidentally or try out if you can.

If they haven't changed the pass its up to them to do so...and If you leave the alt alone, it's all fair play. The best I can think of, sorry =/

Offline Kratos

Case Closed!
«Reply #4: February 20, 2008, 02:26:11 PM»
i've been wondering about this as well.
except i don't even know who the owners are.
one alt is ported, the others aren't.
i'm waiting for the others to expire, and i guess since the other is ported, it doesn't matter since it doesn't take up space.

Offline Mychelle

Case Closed!
«Reply #5: February 20, 2008, 02:34:25 PM»
Usually when it comes down to something like this, I don't bother with it. If they don't want to take the time to change the email thats on them as far as I am concerned, since most of us on here know what to do when it comes to changing emails and passwords to alts you trade or pay for.

Only times I have ever taken action is when I get a notice in my inbox saying the alt is going to expire if its not signed onto soon. Usually by then I don't have any remorse for the person, and I sign onto the alt and change the password. If they cant sign it on or change the email before the time I get that notice, then I really do not care. Heh.

Ive only done that very rarely though. I think *maybe* three times. And all three times I have had only one person come back to bitch to me about it. Saying I stole the name back. But upon showing them the email I got they quickly shut up. And yes, I gave the name back to them. But told them if it happened a 2nd time I wouldn't be returning it.

Thats how I handle it. -shrugs-
Im letting my alts rot. So dont ask.

Offline Kratos

Case Closed!
«Reply #6: February 20, 2008, 02:43:04 PM»
Quote from: "Mychelle"
Usually when it comes down to something like this, I don't bother with it. If they don't want to take the time to change the email thats on them as far as I am concerned, since most of us on here know what to do when it comes to changing emails and passwords to alts you trade or pay for.

Only times I have ever taken action is when I get a notice in my inbox saying the alt is going to expire if its not signed onto soon. Usually by then I don't have any remorse for the person, and I sign onto the alt and change the password. If they cant sign it on or change the email before the time I get that notice, then I really do not care. Heh.

Ive only done that very rarely though. I think *maybe* three times. And all three times I have had only one person come back to bitch to me about it. Saying I stole the name back. But upon showing them the email I got they quickly shut up. And yes, I gave the name back to them. But told them if it happened a 2nd time I wouldn't be returning it.

Thats how I handle it. -shrugs-

what if it's ported?
it bothers me to have an alt that isn't mine on my list, but if i have to i'll leave it i guess.

Offline Mychelle

Case Closed!
«Reply #7: February 20, 2008, 02:47:20 PM»
Quote from: "Penelope"
what if it's ported?
it bothers me to have an alt that isn't mine on my list, but if i have to i'll leave it i guess.

Well, yeah ported would be different. How long as the email been listed as yours? Over 3/4/5+ months?

If it hadnt been ported would it have expired by now? >.> heh.

Offline Kratos

Case Closed!
«Reply #8: February 20, 2008, 02:58:14 PM»
Quote from: "Mychelle"
what if it's ported?

Well, yeah ported would be different. How long as the email been listed as yours? Over 3/4/5+ months?

If it hadnt been ported would it have expired by now? >.> heh.

pretty sure it's been on my e-mail for like 3+ months.
i barely remember the trade itself lol.

Offline Mychelle

Case Closed!
«Reply #9: February 20, 2008, 03:00:54 PM»
pretty sure it's been on my e-mail for like 3+ months.
i barely remember the trade itself lol.

I wouldnt feel bad about it then, changing the password I mean. If they havent changed the password in three months that is their fault. That, and if they do realize the password was changed on them, they'll come to you and thats your point to lecture them, and maybe they'll learn their lesson.

Offline Cironir

Case Closed!
«Reply #10: February 20, 2008, 03:09:25 PM»
If you sold it, don't touch it. If you feel you must, return the payment and then change the password. Do not change the password while keeping the payment. If it is reported, you stand a good change of getting suspended for scamming. Characters you sold and received payment for should no longer be any of your business. You shouldn't even check. Doesn't matter if it's a week, a month or a year.

(It's not supported either way, but the payment is the key aspect here.)

Offline Atheist

Thank you!
«Reply #11: February 20, 2008, 03:12:34 PM»
Thank you very much. I appreciate the sudden and firm responses. I appreciate it a lot. I'll never look at it again. Case closed, folks.

Dirk | Atheist | Foxen

Offline Kratos

Case Closed!
«Reply #12: February 20, 2008, 03:15:13 PM»
Quote from: "Cironir"
If you sold it, don't touch it. If you feel you must, return the payment and then change the password. Do not change the password while keeping the payment. If it is reported, you stand a good change of getting suspended for scamming. Characters you sold and received payment for should no longer be any of your business. You shouldn't even check. Doesn't matter if it's a week, a month or a year.

payment vs. alt for alt trade?
still considered payment?
just wanting confirmation here.
i don't even remember who the hell the person is so i can't exactly ask them about it, and they never logon the alt.

i'm just annoyed that it's on my e-mail when it's not even mine.
i wish there was a much easier way to fix that.

Offline Mychelle

Case Closed!
«Reply #13: February 20, 2008, 03:27:42 PM»

Alrighty. Since there hasnt been any "set down" forth rules on the matter before I simply just decided off of experience what to do. o.O heh. But like Penelope said, payment would be different from alt-for-alt trade? Or would the same rule apply?

Offline Cironir

Case Closed!
«Reply #14: February 20, 2008, 03:38:38 PM»
This tabby (currently in fox skin!) doesn't really want to deal with "alt for alt" trades. :p But well, ethically, I do feel that an alt is also payment. Selling something and then taking it back, ending up with both the sold "good" and whatever you received as payment, is troublesome and at least morally questionable. It is the kind of thing that while it may not get you "banned", has the very real potential of destroying your reputation. You can say that it is the other party's fault, but would you want to take advantage of someone who may be overly trusting you or who is just uneducated?

Offline Mychelle

Case Closed!
«Reply #15: February 20, 2008, 03:52:23 PM»
This tabby (currently in fox skin!) doesn't really want to deal with "alt for alt" trades. :p But well, ethically, I do feel that an alt is also payment. Selling something and then taking it back, ending up with both the sold "good" and whatever you received as payment, is troublesome and at least morally questionable. It is the kind of thing that while it may not get you "banned", has the very real potential of destroying your reputation. You can say that it is the other party's fault, but would you want to take advantage of someone who may be overly trusting you or who is just uneducated?

Well really it then goes against the case of if said person has been told *multiple* times to change the email/password and what-not. Which I know I have always done when I find out someone hasn't done so whenever I trade something. And in those cases I doubt people really want to sit there and keep babying someone who has already been told plenty of times what they need to do. In that case they wouldn't really be uneducated?

Offline Cironir

Case Closed!
«Reply #16: February 21, 2008, 12:48:51 AM»
Why is it a problem for you if someone who paid for a character isn't changing the password? It's careless, sure, but how does it affect you? I actually feel that it's a little strange to even "check" if a password was changed after the payment was received. Also, like I said, I believe that if someone takes back an alt, they should give back the payment. What is troublesome in my opinion is the situation where the seller ends up with both the "sold" character and the payment they received for it.

Offline Zodiac

Case Closed!
«Reply #17: February 21, 2008, 01:10:22 AM»
I think peoples biggest issue with others not changing the email and password of a character after a trade, is that it takes up 1/10 slots on the email address if the character does not have a digo on it. Then they can't add their own character that they use, and there is no way for them to force a name off.

Offline Cironir

Case Closed!
«Reply #18: February 21, 2008, 01:16:20 AM»
Well, there is the option to return the payment, and then take back the character. :)

Offline Zodiac

Case Closed!
«Reply #19: February 21, 2008, 01:17:31 AM»
Can't we just add the Brick To The Face button for people who don't change their email? :D

Offline Jack O'Neill

Case Closed!
«Reply #20: February 21, 2008, 08:12:16 AM»
I wish there was a way to delete a character off your email buy force. Instead of just having it expire, Theres been a buttload of characters I don't want on my email anymore and I delete their ini's and have to wait a month+ until they expire off my list, its kinda annoying. ><

</useless comment.>

(Though it would help people who they've sold alts to and don't want that alt on their email anymore.)
Whisper Jack O'Neill if you need to Contact me. <3

Offline Kratos

Case Closed!
«Reply #21: February 21, 2008, 09:28:33 AM»
Quote from: "Hyde"
I wish there was a way to delete a character off your email buy force. Instead of just having it expire, Theres been a buttload of characters I don't want on my email anymore and I delete their ini's and have to wait a month+ until they expire off my list, its kinda annoying. ><

</useless comment.>

(Though it would help people who they've sold alts to and don't want that alt on their email anymore.)

despite i don't see it happening, i second this.

Tala

Case Closed!
«Reply #22: February 21, 2008, 10:24:01 AM»
If I had an unported alt still on my email, I'd log it and change the email to something random and make the person change the email xD

Offline Cironir

Case Closed!
«Reply #23: February 21, 2008, 11:00:49 AM»

It won't be an issue when accounts and secure alt trading are released this year. The system will transfer a character from one account to another account, so no email or password changes are required. This will be the only form of alt trading. (Sharing or trading of entire accounts will violate the TOS.)

Offline Sync

Case Closed!
«Reply #24: February 21, 2008, 11:59:11 AM»

It won't be an issue when accounts and secure alt trading are released this year. The system will transfer a character from one account to another account, so no email or password changes are required. This will be the only form of alt trading. (Sharing or trading of entire accounts will violate the TOS.)
waitwaitwait
i read on the furcadia forums that sharing was ok as long as you didn't come whining that you lost your digos/access to the alt/whatever else.